• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayant

Thank you for the replies.

I've put in a new case but I feel that ATX would be better than mATX because it would be easier to build into a bigger case. I've removed the case fan and worked out that I had to remove the DDR3 RAM to get DDR4 compatible boards. I found a PSU tier list a couple of pages back and used it to pick out a new PSU. It's from tier one on that list.

This is what I have now:

Looks good just keep in mind that CPU cooler is not the easiest to work with -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0NxRyfhwmY&ab_channel=GamersNexus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIx0JFEyLuQ&ab_channel=LinusTechTips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_5L0Zq298&ab_channel=HiTechLegion

Evo X

Supposedly, the Swiftech H220-X is the current best AIO. Personally, it's too showy for me so I am going to try the new Corsair H110i GTX. Unfortunately, now reviews for it so far.

Seeing how CPU performance advancement is at a snails pace, I would expect a 5960x for be good for many years. Definitely, in a few years, I will jump onto the 10-16 cores.

The only thing holding me back from ordering an AIO cooling solution is user reviews on newegg and amazon complaining about pumps failing, being super loud, or piping leaking.

A high quality air setup will never have those problems. I've had a Hyper 212 on my 4.7Ghz Sandy Bridge for over 4 years now, and it's still running great.

knitoe

Is there a new GTX? Not the H110i GT? Well there's a H110i GT review here

Yes. They are different. GTX just came out. The CPU blocks are different between the two.

H110i GTX
7797EFE589304BB69DCAE2473DDCBC8F.ashx

H110i GT
E38C3C85F30E4129A059E339F942AB91.ashx

The only thing holding me back from ordering an AIO cooling solution is user reviews on newegg and amazon complaining about pumps failing, being super loud, or piping leaking.

A high quality air setup will never have those problems. I've had a Hyper 212 on my 4.7Ghz Sandy Bridge for over 4 years now, and it's still running great.

01_top_sh_r1-ultimate.jpg

I am using a huge air cooler CRYORIG R1 Ultimate. It keeps my 5930K@4.4GHz under 75C. Since I am always messing around with the PC, nothing much for me to do other then improve looks with a AIO. And, yeah, AIO looks better, but you run into the problems you listed.

Evo X

I am using a huge air cooler CRYORIG R1 Ultimate. It keeps my 5930K@4.4GHz under 75C. Since I am always messing around the PC, moving onto the AIO for pretty much looks.

That CRYORIG is exactly the air cooler I was looking to get. From what I've read, it's got great performance, looks, and quality. Would you agree?

Do you have any pics of it installed in your build? Wondering exactly how large it is and if there will be issues with motherboards and ram clearance.

Also, let me know which AIO you decide to go with. I've never dabbled in liquid cooling before.

LilJoka

Cryorig is much better than getting an AIO.

Still don't understand why an air cooler makes it hard to tinker. Unless you tinker with 8pin and 24pin cables or RAM.

OraleeWey

I just got the H110, not the H110i or H110i GT/X, just the H110 and it keeps my i7 4790k at 120f (48c) @ 4.0ghz while on load. I also don't hear any sounds coming from it... I can barely tell it is there. I did replace the stock fans, however, and I am using a fan controller.

LordAlu

On PCpartpicker I am getting the following message:

– Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard has onboard USB 3.0 headers, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

I am thinking of upgrading my Asus P8Z68-V to the above motherboard. Does this mean they won't fit and I need a new case?

Argh! I'd have been as well buying a whole new PC than trying to upgrade my own piece by piece!
The standard HAF 912 and HAF 912 Plus cases are pretty old and do not have front USB3.0 ports - they only have front USB2.0 ports. This isn't a problem unless you want front USB3.0 ports - the motherboard you've chosen will fit and has connections for front USB2.0. PCPartPicker is just warning you that the motherboard has front USB3.0 support but your case doesn't.

mitchlol

GAF I need a 27" 1080p monitor and I don't know what one to buy.... I don't want to pay heaps so G-Sync is out of the question, realistically I only want to spend like $300 (Australian) max... I'm going to be using it for PC and I will be connecting my PS4 to it. Will need a headphone jack so I can get audio for the PS4. I do not have/use speakers. Anyone got a suggestion?

harz-marz

The standard HAF 912 and HAF 912 Plus cases are pretty old and do not have front USB3.0 ports - they only have front USB2.0 ports. This isn't a problem unless you want front USB3.0 ports - the motherboard you've chosen will fit and has connections for front USB2.0. PCPartPicker is just warning you that the motherboard has front USB3.0 support but your case doesn't.

Ahhh thanks. Is it worth buying a new case? The only thing I would connect via front usb would be the 360 controller.

LordAlu

Ahhh thanks. Is it worth buying a new case? The only thing I would connect via front usb would be the 360 controller.
Nah, not for that. Your case is fine as it is - it would only be worth buying a new one if you either really needed front USB3.0, your components didn't fit, or you didn't like the aesthetics! :D

knitoe

That CRYORIG is exactly the air cooler I was looking to get. From what I've read, it's got great performance, looks, and quality. Would you agree?

Do you have any pics of it installed in your build? Wondering exactly how large it is and if there will be issues with motherboards and ram clearance.

Also, let me know which AIO you decide to go with. I've never dabbled in liquid cooling before.
epAmKG1.jpg

Yes. The CRYORIG has been great. As long as you go with low profile ram, there won't be any issues.

I have the Corsair H110i GTX on the way. I don't plan to put it in until the Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD arrives too.

Skii

Thanks. I'd have loved to put one of the Samsung 951 drives in but as I was using the 980 I didn't have the budget room as they're significantly more expensive.

In all honesty I must admit that originally I did have a GTX 970 in there, which would still do well for 1440p at a decent framerate, but I opted for the 980 to give it that little extra oomph. From your advice regarding the 970 and having read up a little bit more on some other people's personal experiences with 1440p, I agree it would be the better choice.

Assuming Skii bought Windows from Reddit, I'd switch a few things round like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£185.99 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.95 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£117.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£55.78 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£55.78 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£119.10 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (£256.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.00 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (£20.00)
Monitor: AOC Q2778VQE 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£233.50 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1211.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-09 09:04 BST+0100

Changes:
  • Upgraded motherboard to the ASUS Z170-A.
  • Now at 16GB DDR4 memory. I've used 4 x 4GB sticks - it would be better to go for 2 x 8GB sticks, but at the preferred speed of 3000MHz there's not much out there except G.Skill (which might interfere with the cooler), and the Corsair LPX ones aren't available yet.
  • Shiny fast Samsung 256GB SSD instead of the slower Crucial 120GB.
  • GTX 970 instead of GTX 980.
  • NZXT S340 case instead of Corsair 200R. Seems it was only £5 more :D
  • Windows cost reduced to £20.

This build looks great! Thanks for putting it together.

I don't mind getting a Windows 8/10 key off Reddit as long as those sold by US distributors work in the UK?

Also, I don't mind going for the GTX 970, save a bit of money and wait for Pascal next year. But is the MSI one better than ASUS? I just saw this advice as well for someone making a similar build to me:

Recommend the MSI GTX 970 instead of Asus, better power delivery circuitry, and also has excellent cooling. Plus MSI and Gigabyte 970's overclock the best.

Do you know if buying the GTX 970 off Amazon makes me eligible for the free MGS 5 promotion?

Finally, do you think it's wise to just go with a cheaper 1080p display for now as I ideally want to upgrade to a G-sync monitor sometime next year? Could you recommend me one if you don't mind :p

Thanks again for the help!

Man, just looking at everyone and their shiny new cpu purchases. Can't wait for the day when I finally need to upgrade from this i5-3570k, but this bad boy simply refuses to give up.

So apparently my Alt-Tabbing issue is actually the display driver crashing and I have no idea how to fix it after an hour long googling session.

Ok so what happens is the first game I start after a reboot always without fail will cause the display driver crash, but it doesn't happen again until I reboot the PC and start a game.
Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Well shit it seems this thread is at the end of its life.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GAF I need a 27" 1080p monitor and I don't know what one to buy.... I don't want to pay heaps so G-Sync is out of the question, realistically I only want to spend like $300 (Australian) max... I'm going to be using it for PC and I will be connecting my PS4 to it. Will need a headphone jack so I can get audio for the PS4. I do not have/use speakers. Anyone got a suggestion?

in before everyone tells you 1080p looks ugly that size and to buy a 1440p monitor outside of your budget :p

I had a benq 2760hm and was happy with it. VA panel so blacks were great, and it had HDMI, DVI and VGA input, so I could hook up my gaming PC, work laptop, and PS3. Built in speaker weren't great but good enough, and it had a headphone socket.

Celcius

°Temp. member
When is the Pascal Titan supposed to release, sometime next year?
That's the card that I'm really interested in...

LordAlu

This build looks great! Thanks for putting it together.

I don't mind getting a Windows 8/10 key off Reddit as long as those sold by US distributors work in the UK?

Also, I don't mind going for the GTX 970, save a bit of money and wait for Pascal next year. But is the MSI one better than ASUS? I just saw this advice as well for someone making a similar build to me:

Do you know if buying the GTX 970 off Amazon makes me eligible for the free MGS 5 promotion?

Finally, do you think it's wise to just go with a cheaper 1080p display for now as I ideally want to upgrade to a G-sync monitor sometime next year? Could you recommend me one if you don't mind :p

Thanks again for the help!
The Windows keys will work in the UK, no problem there :)

Regarding the 970, I can only give you anecdotal evidence. We get a lot of MSI RMAs for their graphics cards, much more than ASUS and EVGA (although we don't sell much EVGA in the first place), with only Gigabyte being slightly above average. Don't take it as gospel however, there are a lot of people out there with perfectly functioning MSI cards and no doubt faulty ASUS ones. Just from what I hear from our Tech dept is all.

I don't believe Amazon are taking part in the NVIDIA promotion - it doesn't seem to appear anywhere on their website. If you find somewhere else selling it for a couple of quid more that are part of the promotion it might be best to purchase it from there.

If you're planning on a G-Sync capable display next year (and are serious about it) then buying a 1440p monitor now is a bit of a waste of money. A 24" 1080p one would be a better choice for now - unfortunately I'm really not an expert on monitors - it's kind of a personal thing, so I'd recommend heading checking them out first if you can.

LilJoka

MSI GTX 970 is £268 at scan.co.uk atm. Can get free delivery next day if you have 20 posts at hexus forums too.
Includes the MGS V promo as well.

Evo X

epAmKG1.jpg

Yes. The CRYORIG has been great. As long as you go with low profile ram, there won't be any issues.

I have the Corsair H110i GTX on the way. I don't plan to put it in until the Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD arrives too.

Nice rig. That case looks really good from an airflow and cable management perspective.

The CRYORIG dominates the whole motherboard. Which ram are you using?

You planning on installing the OS to the M.2 SSD? If so, let me know how that goes. Considering doing the same if it's not a hassle, and the speed is worth it over a SATA 3 SSD.

Is it pretty uncommon for mobos to have built in wifi? I'm thinking about building a new PC with skylake, and it looks like there's only two LGA 1151 socket mobos with wifi.

RGM79

Is it pretty uncommon for mobos to have built in wifi? I'm thinking about building a new PC with skylake, and it looks like there's only two LGA 1151 socket mobos with wifi.

Wifi is usually something built in on mITX motherboards or the higher end ATX motherboards.

You could always just get a PCI-E or USB wifi adaptor.

No. This is usually a feature of more premium priced mother boards. The thinking is that if you are building a desktop, you are all about performance including the more reliable and less latency wired connection.

Wifi is usually something built in on mITX motherboards or the higher end ATX motherboards.

You could always just get a PCI-E or USB wifi adaptor.

No. This is usually a feature of more premium priced mother boards. The thinking is that if you are building a desktop, you are all about performance including the more reliable and less latency wired connection.

Thanks! I had assumed that it was a pretty mainstream feature that most boards would have, but that makes sense. I was wanting to avoid getting a USB adapter because I've experienced wonky driver support with those, but I forgot I could get a PCI-E adapter! That's probably the route I'll be going.

Smokey

I disagree but only with the caveat that a custom loop can be very clean provided you put the time into it.

If you are using your standard tubing than yes you can have tubing flopping around all over the place, but with proper routing everything can be nice and tidy. Now if you go the route of acrylic tubing you can get some gorgeous loops that are really clean but that really requires a decent amount of planning and work. I plan to go acrylic for my next build and know it will require a good amount of work but I hope it pays off.

I was tqlking about AIO vs standard air coolers. I agree with everything you said.

Smokey

Due to the new layout of my new spot, im having to use the Wifi AC adapter that came with my Rampage IV BE. Was testing earlier and im getting 105Mb+/11Mb+ over wifi. Prettay good.

Crisium

My laptop I bought over 3 years ago has 16GB. I just build a X99 DDR4 desktop and went with 16GB and should be fine for another 3+ years. I've never seen such RAM stability before ever. Those that build 8GB builds even longer ago are still running them too... although that fills up with multitasking rather quickly it still is acceptable. But still, RAM consumption has slowed down and it pleases me.

Building new pc after 6 years.

What's the difference between these two cards?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127844
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127843

The specifications appear identical except for the "Features" category. The red one is about $15 more and it has LEDs? That doesn't seem worth an extra $15.

The red has higher boost clocks when in OC mode (hence the GAMING name) It also seems to have more heat pipes (you can see them on the top). I'd wager if you want to manually overclock more beyond factory it will go a bit further too, but YMMV and you should compare other users' max clocks.

Make sure you get a 4GB card either way. There are also 4GB Radeon 380 cards that are comparable, perhaps slightly faster overall while drawing a bit more power. Whichever camp, do not buy 2GB. Do not.

kennah

Keep 5930 or gp skylake? I don't have a motherboard yet, and I'm going itx, so would save a significant amount of coin.

But that 6 core.

Probably going to keep it.

KorrZ

GAF! I need your help.

Currently I'm using a GTX 770 2GB - which has held up pretty well but I can't quite max things out anymore (Witcher 3 is a mix of Ultra and High and I can't maintain a solid 60 at 1080P)

If I'm interested in just being able to max games out at 1080P/60 for the foreseeable future, should I invest in a 980? I'm looking at this card: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH2D5DC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Due to the new layout of my new spot, im having to use the Wifi AC adapter that came with my Rampage IV BE. Was testing earlier and im getting 105Mb+/11Mb+ over wifi. Prettay good.

I'm getting the Asus Z170 Deluxe, which comes with wi-fi. I'll probably never use it, but it's nice to know if I ever have to move my desktop to a place without a wired connection, I'll be set. That said, I played Burning Crusade and Lich King on wifi laptop and those were some latency filled days. Nothing like wi-fi going out in the middle of a raid.

Vuze

GAF! I need your help.

Currently I'm using a GTX 770 2GB - which has held up pretty well but I can't quite max things out anymore (Witcher 3 is a mix of Ultra and High and I can't maintain a solid 60 at 1080P)

If I'm interested in just being able to max games out at 1080P/60 for the foreseeable future, should I invest in a 980? I'm looking at this card: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH2D5DC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It's either 970 or 980 Ti. General consensus is the performance difference between 970 and 980 isn't worth the substantial price difference while the 980 Ti almost reaches Titan X levels of gaming performance for far less.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The red has higher boost clocks when in OC mode (hence the GAMING name) It also seems to have more heat pipes (you can see them on the top). I'd wager if you want to manually overclock more beyond factory it will go a bit further too, but YMMV and you should compare other users' max clocks.

Make sure you get a 4GB card either way. There are also 4GB Radeon 380 cards that are comparable, perhaps slightly faster overall while drawing a bit more power. Whichever camp, do not buy 2GB. Do not.

I see. I think I will go with this EVGA 960 4GB one, then.

It has a slightly faster core clock than a similar MSI 960 4GB card. And the $20 rebate is nice. Can't afford a 970 at the moment. Not going Radeon either because I'm trying to take advantage of the MGSV deal, so Nvidia actually becomes slightly cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom