• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is video ram for single monitor 1080p gaming? I have decided on a 770 card and it appears that they come in 2GB ($295) and 4GB ($429) variations. Is it worth spending an extra $100 on more vram?

teiresias

Welp, I just ordered a new heatsink and a new HDD mount so I've committed to upgrading to Devil's Canyon apparently.
KuGsj.gif
Just debating whether to pre-order a 4790k at Microcenter in Fairfax and drive the three hours to pick it up - or just order on Amazon. I think I'll spend $30 in gas to get there negating any savings even in my Prius going to MC.

AF = Air flow aka case fans.
SP= Static Pressure . These are for radiators.

okay. so in this biuld http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y62VGX
I have 2 fans, 1 is a AF and 1 is an SP, how good are these, I'm looking to have the SP on a Corsair H60 (push or pull?) and the AF(x2) to be case fans (push or pull?) They shall be used for the Silverstone RVZ01. The H60 will be on the top of the CPU fan area, and the AFs on the GPUfan area.

Are these fans a decent enough CFM while maintaining a quiet noise level? is the H60's pump going to be much louder?

ALSO: PCPER's 4790K review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtNGqPZmlbs should I still consider dropping an AIO 120MM H20 system on it?

I'm thinking about a gtx 780 6gb

It's about 70 bucks more than a regular 780 3gb

I only game in 1080p

will the extra vram help me in the future? espcially considering how watch dogs turned out?

Has anyone in this thread installed the XBOX One controller drivers only to have it show as unspecified in the devices and printers window? Tried repairing the installation and reinstalling the drivers with no luck.

I've Googled the issue and can't find a solution.

(sorry if this is not the appropriate thread for this question)

Smokey

okay. so in this biuld http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y62VGX
I have 2 fans, 1 is a AF and 1 is an SP, how good are these, I'm looking to have the SP on a Corsair H60 (push or pull?) and the AF(x2) to be case fans (push or pull?) They shall be used for the Silverstone RVZ01. The H60 will be on the top of the CPU fan area, and the AFs on the GPUfan area.

Are these fans a decent enough CFM while maintaining a quiet noise level? is the H60's pump going to be much louder?

ALSO: PCPER's 4790K review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtNGqPZmlbs should I still consider dropping an AIO 120MM H20 system on it?

Yeah those fans will work. The corsair quiet series is pretty good. I've always set my AIO water coolers in push/pull config, but if you're using one SP fan set as push and see how that works temp wise . If the AFs are in the GPU area you want fresh air coming into the case, so those should be set as intakes.

Yeah those fans will work. The corsair quiet series is pretty good. I've always set my AIO water coolers in push/pull config, but if you're using one SP fan set as push and see how that works temp wise . If the AFs are in the GPU area you want fresh air coming into the case, so those should be set as intakes.
Thank you for your expertise, you have been a great help to determining my final build setup. This PC is just as much PC-GAF's as it is of my design at this point, jaja.

x3sphere

I'm thinking about a gtx 780 6gb

It's about 70 bucks more than a regular 780 3gb

I only game in 1080p

will the extra vram help me in the future? espcially considering how watch dogs turned out?

3GB should suffice for awhile at 1080p, if you foresee yourself replacing the 780 in a year or two I would say it is not worth it.

Also, does the OP have an additional information about AIO H20 CPU cooling kits? like which one is the best performing in single 120mm and 240mm and which one for each category is the best ratio of quiet and well-performing?

I'm considering an AIO H20 CPU cooler like the Corsair H60 and I have no clue if I should just stick with buying that one or if there is one out there that is better and quieter.

hom3land

is the 7870 much better then the r7 265? Can either buy a Brand new in box r7 265 or slightly used 7870 for $130. need to upgrade my 5770, and can't decide if buying a slightly used card is worth the risk if the performance isn't much more.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Starting to think about a new rig, I'm going to wait until the 800 series comes out, but what about CPUs? Are / will i7s still be the best late this year / early next or is there something else coming?

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
I need some OCing help/support/advice. I have a 4770k and an MSI G45 Gaming MB and I can't get this thing over 4.2 GHz. The voltage is set to adaptive and it will use 1.26 volts when under load. This seems ridiculously high to me, and I feel that there's something wrong with my settings or hardware that is causing this. I know that I could have gotten a bad chip, but this chip must be really bad to need 1.26 volts at 4.2 GHz.

So I have an opportunity to sell my CPU and Motherboard for $450.

I can buy another CPU and Motherboard for exactly what I'm selling it for. The same CPU and Motherboard in fact. New. The guy who's buying it is Canadian and is happy to get a de-lidded CPU and motherboard without having to do it himself. Also, prices for him are much higher than they are for me.

Hopefully my next CPU will be able to overclock better. My question though, is this.

If I buy another of the exact same CPU and Motherboard will I have to get a new license for Windows? What do I do if I decide to get a different CPU?

I need some OCing help/support/advice. I have a 4770k and an MSI G45 Gaming MB and I can't get this thing over 4.2 GHz. The voltage is set to adaptive and it will use 1.26 volts when under load. This seems ridiculously high to me, and I feel that there's something wrong with my settings or hardware that is causing this. I know that I could have gotten a bad chip, but this chip must be really bad to need 1.26 volts at 4.2 GHz.

Mine needs nearly 1.4v

Mine is worse.

So I have an opportunity to sell my CPU and Motherboard for $450.

I can buy another CPU and Motherboard for exactly what I'm selling it for. The same CPU and Motherboard in fact. New. The guy who's buying it is Canadian and is happy to get a de-lidded CPU and motherboard without having to do it himself. Also, prices for him are much higher than they are for me.

Hopefully my next CPU will be able to overclock better. My question though, is this.

If I buy another of the exact same CPU and Motherboard will I have to get a new license for Windows? What do I do if I decide to get a different CPU?
If it's the same exact mobo you might be able to switch everything out and not even bother reinstalling everything. It's probably not recommended but I know I'd try it lol.

If you do end up reinstalling all you have to do is give Microsoft support a call so that you can reinstall using the same key.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Guys stop posting I don't want to make the new thread yet :(
Also, does the OP have an additional information about AIO H20 CPU cooling kits? like which one is the best performing in single 120mm and 240mm and which one for each category is the best ratio of quiet and well-performing?

I'm considering an AIO H20 CPU cooler like the Corsair H60 and I have no clue if I should just stick with buying that one or if there is one out there that is better and quieter.
AIO are butts, just go air and deal with no pump noise and hassle. Intel chips doesn't even matter they hit thermal wall before for any regular OC.

They look nice and can have lights on them and you get bonus epeen online.

Have an H75 and X60 (280mm) AIO.
Starting to think about a new rig, I'm going to wait until the 800 series comes out, but what about CPUs? Are / will i7s still be the best late this year / early next or is there something else coming?
Q3/Q4 for Broadwell off the top of my head
So how easy/hard is changing the mobo standoffs in a case? Most of the cheap mobos I'm looking at are mATX.
You just move 6-9 screws so super easy.
Another question, what do you guys recommend for case lighting? I have a 760T full tower case and it needs some light to go with the giant window.
I've seen people use LED strips, but most have moved away from case lighting.

kharma45

is the 7870 much better then the r7 265? Can either buy a Brand new in box r7 265 or slightly used 7870 for $130. need to upgrade my 5770, and can't decide if buying a slightly used card is worth the risk if the performance isn't much more.

Clock for clock for gaming we're talking 6-8%. At stock clocks there's about 10% in it. For compute tasks or coin mining the 7870 can stretch its lead more with the extra 280 cores it has but in terms of gaming there isn't a massive gap if you clock them the same.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Quick question, should I be worried about these temps my notebook is getting while gaming?

I'm not really sure if it has sensors or not for speedfan to read, but:
ZFGp90b.png

GTX 660M, i7-3630QM, SSD & HD

Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quick question, should I be worried about these temps my notebook is getting while gaming?

I'm not really sure if it has sensors or not for speedfan to read, but:
ZFGp90b.png

GTX 660M, i7-3630QM, SSD & HD

Thanks.
Speedfan is not in the OP because it sucks, use HWMonitor or whatever the hell I listed in there.

It's fine it's a laptop.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Hwmonitor had the same values I think. I got a screenshot with both, but my pc is turned off and I'm in bed.

thanks tho!

Wildstar wanted me to turn off aero and I started to see screen tearing on websites. I thought, "oh shit" but aero apparently double buffers everything.

LilJoka

Coretemp is probably the best program I've encountered.

The tjunc on modern CPU's is like 98c so it's fine.

Realtemp is the best. Uncewebb the developer can be found on overclock.net and xtremesystems forums. I remember him taking heatsinks off CPUs and measuring with an IR gun to see the exact temperatures the CPU started throttling to get the proper TJMax values.

Daante

I know its quite some time until the Witcher 3 hits, but how do you think the GTX 780 6 GB edition will do when its February?

riflen

Are people that averse to selling on a GPU and putting what they get towards whatever new hotness is released later?
Thinking of buying a GPU and really looking forward to that unreleased title 6 months away? Spend what you can afford today and enjoy games now, then sell it on if there's something better in your price range when your favourite crush is released.

I know its quite some time until the Witcher 3 hits, but how do you think the GTX 780 6 GB edition will do when its February?

Given that its a multiplatform title, coming to PS4/Bone, and that a 780ti 6GB smokes either of those consoles, id say youd be fine for at least Very High settings. Like in TW2 there may be settings like Ubersampling that are only usable by the 8 series or whatever tho. Pure speculation obviously tho.

Also i know i asked about the 770 previously but i was comparing the GTX 770 & GTX 780. I can absolutely not afford a 780 Ti, (€5-600, far out of my budget), so was thinking of going to its nearest neighbour, the GTX 780. But in alot of benchmarks there seems to be only maybe a 5-10 FPS difference which doesnt really seem worth the extra 100+ eur for the GTX 780. Anyone have any experience of going from a 770 to a (non Ti) 780? Is the benefit worth the extra cash?

Sarcasm

Guys I did the download Windows 8.1 tool .exe thing on my 64 bit system, how do I check the ISO that I created with it is indead 64 bit? By default the website said if I download using a 64 bit, it downloads 64 bit. The file just says windows.iso lol...

Is there a way to check/confirm without reformating?

hom3land

Clock for clock for gaming we're talking 6-8%. At stock clocks there's about 10% in it. For compute tasks or coin mining the 7870 can stretch its lead more with the extra 280 cores it has but in terms of gaming there isn't a massive gap if you clock them the same.

Thanks for the reply. Ended up getting a r9 290 instead. Should be a nice upgrade to my 5770.

Smokey

Are people that averse to selling on a GPU and putting what they get towards whatever new hotness is released later?
Thinking of buying a GPU and really looking forward to that unreleased title 6 months away? Spend what you can afford today and enjoy games now, then sell it on if there's something better in your price range when your favourite crush is released.

Preach to em riflen

kudoboi

not sure if correct thread but...

My pc has been overheating since playing watch_dogs. the GPU and CPU temp goes up to 80 ish Celsius. the room temperature is 33 Celsius. My pc starts showing artifacts when playing Watch_dogs or Euro Truck Sim 2 after 20 mins to 1 hr before either crashing/ freezing the game or getting a blue screen (not BSOD). Should I invest in liquid cooling?

bro1

Banned
Just added a gtx 750 ti boost into my system for physx. Already have a gtx 780ti and guess what? No difference in performance that is noticeable.

Stubo

Given that its a multiplatform title, coming to PS4/Bone, and that a 780ti 6GB smokes either of those consoles, id say youd be fine for at least Very High settings. Like in TW2 there may be settings like Ubersampling that are only usable by the 8 series or whatever tho. Pure speculation obviously tho.

Also i know i asked about the 770 previously but i was comparing the GTX 770 & GTX 780. I can absolutely not afford a 780 Ti, (€5-600, far out of my budget), so was thinking of going to its nearest neighbour, the GTX 780. But in alot of benchmarks there seems to be only maybe a 5-10 FPS difference which doesnt really seem worth the extra 100+ eur for the GTX 780. Anyone have any experience of going from a 770 to a (non Ti) 780? Is the benefit worth the extra cash?
This is obviously dependent on the game you're looking at benchmarks for, but there should be a bigger difference for many titles.

Are you looking at aftermarket 770 vs reference 780 comparisons? A factory overclocked 780 should offer a hefty boost in performance over the 770.

Sarcasm

not sure if correct thread but...

My pc has been overheating since playing watch_dogs. the GPU and CPU temp goes up to 80 ish Celsius. the room temperature is 33 Celsius. My pc starts showing artifacts when playing Watch_dogs or Euro Truck Sim 2 after 20 mins to 1 hr before either crashing/ freezing the game or getting a blue screen (not BSOD). Should I invest in liquid cooling?
You should dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom