• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

I'm pretty sure it's this one.

http://microcenter.com/product/379475/M5A78L-M_LX_PLUS_Socket_AM3_760G_mATX_AMD_Motherboard

One last question. Would it be wiser to upgrade the CPU or GPU first? He's got a gtx460 768mb. He's mainly interested I'm running MMOs such as FFXIV.

I dunno which I'd do first, I'd lean towards the GPU maybe as it is quite old but MMOs traditionally favour better CPUs. Since he's already rocking a quad core maybe do the GPU first.

CPU wise if he is adamant he doesn't want a new mobo you're looking at the AMD FX 8320 or the 8350. That motherboard supports them but you'll have to run them at stock speeds as it is not cut out for overclocking. You could try it but it might not be able to go very far. Again there are discounts to be had at a local Microcenter, 8350 is about $20 cheaper than everywhere else but the 8320 is only $5 cheaper. AMD will have new CPUs coming out too this year, October is the target date iirc. Expecting 30% IPC increase over Piledriver.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys,

This is my current pc:

I5 2500k @4.6GHz
4 gigs of ram
2x EVGA geforce 680 gtx in SLI

Hypothetically speaking, if I want to upgrade, am I correct in saying that the CPU is probably the bottleneck at this point and it should be my next upgrade?
Depending on your motherboard, you might actually be bottlnecked by PCI-E bandwidth. Are you running at x8/x8 or x16/x16?

The 2500K isn't an issue at all.

Hey guys,

This is my current pc:

I5 2500k @4.6GHz
4 gigs of ram
2x EVGA geforce 680 gtx in SLI

Hypothetically speaking, if I want to upgrade, am I correct in saying that the CPU is probably the bottleneck at this point and it should be my next upgrade?

I would say that there is absolutely so issue with your PC. It has enough horsepower to last a long, long, long time.

Of course, we don't know what your financial situation is. If for some reason you have wads of cash lying around that you want to spend, go upgrade your RAM for an 8 or 16, grab a 250gb SSG, and go grab a Haswell (because why not).

Of course, any upgrades will be pretty much unnoticeable in day to day use.

Smokey

reposting for new page

Crossposting from B/S/T thread:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64635921&postcount=11446

Selling:

b8bteVw.jpg

Geforce GTX TITAN Superclocked

$850

kharma45

I would say that there is absolutely so issue with your PC. It has enough horsepower to last a long, long, long time.

Of course, we don't know what your financial situation is. If for some reason you have wads of cash lying around that you want to spend, go upgrade your RAM for an 8 or 16, grab a 250gb SSG, and go grab a Haswell (because why not).

Of course, any upgrades will be pretty much unnoticeable in day to day use.

Does not compute.

If he's not being starved of PCIe bandwidth with the board there is 0 reason to move to Haswell.

SSD and an overclock is all I'd do it.

kharma45

Thanks, I'll have no problems with a SSD with my PSU will I? Cable wise do the SSD's come with all necessary cables to connect to the motherboard?

Oh and Intel stuff is OK too.

Na you'll have no issues, they use very little power. Cable wise you'd need to check, not all come with SATA cables. If they don't (and you've none lying around) you could pick one up for literally a quid.

Purchased the Never Settle AMD bundle on Ebay and snagged Bioshock + Tomb Raider + Blood Dragon for $20, what a steal. To anyone else who has taken advantage of this bundle did you encounter this where the Infinite key should be listed? Message: There is a temporary delay in delivery of some game keys. We will follow up soon with more information and apologize for any inconvenience.

If so, how long did it take before they sent out your key?

Just did this myself, and also ran into the same exact issue. Have you received your Bioshock Infinite key yet?

Smokey

I game on SLI Titsns at 1440p and some games, Tomb Raider, Metro LL, Crysis 3 and etc., I have to lower settings for lock 60fps.

Oh you were talking about 60fps. The only game I play on a consistent basis is BF3 and it handles that just fine in Mp with 64p. If I really want the smoothness I'll just hook up one of my asus' for 120hz @ 1080p.

kennah

I disagree with you guys - you need the fast indexing and search.

Also - Pump Top and Reservoir came in today! Now I just need two radiators, a pump and the rest of the fittings and I can build! (once the case comes in)

Mr. Hyde

Where did you buy it from. I bought it from Scan in the UK, the page for 770 doesn't says anything about Metro, but I told them their homepage says anything above 660 gets LL and they emailed me a code. You can try the same.

I wonder if I can e-mail Newegg and ask them for a free code for Metro LL. I bought my 770 from them.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
!! Just noticed that NCIX.ca has the i4670k on for sale for $249. The i3570k is $239.

I already bought the Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard. Is it compatible?

If so, I'm assuming jumping to the i4670k is a no brainer?

Edit: yeah, I need a new motherboard. I can take the Asus back though. Thoughts?

kennah

Performance between the two is negligable. If you need need the features on the other motherboard go for it, but staying with the 3750 won't hurt anything.

appaws

Banned
Bit-Tech are pretty impressed with the new Corsair Carbide dual-chamber case, it appears: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2013/06/19/corsair-carbide-air-540-review/1

You're either going to love or hate the looks, but for those of you who shove your system behind or under a desk that won't matter one bit.

Edit: Acoustic performance isn't the best in Hexus' tests, unfortunately: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/56953-corsair-carbide-series-air-540/?page=4

Tom Logan has a 14 minute first look up...full review next week he says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0qJY_PsVM&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_SN80_V2GymyCWM2oTYTeg

At first glance me likey, especially at that price.

Sober

alright, almost ready to order most of my parts listed below (I'm still thinking about which non-reference gtx770 I want). Prices are NCIX/CanadaComputers because I'd rather buy it there because they are literally 5/10 minutes out from where I live and more convenient for pickup or if I need to replace defectives or whatnot.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor - 250$
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - 30$
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard - 165$
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - 65$
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk - 170$
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - 65$
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case - 135$

This comes out to 880$ CDN. Only thing really on a time limit I'd care about is the CPU which ends tonight and goes back to 275$ on NCIX.

kharma45

alright, almost ready to order most of my parts listed below (I'm still thinking about which non-reference gtx770 I want). Prices are NCIX/CanadaComputers because I'd rather buy it there because they are literally 5/10 minutes out from where I live and more convenient for pickup or if I need to replace defectives or whatnot.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - 30$

This comes out to 880$ CDN. Only thing really on a time limit I'd care about is the CPU which ends tonight and goes back to 275$ on NCIX.

Only thing I'd do is change the SSD http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1088&item_id=053766

Already got a PSU?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to stick with the i3570k and ASUS mobo recommended in OP. both are known quantities whereas the haswell mobos have not been put through their paces. There's only a 5-10% bump between the 3570k and 4670k. Both can be over locked to 3.8+ ghz easily.

scogoth

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to stick with the i3570k and ASUS mobo recommended in OP. both are known quantities whereas the haswell mobos have not been put through their paces. There's only a 5-10% bump between the 3570k and 4670k. Both can be over locked to 4.8+ ghz easily.

Thats what you should be shooting for

Mr. Hyde

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to stick with the i3570k and ASUS mobo recommended in OP. both are known quantities whereas the haswell mobos have not been put through their paces. There's only a 5-10% bump between the 3570k and 4670k. Both can be over locked to 3.8+ ghz easily.

I went Haskell to be the guinea pig. I haven't tried to ocerclock it yet. I hear it is an emulation beast, though. 22 or so percent gain from last gen processor. I need to try some of my games on stock clock to test that.

kharma45

Yes, a big fat xfx 750 watter because when I bought it money > sense.

Good catch with the SSD, didn't see it but isn't the memory on a non-pro 840 series a little short lived regardless? Either way SanDisk shouldn't be a bad pick since they are a flash memory manufacturer.

Ah nice. Longevity on the 250GB model of the 840 is nothing to worry about.

belmonkey

Is there any reason there's very little information about new GPU releases until a month or less before launch? Granted, this is the first year of I've taken an interest in new releases, but so far it seems like there's nothing, no new information for a while, then all of a sudden all the details are known and the GPUs come out in a week or two.

Mr. Hyde

Is there a guide for overlooking haswell? I am thinking of taking it to 3.8ghz or so to test the heat and see if my chip is an awesome batch or not.

Sober

Is there a guide for overlooking haswell? I am thinking of taking it to 3.8ghz or so to test the heat and see if my chip is an awesome batch or not.
I thought you were supposed to start at 4.5/4.6 @ 1.2v to check where on the curve you lie for the silicon lottery.

Sober

Ha. I am afraid of doing that but I suppose I could play that game of Russian roulette.
I haven't done any crazy OC'ing but I'm almost certain these days if you do try and it doesn't take it's just going to BSOD or something and not go pop, flash and burn your motherboard down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom