• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genio88

I'm on Fx8350 OC, 8GB ram ddr3, and r9 290 tri-x OC, i hope to be good for the upcoming AC Unity, Farcry 4, Cod and GTA 5, on 1080p and ultra settings

jett

D-Member
Why do flash videos continue to stutter on a 4670k when they were just fine in a C2D? I'm also having stuttering issues when using a second screen, when I didn't have any before. No matter what drivers I update, what options I tick, I can't fix these problems that I didn't suffer before on a meager computer, on the same OS(W7). Fucking PC gaming, wish I hadn't bought shit.

Why do flash videos continue to stutter on a 4670k when they were just fine in a C2D? I'm also having stuttering issues when using a second screen, when I didn't have any before. No matter what drivers I update, what options I tick, I can't fix these problems that I didn't suffer before on a meager computer, on the same OS(W7). Fucking PC gaming, wish I hadn't bought shit.

Because it is fucking flash.

Sorry, I really don't have a better reason.

LilJoka

Have you tried a different browser?
Have you tried checking a drivier conflict with DPC Latency tool?
Have you tried disabling flash hardware acceleration?

kiyomi

If you're using Chrome make sure you disable Pepper Flash: http://newtriks.com/2012/12/01/how-to-disable-the-chrome-pepper-flash-player/

Calmine

Can anyone recommend a really decent quiet case. I'm looking at either Corsair 330R Silent or BitFenix Ghost. Any others nothing too expensive around same price as those two or opinions on those would be great.

jett

D-Member
Because it is fucking flash.

Sorry, I really don't have a better reason.

Flash was fine on a shittier computer. It's not even just flash, if I watch a video on VLC on a second screen player it plays super choppy, as if the video was running at half the framerate. It kind of fixes itself if I choose OpenGL was the video renderer, but only if I run the video at full-screen. What is this? sigh.

Have you tried a different browser?
Have you tried checking a drivier conflict with DPC Latency tool?
Have you tried disabling flash hardware acceleration?

I've tried every browser, I guess I haven't tried Netscape. :p DPC Latency tool says my machine should be able to handle real-time streaming data without drop-outs. Yeah I've tried disabling flash acceleration.

How about a TV section, best tv's for Sofa gaming, I'm looking for something in the 50 inch range, my tv currently has a TF2 result screen image burned into it.

TV shopping's a nightmare

I'm interested in this too. Are 1080p TVs good enough for PC gaming?
I can get a brand new 42" 1080p TV from, say, LG, for around £300, and that will include a digital tuner.
You are looking at around double that for a 42" 1080p PC monitor.
Are the benefits of a dedicated monitor really that great?
Just what are the benefits that justify doubling the price for (on the face of it) less capability?

Yeah.. I'm a couch gamer and I plan to upgrade my TV as well (currently playing on a 50" insignia). From what I've heard Sony's are the best when it comes to picture quality and input lag. I've also been looking at the Seiki as well so I can play at a resolution higher than 1080p. I just don't know yet. You can research TV's with low input lag here: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

LilJoka

Flash was fine on a shittier computer. It's not even just flash, if I watch a video on VLC on a second screen player it plays super choppy, as if the video was running at half the framerate. It kind of fixes itself if I choose OpenGL was the video renderer, but only if I run the video at full-screen. What is this? sigh.

I've tried every browser, I guess I haven't tried Netscape. :p DPC Latency tool says my machine should be able to handle real-time streaming data without drop-outs. Yeah I've tried disabling flash acceleration.

Was this a fresh install of Windows?

Water

Probably should have clarified, I don't have £200 to drop on Sennheisers :p (and those func ones are reviewed poorly from what I can tell)
I have no idea of the options on the market currently, but I've been very happy with a Sennheiser PC151 headset. I think I've owned it for 6-7 years now, and I still use it at my workplace after buying high end headphones for home about 2 years ago. PC151's are light, sturdy, have a good mic and usability, and a reasonable price. The earpieces are smaller than the usual over-the-ear design in "gaming" phones, so they don't have the kind of maximum isolation you'd want for an ear-splitting LAN party, and obviously don't have the "whoa" sound quality of my 3x as expensive headphones, but they can be counted on.

mkenyon

Banned
How about a TV section, best tv's for Sofa gaming, I'm looking for something in the 50 inch range, my tv currently has a TF2 result screen image burned into it.

TV shopping's a nightmare
I'm interested in this too. Are 1080p TVs good enough for PC gaming?
I can get a brand new 42" 1080p TV from, say, LG, for around £300, and that will include a digital tuner.
You are looking at around double that for a 42" 1080p PC monitor.
Are the benefits of a dedicated monitor really that great?
Just what are the benefits that justify doubling the price for (on the face of it) less capability?
Depends on the user's preferences for TVs really. That's also a ton of research, as TVs are so rapidly changing that it makes monitor tech seem like it's standing still.

I know the Sony W series TVs are generally about as good as it gets. They strobe, like the (real) 120Hz monitors I listed to help reduce motion blur, albeit at 60Hz.

Some of the 4K TVs can get a 120Hz 1080p image via HDMI 1.4, so those would be my personal preference.

Okay, I've convinced myself to look up what's what and probably add it now.

LilJoka

Have you installed any sort of codec packages?
This isnt really a hardware issue, so something is messing up on the software side. If VLC stutters it maybe something related to the GPU, which GPU do you have? Are you running the latest drivers? Have you tried an older driver?
In device manager is all Hardware recognized and no exclamation marks appear?
Did you install any motherboard utilities?

teiresias

Even given the meh overclocking reviews of the 4790k, I'm ready to get off of this i7-870 and eek out some better performance in Dolphin and PCSX2. I'm also not interested in jumping in on the first round of DDR4, so I think the 4790k - at the same price as a 4770k for a 500Mhz base and turbo boost - is fine for a three year build at least at this point.

I'll definitely need to move off of this 680 next year though, so hopefully the new GPUs live up to expectations (and Nvidia doesn't charge an arm and a leg to move from 2GB VRAM).

LilJoka

Even given the meh overclocking reviews of the 4790k, I'm ready to get off of this i7-870 and eek out some better performance in Dolphin and PCSX2. I'm also not interested in jumping in on the first round of DDR4, so I think the 4790k - at the same price as a 4770k - is fine for a three year build at least at this point.

I'll definitely need to move off of this 680 next year though, so hopefully the new GPUs live up to expectations (and Nvidia doesn't charge an arm and a leg to move from 2GB VRAM).

Yes DDR4 will not offer anything for gaming. RAM Bandwidth is more than enough already. New GPUs still not much news on them.

Water

Kinda worth it I'd say. That 4.0 base clock is pretty tempting.

I wonder if I understand this correctly - the 2/2/3/4 turbo on a stock 4790k means if the processor has enough cooling it should be running at 4.2 or better at all times? And the "4.6" and such numbers people report as normal overclocks are with turbo disabled & all cores permanently at 4.6? If so, that would only be a 10% difference in the best of circumstances, and overclocking is starting to look like a bad value proposition for almost everyone who isn't a hardware enthusiast. Maybe we'll start seeing people deliberately buy cheap non-Z mobos with 4790k:s.

Smokey

Man I've been going back and forth...with three Titans I feel like I should get on X79. With X99 far out + DDR4...feel like there wouldn't be much difference. Especially if the 8 core part is indeed the 5960x. The Z97 is nice with the features and all, but as long as I can hook up my 2 SSDs and HDD I'm good.

X79 is literally aimed at people with a setup like mine (extra PCIe lanes).Feel like getting a 4930k with a mobo and calling it a day...

Mascot

Depends on the user's preferences for TVs really. That's also a ton of research, as TVs are so rapidly changing that it makes monitor tech seem like it's standing still.

I know the Sony W series TVs are generally about as good as it gets. They strobe, like the (real) 120Hz monitors I listed to help reduce motion blur, albeit at 60Hz.

Some of the 4K TVs can get a 120Hz 1080p image via HDMI 1.4, so those would be my personal preference.

Okay, I've convinced myself to look up what's what and probably add it now.

Fantastic! Look forward to it.

mkenyon

Banned
I wonder if I understand this correctly - the 2/2/3/4 turbo on a stock 4790k means if the processor has enough cooling it should be running at 4.2 or better at all times? And the "4.6" and such numbers people report as normal overclocks are with turbo disabled & all cores permanently at 4.6? If so, that would only be a 10% difference in the best of circumstances, and overclocking is starting to look like a bad value proposition for almost everyone who isn't a hardware enthusiast. Maybe we'll start seeing people deliberately buy cheap non-Z mobos with 4790k:s.
Yeah, the big benefit has always been getting over the 4.0 GHz hump. There's still gains to be had the further you go though. Granted, it's probably good enough for a huge number of people.

But, for argument's sake:

AbxKn.png

lh4FY.png

b3TgS.png

Jz7Ey.png

PCaGI.png

The higher you go, the more you reduce the bottom end of performance, giving you an overall smoother experience. This is for games that are single/dual threaded as well as multiplayer games.

For the big graphics single player experiences, it won't make much of any difference.
X79 is literally aimed at people with a setup like mine (extra PCIe lanes).Feel like getting a 4930k with a mobo and calling it a day...
When you buy three titan blacks, I think you've officially given up "settling" as an option.

Gumbie

Any cases that support EATX motherboards and aren't huge besides the carbide 540? I've currently got a 750d but I really need to downsize in my office. Would I just be better off selling the motherboard and getting a micro atx?

mkenyon

Banned
Any cases that support EATX motherboards and aren't huge besides the carbide 540? I've currently got a 750d but I really need to downsize in my office. Would I just be better off selling the motherboard and getting a micro atx?
Arc Midi R2, Define R4, Phanteks Enthoo Pro. Compare sizes, see if it's that's what you're aiming for.

The Air 540 is a lot shorter, but is much wider. Not sure if that works.

If those are all still a bit too large, then yeah, mATX. I think mATX should be standard.

jett

D-Member
Have you installed any sort of codec packages?

I installed the klite codec pack to see if that would fix it, but it didn't.

This isnt really a hardware issue, so something is messing up on the software side. If VLC stutters it maybe something related to the GPU, which GPU do you have? Are you running the latest drivers? Have you tried an older driver?

It's a Gigabyte 280X, I have the latest drivers. I guess I could try an older driver. One strange thing that didn't happen in my old computer is that when i turn on my second screen (it's a TV), my monitor turns off and then on, as if it was changing it's refresh rate or something. I really don't know what is going on.

In device manager is all Hardware recognized and no exclamation marks appear?
Did you install any motherboard utilities?

I have an unknown device under "other devices", there's no other information, just something Microsoft ACPI system or something.

And just the Asus Z97 drivers.

Thanks for the help.

mkenyon

Banned
So what you sayin bruh

6 cores and more PCIe lanes would give me a more "balanced" machine. Tell me I'm right MK
If you want that, you can wait a month or whatever for X99/Haswell-E.
I was...but I'm not at the moment. With that said I'd like to have the option in the future should I go back to it.
3-Way SLI? Because the Maximus Extreme's only purpose above other boards is the PLX chip which multiplies PCI-E lanes. If you want to run 2-Way, then any mATX board will be perfectly adequate.

So currently Im running a relatively new i7 4770k at stock speeds. It can get up to 4.2 no problem at stock voltage (by just turning up the multiplier to 42x). Havent really messed with it much, but keeping it at stock for now. I have a ASUS Maximus Hero VI board - should I upgrade to a i7 4790k or no? My coworker offered to buy my old i7 for $200 to offset the new chip - thoughts?

Other specs, SSD 500gb + 1TB magnet drive. 8gigs ram, GTX 680 2gb. Thank you!

mkenyon

Banned
So currently Im running a relatively new i7 4770k at stock speeds. It can get up to 4.2 no problem at stock voltage (by just turning up the multiplier to 42x). Havent really messed with it much, but keeping it at stock for now. I have a ASUS Maximus Hero VI board - should I upgrade to a i7 4790k or no? My coworker offered to buy my old i7 for $200 to offset the new chip - thoughts?

Other specs, SSD 500gb + 1TB magnet drive. 8gigs ram, GTX 680 2gb. Thank you!
Nope.

LilJoka

I installed the klite codec pack to see if that would fix it, but it didn't.

It's a Gigabyte 280X, I have the latest drivers. I guess I could try an older driver. One strange thing that didn't happen in my old computer is that when i turn on my second screen (it's a TV), my monitor turns off and then on, as if it was changing it's refresh rate or something. I really don't know what is going on.

I have an unknown device under "other devices", there's no other information, just something Microsoft ACPI system or something.

And just the Asus Z97 drivers.

Thanks for the help.

Is the Monitor and TV the same resolution/refresh rate? Otherwise the highest common resolution and refresh rate is being applied when switching the TV on.

Need exact name of the device that is missing in device manager. And better yet, right click it, properties -> Details, use the drop down box to find the hardware ID and paste the string here.

Uninstall the Codec packages as VLC has all the builtin decoders for pretty much all formats.

mkenyon

Banned
I really wish PCI-E SSDs would become more mainstream. I'm so tired of routing SATA data and power cables.
M.2 SATA is what you are looking for, and it is now mainstream. The actual M.2 SSDs are going to start coming out over the next few months. If you don't have a Z97 board, you can just get an M.2 expansion/riser card, and attach them to that.

PCI-E SSDs are naturally more expensive because what they are at the core is a SATA controller with two SSDs in RAID0 onboard. It's not just a single device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom