• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I am literally going to die unless the skylake series has an 8 core CPU. If I have to wait another year for skylake-E or something I will implode in my chair.
I would start preparing my funeral if I were you. You don't want people playing the wrong music or something.

lmpaler

MX100....my word. I step out for a bit and don't keep up with the tech and now my Samsung SSD is a child's toy. It is so pretty. Must have, very soon

Willectro

Banned
So i bought a Corsair H80i. Didn't think it was that big, had to remove one of my window fans for the case to be able to close. I was wondering how accurate are the temp from corsair link?

Corsair Link is (unfortunately in my experience) complete garbage. Real Temp is great though.

Pachimari

How can I see if he is confirmed? It is this user (don't even know if I should share his profile) but there seemed to be many who were thanking him.

I have had my Windows installed for 2 months with no problem. It just now happened to tell me, that it was not genuine and removed my wallpaper and gave me a watermark in the corner reminding me it's not genuine.

Also, can somebody help me find a genuine one? I thought I had payed for a legal genuine copy.

Does it have to say "verified" or "no heatware profile" besides them?

Because, I'm ready to buy right about now.

I am literally going to die unless the skylake series has an 8 core CPU. If I have to wait another year for skylake-E or something I will implode in my chair.

Haswell processor gotta do me for like 2 years unless there's some pressing reason to upgrade sooner. Thank god I don't care about ubishit busywork simulators.

If we are super lucky Intel will bring Broadwell-E 8 core at 500$ tier at most.

Hmm, so in the earlier thread, I were referred to Reddit to buy my Windows 7 OS and I did just that. But now my Windows 7 tells me, that my product key is not a genuine one.

Have I been scammed?

I suspect those reddit sellers are reselling msdn licenses and/or dreamspark and so on, which they shouldn't be reselling. I wonder if MS are clamping down.

LilJoka

I suspect those reddit sellers are reselling msdn licenses and/or dreamspark and so on, which they shouldn't be reselling. I wonder if MS are clamping down.

MSDN keys will only get issues if more than, iirc, 10 PCs become activated with a single key. You can use an online PID checker to check if the key is a Retail or MSDN key.

Pachimari

I'm in Windows and have been using it since building my computer 2 months ago.

I'm using Home Premium Windows 7 yes.

How do I see if it offers phone activation?

LilJoka

I'm in Windows and have been using it since building my computer 2 months ago.

I'm using Home Premium Windows 7 yes.

How do I see if it offers phone activation?

Ah that sounds pretty dodgy to me, sounds like he may of sold this key to more than one person. Id contact the seller and see what he/she says.

Dries

I run it for about 10 minutes then bump it up.

Which test? And 10 minutes isn't enough I guess, because I ran Small FFT for 15 minutes. That passed, but I still got my error.

And I wouldn't mind some more input so I'm gonna ask again: Which Prime95 tests should I run and for how long?

Also, one more thing: I manually set my Vcore in my BIOS to 1.330V. But what does HWinfo tell me?

IPewqkT.jpg

Seems strange? Shouldn't it never get higher than 1.330V?

mkenyon

Banned
Worth getting this power supply?
Yeah.
Which test? And 10 minutes isn't enough I guess, because I ran Small FFT for 15 minutes. That passed, but I still got my error.

And I wouldn't mind some more input so I'm gonna ask again: Which Prime95 tests should I run and for how long?

Also, one more thing: I manually set my Vcore in my BIOS to 1.330V. But what does HWinfo tell me?

IPewqkT.jpg

Scroll up a bit to look at VCore in specific, rather than VID.

Small FFT is the test to run. He means that you run it in 10 minute intervals just to see if you get any quick errors. To really test, I'd leave it running overnight, at least 12 hours. Some people like to go longer, but that's been fine for me for years.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well my parts have started to arrive.

Gigabyte - z97x-soc force.
thermaltake 850w psu
coolermaster haf x
saphire R290x
samsung 256GB 840 ssd
seagate 2TB hybrid drive.
16GB of Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz.

I'm just waiting for my devil's canyon i7 (4790k) to arrive at the end of the month. While I was waiting on the proc I was researching cooling options.

mkenyon

Banned
Well my parts have started to arrive.

Gigabyte - z97x-soc force.
thermaltake 850w psu
coolermaster haf x

saphire R290x
samsung 256GB 840 ssd
seagate 2TB hybrid drive.
16GB of Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz.

I'm just waiting for my devil's canyon i7 (4790k) to arrive at the end of the month. While I was waiting on the proc I was researching cooling options.
I don't see those in the OP anywhere :p

Dries

Yeah.

Scroll up a bit to look at VCore in specific, rather than VID.

Small FFT is the test to run. He means that you run it in 10 minute intervals just to see if you get any quick errors. To really test, I'd leave it running overnight, at least 12 hours. Some people like to go longer, but that's been fine for me for years.

Thanks for the tip concerning Prime95.

But I scrolled further and indeed saw my Vcore at 1.308V. So that looks more normal. No idea what that Core #x VID is though.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the tip concerning Prime95.

But I scrolled further and indeed saw my Vcore at 1.308V. So that looks more normal. No idea what that Core #x VID is though.
VID is the amount of power that the board is supplying, as there is vdroop. VCore is the actual voltage received.

overburning

Neo Member
Hi all, I’m looking to upgrade my PC since the one I’m using now is getting old:

Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T / 8GB RAM / ASUS M4A89TD / AMD HD6870 / Cooler Master GX 750W / 4TB HDD
Budget: roughly $1500 AUS
Main Use: 5 for gaming; 4 for general usage; 3 for streaming; 2 for video editing; 1 for emulation; 0 for 3D/model work.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, not planning to upgrade.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I would like to be able to run newer games (those releasing this year - also looking at Witcher 3) in ultra 1080p but not sure if that’s realistic with my budget?
Looking to reuse any parts?: 8GB RAM / Cooler Master GX 750W / 4TB HDD / also mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers
When will you build?: Not in a hurry, probably before October when every game is coming out.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

I tried to come up with a build (from Haz’s build and Logical Increments) and can use some suggestions:

CPU: i5 4690k (if I can save up a bit more I may go i7) $285
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H $217
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 (reuse) - they are 1333, how much difference would 1866 make?
Graphics: I don’t know if I should go Nvidia or AMD. I play plenty of EA’s and Square Enix’s games so if Mantle works then I guess that favours AMD? I’m thinking about a R9-290 or a GTX 780 at the moment but I’m open to suggestion. $499-$559
SSD: not planning to get one unless I can save up
Storage: 2 x 2TB WD (reuse)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W (reuse) - is this enough to power this spec?
Case: I have no idea about the case, have been using an old office case forever with terrible cooling. Maybe a Corsair 500R? $155
Optical Drive: reusing old drive.
Heatsink: 212 EVO $37
Soundcard: onboard
Total: $1193

Also a question on the OS, can I use my old Windows? I’m planning to reformat the drive and re-install the OS if that’s possible. Sorry for all the questions as I’m pretty new to this PC building thing. Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Depends what you have now, what res, what games, how bad you want to upgrade / are you unhappy, how long you can wait, what's your budget.

The more info you give the more people can help you.
Current GPU: GTS 450 which I'd say is definitely due an upgrade.
Resolution:1080p, prefer 60fps if possible also.
Games: AAA titles for 2014/ 2015. Want to run current stuff like watch dogs, wolfenstein etc with some amount of hope at future titles like far cry 4, dragon age, witcher 3.
Looking to upgrade soon, this summer if possible.
Budget is in and around £200 (UK)
Interested in looking at and GPUs too, maybe the 280x?
Rest of my build is fairly similar to "great" list in op though I don't have cooling/ overclocking set up yet.
Hope that helps a bit, let me know if more info is needed for reccomendations.

LilJoka

IPewqkT.jpg

What CPU is it?

HWmonitor is just confusing things, use CPUz and it will tell you the VCore.

The VID is determined dynamically on the latest CPUs, it is solely dependant on the bios, CPU and Multiplier. Most likely a 0v offset will give you that Vcore with Load Line Calibration disabled, which will be about 1.28v probably after VDrop and Vdroop. 1.33v for 4.1Ghz just sounds like a lot to me is this is an i5 4670k. You should be able to do it close to stock voltage.

mkenyon

Banned
Current GPU: GTS 450 which I'd say is definitely due an upgrade.
Resolution:1080p, prefer 60fps if possible also.
Games: AAA titles for 2014/ 2015. Want to run current stuff like watch dogs, wolfenstein etc with some amount of hope at future titles like far cry 4, dragon age, witcher 3.
Looking to upgrade soon, this summer if possible.
Budget is in and around £200 (UK)
Interested in looking at and GPUs too, maybe the 280x?
Rest of my build is fairly similar to "great" list in op though I don't have cooling/ overclocking set up yet.
Hope that helps a bit, let me know if more info is needed for reccomendations.
Yeah, the 280x seems a good fit for what you're looking for.
Hi all, I’m looking to upgrade my PC since the one I’m using now is getting old:

Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T / 8GB RAM / ASUS M4A89TD / AMD HD6870 / Cooler Master GX 750W / 4TB HDD
Budget: roughly $1500 AUS
Main Use: 5 for gaming; 4 for general usage; 3 for streaming; 2 for video editing; 1 for emulation; 0 for 3D/model work.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, not planning to upgrade.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I would like to be able to run newer games (those releasing this year - also looking at Witcher 3) in ultra 1080p but not sure if that’s realistic with my budget?
Looking to reuse any parts?: 8GB RAM / Cooler Master GX 750W / 4TB HDD / also mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers
When will you build?: Not in a hurry, probably before October when every game is coming out.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

I tried to come up with a build (from Haz’s build and Logical Increments) and can use some suggestions:

CPU: i5 4690k (if I can save up a bit more I may go i7) $285
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H $217
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 (reuse) - they are 1333, how much difference would 1866 make?
Graphics: I don’t know if I should go Nvidia or AMD. I play plenty of EA’s and Square Enix’s games so if Mantle works then I guess that favours AMD? I’m thinking about a R9-290 or a GTX 780 at the moment but I’m open to suggestion. $499-$559
SSD: not planning to get one unless I can save up
Storage: 2 x 2TB WD (reuse)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W (reuse) - is this enough to power this spec?
Case: I have no idea about the case, have been using an old office case forever with terrible cooling. Maybe a Corsair 500R? $155
Optical Drive: reusing old drive.
Heatsink: 212 EVO $37
Soundcard: onboard
Total: $1193

Also a question on the OS, can I use my old Windows? I’m planning to reformat the drive and re-install the OS if that’s possible. Sorry for all the questions as I’m pretty new to this PC building thing. Would appreciate any help, thanks.
You should overclock your processor. It's a great boost in multiplayer games, and the only thing you need to pay for is a heatsink.

For AMD vs. NVIDIA, it comes down to whether or not you will use the NVIDIA features like Shadowplay and G-Sync. If not, then the 290 is a better buy than the 780. But they're both great cards.

Your PSU is plenty sufficient.

Check out the Phanteks Enthoo Pro from the OP. Check out the other cases listed there too. Those are all the best.

Faster RAM *might* make a difference in the same types of games where overclocking matters, which is more or less multiplayer games, Source engine, Blizzard games, UE3, strategy games, and some others.

Yes, you can reuse your windows key for the new build.

Azulsky

I would actually like to see what a performance dual core chip would look like. The freed up real estate from removing the extra cores and used instead for a more powerful pipeline. To try and get more single threaded performance.

Most chip space is used for interconnects and not functional units.

overburning

Neo Member
Yeah, the 280x seems a good fit for what you're looking for.

You should overclock your processor. It's a great boost in multiplayer games, and the only thing you need to pay for is a heatsink.

For AMD vs. NVIDIA, it comes down to whether or not you will use the NVIDIA features like Shadowplay and G-Sync. If not, then the 290 is a better buy than the 780. But they're both great cards.

Your PSU is plenty sufficient.

Check out the Phanteks Enthoo Pro from the OP. Check out the other cases listed there too. Those are all the best.

Faster RAM *might* make a difference in the same types of games where overclocking matters, which is more or less multiplayer games, Source engine, Blizzard games, UE3, strategy games, and some others.

Yes, you can reuse your windows key for the new build.

Thanks!

So that 212 EVO heatsink is all I need to overclock?

Ok. Another thing for the card, does it matter which brand to get? Would Gigabyte be a better choice since I'm getting a Gigabyte motherboard?

I will check out the cases, I'm planning to buy from MSY but unfourtunately they don't have a lot to choose from.

Interesting... the only games that matter to me in your list are strategy games, I may see how I go with my budget and see if I want to upgrade my RAM as well.

Smokey

Well men...the decision has been made...Core i7 2600k you have been a good soldier for me, a brother even. For 3 good years. But the time has come:

Got some white sleeved EVGA PSU cables coming tomorrow along with a Pro SLI 3-way bridge. Then it's time to build!

I'm ok with this. This board is top notch and with the 6 core 4930k I'll be good for a while. I do most of my changes on the GPU side, and I won't be limited with this board anytime soon. Haswell-E after sleeping on it...I'll let it marinate before hopping in. Kind of like SB-E -> Ivy-E.

Got it with a 2 year replacement plan from Microcenter...so if something goes wrong with it and they don't have this board in the future, which they probably won't, I'll get a gift card for what I paid and can use that for another board in the store. Either the ASUS Swift monitor or Asus 4k Gsync monitor is the only other PC purchase I'm making this year. IT'S A WRAP.

Goodbye PCIe 2.0 ;_;

Ryan1080

Neo Member
I'm looking to upgrade my monitor to 2560-1440. Does anyone have any experience over clocking the Nixeus vue27 in the OP to 120hz. Thanks

Well men...the decision has been made...Core i7 2600k you have been a good soldier for me, a brother even. For 3 good years. But the time has come:

Got some white sleeved EVGA PSU cables coming tomorrow along with a Pro SLI 3-way bridge. Then it's time to build!

I'm ok with this. This board is top notch and with the 6 core 4930k I'll be good for a while. I do most of my changes on the GPU side, and I won't be limited with this board anytime soon. Haswell-E after sleeping on it...I'll let it marinate before hopping in. Kind of like SB-E -> Ivy-E.

Got it with a 2 year replacement plan from Microcenter...so if something goes wrong with it and they don't have this board in the future, which they probably won't, I'll get a gift card for what I paid and can use that for another board in the store. Either the ASUS Swift monitor or Asus 4k Gsync monitor is the only other PC purchase I'm making this year. IT'S A WRAP.

Goodbye PCIe 2.0 ;_;

Grats Smokey and grats to whoever gets his mobo and cpu for cheap when Haswell-E comes out this fall. :)

b0bbyJ03

I've found the best time to sell GPUs is right before the new generation of cards launch. After that you'll still most likely be able to sell it, however naturally your pricing will be up against newer material and the value will be lower. I usually try and get 75%-80% of what I paid for the card. Worked out pretty well so far.

I'm just Nvidia for now. I like their software ecosystem and they're what I've always used. I did contemplate getting an AMD 295x2 before going with the Three Headed Titan Monster, but that's as far as I've gotten with switching teams.

So does that mean that you do without a card from the time you sell to when your new card arrives? I mean, if I could get that much back for mine I think it's worth it being without a card for a bit. Don't think I'd be able to handle more than two weeks without a working PC tho.

Jackpot

Banned
The time has come.

What could run a UE3 game no problem can only run Watch Dogs at 1 frame every 3 seconds. It's been a long time since I upgraded so I'm slightly out of the loop. What's a good retailer for the UK price-wise? I used dabs and sharkyextreme last time.

•Budget: UK. £400 is what I paid last time, anticipating having to go over.
•Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii), 5, Video Editing, 2, 3D/Model work 3, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback), 5.
•Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024. Would like to be future proofed for a 1440p resolution but opitonal.
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Watch_Dogs, Arma3, Wolfenstein, Daylight, GTAV. 30fps target
•Looking to reuse any parts?: 1TB hdd, Corsair TX 650w PSU.
•When will you build?: no deadline
•Will you be overclocking?: Yes, but longevity takes priority

Needs a case. I have serious dust buildup in my current room.

No other peripherals like network card, dvd drive, etc needed.

Longevity is the priority. I would like this to last for the lion's share of this generation.

Value for money is another priority, so no buying the best GPU when a close competitor is there for a significant price drop.

Would prefer Nvidia & Intel brands unless there's a real performance/price justification.

Thks.

mkenyon

Banned
Grats Smokey and grats to whoever gets his mobo and cpu for cheap when Haswell-E comes out this fall. :)
Dibs.
So does that mean that you do without a card from the time you sell to when your new card arrives? I mean, if I could get that much back for mine I think it's worth it being without a card for a bit. Don't think I'd be able to handle more than two weeks without a working PC tho.
Nah, buy the new one, then sell the old ones. Recoup costs.

Smokey

What are we going to tease you about now?

Rip pcie2.0

I'm sure there will be something. Haz will figure it out lol

I really dont think so. CPUs don't get me all bothered like GPUs. I've been rocking Z68 for ever and I only switched to that from P67 because of a board issue.

No. Put them up for sale shortly before purchasing New cards. I just sold my second and final 780Ti last night, but I've had my Titans for a few weeks.

b0bbyJ03

No. Put them up for sale shortly before purchasing New cards. I just sold my second and final 780Ti last night, but I've had my Titans for a few weeks.

Even better :)

I was probably gonna go AMD next round (390x) but this whole thing Nvidia has been doing with gameworks is kinda scaring me. My boy gets terrible watch dogs performance with his 290.

Smokey

Even better :)

I was probably gonna go AMD next round (390x) but this whole thing Nvidia has been doing with gameworks is kinda scaring me. My boy gets terrible watch dogs performance with his 290.

Eh Watch Dogs needs a patch whether you have Nvidia or AMD. The Gameworks thought is a valid concern.

Sullichin

Guys. Talk me out of this. Thinking of getting an R90X. One that doesn't have the shitty reference cooler.

Running HD7950 and it's FINE, I guess. I only play in 1080p but I'd like to downsample more and use higher settings in the few games I have to make compromises for- notably I want to be able to use the better forms of AA. And id imagine it's a better future proofed card than what I have.

I'd need another PSU as well, I think, because mine's only 650w.

Kenka

I need a mkenyon seal of approval on the following :

Your Current Specs: Intel Core i3-2100 / 4GB RAM / ASUS P8P67 LE / GTX 560 Ti / Seasonic 500W / 1TB HDD
Budget: roughly $1200 CHF
Main Use: 1 for gaming; 2 for emulation (if possible WiiU as well)
Monitor Resolution: 3440*1440 Ultra Wide
SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Witcher 3 in Ultra @ 3440*1440 and any other game that will come out thereafter
Looking to reuse any parts?: mouse, keyboard, speakers, no hardware outside these
When will you build?: probably in January 2015
Will you be overclocking?: No.

My suggestion (I estimate that three times the increase in GPU power is worth an upgrade) :

CPU: i5 3570 $207
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4-M $127
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 $90
Graphics: ZOTAC GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 x2 $650
SSD: MX100 256 GB $100
Storage: 1TB (reuse)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W $150
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 (thanks !) $100
Optical Drive: nope
Heatsink: nope
Soundcard: nope

Total: $1374

mkenyon

Banned
Are you selling the old parts? The PSU, for example, could be brought over.

Goin for my daily run tho, I'll post again when I get back :p
Guys. Talk me out of this. Thinking of getting an R90X. One that doesn't have the shitty reference cooler.

Running HD7950 and it's FINE, I guess. I only play in 1080p but I'd like to downsample more and use higher settings in the few games I have to make compromises for- notably I want to be able to use the better forms of AA. And id imagine it's a better future proofed card than what I have.

I'd need another PSU as well, I think, because mine's only 650w.
I went from a 7970 to a 290, and even then the difference is noticeable. A few games I wasn't able to keep at 120 FPS now stay there.

Your PSU is good.

Kenka

Are you selling the old parts? The PSU, for example, could be brought over.

Goin for my daily run tho, I'll post again when I get back :p

I went from a 7970 to a 290, and even then the difference is noticeable. A few games I wasn't able to keep at 120 FPS now stay there.

Your PSU is good.
Thanks ! Yes, I plan on selling my old rig altogether. I am not a big fan of my Cooler Master CM690III anymore and I really want to aim for a small factor gaming rig. If the next generation of nVidia GPUs are noticeably better than the 700s series, I would even go for a single GPU setup in order to fit everything in an EVGA Hadron Air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom