• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Probably dying, nothing new.
I will say it again - Corsair Hydro coolers have shoddy build quality, and i will never buy one again. Go air cooling or EK/XSPC watercooling kit.
I'd expand to say the older Asetek units (basically everything), and I'm not 100% sold on water partly because of it and it really doesn't offer anything for CPUs right now sans looks, not even noise.

qKaC3K

PUMP, not fans

Sorry by fans I meant the pump as well. It's running 4600 RPM while the fan attached 2000 RPM.

I've also put on another fan on the other side of the heatsink so now it's a proper push pull config but it didn't change much if anything.

LilJoka

I'd expand to say the older Asetek units (basically everything), and I'm not 100% sold on water partly because of it and it really doesn't offer anything for CPUs right now sans looks, not even noise.

They are now CoolIT i believe, all of the brands are using it pretty much, its better but the failure rate is just too high to consider it. Ive built countless PCs, dam it i worked at Intel and treated parts like trash, nothing has ever broken in my hands in the last 6 years or so, except my H80i.

Sorry by fans I meant the pump as well. It's running 4600 RPM while the fan attached 2000 RPM.

I've also put on another fan on the other side of the heatsink so now it's a proper push pull config but it didn't change much if anything.

Pump speed is reading ok, its reading double as the motherboard doesnt use a divider like the Corsair Link software does, another cheapout for corsair...

Lum1n3s

I'm in the market looking for a 1080p monitor, can anyone recommend one for me. $200 or below if possible and question is there a notable and discerning difference between one that is 5ms or 1ms?

so... that is great news to know I wont need a Watercooler to OC a 4790K over a HSF.

But, what about for Mini-ITX bros like me? I'm going to be building a new build inside the Silverstone ML07/RVZ01 (havent decided yet, leaning on the ML07 tho) so how do i find out the millimeters of clearance I have in height, and how do i find the best HSF that will fit, perform well and be quiet.

LilJoka

so... that is great news to know I wont need a Watercooler to OC a 4790K over a HSF.

But, what about for Mini-ITX bros like me? I'm going to be building a new build inside the Silverstone ML07/RVZ01 (havent decided yet, leaning on the ML07 tho) so how do i find out the millimeters of clearance I have in height, and how do i find the best HSF that will fit, perform well and be quiet.

For the RVZ01 you want one of the down facing heatsinks like the Scythe Shuriken. Noctua do something similar too.
And for the cube type mITX cases the Hyper 212 will usually fit, which will match the H60 without dying, ever.

Make sure the CPU socket is centralized on your mITX board to give increased HSF compatibility too.

On the subject of the RVZ01, Silverstone is coming out with a FTZ01 with an aluminium body, hooray! No more tacky plastic console design.
3c4b0983_SST-FTZ01.jpeg

mkenyon

Banned
RNhwyVJ.png

[BUDGET]
Vnp7oxv.png
K3aVSwe.png
$140 - ASUS VS229H-P
And any $100-$120 monitor that has decent reviews and is not an lesser brand. Many of the higher monitors also go on steep discounts.

[STANDARD]
Vnp7oxv.png

S8GJnfJ.png
$170 - ASUS VS238H-P . .
PwszwID.png
$170 - ASUS VS239H-P

The 238H is a TN panel with better motion resolution and less input lag. The 239H is an IPS panel with better colors.

[120Hz+ @ 1080p]
Vnp7oxv.png
YtsDJyz.png
$280 - BenQ XL2411Z . . .
fpIkcTb.png
$280 - ASUS VG248QE
EDsaGIa.png
$600 - Eizo Foris FG2421

The BenQ XL2411Z is currently the best TN high refresh rate monitor to buy, with a firmware based strobing effect that works with BlurBuster's Strobing Utility. Get the ASUS VG248QE for G-Sync compatibility, module not included. The Eizo is a VA panel with native strobing which allows for very impressive colors with near zero blur.

[1440/4K]
Vnp7oxv.png

EaCvTem.png
$450 - Nixeus Vue 27 . . . .
RFXyJYH.png
$800 - RoG Swift . . . . .
Kp0cwOX.png
$700 - ASUS PB287Q

The Nixeus Vue is a great PLS panel for the money if you're looking for a 1440p panel that has great colors. The panel used is rated A/A+, compared to the typical A- panel used in most of the "Korean IPS" monitors. It also includes a warranty, which is fairly important for a monitor this size. The RoG Swift is a TN panel with a built in G-Sync module, and is capable of 144Hz. Compared to IPS panels, the color consistency won't be as accurate, but motion resolution is near perfect with ULMB, and variable refresh rate with G-Sync will give you a smoother gaming experience on titles you can't run with 8.3ms frame times (120 FPS). The ASUS is the best large 4K monitor you can buy under $1000.

mkenyon

Banned
If anyone has a strong opinion on any of the monitor choices, please do voice it. I mostly go on info I've gathered from OCN and BlurBusters. I think we're going to steer away from offering any suggestions on high end IPS/PLS stuff because it's not really fitting for a gaming PC thread, and those things seem to change on a monthly basis.
and it really doesn't offer anything for CPUs right now sans looks, not even noise.
Lets talk again after you have to troubleshoot a PC with a Noctua or some other monstrosity on it. I think it's been too long since you've bloodied your knuckles bruh.

kennah

"INANPC" OT2 - System Requirements Always Lie.

Ot2 - if you have a question about The Witcher 3 come back in February

Ot2 - Release date bingo

Ot2 - 2500k still fine. W_D lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Thread 2 of 900p is nearly 1/6 of 4K.

or

Thread 2 of READ OP, 2500K IS GOOD, NO ONE KNOWS HOW YOUR PC IS GOING TO RUN WITCHER 3 SO DON'T ASK

so i updated my build with the best low-profile HSF according to this review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-profile-heat-sink-mini-itx,3639-22.html

Any suggestions?: (I'll be recycling my ASUS 770 DCU2) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rjMbCJ

The intel Zeon is a price match of the 4790K deal from Microcenter and the ASUS Impact VI is a placeholder for the Impact VII(Add $40 to it).

Should I go with a smaller SSD for my OS? I plan to only have a handful of my most actively played game installed on the SSD at a time & any that will benefit from faster loading? The 3TB will store all other steam games(via symbolic links), music and media.

Tablo

Avoid WD Greens and Reds. Some really anecdotal study found Toshibas to be the most reliable of the current bunch.

Interesting. Toshiba doesn't seem to have anything 4 TB price competitive with the WD Reds as of yet though, damn.
I know the WD SE ones are good, but those are expensive.
Damn we need more reliable high capacity HDDs at reasonable price urgh

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;115550760 said:
I wish I could remember the names of some of the people who would post here then all of a sudden were shitting on this thread in the Watch Dogs threads. I wonder how they feel now.
When the people you're arguing with about hardware and performance are like the people that you see on Hardware enthusiast forums even, let alone those GAF threads that get out of control, a sort of Dunning-Kruger effect manifests.

I'd imagine they've put it out of their mind as an aberration, not as a sign that they don't know what they're talking about :p
Interesting. Toshiba doesn't seem to have anything 4 TB price competitive with the WD Reds as of yet though, damn.
I know the WD SE ones are good, but those are expensive.
Damn we need more reliable high capacity HDDs at reasonable price urgh
It's not that interesting, as the study was EXTREMELY anecdotal.

But there's a ton of reports of Reds failing right now. I had a friend who bought 8, and has had 5 failures in the last three months.

NoRéN;115550760 said:
I wish I could remember the names of some of the people who would post here then all of a sudden were shitting on this thread in the Watch Dogs threads. I wonder how they feel now.

I made fun of the 2GB-is-enough people a little bit in the WD threads. Does that count?

mkenyon

Banned
@Kennah and other people who pay attention to mATX:

Thinking about swapping the current selections in the OP to either:

Silverstone PS06 (mega budget, but still good), TJ08, Define Mini, Node 504

OR

Silverstone PS06, Phanteks MiniXL, Phanteks Evolv, Node 504

I think those Phanteks will be in there eventually, it's just that they're not out yet. But they're so good, I want people to know about them before they buy something else and get disappointed a month down the road. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

tarheel91

OR

I think those Phanteks will be in there eventually, it's just that they're not out yet. But they're so good, I want people to know about them before they buy something else and get disappointed a month down the road. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Corsair Air 240 looks awesome, but waiting for a few reviews to validate cooling/noise would probably be a good idea.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, it's either that or the Node really. I don't think either are really going to be worth it over the MiniXL or Evolv though, unless pricing skews it completely in favor of the Air 240.

I was all hyped about the 240 until I saw those Phanteks videos.

kennah

PS06 is kinda big huge ain't it?

And yeah, the Air 240 should be added.

And Phantek is going to overtake the entire case industry. Their new stuff looks sooooo goooood.

Tablo

It's not that interesting, as the study was EXTREMELY anecdotal.

But there's a ton of reports of Reds failing right now. I had a friend who bought 8, and has had 5 failures in the last three months.
WTF, yeah dude thank you, I ain't getting WD Greens or Reds now it seems! I've read that they're probably the same drives just different firmwares too.
Guess I'm waiting for better drives or something.

I was thinking of putting four in something like the WD My Cloud EX 4.
Need a better solution for my personal media storage/archival.

mkenyon

Banned
WTF, yeah dude thank you, I ain't getting WD Greens or Reds now it seems! I've read that they're probably the same drives just different firmwares too.
Guess I'm waiting for better drives or something.

I was thinking of putting four in something like the WD My Cloud EX 4.
Need a better solution for my personal media storage/archival.
Once you get up to the 4 or 5 drives size, it really just becomes a "maintenance" thing to maintain safety. Unless you're willing to shell out the money for some WD Enterprise drives, like the RE4s.

Use RAID 5, drive dies, swap in new one, rebuild RAID, done deal. Repeat when there's another failure.

Tablo

That makes sense. So with a RAID 5, is it that you need (with 4 drives) one drive not for storage space but for rebuilding it if one of the other 3 fail?
Then just hope not more than 1 at a time fails xD
Yeah those RE drives look delicious but 300$ a pop for 4 TB, damn.

LilJoka

So I got some help from some people and I've been tinkering with this build. Any feedback? Also, why does the price graph jump so drastically in mid-may?

The product in yellow didnt exist before that date on the website.

Post the link to your build so we can load it up and modify it for you.

kharma45

OR

For mATX what about the N200 and the Silencio 352?

SHADES

This E3 is make or break for me as I'm seriously considering selling my PS4+games & camera and doing the upgrade to my PSU & GPU early, not sure if I want Sony to show the games or not at this point????

I reckon I could get £430 for my PS4 with 5 games/2 pads/camera, that's R9 280/770+ PSU and maybe a new keyboard right there, Hmmm???? What to do??

mkenyon

Banned
Is saving money not an option? I mean that in a very non-condescending way. Seems like having both would be better, unless you're not playing the PS4 and it's just an expensive weight.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This E3 is make or break for me as I'm seriously considering selling my PS4+games & camera and doing the upgrade to my PSU & GPU early, not sure if I want Sony to show the games or not at this point????

I reckon I could get £430 for my PS4 with 5 games/2 pads/camera, that's R9 280/770+ PSU and maybe a new keyboard right there, Hmmm???? What to do??
I mean you bought a PS4 to play Uncharted, Beast Souls, TLG, MGSV, etc right?
Why would you even post this an hour before their conference :|

Friend of mine wants a new monitor but doesn't have a huge budget. Anything in the 200-250 pound range? He lives in Scotland if availability matters.

Ok. So I successfully installed my SSD and installed Windows on it.

How do I make sure that windows is booting from the SSD and not the install on my old hard drive? ...and when can I feel safe to reformat my old hard drive for storage space?

systematic

Unconfirmed Member

Out of interest were the manufacture dates on those drives from before December 2013?

Head parking was set to something ridiculous (every 8 seconds, like the Green range) which lead to extremely high load/unload cycle counts.

WD released a firmware update to fix the issue. My drive was averaging 400-500 cycles a day before the update.

SHADES

I mean you bought a PS4 to play Uncharted, Beast Souls, TLG, MGSV, etc right?
Why would you even post this an hour before their conference :|

Nope, I brought my PS4 after being let down by MS with the X1 and before I converted to PC gaming. I have the bug now and wish to shower my tower with new shiny, that and the fact that since I've built my PC I've hardly touched my PS4.

Ok. So I successfully installed my SSD and installed Windows on it.

How do I make sure that windows is booting from the SSD and not the install on my old hard drive? ...and when can I feel safe to reformat my old hard drive for storage space?

I believe it's best practice to unplug all your hard drives except the one you're installing windows on. This is to ensure windows doesn't put files on your secondary hard drive that are necessary for it too boot/function.

I believe it's best practice to unplug all your hard drives except the one you're installing windows on. This is to ensure windows doesn't put files on your secondary hard drive that are necessary for it too boot/function.

Dammit....

Could I just unplug the other one now and start it to see if it works?

If money was no object I would get this:

IPS_LAG_OMG_THE-IPS_LAG.jpg

As Linus says in his review ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4 ) I don't give two craps about 4K. This 21:9 screens are amazing for productivity but also for immersion. Having such a wide viewing area without the bezels. It's a game changer.

But the price. The goddamn price. AOC is launching a similar competing 34' 21:9 but I have no idea if it's any good. Anyone heard anything? http://www.techpowerup.com/201606/aoc-to-release-the-u3477pqu-34-inch-3440-x-1440-monitor.html

...or you can just change the boot order in BIOS\UEFI settings which takes like 3 button presses and a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom