• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Thanks for info. Is the 660 a worthy upgrade? Will I see massive improvements? Does it run all current games well?

Runs current stuff ok. I upgraded from one to a 670 and there was a noticeable improvement. Would certainly be a huge upgrade from your 460. What's your CPU set to currently?

SpyGuy239

Thanks for info. Is the 660 a worthy upgrade? Will I see massive improvements? Does it run all current games well?

I woudl wiat for the 800 series.

Or if you've got some cash to spare, get a 660 for cheap and SLI.

That's what I jsut did with my 560Tis, No regrets. Will tide me over until the 800series comes out, then it's new build time!

BigAT

Read the OP.

I did before I posted, there is nothing under $100 there. I'm looking for something significantly cheaper than that. The review site linked is pretty bare bones and lacking, especially for cheaper headsets. I'm wondering if anyone here has personal recommendations for a cheaper headset, I don't need something top of the line.

kennah

I did before I posted, there is nothing under $100 there. I'm looking for something significantly cheaper than that. The review site linked is pretty bare bones and lacking, especially for cheaper headsets. I'm wondering if anyone here has personal recommendations for a cheaper headset, I don't need something top of the line.

I was more referencing the "For audio equipment, also check out Headphone GAF". They're way better at making more broad recommendations. For cheap stuff I think Monoprice has an ok headset, but they'd be a much better source for lots of different recommendations.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417447

brentech

I have these guys.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00186YNIA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I quite enjoy them. Comfortable on the ears and good sound quality imo.

Wallach

When you say headset, do you mean something with a microphone? Or just cans?

Quake1028

Runs current stuff ok. I upgraded from one to a 670 and there was a noticeable improvement. Would certainly be a huge upgrade from your 460. What's your CPU set to currently?

CPU is currently stock. Could bump it up pretty easily. I'm just looking for a card to get me through this year, planning on a full upgrade next spring.

Actually I'd be ok with using that. It's a solid unit that delivers power properly and in spec. Plus seemed ok with drawing a bit extra [Hardware Secrets review]
You can buy a Kill-A-Watt and measure what your PC uses for kicks if you aren't at ease. Or a new PSU!

Anandtech has this:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: EVGA X79 SLI
for their bench and only hit 400W load.

[H] has:
i7 3770K @ 4.8Ghz
350W load (375W OC)

Sounds great! I'm really straining my budget with the 770 so if I absolutely had to add a new PSU the whole operation was out of the question unfortunately. Thanks a ton for the help!

Kydd BlaZe

Probably a stupid question, but I'm noticing that the operating system isn't factored into the cost of the custom builds listed in the OP. Is there a reason for that? Windows 8 goes for about $200.

haikira

Probably a stupid question, but I'm noticing that the operating system isn't factored into the cost of the custom builds listed in the OP. Is there a reason for that? Windows 8 goes for about $200.

I guess it's assumed more people will know what they want for an OS, as opposed to hardware?

Rufus

Student and OEM licences are much cheaper, the former are sometimes free. A lot of people are also just re-using their keys and sticking with W7.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have any recommendations on a cheap PC gaming headset? The left ear speaker on mine is dying/dead and it's driving me nuts.

Something with a mic as well.
Don't bother with headsets below $100. Get a pair of headphones and a separate microphone. The reason why we don't include anything under the flux is because everything is pretty much garbage, especially in comparison to headphones you can get in that same price range.

We list microphones as well.

*edit*

Speak of the devil, the Flux is 30% off with free shipping right now on the Steelseries webstore. Use code FLUX30FS
Lots of people already have windows keys from a variety of places, whether it be from a previous install, or through a student deal, or something else.

Windows 8 goes for $70-100. I don't know where you are getting the $200 figure from.

Alright, screw it, time to get a new PC. I've only assembled a PC before once and it was quite a while ago and I didn't do it myself, so some help would be greatly appreciated. I want to have a mini-ITX rig that will still be still future-proof-sounds tricky, I know, but I've seen Bitfenix Prodigy cases with Titans in them so I'm not giving up yet-I'll likely be moving around a lot next year so a SFF rig would be suitable.

So far, here are the general specs I've locked in on:

Case - Coolermaster Elite 120 Advanced
CPU - i5 3570k
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB
PSU - Seasonic 620W

Obviously, I'm missing some parts, but that's where I was hoping you guys could come in. For now, I'm not gonna get a new graphics card - I'll take my GTX 460 from my desktop PC and put it in there for now. I also think I'll do without an optical drive. For a hard drive I'll probably finally cross into the glory that is SSD, but that's not certain yet. I'm a cheap-arse student for the moment.

The aspects I'm mostly concerned about for now:
1) The PSU: Over or underkill? Keep in mind I'll upgrade the graphics card when the next generation of cards arrive with whatever I can fit in the damn case.
2) Cooling: I intend to overclock the i5, so it'll need some extra cooling. Looking at the SFF forms, is the Heatsink component the same as the coolers you place directly over the CPU, or are they something different?
3) Motherboard - Similarly to the PSU; am I splashing out too much for this? Can I get away with a cheaper mITX mobo?

Thanks a bunch.

Katyusha

OK guys, I think I've run into quite a pickle here.

So I RMA'd my 7950 a couple weeks back and got the RMA and blah blah blah...

The card (that I got back) worked perfectly fine for the first week, but the next week it started giving me boot issues. So I reseated the card and all was fine.

But now boot issues are consistently occurring. I even had to run off of my PCI express x4 slot for a day. Yesterday I reseated my RAM so I thought maybe my RAM was the issue, but today I tried the same thing and it turns out that wasn't the case.

So now I'm running off of my integrated graphics, and I just want to know what the cause of my issues are. Is it the card? The RAM? The mobo? Or is it maybe the PSU?

mkenyon

Banned
Read the SFF build guide in the OP for sure.

I don't recommend the CM120 for a mid-high end gaming build. It just doesn't have the airflow to support it, and you're going to end up with a loud and hot system.

They're releasing a revision of it within the next few months that I will most likely replace it with, the Elite 130.

946660_10151735254350817_965609157_n.jpg
OK guys, I think I've run into quite a pickle here.

So I RMA'd my 7950 a couple weeks back and got the RMA and blah blah blah...

The card (that I got back) worked perfectly fine for the first week, but the next week it started giving me boot issues. So I reseated the card and all was fine.

But now boot issues are consistently occurring. I even had to run off of my PCI express x4 slot for a day. Yesterday I reseated my RAM so I thought maybe my RAM was the issue, but today I tried the same thing and it turns out that wasn't the case.

So now I'm running off of my integrated graphics, and I just want to know what the cause of my issues are. Is it the card? The RAM? The mobo? Or is it maybe the PSU?
What motherboard and PSU do you have?

I've done all my upgrades over the past month. New 27inch ips monitor, up to 24 gigs of ram, two SSD's(one for gaming and one for programs). The last key is new videocard. Going from a radeon 5770 and was thinking about the 780. A buddy of mine felt the 780 isnt worth the price compared to a 770? Plus he said in the future he could just do a sli setup with two 770s and they would destroy a 780? I'm just asking GAF is it really worth jumpin on board to the 780 right now? or the 770 will suit me fine? Basically I just want to destroy all current games with 1080p/60fps on high settings, and hopefully still see badass stuff with the next gen games coming out.

Addnan

I've done all my upgrades over the past month. New 27inch ips monitor, up to 24 gigs of ram, two SSD's(one for gaming and one for programs). The last key is new videocard. Going from a radeon 5770 and was thinking about the 780. A buddy of mine felt the 780 isnt worth the price compared to a 770? Plus he said in the future he could just do a sli setup with two 770s and they would destroy a 780? I'm just asking GAF is it really worth jumpin on board to the 780 right now? or the 770 will suit me fine? Basically I just want to destroy all current games with 1080p/60fps on high settings, and hopefully still see badass stuff with the next gen games coming out.

Only you can really answer that. The price difference is $250 and the performance gain is decent, whether that is worth $250 only you can answer. The 770 will do fine with most games at 1080p and get 60fps for now.

mkenyon

Banned
I had the strangest issue with booting on a Z68 motherboard. Specifically, when there would be a GPU in the top most x16 PCI-E slot AND the USB 3.0 header were plugged in, it would not boot. If I unplugged the USB 3.0 header, it would boot. If I moved the GPU to a different slot, it would boot.

I'm not suggesting that you have the same problem, but the only way to find out what it could be is to isolate each variable and test it. Until that's done, it's just guessing.
Always always always go single card over 'future proofing' with SLI. The latter rarely ever lives up to expectations.

The 780 is a beast of a card.

mkenyon

Banned
Are there any good sub $100 surround sound headphones?

Also do surround sound headphones actually do like 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever?
You'll want a device that does virtual surround sound. Anything that will give you dolby digital or whatever Sound Blaster's equivalent is. Check out Mad Lust Envy's guide, which is in the audio section of the OP.
That's more aimed at audiophiles than positional audio. The latter is definitely best served by Mad Lust Envy.

Katyusha

I don't even have a USB 3 header plugged in, as this mobo doesn't support it.

The only ways I can get the PC to boot is if I reseat the card a billion times, if I run the card off of the x4 slot, or if I just remove the card entirely and run off of the iGPU

Sober

Don't bother with headsets below $100. Get a pair of headphones and a separate microphone. The reason why we don't include anything under the flux is because everything is pretty much garbage, especially in comparison to headphones you can get in that same price range.

Not even some Corsair stuff? I am certainly not an audiophile but I grabbed an HS1 for like 60 bucks and it works really well. Sure it's USB and not typical 3.5mm but it has braided cables, inline volume control, microphone and all. Is the sub-100$ headset stuff that bad?

mkenyon

Banned
Not even some Corsair stuff? I am certainly not an audiophile but I grabbed an HS1 for like 60 bucks and it works really well. Sure it's USB and not typical 3.5mm but it has braided cables, inline volume control, microphone and all. Is the sub-100$ headset stuff that bad?
In comparison to what you would get by spending the same amount on proper headphones? Most definitely.

Addnan

You'll want a device that does virtual surround sound. Anything that will give you dolby digital or whatever Sound Blaster's equivalent is. Check out Mad Lust Envy's guide, which is in the audio section of the OP.

That's more aimed at audiophiles than positional audio. The latter is definitely best served by Mad Lust Envy.

I've never read that before. I should go do that.

Wallach

*edit*

Speak of the devil, the Flux is 30% off with free shipping right now on the Steelseries webstore. Use code FLUX30FS

This is a pretty good deal, I'd go with this. The only other headset w/ mic in that price range I think is okay is the Carcharias, but with the current coupon I'd definitely go with the Flux.

Addnan

After Haswell what's the next gen of CPU and around when will it retail?
New AMD stuff at the end of the year, doesn't look like it will reach Haswell performance. Ivy-E at the end of the year, but that is aimed at the really high end.

Next year is either a refresh of haswell or looks less likely now a broadwell release.

Read the SFF build guide in the OP for sure.

I don't recommend the CM120 for a mid-high end gaming build. It just doesn't have the airflow to support it, and you're going to end up with a loud and hot system.

They're releasing a revision of it within the next few months that I will most likely replace it with, the Elite 130.

Cool, looks good, though I also saw this case, which is supposedly one of the better mITX cases for both cooling and cost.

Edit: The thing is butt-ugly, though :\

Katyusha

I might try and see if my buddy will let me borrow the 670 he has laying around for a bit.

Maybe using a different video card will help me figure out the issue.

My old card wasn't giving me any boot issues whatsoever, and I've had it since November. So maybe it is the RMA that's causing the problem.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Damn.... must resist adding SSD to build.

Thoughts opinions on the Plextor M5S 128GB's?

New AMD stuff at the end of the year, doesn't look like it will reach Haswell performance. Ivy-E at the end of the year, but that is aimed at the really high end.

Next year is either a refresh of haswell or looks less likely now a broadwell release.

Thank you for this.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
It'll mean a downgrade from 16GB to 8GB ram, but going on the basis that GFX / RAM are easier upgrades to make later I don't think I can resist! :p

I finally pulled the trigger on my PC upgrade/rebuild to cover me for the next 2-4 years.

Some background before I give the specs: (Current and old)

I do very heavy multitasking and my current PC is hitting its limits. I do work in the CE3 SDK and UDK. I model in 3Ds Max and Mudbox. I do video editing in addition to playing tons of games and usually have more than 10 tabs open in Chrome. My current rig is out of space, and out of date. This has prompted me to rebuild my PC with all new stuff.

Old Specs:

i7 930 QC (2.8 GHz)
Intel X58
Alienware Liquid Cooler
GTX 570 1.2 GB
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
6 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz) (2x3 GB)
875W Dell PSU
Alienware Aroura Case
Disc Drive and Media Reader
(OS)Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

Now, the parts I ordered today are these:
* Too lazy to list all the individual places I got the parts, as I got a mix of in-store and various online places. The total came to about $1400

i5-3570K

Asus P8Z77-V LK

Cooler Master V6 GT

Gigabyte GTX 780 3 GB

Samsung 840 Series 120 GB SSD

Western Digital 2 TB HDD

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 (1600 MHz)

SeaSonic 750W PSU

Corsair 300R Case (No window)

A few extra fans

Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste

Windows 7 64-bit again

I am re using the disc drive and media reader from the last PC. The old HDD will become a backup drive.

What do you think GAF? The last PC I bought whole was the Alienware 5 years ago, and I have upgraded it since, but I think this should suit my needs. I have built 4 PCs in the last 2 years so this isn't completely alien to me.

Also, is there a place I could sell my old PC parts that I am not using and get a reasonable amount of money back? ($500-800 is what I think it would all be worth today)

I will tell you that I also do some intense work on my PC and I have 16GB and it's no where near enough memory. I'm constantly running into low memory issues even with a paging file set on a single drive. I also have a crap ton of Chrome tabs open cause of work and Chrome simply rapes my memory at 100-200MB per tab at times. May want to up the memory, other than that it's good.

b7OQgZq.png

Photo taken from EK Waterblocks' PDF installation for one of their WC kits.

According to them, it's the optimal way to make your loop, but of course that doesn't take into account a second radiator nor a GPU block.
I added four green letters to ease the explanations. Between which letters is it optimal to add the GPU block and a second radiator?

Could my i5 ever become a bottle neck? after getting a 780, my processor will be the only part thats a bit old. But I just dont want to have to get a new processor and resetup my computer at this moment.

kharma45

Could my i5 ever become a bottle neck? after getting a 780, my processor will be the only part thats a bit old. But I just dont want to have to get a new processor and resetup my computer at this moment.

it will eventually, not for many years though all being well.

clav

Alright, screw it, time to get a new PC. I've only assembled a PC before once and it was quite a while ago and I didn't do it myself, so some help would be greatly appreciated. I want to have a mini-ITX rig that will still be still future-proof-sounds tricky, I know, but I've seen Bitfenix Prodigy cases with Titans in them so I'm not giving up yet-I'll likely be moving around a lot next year so a SFF rig would be suitable.

So far, here are the general specs I've locked in on:

Case - Coolermaster Elite 120 Advanced
CPU - i5 3570k
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB
PSU - Seasonic 620W

Obviously, I'm missing some parts, but that's where I was hoping you guys could come in. For now, I'm not gonna get a new graphics card - I'll take my GTX 460 from my desktop PC and put it in there for now. I also think I'll do without an optical drive. For a hard drive I'll probably finally cross into the glory that is SSD, but that's not certain yet. I'm a cheap-arse student for the moment.

The aspects I'm mostly concerned about for now:
1) The PSU: Over or underkill? Keep in mind I'll upgrade the graphics card when the next generation of cards arrive with whatever I can fit in the damn case.
2) Cooling: I intend to overclock the i5, so it'll need some extra cooling. Looking at the SFF forms, is the Heatsink component the same as the coolers you place directly over the CPU, or are they something different?
3) Motherboard - Similarly to the PSU; am I splashing out too much for this? Can I get away with a cheaper mITX mobo?

Thanks a bunch.

1) Depends on what graphics card. Usually there is no such thing as overkill as (high quality) power supplies that claim to deliver more wattage tend to "save" energy.

2) I just built a PC using that case. You will spend 1-2 hours on cable management if you want good air flow, and you may need to buy some aftermarket cooling as the case fans are quite loud unless you do not mind noise. I am currently looking for replacements for that 80mm side fan.

You may also need some extra wire ties if you want to be neat.

Most of the aftermarket CPU heatsinks are too big for this case as the power supply sits directly above the motherboard.

3) There is a Haswell revision with C2 chipset slated to due soon to fix a USB 3.0 sleep bug. If you don't plan on overclocking, then don't bother with a K CPU and Z chipset motherboard. Otherwise, you can still look at the legacy LGA 1155 lineup as Haswell is really a big fuck-up for desktop users (i.e. more heat, more electricity used).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
After Haswell what's the next gen of CPU and around when will it retail?

AMD is targeting 30% improvement IPC with steamroller. Q4/Q1. So for apps and games designed for 8 physical cores we'll see a place for that.

With Intel, honestly nothing has been changing in the last 2 years. If you want the fastest IPC per core get Ivy Bridge, delid, cross your fingers for the silicon lottery, and OC to near 5.0 GHz. If you want fast 6 core, there's Sandy Bridge E and Ivy Bridge E (Q4). I don't think waiting for Ivy-E is worth it. But there supposedly is 8 core Haswell-E next year (Q3/Q4 2014). If you're going for 120 Hz desktop, get Intel for frame latency.

CPUs just aren't interesting right now and haven't been for nearly 2 years. Considering Broadwell is a tick, it probably will be boring until 2015.

I'm waiting for the next design of GPUs personally. We're about due for it, and it will put Titan to shame both in price and power. I also want a fat RAM pool so console ports that intelligently use GPU RAM caching will have it.

Absolutely. Quick console ports that expect 6 physical cores will choke on it. But worry about that when it happens.

yatesl

For when I build it, it's recommended that you do a test to make sure everything's working before you put it in the case, using a screw driver.

Is it safe to do that using a magnetic one (to stop the screws dropping), or will that do something horrible?

Does the EVO 212 come with thermal paste, or do I need to order some of that before my order ships out?

Also, do the motherboards or PSUs come with data cables? Watching the Newegg video I just realised, if I'm giving my current PC to someone else, I'll need a cable for their hard drive.

Addnan

For when I build it, it's recommended that you do a test to make sure everything's working before you put it in the case, using a screw driver.

Is it safe to do that using a magnetic one (to stop the screws dropping), or will that do something horrible?

Does the EVO 212 come with thermal paste, or do I need to order some of that before my order ships out?

Also, do the motherboards or PSUs come with data cables? Watching the Newegg video I just realised, if I'm giving my current PC to someone else, I'll need a cable for their hard drive.

1, some people say to do that, I never have

2, yes its safe

3, yes comes with it

4, motherboard will have SATA cables

clav

As long as you're not poking your mechanical hard drive with it, you'll be OK. If you bridge different points however, you're in big trouble.

Yes.

Motherboards usually come with two SATA cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom