• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

I was wondering about that side of things, as XFX isn't a manufacturer I'd heard of before seeing that card. Thanks for the Scan link, I'll grab the MSI one instead, never had a problem with their products before.

Yeah.. although looking at that Scan page, they have the wrong "free games" offer for that card. Looks like a mistake on their part. :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Running some final benches before I turn in my 670 o7

PS anyone have a copy of 3DMark? Demo can go suck it.

Menome

Yeah.. although looking at that Scan page, they have the wrong "free games" offer for that card. Looks like a mistake on their part. :/

Ah well, I'm anticipating Saints Row IV going for silly-low prices in the Steam summer-sale anyway, so I can live with that.

OTIX

Hmm, I was looking at buying a 770 when my DK2 arrives, could you guys elaborate on why it's a bad value compared to the other nvidia cards?

Looking at the prices here in Sweden the 770 costs about 30% more than the 760 while the 780 costs about 100% more than 760. So, on paper the 770 seemed like the sweet spot if you disregard amd.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hmm, I was looking at buying a 770 when my DK2 arrives, could you guys elaborate on why it's a bad value compared to the other nvidia cards?

Looking at the prices here in Sweden the 770 costs about 30% more than the 760 while the 780 costs about 100% more than 760. So, on paper the 770 seemed like the sweet spot if you disregard amd.
2GB is low for that price, 4GB kinda won't get all used so it feels wasteful, even if it's 'only' $50 more. The 770 to 780 is actually a worthwhile jump in performance as well unlike most previous x70 to x80 cards.

Ignoring WD being poop 3GB should be good for a while, hence the 780 recs

Durante

I think the 4GB 770 is a pretty sweet spot, particularly if you're more into high IQ gaming (and less sensitive to framerate). It's a mean 6k downsampling machine :p

Avtomat

I think they were speaking of the 4GB version of the 770 in particular. The 2GB version is a reasonable proposition though some are expressing doubt as to if 2GB will be enough in the coming years.

riflen

If you disregard AMD, then sure. This thread is here to give people all the options though.

The original poster was looking at spending £300 on a 4GB 770 and wants the card to last. The 770 uses a GPU that's now over 2 years old (essentially a 680 with a 40Mhz clock increase). Here in the UK, the R9 290 4GB starts at £316, which, as people were pointing out, is better value as there is a large performance difference in favour of the 290. It's also a much newer design, so is likely to be supported by AMD for longer.

Our other suggestion is to spend a smaller amount now on a 2GB 760 (which should be a nice upgrade from the poster's 1GB 560ti) and sell it on in 6-8 months when the 800 series arrives. At which point, spending £300 will get you much more for your money.

Jackpot

Banned
The time has come.

What could run a UE3 game no problem can only run Watch Dogs at 1 frame every 3 seconds. It's been a long time since I upgraded so I'm slightly out of the loop. What's a good retailer for the UK price-wise? I used dabs and sharkyextreme last time.

•Budget: UK. £400 is what I paid last time, anticipating having to go over.
•Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii), 5, Video Editing, 2, 3D/Model work 3, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback), 5.
•Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024.
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Watch_Dogs, Arma3, Wolfenstein, Daylight, GTAV. 30fps target
•Looking to reuse any parts?: 1TB hdd, Corsair TX 650w PSU.
•When will you build?: no deadline
•Will you be overclocking?: Yes, but longevity takes priority

Needs a case. I have serious dust buildup in my current room.

No other peripherals like network card, dvd drive, etc needed.

Longevity is the priority. I would like this to last for the lion's share of this generation.

Value for money is another priority, so no buying the best GPU when a close competitor is there for a significant price drop.

Would prefer Nvidia & Intel brands unless there's a real performance/price justification.

Thks.

Current specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
GA-MA790X-UD3P mobo
2gb ddr2 RAM
GTX 550 Ti

No suggestions?

LordAlu

No suggestions?
What's your actual budget? I know you state you paid £400 last time and you anticipate going over, but is there a limit to what you want to spend on a new system? We could end up recommending something way more than what you'd be able to afford :D

Thorgal

I don't know where else to ask this and this seems like the best place to ask :

I am not well versed in Direct x and how it works but iv'e been wondering about this .

The upcoming DX12 is supposed to lighten the load on CPU's .right ?

Would that translate to much better performance gains in a MMORPG ( wow , Guildwars 2 etc ) during events with 100s of players toghether ?

Mind you i am not expecting miracles from it in terms of performance gains .:p

Reason i am asking is that in Guildwars 2 during world boss events on a 780 ti My framerate goes from a solid 60 to as low as 15 fps due to all the chaos happening on screen .
Mind you i am not expecting miracles from it :p

Or is this something that will happen regardless ?

Smokey

I don't know where else to ask this and this seems like the best place to ask :

I am not well versed in Direct x and how it works but iv'e been wondering about this .

The upcoming DX12 is supposed to lighten the load on CPU's .right ?

Would that translate to much better performance gains in a MMORPG ( wow , Guildwars 2 etc ) during events with 100s of players toghether ?

Mind you i am not expecting miracles from it in terms of performance gains .:p

Reason i am asking is that in Guildwars 2 during world boss events on a 780 ti My framerate goes from a solid 60 to as low as 15 fps due to all the chaos happening on screen .
Mind you i am not expecting miracles from it :p

Or is this something that will happen regardless ?

What is your CPU? MMOs and MP games with high player counts is heavily CPU dependent.

Smokey

I7 3770 @ 3,40 ghz

Not overklocable version i am afraid .

Ah . The clock speed probably isn't doing you many favors during those events.

Mkenyon or some other watercooling genius...a co worker is going to sell me his 560Ti + 4GB RAM for $50. Need a GPU block !

riflen

Booting off USB with Windows 8.1 off reddit iso.
Tells me something about having a MBR partition, and it wants GPT.
I am confused. Using a Crucial MX100 512GB.

I believe you have to choose advanced in Windows installer when it lists your disks and partitions. Then select and delete any partitions present on the MX100. You should then be able to create a new partition to install to.

Mkenyon or some other watercooling genius...a co worker is going to sell me his 560Ti + 4GB RAM for $50. Need a GPU block !

Damn, missed the chance to offload one of my 570s with waterblock.
This'll be a challenge, Smokey. It's quite hard to find waterblocks for lower end cards, let alone ones several years old. All I can find is the NZXT Kraken G10, which you'll have to combine with Kraken X40 closed cooler. The G10 lists compatibility with GTX 560 Ti.

EDIT: Derp, EK might have a product. What is the make / model of 560 TI?

Thorgal

Ah . The clock speed probably isn't doing you many favors during those events.

Yeah i thought about replacing it with the K version and i even asked about it here .

However if it is truly the beast they are claiming it to be , i might just toss the motherboard out with it if necessary and get Hasswell -E.

I'm holding off for 2015(skylake, 800 series) to do a full system rebuild, targeting a large screen 4K capable machine.

I am currently running a GTX580 super OC and 2600K...my question is there a $100-$150 graphics card that's likely to be an upgrade over the 580? All my research says no...curious to hear another opinion.

mkenyon

Banned
@Smokey

You might have a nearly impossible time finding a FC block for a reference 560 Ti. You'll need to go for a universal block. EK recently released a pretty damn good product called the "Thermosphere"

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=40828

EK-Thermosphere_CA_full_1200.jpg

Just get some passive heatsinks for the memory and power delivery bits, which you can find anywhere.

*edit 2*

If you want to match the CPU block, there's also the XSPC Raystorm for GPUs:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._Block_includes_Xbox_One.html?tl=g59c661s2185

I'm holding off for 2015(skylake, 800 series) to do a full system rebuild, targeting a large screen 4K capable machine.

I am currently running a GTX580 super OC and 2600K...my question is there a $100-$150 graphics card that's likely to be an upgrade over the 580? All my research says no...curious to hear another opinion.
Nope.

Feels good to have...speed^__^ Just installed windows 7 on the new SSD.

Now have some questions/need some advice. I have 106 Windows updates that need to be installed— would you suggest just installing them all at once or a few at a time? Are there any particular updates I should watch out for(if any)?

Thanks

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah i thought about replacing it with the K version and i even asked about it here .

However if it is truly the beast they are claiming it to be , i might just toss the motherboard out with it if necessary and get Hasswell -E.
No one has any idea about Haswell-E yet :(
Feels good to have...speed^__^ Just installed windows 7 on the new SSD.

Now have some questions/need some advice. I have 106 Windows updates that need to be installed— would you suggest just installing them all at once or a few at a time? Are there any particular updates I should watch out for(if any)?

Thanks
Depends on whether the key you have is legit or not TBH. :p

If it's all Kosher, install everything.

Is there any kind of a general estimation on when the 4K gsync asus monitor will launch, or any other brand? Looking for a new monitor, and the asus 4K seems nice but doesn't have gsync. The RoG swift model looks nice but seems a bit expensive, would just hate to buy it and 3 months down the line the 4K model is out for the same price.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there any kind of a general estimation on when the 4K gsync asus monitor will launch, or any other brand? Looking for a new monitor, and the asus 4K seems nice but doesn't have gsync. The RoG swift model looks nice but seems a bit expensive, would just hate to buy it and 3 months down the line the 4K model is out for the same price.
But the 4K panel isn't 144Hz.
Titan Black only has 1 DP output I think.
With NVIDIA, you can use any output from any of the video cards. 3 cards, three DP outputs.

spons

Gold Member
Was looking at this combination of motherboard, CPU and GPU:

ASRock B85M Pro4
Intel Core i5 4590
MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC

Need some input on my thought process here. I've chosen a fairly odd B85 motherboard but frankly, it seems to be exactly what I need:

+ Single PCIe 3.0 x16 slot
+ Intel NIC
+ Reasonable on-board audio chip (ALC892)
+ Plenty of SATA3 and USB3 ports
+ mATX (personal preference, only going full ATX if there really isn't a viable option)
+ Inexpensive
- Needs a recent BIOS update for the Haswell refresh, I'll let the store update the thing for 15 bucks

I'm not going to use more than one GPU and I will not overclock my CPU (which is why I didn't go K) and RAM. This seems like an affordable choice for my use case, it's just the build quality I'm worried about. I've had ASRock in the past (way back with an Athlon XP 2200+, heh) and it worked fine then, I guess they can have only improved in the last decade. Any details I'm not seeing here?

Rest of the components I'll probably get:

PSU: CM G550M
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (could've gone ValueRAM or something, but these cost almost the same)
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 (either 120 GB or 240 GB)
HDD: WD Green 1 TB (scavenged from another box)
COOLER: Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2 (only if the boxed cooler is too noisy - Intel boxed coolers seem to be better than AMD's in that regard)
CASE: CM Silencio 352 (sound dampening and two fans pre-installed, everything seems to fit just fine)
OS: Windows 8.1 (upgrade from 8.0 - just let me convert my key already, Microsoft)

Recycling: keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor.
Budget: 800 euros, Holland
Main Use: 5 for gaming, I have a laptop for everything else really and I'm not doing any rendering so no 6 or 8 cores needed (?)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 on a somewhat older BenQ
Other: Aiming for 60 FPS at that resolution.
When will you build?: About now really, not waiting for new tech.
Will you be overclocking?: Absolutely not.

But the 4K panel isn't 144Hz.

With NVIDIA, you can use any output from any of the video cards. 3 cards, three DP outputs.

Yeah, I meant to edit my post to add a bit of clarification about that. I'm not really sure if its something I care about, where would one be able to find a demo? I've never actually seen 120+ where I have seen 4K at best buy and was impressed. Suppose they might have monitors up. Gsync is the most important thing though. Read 144 is very beneficial to general smoothness even without running games at 120+ so it's obviously something I need to look more into.

•Your Current Specs: i5 2500K/ 8Gb G.Skill Sniper/ AsRock Z68/ Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 / Thermaltake Purepower 600W / Silverstone RV02B/ Crucial M4 64Gb (for OS) and a couple of regular 1 TB HDs for data

•Budget: $1000 US

•Main Use: Light Gaming - 5, Gaming - 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 2, Video Editing - 1, Streaming games in HD - 3, 3D/Model work (and what program) - 1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 4.
•Monitor Resolution: 1600X1200 currently, would like to move away from that by buying a new monitor
•Are you going to upgrade later? Possibly
•Are you buying a new monitor? Yes, but will be using my old one in the meantime
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Any of the most recent MMOs (Elder Scrolls Online, Wildstar, etc.), basically PC exclusive things
•Is 30FPS acceptable? Yes 60? Yes 120? Would be nice
•How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not very
•Looking to reuse any parts?: Case, PSU if I can get away with it, the Crucial M4 (might get another SSD for OS, but this one will stay in there for random crap) the data HDs (cause who cares)
•When will you build?: Anytime
Do you have a deadline? No
•Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I meant to edit my post to add a bit of detail about that. I'm not really sure if its something I care about, where would one be able to find a demo?
You mean of the benefits of 144Hz? You wouldn't be able to tell on a 60Hz panel.

It improves the illusion of motion by having a a more fluid image and drastically reduces blur, especially with ULMB/Lightboost mode on.

60Hz
120Hz
120Hz w/ Lightboost

You mean of the benefits of 144Hz? You wouldn't be able to tell on a 60Hz panel.

It improves the illusion of motion by having a a more fluid image and drastically reduces blur, especially with ULMB/Lightboost mode on.

60Hz

120Hz

120Hz w/ Lightboost

Obviously you wouldn't be able to tell on a 60hz panel? I meant which stores would actually have 120+ monitors set up.

Josman

After a long time of buying parts, I'm finally building my first PC, here's how it looks:

CPU: *Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *Asus Z87M-Plus Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($126.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: *Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($91.76 @ NCIX US)
Storage: *Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Case: *Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: *Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($155.43 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: *Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Mouse: *Cooler Master Recon Wired Optical Mouse ($33.09 @ Amazon)
Other: Corsair MM200 extended mat ($30.00)

Am I good to go?

How is the keyboard? Which HDD to get? 2 TB WD green or WD Blue 1TB?
Will the Hyper 212 EVO be compatible with my case and motherboard?

I'll be buying a videocard once the 20nm Maxwell series release, I'll be dealing with the iGPU HD 4600, the purpose of this build is the Oculus rift so I don't mind waiting a year.

Oh and I need a PCI-E WiFi card, which to get for gaming? Wired is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom