• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
If money was no object I would get this:

IPS_LAG_OMG_THE-IPS_LAG.jpg

As Linus says in his review ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4 ) I don't give two craps about 4K. This 21:9 screens are amazing for productivity but also for immersion. Having such a wide viewing area without the bezels. It's a game changer.

But the price. The goddamn price. AOC is launching a similar competing 34' 21:9 but I have no idea if it's any good. Anyone heard anything? http://www.techpowerup.com/201606/aoc-to-release-the-u3477pqu-34-inch-3440-x-1440-monitor.html

What kind of money are we talking about for a monitor like that?

TheD

The Detective
When the people you're arguing with about hardware and performance are like the people that you see on Hardware enthusiast forums even, let alone those GAF threads that get out of control, a sort of Dunning-Kruger effect manifests.

I'd imagine they've put it out of their mind as an aberration, not as a sign that they don't know what they're talking about :p

Yeah, the amount of dumbarses that held up a screenshot of Watch Dogs with MSI Afterburner showing an i7 using about 70% on 4 of it's hardware threads and 20% on the other 4 as proof that the i5 could not run it well was painful.

Tablo

So how long will it be before I can build a PC that's equal to a PS4 for under $400? Any estimates?
-_- Keep in mind that PCs are infinitely more useful than consoles, and more scalable, flexible, personizable.
And you pay for that. And it's damn well worth it.

You could try. I'm not sure if Windows 7/8 still does this though. I know this happened to me when I first installed XP :p

Have you made sure the HDD you installed Windows to is set as the boot disk in your Bios?

Ok. So I checked Bios and my new drive is indeed set as the boot disk.

1. When I start the PC it gives me two Windows 7 options to choose from. One will load from the new install, and the other my old one.

2. Should I just reinstall windows again?

2. If yes. WHEN do I unplug my old hard drive in the process?

mkenyon

Banned
So how long will it be before I can build a PC that's equal to a PS4 for under $400? Any estimates?
Ignore the crabby Canadian.

In a few years probably, though you can get damn close right now. The hard thing right now with PC hardware is that the CPUs are pretty ridiculous compared to the console CPUs. A single core on a modern i5/i7 is more powerful than all 8 on a xbone/PS4, for example.

As a result, when you plop in a GPU equivalent to the PS4/Xbone, you have something that is immediately more powerful despite having roughly the same rendering capability.

Right now, the $525 build in the OP is about on par.

Brofist

Ok. So I checked Bios and my new drive is indeed set as the boot disk.

1. When I start the PC it gives me two Windows 7 options to choose from. One will load from the new install, and the other my old one.

2. Should I just reinstall windows again?

2. If yes. WHEN do I unplug my old hard drive in the process?

Sounds like you did a Windows install without wiping the drive first? Or is the other Windows install on a different drive?

Either way I would just wipe everything and do a reinstall. Assuming of course you have backed up any data you need/don't want to lose.

Sounds like you did a Windows install without wiping the drive first? Or is the other Windows install on a different drive?

Either way I would just wipe everything and do a reinstall. Assuming of course you have backed up any data you need/don't want to lose.

I have everything backed up.

Have a link to a handy guide?

I am just getting into this stuff.

mkenyon

Banned
RJmnh.png

These headphones are mainly chosen for positional quality. No budget headsets since most are poor. I suggest going with a Xonar DGX and a 3.5mm mic instead.

[HEADSETS]
Vnp7oxv.png
g9Tj99n.png
$80 - Func HS-260
djCTRLi.png
$250/300 - Sennheiser 350 SE / 363D - 363D are open ear, include virtual 7.1 DAC, and are USB.

[HEADPHONES]
Vnp7oxv.png
Z3sYAmH.png
$45 - Superlux HD668B
T6KCjku.png
$75 - Creative Aurvana Live!
yyRnc8q.png
$150 - BD DT990 250 Ohm Pro
q4Oag2P.png
$250 - AKG Q701

[MICS]
Vnp7oxv.png
VpbecIs.png
$50 - Antlion ModMic 4.0
COfYcGN.png
$3 - DX Clip-on mic (2-6 Week shipping)

[KEYBOARDS]
Vnp7oxv.png
Mechanical switches are referred to Cherry MX switches. MX Brown = Quiet tactile, MX Blue = loud tactile, MX Black = stiff linear, MX Red = soft linear. Cooler Master University.

D2QJo.png
$15 - Rosewill RIKB . . . . . .
ARgbnZJ.png
$15 - MS Keyboard 200
bip3Adp.png
$50 - Corsair K30

UIKrd8G.png
$90 - CM Quickfire Stealth
fUvfDiU.png
$90 - CM Quickfire XT . .
L5QDE64.png
$180 - CM Novatouch TKL

If you already have everything backed up just start up the install again. Than choose custom install and delete/format everything. I am sure you can figure out the rest.

I have two hard drives though. I am installing it on my SSD, and I want my HDD wiped.

I am pretty sure I did what you said already, but it left my HDD intact with its OS.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
RJmnh.png

These headphones are mainly chosen for positional quality. No budget headsets since most are poor. I suggest going with a Xonar DGX and a 3.5mm mic instead.

[HEADSETS]
Vnp7oxv.png
g9Tj99n.png
$80 - Func HS-260
djCTRLi.png
$250/300 - Sennheiser 350 SE / 363D - 363D are open ear, include virtual 7.1 DAC, and are USB.

[HEADPHONES]
Vnp7oxv.png
Z3sYAmH.png
$45 - Superlux HD668B
T6KCjku.png
$75 - Creative Aurvana Live!
yyRnc8q.png
$150 - BD DT990 250 Ohm Pro
q4Oag2P.png
$250 - AKG Q701

[MICS]
Vnp7oxv.png
imxDgF4.png
$50 - Antlion ModMic 4.0
COfYcGN.png
$3 - DX Clip-on mic (2-6 Week shipping)

[KEYBOARDS]
Vnp7oxv.png
Mechanical switches are referred to Cherry MX switches. MX Brown = Quiet tactile, MX Blue = loud tactile, MX Black = stiff linear, MX Red = soft linear. Cooler Master University.

D2QJo.png
$15 - Rosewill RIKB . . .
ARgbnZJ.png
$15 - MS Keyboard 200. .
bip3Adp.png
$50 - Corsair K30

UIKrd8G.png
$90 - CM Quickfire Stealth
I25jH.png
$70 - Logitech K750 . .
L5QDE64.png
$180 - CM Novatouch TKL

AKG 701s and the Soundblaster ZxR still the best gaming audio I can get for under $500?

Tablo

Add the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO
And USB soundcard options like the SoundBlaster Omni. I can vouch for these two items :p

And yeah the ZxR is the best gaming soundcard on the market.

Sarcasm

I have two hard drives though. I am installing it on my SSD, and I want my HDD wiped.

I am pretty sure I did what you said already, but it left my HDD intact with its OS.

It left it intact cause in reality you didn't delete and format that drive. If I must I will make up a short guide in virtualbox if you really want but if the OS is on the SSD and you want to wipe the HDD you can also do that within windows drive manager. But if the OS created a small partition (which it does normally) it may have put it on there.

Blackage

Considering skipping 4790K, Broadwell and just waiting for Skylake like a crazy person since my 2500K @ 4.8 is apparently still good enough for a lot of things, thoughts? :eek:

NoRéN

Considering skipping 4790K, Broadwell and just waiting for Skylake like a crazy person since my 2500K @ 4.8 is apparently still good enough for a lot of things, thoughts? :eek:

the 2500k is dead. Watch Dogs killed it. That's a fact.

I am the queen of england

Even though this thread is about to die, anyone have any recommendations for a new GPU? I'm a broke college student so as much as I'd like to drop all of the money on a Titan, I'm looking to spend around $500-ish? Ideally I'd like to be able to run new releases on at least high settings at 1080p/60; don't even need to go crazy with downsampling or anything.

My first thought was a GTX 780, but I'm not sure if Maxwell is close enough that I should wait. Some of what AMD has been doing recently seems worth checking out as well?

mkenyon

Banned
gvApQ53.png

[QUIET OPTIONS]
Vnp7oxv.png
t8cQtRP.png
$50 - BitFenix Comrade
smxXcMq.png
$80 - NZXT H230 . . . . .
5Xt5UBu.png
$100 - Define R4 . . . . . . . .
7uv1Nt9.png
$130 - Fractal Define XL R2​

[BUDGET]
Vnp7oxv.png
5gVK6lw.png
$40 - NZXT Source 210 .
SFXcHsq.png
$45 - Enermax Ostrog .
KX20N9d.png
$50 - CM N400 . . . . . . . . . .
lzq2XCr.png
$60 - Corsair 200R​

[ENHANCED]
Vnp7oxv.png
D9woTlB.png
$100 - CM 690 III . . . . .
YqlZgA4.png
$90 - Phanteks Pro . .
AjppqnK.png
$100 - Phanteks Pro Adv .
m61gbEH.png
$110 - Fractal Arc Midi R2​

[ENTHUSIAST]
Vnp7oxv.png
1zcINmG.png
$150 Corsair Air 540 . . .
sNtSB0r.png
$150 - NZXT H630 . . . .
Y3miXnA.png
$240 - Phanteks Primo . . . .
tiYTfh8.png
$400 - CaseLabs SM8​

[Micro ATX]
Vnp7oxv.png
AiLWm19.png
$40 - Silverstone PS08
ulzJjrP.png
$100 - Corsair Air 240 .
WDpIXYP.png
$100 - Define Mini . . . . . . .
6sN8F2N.png
$110 - Node 804​

That's what I'm doing. I have a 2600k @4.4. Both by the fact that I just moved to Southern California and am broke but also to hold out as long as possible to really feel that difference of a substantial upgrade.

NoRéN

Even though this thread is about to die, anyone have any recommendations for a new GPU? I'm a broke college student so as much as I'd like to drop all of the money on a Titan, I'm looking to spend around $500-ish? Ideally I'd like to be able to run new releases on at least high settings at 1080p/60; don't even need to go crazy with downsampling or anything.

My first thought was a GTX 780, but I'm not sure if Maxwell is close enough that I should wait. Some of what AMD has been doing recently seems worth checking out as well?

Yeah, a R290 or a GTX 780 would be the choices to go with.

There's a used 290 for $300 in the buy sell thread which could serve you well and leave you with cash to spare for an upgrade later on.

mkenyon

Banned
RNhwyVJ.png

[BUDGET]
Vnp7oxv.png
K3aVSwe.png
$140 - ASUS VS229H-P
And any $100-$120 monitor that has decent reviews and is not an lesser brand. Many of the higher monitors also go on steep discounts.

[STANDARD]
Vnp7oxv.png

S8GJnfJ.png
$170 - ASUS VS238H-P . .
PwszwID.png
$170 - ASUS VS239H-P

The 238H is a TN panel with better motion resolution and less input lag. The 239H is an IPS panel with better colors.

[120Hz+ @ 1080p]
Vnp7oxv.png
YtsDJyz.png
$280 - BenQ XL2411Z . . . .
fpIkcTb.png
$280 - ASUS VG248QE
EDsaGIa.png
$600 - Eizo Foris FG2421

The BenQ XL2411Z is currently the best TN high refresh rate monitor to buy, with a firmware based strobing effect that works with BlurBuster's Strobing Utility. Get the ASUS VG248QE for G-Sync compatibility, module not included. The Eizo is a VA panel with native strobing which allows for very impressive colors with near zero blur.

[1440/4K]
Vnp7oxv.png

4fxbIOz.png
$450 - Nixeus Vue 27 . . . .
RFXyJYH.png
$800 - RoG Swift . . . . .
Kp0cwOX.png
$700 - ASUS PB287Q

The Nixeus Vue is a great H-IPS panel for the money if you're looking for a 1440p panel that has great colors. The panel used is rated A/A+, compared to the typical A- panel used in most of the "Korean IPS" monitors. It also includes a warranty, which is fairly important for a monitor this size. The RoG Swift is a TN panel with a built in G-Sync module, and is capable of 144Hz. Compared to IPS panels, the color consistency won't be as accurate, but motion resolution is near perfect with ULMB, and variable refresh rate with G-Sync will give you a smoother gaming experience on titles you can't run with 8.3ms frame times (120 FPS). The ASUS is the best large 4K monitor you can buy under $1000.

NoRéN;115641236 said:
Yeah, a R290 or a GTX 780 would be the choices to go with.

There's a used 290 for $300 in the buy sell thread which could serve you well and leave you with cash to spare for an upgrade later on.

Cool, thanks. I'll see if I can scrape together the cash for a R290, although the one in the BST thread seems like a pretty good deal.

simonski

Similar question to above I suppose, but what would be recommended as an upgrade to my current system (-5 750 OC'd to 3.8ghz with a 670 dcii top)? Would new GPU be better than a CPU,? Both isn't really an option (and GPU would probably be cheapest, looking at around £300, or ~£600 for cpu/mb/ram).

Looking to game at 1080p60 as often as possible, and not grind to a halt when the rift DK2 arrives.

Thanks!

I just bought a second hand Phenom X3 8450 (for dirt cheap, like $20) to slap onto a spare AM3 mainboard for an HTPC with 4GB DDR2 RAM. I won't have issues with Full HD mp4/mkv and BD playback, will I?

Dries

Hey guys, I'm curious to see if upgrading my CPU will give me a performance boost. I'm talking current CPU's or near to-be-released CPU's. All I'm looking for is more fps. My current rig:

i5 2500k overclocked to 4.1ghz currently (but probably could go to 4.4/4.5) (stock is 3.3ghz)
8GB RAM
GTX 770 2 GB VRAM
1920 x 1080

All I'm curious for is whether or not upgrading my CPU will give me a fps boost that's worth it. The reason I'm asking? Why, The Witcher 3 of course.

LilJoka

I cannot say how happy i am to be a PC gamer now GTA V is coming, WOOOO!!!

All i need now is a Halo alternative, i need 4 player split screen fps games

Addnan

Hey guys, I'm curious to see if upgrading my CPU will give me a performance boost. I'm talking current CPU's or near to-be-released CPU's. All I'm looking for is more fps. My current rig:

i5 2500k overclocked to 4.1ghz currently (but probably could go to 4.4/4.5) (stock is 3.3ghz)
8GB RAM
GTX 770 2 GB VRAM
1920 x 1080

All I'm curious for is whether or not upgrading my CPU will give me a fps boost that's worth it. The reason I'm asking? Why, The Witcher 3 of course.
For Witcher nobody knows...

In general a 4.5Ghz 2500K is still a monster. See title.

Mascot

How about a TV section, best tv's for Sofa gaming, I'm looking for something in the 50 inch range, my tv currently has a TF2 result screen image burned into it.

TV shopping's a nightmare

I'm interested in this too. Are 1080p TVs good enough for PC gaming?
I can get a brand new 42" 1080p TV from, say, LG, for around £300, and that will include a digital tuner.
You are looking at around double that for a 42" 1080p PC monitor.
Are the benefits of a dedicated monitor really that great?
Just what are the benefits that justify doubling the price for (on the face of it) less capability?

I'm wondering if I shoulf wait for the 4790k or just do my build with the 4770k I have on hand and just overclock that with those meh reviews of the 4790k.

LilJoka

I'm wondering if I shoulf wait for the 4790k or just do my build with the 4770k I have on hand and just overclock that with those meh reviews of the 4790k.

You are at the mercy of the silicon lottery in both scenarios in terms of OC potential.
Either way, to extract the maximum youll want to delid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom