• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Poet

Banned
Also i know i asked about the 770 previously but i was comparing the GTX 770 & GTX 780. I can absolutely not afford a 780 Ti, (€5-600, far out of my budget), so was thinking of going to its nearest neighbour, the GTX 780. But in alot of benchmarks there seems to be only maybe a 5-10 FPS difference which doesnt really seem worth the extra 100+ eur for the GTX 780. Anyone have any experience of going from a 770 to a (non Ti) 780? Is the benefit worth the extra cash?

I did, Was worth it, at least for my rig (i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz - 1080p) got about ~10-15fps increase on most games at max (pushing most games above 60fps) . Some larger benefits I saw were from CS:GO, Witcher 2 and Fifa 14.

jpax

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3308MHz) x4
GPU model:
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 14.200.0.0/Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 9.17.10.3347 (4095MB) x1
Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Extreme HD

This is not right? Is it?

Stubo

Would the extra card for psysx maybe help for borderlands 2 at least? I recall that being pretty gpu hungry because of physx around launch time.

This is obviously dependent on the game you're looking at benchmarks for, but there should be a bigger difference for many titles.

Are you looking at aftermarket 770 vs reference 780 comparisons? A factory overclocked 780 should offer a hefty boost in performance over the 770.

Just looking at reviews of both cards on techpowerup. Their test rig is almost identitcal to mine (i7 4770K, 16GB ram) For example:

crysis3_1680_1050.gif

9fps difference

tombraider_1680_1050.gif

bit better, 10fps difference, but still not earth shattering

farcry3_1680_1050.gif

and only 9fps difference in FC3.

Was thinking id just get a 770 for now (i can get the MSI Twin Frozr 770 for €288, the cheapest 780 i can see is €430), then sell it on come next February, and buy a 780ti or even if theres a good, affordable 800 model by then.

Smokey

The benefits of a separate card for PhsyX isn't what it used to be. Most of the modern Nvidia cards are fast enough to handle it and the GPU load.

Stubo

Definitely give the gigabyte 770 a look. I know in the UK the overclocked one is very nearly the cheapest 770 on the market despite being only 10mhz or so slower on the core clock than the evga classified. The windforce cooler is excellent too, great value!

Xdrive05

Definitely give the gigabyte 770 a look. I know in the UK the overclocked one is very nearly the cheapest 770 on the market despite being only 10mhz or so slower on the core clock than the evga classified. The windforce cooler is excellent too, great value!

This.

I picked up the 4GB Gigabyte 770 OC a little while back. What a great purchase! Runs extremely cool always, even when torture tested.

Lum1n3s

Guys I did the download Windows 8.1 tool .exe thing on my 64 bit system, how do I check the ISO that I created with it is indead 64 bit? By default the website said if I download using a 64 bit, it downloads 64 bit. The file just says windows.iso lol...

Is there a way to check/confirm without reformating?
On the main start page just type in dxdiag

Awesome thanks :D The Gigabyte version is €311, so realistically is only 23 euro more expensive than the MSI version. I have a little extra cash to splurge after getting a new job last week so think this will be my gift to myself!

Lum1n3s

Not of my current system, but the ISO image of Win8.1 (I am using W7 currently)..

I am just gonna try it in VB.
Oh, my apologies, where did you get it from? Most reddit ones are 64-bit from what I've seen I just bought mine and it came as a 64-bit.

Sarcasm

Oh, my apologies, where did you get it from? Most reddit ones are 64-bit from what I've seen I just bought mine and it came as a 64-bit.

A guy on NeoGAF who got it from reddit. The torrent only had two seeders so I used the MS way to download (much faster)..but I got it working in virtual box:

i5zMeO9NCdLVs.PNG

So assuming that it has Program Files & Program Files (x86), the first one is the 64 bit one.

Also I haven't activated the copy yet since..this is a VB. Why is there a build number bottom right? Does that go away?

mkenyon

Banned
Also, if someone knowledgeable on monitors can give some good ideas for replacing the selections in "standard", that would be much appreciated.

LilJoka

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Extreme HD

This is not right? Is it?

Run with these settings
1,920 x 1,080, 0x AA, 'Ultra' Quality

Ultimadrago

My mother is looking to do some work and needs a dedicated pc. She is mostly interested in typing documents and working in the stock market. She doesn't have a computer right now, but is working with a Dell Latitude D620/ .99 RAM/ T2300 @ 1.66 GHz/ 55.8 Gb space/ Windows XP OS.

Price Range: $800 + USA
Main Use: 3 (Word, Web, Light games like Bejeweled)
Monitor Resolution: Not sure if she cares much about that. "Decent", I guess. lol
Needs to handle: Bejeweled and multiple web pages without freezing on itself.

She needs a computer from this generation.

She is not interested in building. Her budget is about $800. Any listing y'all could point to would be appreciated.

My mother is looking to do some work and needs a dedicated pc. She is mostly interested in typing documents and working in the stock market. She doesn't have a computer right now, but is working with a Dell Latitude D620/ .99 RAM/ T2300 @ 1.66 GHz/ 55.8 Gb space/ Windows XP OS.

Price Range: $800 + USA
Main Use: 3 (Word, Web, Light games like Bejeweled)
Monitor Resolution: Not sure if she cares much about that. "Decent", I guess. lol
Needs to handle: Bejeweled and multiple web pages without freezing on itself.

She needs a computer from this generation.

She is not interested in building. Her budget is about $800. Any listing y'all could point to would be appreciated.
So I take it you aren't a good son that is willing to build one for her? :)

Haha! This is true.

Bothers me enough about common computer questions!

It sounds like she doesn't need the power of a desktop, and neither her or you are willing to get their hands dirty(which is totally fine, I'm not judging), so I think a laptop would be more appropriate and flexible if she wants to take her work with her. I would get a Lenovo or Asus laptop and possibly a monitor for home when she's using it as a desktop.

Ultimadrago

It sounds like she doesn't need the power of a desktop, and neither her or you are willing to get their hands dirty(which is totally fine, I'm not judging), so I think a laptop would be more appropriate and flexible if she wants to take her work with her. I would get a Lenovo or Asus laptop and possibly a monitor for home when she's using it as a desktop.

I offered, but she doesn't desire a laptop. She only desires a desktop. Plus, I hear desktop and more "bang for buck." Does this only apply to if you're building it?

mkenyon

Banned
[PERFORMANCE MICE]
Vnp7oxv.png
These are intended for competitive gamers. Speed, accuracy, and sensor customization is valued above all.

Spawn is an amazing value designed for claw and hybrid grips. If you absolutely love the MX518 shape, then the G400S is a good choice at $45, but is outperformed by the Rival and M45. The Corsair is a better fit for strict palm grip with large hands, and for those who prefer a heavier mouse. The Rival is lighter and can handle palm to finger transitions.

r6bXf.png
$30 - CM Storm Spawn
9ez0k7m.png
$45 - Logitech G400S .
pT7BX49.png
$60 - Corsair M45 . .
qKwllLM.png
$60 - SteelSeries Rival

[ERGONOMIC AND MMO MICE]
Vnp7oxv.png
For those that value comfort and extra buttons over a precise sensor.

The Recon has a great sensor and firmware for the price, as well as an ambi grip. The Sensei does as well, and has the best sensor here. The M95's side button layout is the best of the MMO oriented mice. G700s is the only wireless mouse listed here.

B51jC8K.png
$35 - CM Storm Recon . .
v3uY0.png
$60 - SS Sensei Raw
NtMKcta.png
$80 - Corsair M95 . .
4cfwtvK.png
$90 - Logitech G700s

I offered, but she doesn't desire a laptop. She only desires a desktop. Plus, I hear desktop and more "bang for buck." Does this only apply to if you're building it?

Desktop parts will always be more powerful, sure, but it's not like it used to be. The laptop components are more than enough for the kind of mostly office work and light bejeweled gaming your mom wants to do. Hell, my old core 2 duo laptop is still fine for browsing and the similiar work that your mom does. Get her a core i5 and 8gb of ram laptop and she should be fine for 5+ years.

Ultimadrago

[PERFORMANCE MICE]

Which of these would you say is most comfortable for a large hand claw grip?

Desktop parts will always be more powerful, sure, but it's not like it used to be. The laptop components are more than enough for the kind of mostly office work and light bejeweled gaming your mom wants to do. Hell, my old core 2 duo laptop is still fine for browsing and the similiar work that your mom does. Get her a core i5 and 8gb of ram laptop and she should be fine for 5+ years.

Alright, I'll discuss it.

qKaC3K

I need some advice. I have a 4670K and just a while ago when air temps were normal (25C) it was idling around 30-35C but the air temp is around 35C (95F) now and the idle temp climbed up to 65-70C. I'm using a Corsair H60 and both pipes that go to the heatsink feel extremely hot when touching them.

Not sure what to do. Do you guys think my H60 is dying or it simply just can't handle the air temps?

mkenyon

Banned
[PERFORMANCE MICE]/QUOTE]

Which of these would you say is most comfortable for a large hand claw grip?​

*Probably* the Rival. Though the actual shape is very palm-oriented, it has good spots on the mouse for a claw grip which I'm able to do even with my small hands. I'd transition from palm for movement to claw for controlling recoil in CS:GO decently. Not as good as the Sensei though.​

Burt

Desktops are definitely more bang for the buck, but generally speaking that mostly applies to building one yourself.

Assuming that you're putting the PC together for her and not buying a prebuilt one, the only thing I would really recommend over budget stuff would be a SSD. Also, find a computer store and have her check out what monitor resolution/size she's comfortable with. I know plenty of older people that aren't a fan of high resolutions because of how much they can shrink text and icons down, and although you can run the monitor at non-native resolutions or fidget with text size, it's probably easiest to just get something that she's comfortable with by default.

Other than that, just pick out some budget stuff either from the OP or based on Amazon ratings, get her 4gb of RAM (maybe 8, considering your budget), and if you have some leftover money, possibly a basic graphics card like a 260x for ~$120.

Ultimadrago

*Probably* the Rival. Though the actual shape is very palm-oriented, it has good spots on the mouse for a claw grip which I'm able to do even with my small hands. I'd transition from palm for movement to claw for controlling recoil in CS:GO decently. Not as good as the Sensei though.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Desktops are definitely more bang for the buck, but generally speaking that mostly applies to building one yourself.

Assuming that you're putting the PC together for her and not buying a prebuilt one, the only thing I would really recommend over budget stuff would be a SSD. Also, find a computer store and have her check out what monitor resolution/size she's comfortable with. I know plenty of older people that aren't a fan of high resolutions because of how much they can shrink text and icons down, and although you can run the monitor at non-native resolutions or fidget with text size, it's probably easiest to just get something that she's comfortable with by default.

Other than that, just pick out some budget stuff either from the OP or based on Amazon ratings, get her 4gb of RAM (maybe 8, considering your budget), and if you have some leftover money, possibly a basic graphics card like a 260x for ~$120.

Much appreciated!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Which of these would you say is most comfortable for a large hand claw grip?

Alright, I'll discuss it.
I like the Spawn. G400 wasn't comfortable for me. Can't comment on the other 2 personally, but Sensei was too small for me (not sure about Rival) and I'm not a fan of the Corsair mice (grip / weight on the two I tried).
I need some advice. I have a 4670K and just a while ago when air temps were normal (25C) it was idling around 30-35C but the air temp is around 35C (95F) now and the idle temp climbed up to 65-70C. I'm using a Corsair H60 and both pipes that go to the heatsink feel extremely hot when touching them.

Not sure what to do. Do you guys think my H60 is dying or it simply just can't handle the air temps?
Ambient Temp and CPU Temp is a pretty much linear relationship, so something is up.
Is your pump speed being throttled as a fan perhaps? Should be running at full RPM.

Try remounting it after checking that.

Ultimadrago

I like the Spawn. G400 wasn't comfortable for me. Can't comment on the other 2 personally, but Sensei was too small for me (not sure about Rival) and I'm not a fan of the Corsair mice (grip / weight on the two I tried).

Are there particular models of the Spawn to look out for? Do the arrow buttons under the scroll get annoying/in-the-way?

Pretty sure my motherboard has blown up, so I guess it's time to finally upgrade my CPU/Motherboard combo. I'm now trying to figure out what to buy. I don't really care about overclocking, so I'm looking for a good high end CPU that I don't have to fiddle with.

The 4690 seems to be what I want, but a couple things are confusing me about it. What exactly is it replacing, is it unlocked or locked, and what would be a good motherboard to go along with it? Thanks for your help guys.

qKaC3K

Ambient Temp and CPU Temp is a pretty much linear relationship, so something is up.
Is your pump speed being throttled as a fan perhaps? Should be running at full RPM.

Try remounting it after checking that.

The fans are running full speed and I tried remounting but temps are still around 58C. :-/

kennah

The 4690 seems to be what I want, but a couple things are confusing me about it. What exactly is it replacing, is it unlocked or locked, and what would be a good motherboard to go along with it? Thanks for your help guys.

It's replacing the 4670. It's locked. Any H87 or H97 motherboard would be fine.

Brief lesson - "K" means unlocked. Unlocked chips require a "Z" series motherboard to over clock.

LilJoka

The fans are running full speed and I tried remounting but temps are still around 58C. :-/

Probably dying, nothing new.
I will say it again - Corsair Hydro coolers have shoddy build quality, and i will never buy one again. Go air cooling or EK/XSPC watercooling kit.

Corsair AIO is like buying an OEM PC, why do we not do that again? Apart from overpriced, its poor quality, crap support, and when a part goes wrong you have to send the whole thing back, for me £20 to ship the dam thing. And dont bet your replacement will work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom