• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How the hell do you guys remember and mentally rationalise all these component codes? This thread is like reading pages of wingdings to me. It might as well be in Latin.

Admit it: you've all got spreadsheets taped on your walls, haven't you?

Depending on legacy wheel support and how pCARS runs on PS4, I might be attempting my first-ever PC build towards the end of this year. The very thought fills me with absolute dread. I've never been any good at learning foreign languages.
Just stare at it long enough lol

kharma45

Just put this list together. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I haven't kept up with the industry for a few years so I'm not sure what the best stuff is anymore. Also I don't have any brand loyalty.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G400s Wired Optical Mouse ($44.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $1042.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-08 01:56 EDT-0400)

Stick to Intel for the CPU. Much stronger and better rounded. You''d get much better value out of this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G400s Wired Optical Mouse ($44.95 @ Amazon)
Other: ASUS Radeon 4GB R9 290 DirectCU II (3 year transferrable warranty) ($300.00)
Total: $1066.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-08 05:26 EDT-0400)

You could cut the PSU down too. I picked that one as it's incredibly high quality and has a silent mode when there isn't much power being drawn from it. If that doesn't really sound that important to you we could switch to save $10.

The R9 290 is a fucking steal in the BST thread. Makes the price of that 760 you had originally look like a joke.

Also, when spending this kind of money look at SSDs. The fella selling the 290 also has a great deal on a Seagate SSD for $60.

What's wrong with the PSU? Sorry I'm not too familiar with any of this, still learning. And thanks I will check it out.

Looks good, thanks. I don't have a case actually. Have no idea where to start as far as that, and I also need a nice monitor.

How does this case look? If it's too expensive I can suggest other options http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Monitor wise are we talking 120Hz ones or what are you after?

Why Corsair H60 ? The only positive thing about all those 1 fan solutions it is ability to use ram with big heatspreaders.

zdiagrt-xbt.png

kharma45

All the past times and even yesterday I looked at the HIVE and Capstone series and felt the it had a bit too many reports across models of DoA or failure. The rates are basically the same now so even though I've installed a fair amount if BP550 with no failure, but maybe its time to sub in the HIVE. I even have a 750w unopened at home.

The build or efficiency difference between those particular two units isn't as much a concern to me as issues that may popup which is why I haven't subbed it in yet and I think it was teetering $70?

The HCG I actively avoided due to DOA.

Late, late reply! Only seeing you responded now.

Didn't know that the HCG/Hive/Capstone had many DOA reports. I thought they were all fairly solid units. The HCG surprises me too, I thought the Seasonic platform would've been reliable.

Why Corsair H60 ? The only positive thing about all those 1 fan solutions it is ability to use ram with big heatspreaders.

zdiagrt-xbt.png

Tidier and easier to work with. Inside an R4 these two.

Obv a Hyper 212 is smaller than the Noctua but it's still not as easy to work with as an H60. Depends on how tight money is.

jett

D-Member
Can someone help me out with configuring a custom fan profile for a Gigabyte 280X on their OC Guru II program (or anything else)? It just gets too loud on automatic without getting really hot (60° on Crysis at 1080p with everything maxxed out).

fanboi

Banned
So I am about to order this:

CPU: INTEL CORE I7 4790K 4.0GHZ 8MB S-1150 HRF

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR BLACK EDITION Z97 S-1150 ATX HRF

GPU: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 780 GHZ EDITION 3GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP

PSU: XFX Core Edition 750W (Have already)

Stand: Fractal Design Define R3 (Have already)

Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP and Corsair 4GB (2x2048MB) 1600MHz XMS3 (Have already)

HDD: 40GB 2.5" SSD Intel X25-V G2 SATA RETAIL (Have already), CRUCIAL MX100 256GB SATA SSD MLC and 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ (Have already)

Go go go?

ValeYard

In the computex coverage, some people, e.g., Paul from NeweggTV, allude to graphics cards "they can't talk about yet." I was a little disappointed that we haven't heard about any new GPUs yet, meaning an ETA of new cards is more likely the end of 2014. Or what's with these cards, that no one is talking about at the moment?

jpax

I bought a "Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X OC" but only have a 600W Power Supply. I feel it is not bringing the performance boost I was expecting. Could that be a reason? I upgraded from a "Phantom GTX 570".

Addnan

I bought a "Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X OC" but only have a 600W Power Supply. I feel it is not bringing the performance boost I was expecting. Could that be a reason? I upgraded from a "Phantom GTX 570".
What's your full system specs? A decent 600W would be plenty.

LilJoka

No, the PSU isn't the reason. Do some benchmarks then compare to results you see in the reviews.

kiyomi

Ah, I pressed the order button before getting an answer :>

Looks solid to my eyes.

What PSU? If it's a good 600W, that should be more than fine.

Water

Tidier and easier to work with. Inside an R4 these two.

Obv a Hyper 212 is smaller than the Noctua but it's still not as easy to work with as an H60. Depends on how tight money is.
Then again, I think the average person puts the parts together once and never really "works with it" afterwards.

I'm definitely in that group, don't care what the computer looks like from the inside, and am probably going to use air, but the water AIO solution still feels appealing and elegant (other than being more complicated and increasing points of failure). Cooler mass hanging off the chassis rather than the mobo makes a lot of sense. An air cooler built directly into the chassis, optimizing airflow and perhaps using the outer case surface for additional dissipation, would be even more elegant. But I guess that would be relatively challenging to do given that the precise location of the CPU on the motherboard is not specced.

LilJoka

Then again, I think the average person puts the parts together once and never really "works with it" afterwards.

I'm definitely in that group, don't care what the computer looks like from the inside, and am probably going to use air, but the water AIO solution still feels appealing and elegant (other than being more complicated and increasing points of failure). Cooler mass hanging off the chassis rather than the mobo makes a lot of sense. An air cooler built directly into the chassis, optimizing airflow and perhaps using the outer case surface for additional dissipation, would be even more elegant. But I guess that would be relatively challenging to do given that the precise location of the CPU on the motherboard is not specced.

Exactly, what work do you need to do apart from install the 8 and 24 pin cables and RAM. Even with the D14 with low profile DIMMS you can get to the RAM by removing the fan. Its not really any more difficult. D14 has a much easier mounting mechanism than the Hyper 212 as well. Just becuase the cooler is bigger doesnt make it any more difficult. I still recommend air over H60 and H80 when you can fit it in the case.

jpax

What's your full system specs? A decent 600W would be plenty.

No, the PSU isn't the reason. Do some benchmarks then compare to results you see in the reviews.

What PSU? If it's a good 600W, that should be more than fine.

I have a i5 2500k @ 4GHz on a AsRock Z68 Pro3, 8GB Ram (Dual Channel), the Power Supply is a BeQuiet 600W.
What kind of Benchmark would you suggest?

Oh my Monitor is a Asus VN247-H

Kind of a dumb question, but here goes:

due to various reasons, i'll be building a new PC soon, but it's going to be placed into a relatively small enclosure where airflow is going to be at a bit of a premium (not the case, the actual place the case is going within a wall). What's the best way to not have the thing overheat? Will water cooling solve a lot of the problems? is there a way to set up fans to use what little airflow around the case there's going to be to it's maximum efficiency?

So if I use a bog-standard mid-tower case, there'll be... hmm... about an inch on either side of the case, about 3 inches behind the case, maybe 2 inches above the case, and then the front of the case will be open to the air.

Is there an easy reference for all the various monitors coming out later this year? Really want to grab a gsync one as it sounds rather incredible, especially as with my Ti at times games can flutter between 50 and 60 which gets nauseating.

Edit: ran that benchmark and nearly freaked out as I only scored 2934 before realizing they had AA set to 0.

The Llama

For some reason my computer keeps thinking my 3870x2 is a "HD 6800 Series"? I updated the drivers, uninstalled the drivers, restarted the computer, etc. The weird thing is it still works fine and my benchmark scores are normal for a 3870x2. My concern is the drivers had a HUGE memory leak (I was using basically all of my 12GB of RAM, but once I uninstalled the drivers thats dropped to ~5GB after an hour of use, with a dozen or so tabs in Chrome, Spotify, and Photoshop open, which seems perfectly normal to me). And I'm afraid to reinstall the drivers because I think this misidentification is somehow causing the memory leak, or whatever. FWIW it was my "Page Pool" RAM that was using ~6GB before I uninstalled the drivers.

Anyone have any experiences with the Samsung Pro 256GB SSD in RAID 0? I noticed the price of them collapsed the last time I bought one. I received a pretty good bonus at work and I want to treat myself with something nice.

How the hell do you guys remember and mentally rationalise all these component codes? This thread is like reading pages of wingdings to me. It might as well be in Latin.

Admit it: you've all got spreadsheets taped on your walls, haven't you?

Depending on legacy wheel support and how pCARS runs on PS4, I might be attempting my first-ever PC build towards the end of this year. The very thought fills me with absolute dread. I've never been any good at learning foreign languages.

It didn't help when AMD changed their naming scheme. Just now I'm about getting used to saying 290 instead of 7970. Good luck on your first build. I built my first PC a little over 3 years ago and it's still going strong. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Windam

Scaley member
What's the consensus on a GTX 760 4GB? Looking to replace my video card before I make any other changes to my rig. I game in 1080P and have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU. Currently have an Evga GTX 460 SC 768MB that's starting to show her age. Not enough cash right now for a new mobo/cpu build (I'd go Intel i7 this time around), so maybe next year for that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone have any experiences with the Samsung Pro 256GB SSD in RAID 0? I noticed the price of them collapsed the last time I bought one. I received a pretty good bonus at work and I want to treat myself with something nice.
Don't see the point for personal use. Save for some tinkering projects or Broadwell and new cards :p
What's the consensus on a GTX 760 4GB? Looking to replace my video card before I make any other changes to my rig. I game in 1080P and have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU. Currently have an Evga GTX 460 SC 768MB that's starting to show her age. Not enough cash right now for a new mobo/cpu build (I'd go Intel i7 this time around), so maybe next year for that.
Terrible.
760 2GB or 780 or get a 290 used for $300.

Windam

Scaley member
Terrible.
760 2GB or 780 or get a 290 used for $300.

Awesome, thanks. 770 not worth it? Those 780's are pricey.
s9l.gif

The Witcher 3 demands a new card that won't break the bank (fucking school), but will be enough for High (definitely not Ultra) settings.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
s9l.gif

The Witcher 3 demands a new card that won't break the bank (fucking school), but will be enough for High (definitely not Ultra) settings.
Might be new cards out before Witcher 3 since it's 2015. I don't like either 770 from a value point.
Tons of cheapy 280/280X/290 used for sale which is what I would get.
Price is fine, but this one looks a bit more appealing,w aht do you think? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Monitor, I was thinking something that supports 1440p, 120hz sounds good too.
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
900 is alright

s9l.gif

The Witcher 3 is pretty far away so unless you have stuff you want to play now you should probably just wait until closer to release.

TRIM support is supported in 7 series or later chipsets with 11.2 or later RST drivers. If you have that setup it will be pretty godlike for non-critical data (read games).

Otherwise don't bother.

Traded in my PS4 and Vita. Now I have $655 in Amazon credit to spend. Time to finally put together my computer.

How large of a performance bump would the new processors and motherboards give me? Are they coming out soon?

The Llama

For some reason my computer keeps thinking my 3870x2 is a "HD 6800 Series"? I updated the drivers, uninstalled the drivers, restarted the computer, etc. The weird thing is it still works fine and my benchmark scores are normal for a 3870x2. My concern is the drivers had a HUGE memory leak (I was using basically all of my 12GB of RAM, but once I uninstalled the drivers thats dropped to ~5GB after an hour of use, with a dozen or so tabs in Chrome, Spotify, and Photoshop open, which seems perfectly normal to me). And I'm afraid to reinstall the drivers because I think this misidentification is somehow causing the memory leak, or whatever. FWIW it was my "Page Pool" RAM that was using ~6GB before I uninstalled the drivers.

So I just opened up my computer... and my mind was completely blown when I saw that I actually have a 6850. I'm so confused right now, I have literally no memory of ever purchasing or installing a 6850. Hell, I even checked my Newegg and Amazon history and can't find it.

Tablo

So I just opened up my computer... and my mind was completely blown when I saw that I actually have a 6850. I'm so confused right now, I have literally no memory of ever purchasing or installing a 6850. Hell, I even checked my Newegg and Amazon history and can't find it.
lol! Well that's a pleasant surprise I guess.

I thought there were new motherboards and intel CPU's coming out soon, but I am having problems finding info about them.

Z97 motherboards are out, and Devil's Canyon CPU's (Haswell Refresh with better thermal interface management) is coming out soon. After that, X99 and Haswell-E are set to release later this year, X99 will also support DDR4. While most Haswell-E processors will have 6 cores 12 threads, there will also be some 8 core 16 thread parts.

kharma45

Price is fine, but this one looks a bit more appealing, what do you think? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Monitor, I was thinking something that supports 1440p, 120hz sounds good too.

Check the OP for monitor recommendations.

As for the case, the 900 is OK but it's a bit long in the tooth now. You can do better for that price.

Is it a bit more visual flair you're looking for then? The R4 I recommend is plain but it's nice to build in and is very quiet.

Try these cases for size over that Antec

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.microcenter.com/product/418074/PC-7HWX_Aluminum_ATX_Mid_Tower_Computer_Case_-_Black

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...=FD-CA-ARC-R2-BL-W&manufacture=Fractal Design

Mascot

It didn't help when AMD changed their naming scheme. Just now I'm about getting used to saying 290 instead of 7970. Good luck on your first build. I built my first PC a little over 3 years ago and it's still going strong. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Thanks. If I do go the PC route it'll be you lot who are building it for me. I'll just be supplying the money and the labour.

:p

G.Newell

UK DEAL ALERT

Anybody looking at a GTX 770/780 or even 780Ti

Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X OC 4GB
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-TRI-X-Graphics-Card-PCI-E/dp/B00HFA44YQ

£284!!

This card can mostly beat and otherwise match a GTX 780, and when overclocked can keep up with a 780Ti, plus 4GB VRAM to add to it.

Looks a great deal. Starting to look at what i want in my next build and i was looking at the 290x, so is there much difference between the 290 and the 290x?

Why are they using AFs for radiators? For radiators you want fans with a high static pressure.

I'm thinking about an All-In-One CPU cooler for my next build, and I'd like to know if the OP can have any info on fans with high static pressure, and their performance and cooling improvements over AF fans (what are AF fans btw)?

Smokey

I'm thinking about an All-In-One CPU cooler for my next build, and I'd like to know if the OP can have any info on fans with high static pressure, and their performance and cooling improvements over AF fans (what are AF fans btw)?

AF = Air flow aka case fans.
SP= Static Pressure . These are for radiators.

Hi guys. I've been considering building a PC for a while, and by considering I mean I watch videos of people building PCs to get over my fear of it and looking at Logical Increments to get an idea of what I want/need.

Your Current Specs: Uh, a 2011 Macbook Pro. I don't have a desktop PC.
Budget: 500-600 USD
Main Use: I would say mostly for gaming, since I'd still have the laptop to fall back on for general web-surfage, but I'd of course like to still be able to watch youtube videos and the like at 1080p. I would say a 4 for gaming, 0 for PS2/Wii emulation (gba if anything), 0 for video editing, maybe a 2 for streaming games, 0 for 3D modeling, and a 3 for general usage. I'd like to be able to stream and maintain >40FPS at 1080p (in league of legends, at least) but if that's outside of the realm of possibility for this price range I don't need it.
Monitor Resolution: My current monitor is a Viewsonic VX2260wm, 1080p and 60hz. It's my baby and I love it. I don't see myself upgrading monitors any time in the next 6 months. Once Christmas time rolls around, though, who knows.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
I think MUST is a little extreme, but I'd like to max out (or close to it) LoL at 1080p with 60 FPS. I'd also like to be able to run Dota 2 well, since it running like crap on my mac is what's kept me from trying it. I already own BF4 for PS4, so I don't see a huge urge to play it on PC. I also don't see myself gravitating towards big triple-A titles like Watch_Dogs on PC, either. I don't really know what the last part of the question means, so I guess its importance is zero.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope. Like, maybe pulling the wi-fi card out of a really old desktop, but I don't know if that's even possible. I have peripherals except for a laptop, but the cheap Rosehill one listed in the OP seems really similar to a MBP keyboard, which I'm already used to, so I'd probably be happier than a pig in mud with that.
When will you build?: I'd like to build within the next month so I have time to enjoy it for sure over the summer before going back to school.
Will you be overclocking?: Nope.

I've mostly been looking at the "Good" range in the Logical Increments guide, since it has pretty high marks according to their guide for both DOTA and LoL. In comparing that to the "Good" computer build in the OP, I notice that the OP build goes for a more powerful CPU at the cost of the mobo, PSU, and case. I know that LoL is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive, so maybe that suits my needs better. I dunno how much RAM I need, but going from 4 gigs to 8 gigs seems like a no brainer because it's still pretty cheap.

I guess the thing is, it doesn't really need to blow my PS4 out of the water, because if there's a big game that's available on PS4, I could just get it there. But I also don't want to just be building a $500 MOBA-machine. I guess I'd like to decently run anything that I could get in the steam sale, too. Sorry if I rambled.

Edit: Oh, also. I know I need a wi-fi card, and as far as sound goes, I currently own Astro A40s and a Mixamp. Not sure if any of that is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom