• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

duppolo

what do u think of this pc?
Ankermann Hornet PC Gamer AMD FX-6200 (6x 3.80GHz) | EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti 2048MB DDR5 | 16 GB di RAM DDR3 | Card Reader 52in1 | 2,0 TB HDD SATA3 | stagista wireless | MSI scheda USB3.0 | 24xDVD Writer | FSP 600W PSU | Caso HORNET 0300NG | Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
I can buy it for 840€ in europe, its a nice machine capable of give me high gaming experience for at least 3 year from now? the price is right? i can buy something better in another place?

knitoe

A friend has had an SSD as his main/only drive for a while. Recently he added a 3TB HDD as a second drive and its slowed down boot times by about 30 seconds. Is there a setting that needs to be changed or is this thing just slowing it down?

Is the added boot time before or after first seeing the Windows loading screen?

what do u think of this pc?
Ankermann Hornet PC Gamer AMD FX-6200 (6x 3.80GHz) | EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti 2048MB DDR5 | 16 GB di RAM DDR3 | Card Reader 52in1 | 2,0 TB HDD SATA3 | stagista wireless | MSI scheda USB3.0 | 24xDVD Writer | FSP 600W PSU | Caso HORNET 0300NG | Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
I can buy it for 840€ in europe, its a nice machine capable of give me high gaming experience for at least 3 year from now? the price is right? i can buy something better in another place?
Absolutely not, you'll be struggling with that GPU on a lot of games in the near future.

mug

Good for you? You're crazy if you think that thing will give 'a high gaming experience' for the next 3 years.
It really depends on the user honestly. I have a GTX 460 that I bought in 2009 that performs quite admirably in high detail at that resolution as well.

For BF3 / Metro LL / Crysis 3.

tauke

In the course of researching my new build several people have told me to choose eVGA or Gigabye over ASUS. I don't have any concrete evidence that ASUS cards have some sort of systematic problem.

All things being equal I've always went with EVGA just for their customer support and warranty. That said I haven't bought an EVGA card in awhile.

Thanks for the feedback! Guess I'll go with EVGA if they still have stock.

Sober

Haswell offers you an element of future-proofing, but given the slow rate of CPU development (a 2-3yr old i7-2600K is better at OC'd speeds), you may be able to save money by buying Ivy or Sandy Bridge components.

RE: The GPU, some round here are rather against 4GB VRAM, but I personally think it'll be needed for max texture settings in the foreseeable future, and that's not me saying that just to generate extra revenue for NVIDIA or our partners.
Honestly with the prices here it is literally only 10-20$ difference from 3rd to 4th gen.

Also I'm probably more likely to jump on the evga 2gb.

Mr. Hyde

What is the best program to format a hard drive? I installed my dead computer's internal HDD (it was only a couple months old) into my new PC as a secondary drive and it still has windows 8 and other things on it I'd like to erase.

mug

What is the best program to format a hard drive? I installed my dead computer's internal HDD (it was only a couple months old) into my new PC as a secondary drive and it still has windows 8 and other things on it I'd like to erase.
What OS are you using? If it's W7, there's a program installed called Computer Management - click Disk Management afterwards and you should be able to format/create a new partition.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

Windows' own Computer Management. Start typing that into the Start Menu, then when it's loaded go into Storage > Disk Management

Mr. Hyde

What OS are you using? If it's W7, there's a program installed called Computer Management - click Disk Management afterwards and you should be able to format/create a new partition.

I am indeed using Windows 7. Okay thanks. And I still have 80 gigs of free space on my SSD. I guess it's time to figure out which applications benefit the most from it.

Since the last reports from anandtech and others on microstuttering I've become more sensitive on the matter and with my 7850 i've been noticing some stutterings occuring globally on every game I play.

Actually, it is a single stutter that occurs every 30 seconds or so. Does anybody ever had my same issue? I'm running on win7 64bit, single 7850 no OCed, 3750k no OCed, latest amd beta drivers with catalyst software suite.

It's driving me insane, can't enjoy old games like The Witcher or online games because of this.

duppolo

Good for you? You're crazy if you think that thing will give 'a high gaming experience' for the next 3 years.
ok, thanks. so could you give me any advice where and what to buy at a similar price to be happy? Im from italy and i have a 460 gtx, so i can buy late another vga, but i really have to change all the other components

mkenyon

Banned
GAF mATX fans

Thinking of swapping out the 'Enthusiast' case section in the OP with mATX as I think that'd be more helpful. Right now, leaning towards putting in (in order of least expensive to most):

Silverstone PS07

PS07-34Vies.jpg

Corsair 350D

Fractal Define Mini

Silverstone SG10

Let me know if I should be looking at some others as well.

duppolo

another question: im europeaon from italy: if i have a friend in the usa can i ask him to buy me the computer and send it to me?

Ieu

Oooooh, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions if you go with that case. That one was a close second for me, but opted for the Arc Midi instead.

I own that case and it's a delight.

EDIT: That meaning the 550D.

My only grumbles are
  • The aluminium front panel does not seems to have an easy release if you needed to access the bays for DVDs or the air filter.
  • The side and top panels can be a little awkward to put on at first if you're not exactly how they should line up.

[*]The side and top panels can be a little awkward to put on at first if you're not exactly how they should line up.

Those panels are basically the reason I didn't go for the case - because while the case looks gorgeous with them on, if you're going to install case fans then the panels would have to remain off, correct? And I would agree with some people that the grills have a slightly 'unfinished' look. What would look cool is if you could raise the panels off the case like 1/2" to allow airflow, but still keep the paneled look.

diehard

Fleer
Any thoughts on my build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/chiablo/saved/1I8e

I'm currently running on a 6-year-old Intel Q6600. I already have an acceptable video card at the moment and a decent 600W corsair PSU, so I just need everything else replaced.

the Crucial M4 uses pretty old controller now, taking some $ away from the motherboard and putting it towards a 840 pro instead would be a good idea.

I have a GD65 Gaming and its pretty dang nice.

chiablo

the Crucial M4 uses pretty old controller now, taking some $ away from the motherboard and putting it towards a 840 pro instead would be a good idea.

I have a GD65 Gaming and its pretty dang nice.

I wanted good onboard sound so that I can get away from SoundBlaster cards, if the marketing material is to be believed, the RoG boards are great for this. I already have a 128GB M4 and wanted a second for a RAID0 configuration.

Planning on delidding? If not, then you are overspending on the heat sink. The haswell heat issue is not something that can be solved with a more powerful cooler.

The cooler is more for noise concerns than anything else. I plan on running it on the lowest setting and not doing an aggressive overclock. My current machine sounds like an airplane taking off, which is distracting without headphones on.

diehard

Fleer
I wanted good onboard sound so that I can get away from SoundBlaster cards, if the marketing material is to be believed, the RoG boards are great for this. I already have a 128GB M4 and wanted a second for a RAID0 configuration.
It might sound strange but i would still take a 840 pro + money from selling the M4 than two M4's in raid 0.

HoosTrax

GAF mATX fans

Thinking of swapping out the 'Enthusiast' case section in the OP with mATX as I think that'd be more helpful. Right now, leaning towards putting in (in order of least expensive to most):
I'm all for it. Every time I see someone post pictures of a build that consists of a giant ATX case with a single video card and one hard drive inside, I want to facepalm.

Like, I get that some people are going to say, "well I might want to SLI in the future". No you won't, trust me. If you haven't done it right off the bat, the chances of you ever doing it is very small imho.

chiablo

It might sound strange but i would still take a 840 pro + money from selling the M4 than two M4's in raid 0.

I'm making some assumptions here, but I think I'd be OK either way...

Based on this graph, the performance from a single drive to two drives in RAID0 is 57% performance increase:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-raid-0-charts-2011/CrystalDiskMark-3.0-x64,2623.html

This graph compares single SSD speeds: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-charts-2012/CrystalDiskMark-Random-Read-4-KB-QD-32,2802.html

The 840 gets 406MB/s
A single M4 gets 191.2MB/s

2xM4 should be around 300MB/s

I'll definitely keep the 840 in mind though, thanks for the suggestion.

Bit-Tech are pretty impressed with the new Corsair Carbide dual-chamber case, it appears: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2013/06/19/corsair-carbide-air-540-review/1

You're either going to love or hate the looks, but for those of you who shove your system behind or under a desk that won't matter one bit.

Edit: Acoustic performance isn't the best in Hexus' tests, unfortunately: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/56953-corsair-carbide-series-air-540/?page=4

I wonder if this case can be turned horizontally, which I can see being possible. Then just adding some feet of your own to it.

mkenyon

Banned

The cooler is more for noise concerns than anything else. I plan on running it on the lowest setting and not doing an aggressive overclock. My current machine sounds like an airplane taking off, which is distracting without headphones on.
The best onboard sound in that price range can be found on the Gigabyte Sniper M5. It even has swappable OPAMPs.

If sound is your primary concern, get a CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO and then a really quiet fan to put on it. ~1200 RPM high pressure fan, like the Corsair SP120, Arctic Cooling F12, Cougar Vortex, or even a Med/Low speed Yate Loon.

asdad123

So my brother wants to upgrade his computer a little bit.

I'm not sure exactly which motherboard is in there right now as I'm at work, but he's got a Athlon II x4 640 CPU in there and the motherboard support AM2/3. Would there be any CPU worth upgrading to on that platform? Or should he spend the extra month for an i5 combo?

kharma45

Would a 650 watt PSU be sufficient to run two of these in SLI?

Unless the PSU is a Seasonic X Series or a variant of it I wouldn't.

So my brother wants to upgrade his computer a little bit.

I'm not sure exactly which motherboard is in there right now as I'm at work, but he's got a Athlon II x4 640 CPU in there and the motherboard support AM2/3. Would there be any CPU worth upgrading to on that platform? Or should he spend the extra month for an i5 combo?

If there is the funds available to go for the i5 I would. If you're near a Micro Centre there are some great deals on the IB ones.

asdad123

If there is the funds available to go for the i5 I would. If you're near a Micro Centre there are some great deals on the IB ones.

That's what I've been telling him, but he really wants to keep the CPU upgrade under $175 or so. Is there anything better AMD he could throw in there?

If not, I might just chip in some money for him so he can upgrade to the i5.

Addnan

So, wait a minute, I don't get Metro: LL for free with my 770? I guess the 700 series is excluded from the deal?
Where did you buy it from. I bought it from Scan in the UK, the page for 770 doesn't says anything about Metro, but I told them their homepage says anything above 660 gets LL and they emailed me a code. You can try the same.

chiablo

The best onboard sound in that price range can be found on the Gigabyte Sniper M5. It even has swappable OPAMPs.

If sound is your primary concern, get a CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO and then a really quiet fan to put on it. ~1200 RPM high pressure fan, like the Corsair SP120, Arctic Cooling F12, Cougar Vortex, or even a Med/Low speed Yate Loon.

Great, I didn't even know this mobo existed. I'll definitely check these options out.

kharma45

That's what I've been telling him, but he really wants to keep the CPU upgrade under $175 or so. Is there anything better AMD he could throw in there?

If not, I might just chip in some money for him so he can upgrade to the i5.

What is the exact motherboard that he has? If you happen to know it.

It's a Corsair TX650M.

I have a disability which affects my arms, plus my system has been built with expert cable management which I don't want to mess with.

Na I'd stick to a single card with it.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Hey guys,

This is my current pc:

I5 2500k @4.6GHz
4 gigs of ram
2x EVGA geforce 680 gtx in SLI

Hypothetically speaking, if I want to upgrade, am I correct in saying that the CPU is probably the bottleneck at this point and it should be my next upgrade?

kasane

So I didn't get answers anywhere else so I wish tech gaf could help me.

I'll just copy paste.

So my friend has a Windows 8 PC and he messed it up. He wanted to put Windows 7 on it so he downloaded something he said it was AOMEI partition or something. Now its completely messed up. It can go to operating system selection and BIOS if you chose to go windows 8 it would boot up just to show the sad face as I take the new BSOD. It would just restart and form an infinite loop of BSOD. Help please he keeps nagging me. :(

We also have a Windows 7 cd unused and it wont read it.

kharma45

Thanks, just saved myself £455.

Save that lovely cash for the 800 series or whatever AMD brings out and upgrade then to a new single card if there is something really, really good.

Hey guys,

This is my current pc:

I5 2500k
4 gigs of ram
2x EVGA geforce 680x gtx in SLI

Hypothetically speaking, if I want to upgrade, am I correct in saying that the CPU is probably the bottleneck at this point and it should be my next upgrade?

What motherboard do you have? A P67 or a Z68 by any chance? If so overclock that son of a bitch, your i5 has legs that need stretching. If you don't have one too you'll need a third party cooler rather than the stock one, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 is a great bang for buck option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom