• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

Give us the stats! Need volts/temps. Programs that you should *always* have open when benching are CPU-Z and HWMonitor.

You may have hit a temperature limit, causing things to get throttled back.

Alright, here's a summary of what things looked like after 5 passes of Intel Burn Test ("system was abale to maintain its stability"):

CPU VCORE - Min: 1.19V Max: 1.23V

CPU TEMP (Max) - Core 0: 46C ... Core 1: 47C ... Core 2: 52C ... Core 3: 49C ... Package: 53C

I think the issue might be my Voltage? Not sure, I'm a OC noob. The only way my MOBO allows me to toy with VCORE is using offest voltage, so I had it set to (-) but my value might be too high.

Thorgal

The difference is that the i7 is hyperthreaded. That means it takes each core and convinces the operating system that they are in fact two cores each. For applications that are 'n threaded', meaning that they can use any number of threads the CPU has, this means extra performance.

For games, it means literally nothing.

Thank you for the info .

So even in nextgen we are expecting little to no games to take advantage of hyperthreading?

Well even if not i am happy we are finaly moving to 64bit gaming .

Epix

Alright, here's a summary of what things looked like after 5 passes of Intel Burn Test ("system was abale to maintain its stability"):

CPU VCORE - Min: 1.19V Max: 1.23V

CPU TEMP (Max) - Core 0: 46C ... Core 1: 47C ... Core 2: 52C ... Core 3: 49C ... Package: 53C

I think the issue might be my Voltage? Not sure, I'm a OC noob. The only way my MOBO allows me to toy with VCORE is using offest voltage, so I had it set to (-) but my value might be too high.

Those temps looks fine, and if you were having voltage problems you'd most likely be coring (BSOD).

It's probably drivers.

Smokey

If it weren't $400 more than I can afford to spend on my build, I'd be so down for it. What about Tom's Hardware's forums? You can probably find a taker there!

Yeah there's other pc centric forums I can try and sell it at. I like GAF and this thread though so I'd rather try and go through here first :p

RoKKeR

Alright, let me try posting my temps/voltages again, sorry guys. This time I checked and it is most certainly overclocked. i5 2500k, 4.4GHz overclock, ASUS P8P67-M motherboard.

After 5 passes of Intel Burn Test, system stable:

CPU VCORE - Min: 1.29V ... Max: 1.34V

CPU TEMP (Max) - Core 0: 54C ... Core 1: 58C ... Core 2: 65C ... Core 3: 61C ... Package: 67C

-Batman: Arkham Origins Benchmark-

Unclocked (3.3GHz) FPS Average: 81

Overclocked (4.4GHz) FPS Average: 76

This is a much smaller gap than I had previously, granted (because I tweaked some voltage numbers) but it's obviously not optimal and completely defeats the purpose of an overclock. In-game performance (just running around fighting) is roughly the same as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah there's other pc centric forums I can try and sell it at. I like GAF and this thread though so I'd rather try and go through here first :p
I'll trade my top OCing GB 670 and some PC junk I have around for it and $40.

Tomas

Banned
So my nephew wants a new computer and he wanted to know something :
he was looking at the i7 for his next built and wanted to know what the difference is between a 3770 and a 3770k .
and wether the difference would matter in the end.

Thank you for the info .

So even in nextgen we are expecting little to no games to take advantage of hyperthreading?

Well even if not i am happy we are finaly moving to 64bit gaming .

I don't think that your question was answered. The difference between models you have listed is that "k"model is unlocked, allowing easy overclocking. The OC will give you additional 20-30% performance for some extra cost (Cooler, OC capable motherboard and k model will cost a little more).

The previous asnwer would be to the question what is the difference between i5 and i7.

So my nephew wants a new computer and he wanted to know something :
he was looking at the i7 for his next built and wanted to know what the difference is between a 3770 and a 3770k .
and wether the difference would matter in the end.

Since he does not know the difference between 3770 and K that means he probably does not even need an i7 or a K version of a CPU. i5s are actually quite fine for games right now and if you overclock them(That is what the K is there for) then you could extend the use of the CPU.

Timeless

Where can I buy a tabletop monitor stand? I want it to rotate. I got a 1600x900 monitor for $15 in reasonably good condition, and playing pinball vertically is too neat to pass up.

Thorgal

I don't think that your question was answered. The difference between models you have listed is that "k"model is unlocked, allowing easy overclocking. The OC will give you additional 20-30% performance for some extra cost (Cooler, OC capable motherboard and k model will cost a little more).

The previous asnwer would be to the question what is the difference between i5 and i7.

Since he does not know the difference between 3770 and K that means he probably does not even need an i7 or a K version of a CPU. i5s are actually quite fine for games right now and if you overclock them(That is what the K is there for) then you could extend the use of the CPU.

thanks guys . hes still in the early planning stage so anything is still open for debate for him .

but as he is paying for it the fnal choice is up to him.

thanks guys . hes still in the early planning stage so anything is still open for debate for him .

but as he is paying for it the fnal choice is up to him.

He should wait until Christmas where there are tons of sales off everything. If you live near a Microcenter then that is even better.

n0n44m

Suppose I have a Fractal Design Define XL R2, which allows for 240mm radiators on the top and the front of the case.

Suppose I also have a watercooling kit like this : http://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits-cases/kits/ek-kit-h3o-240-hfx.html to which I added a GPU waterblock too. One loop, thus I cool both the CPU and the GPU.

What I'd hope to cool are one Intel i7-4770k (haswell) processor and a Nvidia GTX 770 4Go.

1a) Can only the included 240mm radiator handle the load?
or
1b) Can I get by with two 240mm radiators (placed IN the case then) to cool all this, or do I have to get longer radiators (360mm) and place them outside the case (gotta admit, I don't like that idea)?

2) Can the pump from the WC kit handle two rads or do I need a better/a second pump? In the case of a second pump, I guess that means two loops instead of just one?

I'm getting all my parts now and that's really the thing that makes me the most nervous...

A single 240 rad would be a bit senseless over air cooling ;) it would work, but the temperatures probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

two 240 rads should do the trick. If you move the front HDD cage you should be able to fit a second 240 rad to the front of the case.

The pump is strong enough. Flowrate has a low impact on temperature anyway as long as you are over a certain minimal amount.

One loop is always best by the way, as it maxes out the efficiency of all the radiator surface available ... you can have multiple (similar) pumps in the same loop as well, but again your pump is sufficient for two rads, a cpu and a gpu block.

kharma45

I need stuff in my inbox if you want things to be changed. Amazon UK updated in OP.

I can see a good argument for the G2020. But the i3 not nearly as much. If Steamdozer is good I can see it being replaced easily.

I'll get some suggestions fired off in the next few days if I have time to get the UK bit updated with a few different bits.

Well first off, the B75 would be an upgrade to an i3, not a K processor. The H77 would be an upgrade to an i5 (non-K) which can still be forced to ~4.0GHz via Turbo settings. With regards to OC'ing, you have a really good point.

What processor would you suggest to try out as a good i3 alternative?

Ah I mis read your post with regards to upgrading on what platform for B75 etc. (which you probably guessed :p).

The only alternative would be the FX 6300. The 4300 is pointless imo with it being basically the same price. From a purely gaming standpoint I do think the i3 3220 is still the better option but if you're using your PC for more than that, or fancy a go at OCing I think then the 6300 can potentially make some sense. Still there is the drawback of power consumption with the 6300, PC Perspective found when OC'd to 4.6GHz in a system with a 5870, a Caviar Black and the other usual refinements it was pulling 180w.

ElfArmy177

Thinking about selling my 3570k, motherboard and Geforce 670 FTW... and then buying a geforce 780.

Not sure if a 780 is worth it though over a 670, as the price is almost 700 dollars!

yatesl

Building a new PC this week, as soon as I press "Order Now". Checked around, pretty confident, but any closing comments?

Using the 128GB M4 SSD, and 3TB worth of HDD space from this PC. All together, excluding HDDs, monitor etc, it's £934.33.

Kind of went nuts - Started off looking for a £200 graphics card for my current PC (AMD Phenom II X4 and Radeon 5770...), and somehow ended up here.

First time going to be building a PC solo, as my mate helped (read: did all of it) last time.

kharma45

Thinking about selling my 3570k, motherboard and Geforce 670 FTW... and then buying a geforce 780.

Not sure if a 780 is worth it though over a 670, as the price is almost 700 dollars!

Is the 670 not meeting your needs?

Building a new PC this week, as soon as I press "Order Now". Checked around, pretty confident, but any closing comments?

Using the 128GB M4 SSD, and 3TB worth of HDD space from this PC. All together, excluding HDDs, monitor etc, it's £934.33.

Kind of went nuts - Started off looking for a £200 graphics card for my current PC (AMD Phenom II X4 and Radeon 5770...), and somehow ended up here.

First time going to be building a PC solo, as my mate helped (read: did all of it) last time.

Is it solely Dabs and OCUK you want to buy from?

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so planning out the initial cooling plan for my build, does the following look ok?

(Blue = Intake, Red = Exhaust)

A and B will be the default Silent Series R2 fans that come with the Define R4 case, C will be whatever I've got to hand (I have a ton of cheapy 120mm and 140mm fans around the house), and the H80i will use it's stock fans for now.

I'll run with my 3 HDD's in the bottom cage, top cage either removed or turned 90degrees.

Fan B is specifically to cool the HDD's, I've lost HDD's in the past to overheating when managed ducted airflow left them airflow restricted, not letting that happen again. Fan A to bring in cool air for chipset & GPU.

I'm hoping, for noise reduction reasons, to run A, B and C at 7v via the case fan controller, sound reasonable at 4.3Ghz?

Look good?

If you're using a non-reference GPU I would recommend adding an exhaust fan to the side panel.

Many non-reference GPU coolers exhaust the hot air into the case and some coolers like the Gigabyte Windforce push the exhaust air towards the side panel, as seen in this smoke test video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6BLcVWvYw

TheD

The Detective
Damn it Intel!

When are you going to give the K series CPUs some fucking VT-D support?
Giving the non K CPUs it and not the Ks is a jerk move.

yatesl

Is it solely Dabs and OCUK you want to buy from?

I've already ordered the 770, so Dabs it out of the equation. Decided to pick the rest from OC UK as they offer cheap next day delivery, compared to paying P&P everywhere else (£13 all together, compared to £4 here and there). Unless I can get all the parts cheaper.

puebla

Hazaro said:
VF59b10.png

06/11/2013: Nvidia 320.18 WHQL Display Drivers CAUSING ISSUES. Uninstall them in safe mode and go back to 314.22(Download Win7-64Bit)

btw i just wanted to say that i downloaded 314.22 over 320.18 about 10 days ago and haven't had any bsod's or freezes. thx for the help.

kharma45

I've already ordered the 770, so Dabs it out of the equation. Decided to pick the rest from OC UK as they offer cheap next day delivery, compared to paying P&P everywhere else (£13 all together, compared to £4 here and there). Unless I can get all the parts cheaper.

I'll have a look around but I'm already thinking on some changes like the PSU to a Gold rated one, the mobo to the MSI G45 and the case, do you really need a full tower? A mid tower like a Fractal R4 is a much nicer size.

yatesl

I may end up getting a second GPU, or more fans - after having a cramped ANTEC 300, the idea of the XL was liberating. I do appreciate the Fractal R4 is almost like a smaller XL though.

kharma45

Right yatesl this is what I'd change

4670K is also cheaper through other vendors like Amazon.

If you want to stick with that XL case though go ahead, I believe the case to often be something of personal preference. If you're not changing it I would definitely change the motherboard and PSU.

Mr. Hyde

Damn. My i5-4670k spiked at 90c once or twice during the three hours I did of blend prime 95. It stayed at 62 or so until it went into crazy testing. I guess I should try to get it lower. I am running it at 4.1ghz @ 1.2v so far.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ok, I've been researching de-lidding, and came across this video....

Delid a 3770k, No Razor Blade

I'm laughing so hard I have tears running down my cheeks, and I can't stop watching it over again!

gabbo

So, as I mentioned in the previous thread I'm looking into a new system and giving my current one (minus hdd's and an optical drive) to my brother, and keeping my current monitor/kb&m/speaker setup.

Now aside from not being sure what case to put it all in, this is what I have:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply

I can't decide between a BitPhoenix Shinobi or a Fractal Define R4 - I'm looking for whichever will be the quietest (leaning toward the R4 at the moment because it's a bit bigger).

So GAF, what say you on this build?

yatesl

Right yatesl this is what I'd change

4670K is also cheaper through other vendors like Amazon.

If you want to stick with that XL case though go ahead, I believe the case to often be something of personal preference. If you're not changing it I would definitely change the motherboard and PSU.
True, but do you get Grid 2? Also out of stock on Amazon, for £6 difference.
After researching I might get the Fractal, as reviews say it's much quieter. Hopefully I can fit another 770 down the line,
Why that PSU? Big W difference for little cash difference. Is mine overkill, even for potentially 2 GPUs down the line?

Ashes

Banned
Hmm.. going to the computer fair tomorrow. If I find a bargain, I might just break the bank and get a z87 chipset motherboard.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So, as I mentioned in the previous thread I'm looking into a new system and giving my current one (minus hdd's and an optical drive) to my brother, and keeping my current monitor/kb&m/speaker setup.

Now aside from not being sure what case to put it all in, this is what I have:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply

I can't decide between a BitPhoenix Shinobi or a Fractal Define R4 - I'm looking for whichever will be the quietest (leaning toward the R4 at the moment because it's a bit bigger).

So GAF, what say you on this build?

Love my Fractal R4. Very quiet. Spacious interior.

OK so I posted my question at the end of the last thread so I'll just repeat it here.

I game at 1080p, about to pull the trigger on the 770. Main question is, 2GB or 4GB? I want to sort-of-future-proof this purchase and the looming next-gen of consoles is making me consider the 4GB, but I don't actually know exactly what this memory impacts. Can anyone educate me on that and if I should spend the extra $50?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
OK so I posted my question at the end of the last thread so I'll just repeat it here.

I game at 1080p, about to pull the trigger on the 770. Main question is, 2GB or 4GB? I want to sort-of-future-proof this purchase and the looming next-gen of consoles is making me consider the 4GB, but I don't actually know exactly what this memory impacts. Can anyone educate me on that and if I should spend the extra $50?

Unfortunately there is no consensus. Some say the 4gb version is gimped because of the small bus. Others say games will need 4gb once next gen PS4/XBONE games start rolling out. I got the 4gb version. For an extra $40 I thought why not.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

You could save some money by cutting back on the PSU (we recommend 600W for a 770 system), and you could get cheaper RAM too (few % difference in performance between most DDR3 RAM).

And if you wanted to get really drastic you could buy Sandy or Ivy Bridge instead, which are now cheaper and only slightly slower when you factor in their better OC'ing.

Sothpaw

Well this is frustrating. I got my first ever build up and running last week (first try failed due to a defective mobo). Was working perfectly for 10 days or so. Just now I heard a very loud POP sound from the computer. There was a very bright flash then the computer turned off.

Any idea what went wrong? Could it be my psu? I have an 850w corsair psu...just so strange considering everything was working perfectly for a solid 10 days then it basically just blew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom