• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
LOL. You're missing what I'm telling you. A good USB headset doesn't need any of that, it handles all the DAC internally. No internal sound card, no external sound card.

Unless you're wanting a set of headphones that will also work in an iPod or phone or something. Then you would need something (though I would recommend just trying with the Onboard sound first, most motherboards are in the 'just fine' category anyway.)
Ok, I've done some research as I've never heard of headphones with DAC's built-in.

Seems that they're 'ok', but I think for the price, I'd rather that money go to a higher quality headphone, especially if the encoding quality isn't going to be anything special.

I've found that the ASUS Xonar DG sound card seems to be a really great bang-for-buck internal sound card($30) that has a built-in headphone amp and should go a ways in making a decent set of headphones sound better.

This is just a mockup for now, but it has everything I'd need and its scraping awfully close to $800:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1arii

Sanjay

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anybody have any thoughts on the best free anti virus software available? Something that doesn't slow down the computer too much.

Also I saw Kaspersky was £20 half price. Would that be decent less resource-intensive paid option? Thanks

Kaspersky is free to Barclays account users btw.

kharma45

Thanks.
mITX mobo suggestions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£251.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£115.58 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £422.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-26 14:00 BST+0100)

Unless you're wanting to do emulation I would go Ivy Bridge over Haswell.

You could also max your budget with this

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£251.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£143.45 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £450.43
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-26 13:59 BST+0100)

Roland1979

I've found that the ASUS Xonar DG sound card seems to be a really great bang-for-buck internal sound card($30) that has a built-in headphone amp and should go a ways in making a decent set of headphones sound better.

I thought so to, till i saw this and read that Sound Blaster's main problem, drivers, have been fixed. So now i own a Sound Blaster Z card (haven't hooked it up yet).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJtJpD2beKA
Let your ears be the judge. Also, for any one who thinks on-board sound "will do fine".
Funny how humans (not you, in general) always focus on graphics, claims it's on gameplay and forget about sound.

Addnan

Mkenyon was saying that Gigabyte ITX boards do not allow overclocking, so keep that in mind if you want to overclock

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Thanks.
mITX mobo suggestions?

The mATX version of the same board, over £10 cheaper too:

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H - £93.96

Mkenyon was saying that Gigabyte ITX boards do not allow overclocking, so keep that in mind if you want to overclock

I have never had any issues overclocking on a Gigabyte board once they started making the Ultra-Durable designs, You might not get to the extreme upper limits of the Ivy Bridge chips with one admittedly, but the poster asked for a board inside a particular budget and no board in that budget is going to do that anyway.

TheD

The Detective
Ok, I've done some research as I've never heard of headphones with DAC's built-in.

Seems that they're 'ok', but I think for the price, I'd rather that money go to a higher quality headphone, especially if the encoding quality isn't going to be anything special.

This is just a mockup for now, but it has everything I'd need and its scraping awfully close to $800:

Avoid ASUS soundcards for headphone usage, they have a high output impedance.

dazzgc

Banned
Anyone here running sli 780s? How's the micro stuttering issue these days? I did it once with dual 280s and another with dual 4870s and wow it was absolutely HORRIBLE.

kharma45

Another suggestion for you Kamakazie, you could go mATX and Socket 2011

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (£215.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 EXTREME4-M Micro ATX LGA2011 Motherboard (£160.49 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£48.96 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £425.44
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-26 14:03 BST+0100)

You'd need a good case and cooling though for 2011 in a mATX form factor, and you won't be pushing OCs all the way to the top. Still, it's another option instead of the 3770K and the 4770K. However if it were me I'd probably just head down the 3770K route with one of those two ITX boards.

They do http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/52...l-z77-mini-itx-motherboard-review/index4.html and http://techreport.com/review/24426/gigabyte-ga-z77n-wifi-mini-itx-motherboard-reviewed/2 but you'll not be able to push them to top end OCs.

Flaxh

I bought the Asus MX239H yesterday and was really really happy with it but today I noticed a glowing pixel in the black screen while Windows was loading.

Should I return it? Is this kind of problem common or will I get a perfect screen?

I ran an online test and it seems that the pixel only glows when the screen is black.

Acosta

Another random reset yesterday... I have removed the AMD beta drivers and installed the last ones. But this is super weird. I have put 20 hours in Sleeping Dogs and it has reset like 4 or 5 times, how I am supposed to test what is wrong that way?

bro1

Banned

I have this SC and it's pretty good. I have a nice set of Sennheiser headphones (595) and they sound nice. Just an FYI though, in W8 the DGX does not play well with Skype. You need to quit Skype prior to shutting down otherwise you get an error message. it's a known bug and will hopefully be addressed soon.

bro1

Banned
Another random reset yesterday... I have removed the AMD beta drivers and installed the last ones. But this is super weird. I have put 20 hours in Sleeping Dogs and it has reset like 4 or 5 times, how I am supposed to test what is wrong that way?

sounds like you have a PSU issue.

Great thanks all for the suggestions.
I'll stick a few build pics up when (if) i get around to ordering / building over the next month or two.

Has anyone ever removed a PS/2 port off of a motherboard and what is the best way to take it off? I don't ever use the port and the reason is that with my case is that it is in the way of placing my water cooling in the fan slot due to being a HTPC.

Acosta

sounds like you have a PSU issue.

This doesn't look like any PSU problem I have encountered to be honest... Normally the computer shuts down or resets pretty fast when testing. I can't discard is a PSU problem of course, but it´s weird.

theytookourjobz

Anyone here running sli 780s? How's the micro stuttering issue these days? I did it once with dual 280s and another with dual 4870s and wow it was absolutely HORRIBLE.

Just installed 660s and the micro stutter is a nightmare in some games. Mostly third person games. Performance is great in most everything I've played though.

bro1

Banned
This doesn't look like any PSU problem I have encountered to be honest... Normally the computer shuts down or resets pretty fast when testing. I can't discard is a PSU problem of course, but it´s weird.

it's either PSU or heat. Worse case scenario it's your mobo PCI Express. Does your mobo allow you to use other PCI express lanes?

silentQ

You shouldn't need to install any raid drivers. Just select the drive when asked where you want to install during the Windows setup.

This problem is is that if you continue the install without loading the Raid drivers you get the following message after the installation is complete and it will continue to reboot endlessly:

"Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware."

If you see what Microsoft says about it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

They claim it is due to the Raid Drivers but as my other post said you cannot not install the Raid Driver because Windows thinks its unsigned.

Acosta

it's either PSU or heat. Worse case scenario it's your mobo PCI Express. Does your mobo allow you to use other PCI express lanes?

No, it´s a mini ITX, just one (hope is not that). Heat is something I have considered, but when I have checked the temperatures it looked pretty normal (the GPU gets hot, but not much beyond 70C, which I think it´s pretty normal for a 7970 working at maximum... Maybe I could underclock a bit and see how it goes to check that possibility.

Think I'm going use a one hour test with OCCT to see how it goes before opening the system again.

(thanks for the interest BTW ;) )

duppolo

2 question:
1)For the next 4-5 years do you think a processor of 2nd generetion is really so bad compered to one of 3rd of 4th generetion?

2)wich one of this 2 desktop do you prefer and why?

A)- 12Gb di ram
- Windows Vista 7 Home Premium a 64 bit
- Numero Di Core Processore: 4
- Processore Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600
- Cpu @ 3.40GHz
- Scheda Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
- Hard Disk interno da 2TB

B)- CASE ATX MIDI TOWER ANTEC P183
- MB ASUS P8Z68-V 1155 4xDDR3 2XUSB 3.0 PCI-E
- CPU INTEL i7 2600K QUAD CORE SKT 1155 3.4GHZ
- VGA PNY NVIDEA GEFORCE GTX 580 1.5GB DDR5 XLR8 PERFORMANCE EDITION
- RAM 8GB (2x 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz CORSAIR CMX4GX3M1A1600C9)
- HD 1TB 3.5 SATA3 WD CAVIAR BLACK 7200RPM
- ALIMENTATORE ATX 720W ENERMAX LIBERTY ECO II 80+ BRONZE
- DVD RW SATA SAMSUNG SH-222AB/BEBE BLACK DVD-/+
- SCHEDA INTERNA WIFI TP-LINK TL-WN851N 300Mbps CON ANTENNE
- WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM ITA 64BIT SP1 ORIGINALE

kennah

Second one has the overclockable processor, a good motherboard and a way better video card. Is actually a pretty solid build that would be passible for a while with the video card in it, and quite capable with a new video card.

knitoe

This problem is is that if you continue the install without loading the Raid drivers you get the following message after the installation is complete and it will continue to reboot endlessly:

"Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware."

If you see what Microsoft says about it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

They claim it is due to the Raid Drivers but as my other post said you cannot not install the Raid Driver because Windows thinks its unsigned.

I run raid 0 on my Asus P8P67 Deluxe, never needed to install raid drivers during Wondows install, or gotten any errors afterward.

Edit: Reading the link, the issue is resolved with SP1.

Addnan

2 question:
1)For the next 4-5 years do you think a processor of 2nd generetion is really so bad compered to one of 3rd of 4th generetion?

2)wich one of this 2 desktop do you prefer and why?

A)- 12Gb di ram
- Windows Vista 7 Home Premium a 64 bit
- Numero Di Core Processore: 4
- Processore Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600
- Cpu @ 3.40GHz
- Scheda Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
- Hard Disk interno da 2TB

B)- CASE ATX MIDI TOWER ANTEC P183
- MB ASUS P8Z68-V 1155 4xDDR3 2XUSB 3.0 PCI-E
- CPU INTEL i7 2600K QUAD CORE SKT 1155 3.4GHZ
- VGA PNY NVIDEA GEFORCE GTX 580 1.5GB DDR5 XLR8 PERFORMANCE EDITION
- RAM 8GB (2x 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz CORSAIR CMX4GX3M1A1600C9)
- HD 1TB 3.5 SATA3 WD CAVIAR BLACK 7200RPM
- ALIMENTATORE ATX 720W ENERMAX LIBERTY ECO II 80+ BRONZE
- DVD RW SATA SAMSUNG SH-222AB/BEBE BLACK DVD-/+
- SCHEDA INTERNA WIFI TP-LINK TL-WN851N 300Mbps CON ANTENNE
- WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM ITA 64BIT SP1 ORIGINALE

The second one is quite a bit better.

It has a 2600K so you can overclock it and get more performance from it.

It has a GTX 580 which was and still is a very good card, the 550Ti is pretty low end card.

duppolo

and for the procssor? dont you think i risk a lot to take now at 700€ a pc with a second generation processor, now that 4th one arrives and that new console push the accellerator? to buy or not to buy?

silentQ

I run raid 0 on my Asus P8P67 Deluxe, never needed to install raid drivers during Wondows install, or gotten any errors afterward.

Edit: Reading the link, the issue is solved with SP1.

Yeah I see that it is resolved with SP1 I am wondering did you install on your board with a SP1 disk? I am starting to suspect this is my problem, I have an older Windows 7 disk.

kennah

and for the procssor? dont you think i risk a lot to take now at 700€ a pc with a second generation processor, now that 4th one arrives and that new console push the accellerator? to buy or not to buy?

That 2600K is just as good as Haswell once you have a good overclock on it. The 2500K, 2600K, 2700K and 2550K are all perfectly viable with how games are coded these days. That generation was so good that the next two generations focused on PCIE3.0 and reduced power consumption (IVY) and further reduced power consumption and much better onboard graphics (HASWELL)

EDIT: I run a 2550K with no plans to upgrade for a few years.

Addnan

Not really. The 2600K is still a very good processor. Haswell is not that much better than Sandy Bridge. You will be missing out on a few things. There will be no PCI-E 3.0 support, but that shouldn't matter unless you buy the very high end graphics cards and I don't think Z68 boards have native USB 3 support.

Edit: really should up my typing speed.

knitoe

Yeah I see that it is resolved with SP1 I am wondering did you install on your board with a SP1 disk? I am starting to suspect this is my problem, I have an older Windows 7 disk.
Yes. You can update SP1 into your current Windows version and create to a new Windows disk, google. Or, you can just download Windows 7 with SP1 included, google.

duppolo

ok thanks.
so i buy that second one for 700-750€ or this one for 550€?

case: Lian Li A71f
motherboard: ASUS 1155 Maximus IV Extreme Rev.3.0 ATX DDR3 P67
RAM: 16 GB ram DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 8GB Corsair XMS3 CL9 1.65V (4x4GB)
CPU: intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz 6MB 1155 Sandy Bridge Unlocked con GPU 95W BOX
storage: 1 ssd primario : Samsung 830 series 256
1 ssd secondario OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120GB SATA III 2.5"
dissipatore CPU: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Special Edition
PSU: Seasonic x-460 fanless
GPU: AMD radeon HD6850 SCS3 - powercolor

kennah

ok thanks.
so i buy that second one for 700-750€ or this one for 550€?

This is decent too, the video card isn't all that great but the motherboard is way better. It might be worth the extra 150 euro for the i7 and 580 GPU on the other one.

duppolo

and the processor, wich is a i5 is not a problem? can i buy a 680 or titan and put in in anyone of this 2 pcs? (not now, its ionly that the answer of the usb 3 scared me for the future)

Hi guys, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong format.

Basically I'm looking to move from console to PC for the next generation and I was wondering if it was a better idea to wait until later in the year to try and get a build together - do you think there will be a significant price drop / new tech available come xbone/ps4 release?

I've started trying to put a build together on Overclockers but i'm woefully ill-equipped in knowledge, even when following the excellent guid you've put together.

I instead have found a prebuilt package on the site for around the price i'm looking to spend (£500-600)

Can you let me know if this is any good / futureproof?

System Specification
- Case: BitFenix Outlaw Tower Case - Black
- Power Supply: Corsair CX 430w PSU
- CPU: AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz Quad Core APU
- Motherboard: Asrock FM2A55M-DGS AMD A55 (Socket FM2) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: AMD CPU Cooler
- RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz C9 DDR3 Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Toshiba 60GB Solid State Drive + Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 !TB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache HDD
- Graphics Card: Integrated AMD HD 8670D Graphics + HD 6670 2048MB Graphics Card In Dual Graphics (Crossfire) Configuration
- Sound: 5.1 HD Audio
- Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter - Black
- Network: Asus USB-N10 WiFi 150Mbps Pen

Cheers

knitoe

Basically I'm looking to move from console to PC for the next generation and I was wondering if it was a better idea to wait until later in the year to try and get a build together - do you think there will be a significant price drop / new tech available come xbone/ps4 release?

I've started trying to put a build together on Overclockers but i'm woefully ill-equipped in knowledge, even when following the excellent guid you've put together.

I instead have found a prebuilt package on the site for around the price i'm looking to spend (£500-600)

System Specification
- Hard Drive: Toshiba 60GB Solid State Drive + Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 !TB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache HDD
- Graphics Card: Integrated AMD HD 8670D Graphics + HD 6670 2048MB Graphics Card In Dual Graphics (Crossfire) Configuration

Cheers

That's a very poor build. I suggest you follow the OP as closely as possible. If you can't build yourself, try getting a friend to help. At worst, get a local computer shop to do it.

kennah

and the processor, wich is a i5 is not a problem? can i buy a 680 or titan and put in in anyone of this 2 pcs? (not now, its ionly that the answer of the usb 3 scared me for the future)
They don't have NATIVE usb 3. Most of the boards still have usb 3, just not built into the intel controller. An i5 is just fine for gaming. That last build you posted would be quite capable with a modern video card

Smokey

System Specification

Cheers

1. For your GPU you have an integrated GPU combined with a 6670 for Crossfire. You can't do this. If you want to run crossfire (dual gpus) they have to be the same card series I. E. You would need two 6670s. As of now crossfire is broken with amd scheduled to issue a fix in July. Also if you are coming from consoles it is not recommended to go with a dual gpu if it is your first pc. It has its pluses but also more issues than a single gpu.

2. For gaming intel CPUs are a much better choice than AMD. Yes AMD CPUs are in next gen consoles to but the Intel CPUs destroy those with ease. You want to look at something like a core i5 of you go with Intel. You would also have to change your motherboard to fit the Intel chip.

3. Don't buy pre built especially this one. We can help you build a better pc and help you with putting it all together even of you've never done it before.

duppolo

mmmm ok i think ill go i5 for 550€ and then buy a video card...i hope i can play at high at 1680x1050p for the next 5 years...

kharma45

System Specification

Cheers

Consider building yourself, for that sort of dosh you're talking a PC like this

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£93.62 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.14 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card (£128.21 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.98 @ Aria PC)
Total: £617.20
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-26 15:06 BST+0100)

Top end of your budget but hugely better. If you want I can do a few other options to take it within budget.

1. For your GPU you have an integrated GPU combined with a 6670 for Crossfire. You can't do this. If you want to run crossfire (dual gpus) they have to be the same card series I. E. You would need two 6670s. As of now crossfire is broken with amd scheduled to issue a fix in July. Also if you are coming from consoles it is not recommended to go with a dual gpu if it is your first pc. It has its pluses but also more issues than a single gpu.

It's hybrid Crossfire with the APU, it works.

Addnan

mmmm ok i think ill go i5 for 550€ and then buy a video card...i hope i can play at high at 1680x1050p for the next 5 years...

5 years is a big ask because we don't know how much more advances games will be in a few more year, but right now its a good build. Just make sure to overclock that 2500K, should go to good speeds.

Smokey

It's hybrid Crossfire with the APU, it works.

Thanks for the correction. It just looks ugly though. That's still a bad pre built, what you suggest is much much better.

Addnan

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£93.62 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.14 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card (£128.21 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.98 @ Aria PC)
Total: £617.20
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-26 15:06 BST+0100)

Top end of your budget but hugely better. If you want I can do a few other options to take it within budget.
Yeah, this is probably the best. I was just taking a look at DinoPC to see what he could have built and the closest I could get to that build was £780 including OS. It had a far worse PSU and not sure what that cooler was, some Xigmatek one.

kharma45

Yeah, this is probably the best. I was just taking a look at DinoPC to see what he could have built and the closest I could get to that build was £780 including OS. It had a far worse PSU and not sure what that cooler was, some Xigmatek one.

There are a few other options available too, dropping the Hyper 212 would take it within budget is one.

duppolo

thanks...i find another pc, what do you think of this?
CPU: I5-2500K con dissipatore Artic Freezer 13Pro (Dissipatore preso 2 mesi fa e processore ancora in garanzia)
Alimentatore: Corsair TX650 80plus(in garanzia)
Scheda Video: Zotac GTX560Ti 2gb(in garanzia)
Scheda Madre: Asus P8-P67M USB3.0(in garanzia)
2 Hard Disk 500gb Sata3 e Sata2(in garanzia)
Ram: 8gb G-Skill DDR3 1600mhz(fino a 1800mhz) (in garanzia)
Case: Lc-Power PRO-920BL Veritas3000 - ATX Gaming
Lettore CD-DVD
Sistema operativo Windows 7 Professional con Licenza Originale

or ill stay with this?

does the first one have similar or better motherboard, dissipator and ali?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

System Specification

Cheers

Hi there. I just built my first PC (I too switched from consoles to PC). I did lots of research in the process. I can tell you this with 100% confidence: stick to the OP build. All the parts are good and there for a reason. The people in this thread have tons of experience. Keep it simple and follow their lead.

i5 3570k + 8gb RAM + 128 gb SSD + GPU 760/770 and you should be 100% ready for next gen. Yes, it's unfortunately out of your budget. So you could drop to a 6XX GPU to come closer to your budget and then upgrade the GPU later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom