• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to those who have played games at 144fps, is it hard to go back to 60fps?

I want to upgrade to a 144hz monitor but I don't want 60fps to look bad(it's very smooth for me right now).

No it's not hard to go back because 60fps is still a smooth experience. Personally above 90-100hz I
Don't notice a difference. I just know it's very smooth.

I guess if you play competitive or twitch type games then you might notice a difference in input latency

luffeN

Question to those who have played games at 144fps, is it hard to go back to 60fps?

I want to upgrade to a 144hz monitor but I don't want 60fps to look bad(it's very smooth for me right now).

The only problem I have with having played on a 144hz monitor for quite some time is that it is really awful going back to a 60hz monitor, but only a monitor. A TV or projector is fine.

was looking at some sites/videos about the MSI Z270 SLI Plus motherboard (the one I'm going to be going with) and the BIOS version has me really confused

their naming scheme on it is E7A59IMS then the last three numbers are the version, so .010, .020, etc

the most current version on MSI's site is 1.4 (or .140) but the date (12/29) doesn't match any of the videos/pictures of the BIOS

a video on Youtube shows the BIOS as E7A59IMS.141 from 12/14
pictures on a review show the BIOS as E7A59IMS.140 from 12/15 (an older BIOS but made a day later?)

any idea what's going on with that?

Weevilone

Looking for some good GAF advice with my current pc build.

I run a nvidia msi gaming gtx980ti card in my current system. It works really well but after an hour or so of gaming it either starts flickering green squares on the screen or just causes the game to crash. I have the core clock overclocked by +100mhz and the memory overclocked by +250mhz. Any idea what I might have to adjust for it to behave?

Also I run a lot of my games on a 4k tv. Framerates are okay but I am tempted to go ahead and upgrade to the 1080 card. For those who have, does it make sense to go from the 980ti to the 180? Would like some thoughts on that.

I'd back off the overclock and see what happens.

Upgrading to a 1080 would be a very mild improvement. This late into the product cycle, I'd hold off for sure.

Sounds like it's overheating. What's the temperature of your gpu when it starts doing that?

I'd back off the overclock and see what happens.

Upgrading to a 1080 would be a very mild improvement. This late into the product cycle, I'd hold off for sure.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to back off the overclock a bit and see what happens. It usually is around 85 degrees when playing on the tv so maybe it is getting throttled or something.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to back off the overclock a bit and see what happens. It usually is around 85 degrees when playing on the tv so maybe it is getting throttled or something.

Yeah 85 is very high and those cards do throttle at high temps. You should back off the overclock and make sure your pc is clean and there's enough cool air being supplied. Those are pretty high temps for an aftermarket cooler.

Your 980ti is a powerful card. Wait for the 1080ti or the next gen of cards. Unless you want to upgrade every gen which is very expensive

Alastor3

I have a question before I change my video card.

Here is my old current rig:

2.80 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QL PRO Rev 1.xx
4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory DDR2
500.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Do you need other informations?

My cousin gave me his old graphic card (a GeForce GTX 550 Ti) which is already better than what I have (I could finally run locked directX11 games) but I wanted to be sure my parts fit with the graphic card because I know it use more electricity than my old one.

I used a website to see what difference in power consumption was :

Power Consumption (Max TDP)

Old > GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 105 Watts
New > GeForce GTX 550 Ti 116 Watts

I have no idea if it's a lot or not to do any damage.
Sorry if im noob.

Im planning on putting my current PC into a new case and want to do a reformat while I'm at it. The question I have is how does this work with a OEM Windows7 disc when I already upgraded to the free Win10 offer?

dcx4610

I ended up getting the Asus PG279Q monitor since the 4k ones are going to be so expensive and it's a great display but I think I messed up going 1440p.

Everything just seems to be designed around 1080p. Everything is too small in Windows 10 to me with 1440p and if you scale, things get blurry in certain applications or sections of Windows that don't support it. Games work well and look great at 1440p but the performance hit is huge over 1080p and I'm not sure if the hit is worth the increase in resolution. Also, running everything older at 1080p or using a console that only supports 1080p looks blurry since it's not native.

I guess if all you do is game on your PC then 1440p is fine but I use my PC for everything and I don't think it was such a good decision. I'll hold on to it until 4k monitors get cheap and since 1080 multiplies into 2160 evenly, scaling and 1080p content shouldn't be an issue.

dcx4610

Im planning on putting my current PC into a new case and want to do a reformat while I'm at it. The question I have is how does this work with a OEM Windows7 disc when I already upgraded to the free Win10 offer?

Download the Windows 10 Boot Disk Creator and make one with a Flash Drive. There's no point in reformatting with Windows 7 and then doing the 10 upgrade after. When you upgraded to Windows 10, it binds itself to you motherboard's BIOS and won't ask you for a serial or anything.

Mystic654

As long as you don't replace your motherboard. when installing Windows 10, Once you get to the input key screen. Leave is blank and just hit next & select the correct version. Windows 10 will do the rest for you.

Make sure you download the latest image file of Windows 10 from Microsoft. You don't need to re-install Windows 7.

dcx4610

I have a question before I change my video card.

Here is my old current rig:

2.80 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QL PRO Rev 1.xx
4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory DDR2
500.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Do you need other informations?

My cousin gave me his old graphic card (a GeForce GTX 550 Ti) which is already better than what I have (I could finally run locked directX11 games) but I wanted to be sure my parts fit with the graphic card because I know it use more electricity than my old one.

I used a website to see what difference in power consumption was :

Power Consumption (Max TDP)

Old > GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 105 Watts
New > GeForce GTX 550 Ti 116 Watts

I have no idea if it's a lot or not to do any damage.
Sorry if im noob.

What you posted doesn't really pertain to the graphics card. All that matters is if you have the proper slot for it to fit on your motherboard and if you power supply has enough wattage. Going from 105 to 116 watts negligible. Unless you have a really low powered power supply, you'll be fine.

Alastor3

What you posted doesn't really pertain to the graphics card. All that matters is if you have the proper slot for it to fit on your motherboard and if you power supply has enough wattage. Going from 105 to 116 watts negligible. Unless you have a really low powered power supply, you'll be fine.

thanks

Jamaro85

Edit #2: Finally got it on, and it was a b***h figuring out. Now that I've got it figured out I could whip through it with ease, but the learning curve was ridiculous. I'd say it was more trouble than it was worth but this cooler seems to be the best bang for the buck so I won't go that far. Hopefully this lives up to its reputation.

Really struggling with this CRYORIG H7 install. I do not understand how you can hold this huge thing in place with one hand while lifting the motherboard with the other, then having to balance the standing motherboard while trying to get the screws in. I really have to be missing something here because this does not seem like a logical process to me, yet YT videos make it look so easy.

Edit: I'm able to decently hold the H7 in place while flipping the motherboard up now, but it seems like I'm handicapped by two issues:

1) The bracket of the H7 that the screws go into is crooked/curved up on one end. The cooler will sit on three of the screws but the fourth will not reach at all. (Back right in the picture)

xqa2KN6.jpg

2) This would probably be an issue with any motherboard, but the three screws holding down the CPU bracket make it difficult to sit the backplate flush on the mobo, or at least make it steady.

Issue #2 could possibly be a non-issue if the H7 bracket wasn't crooked and I could get all four screws to meet the H7 bracket. Thinking about exchanging this H7 for another.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Man, all this talk about Ryzen makes me want to do a rebuild. I'm still mostly content with my OCed 4790k but I've been wanting some new parts for a while now.

Smokey

Man, all this talk about Ryzen makes me want to do a rebuild. I'm still mostly content with my OCed 4790k but I've been wanting some new parts for a while now.

Same here. Really hoping they deliver. Intel needs some competition. We need competition.

Weevilone

2) This would probably be an issue with any motherboard, but the three screws holding down the CPU bracket make it difficult to sit the backplate flush on the mobo, or at least make it steady.

Issue #2 could possibly be a non-issue if the H7 bracket wasn't crooked and I could get all four screws to meet the H7 bracket. Thinking about exchanging this H7 for another.

Are you sure the backplate is on properly? I don't have that cooler, but with my Noctua there are cutouts for those screws on back, so as not to interfere. Perhaps yours has some other means of avoiding the screws but it's not on properly?

Jamaro85

Are you sure the backplate is on properly? I don't have that cooler, but with my Noctua there are cutouts for those screws on back, so as not to interfere. Perhaps yours has some other means of avoiding the screws but it's not on properly?

Yeah I am bugging - the holes in the backplate align perfectly with the CPU bracket screws and it sits flush. Seriously no idea what was going on before when I was trying it out.

Gonna give this another try because I really want this thing to work

Edit: Yeah we're good, was able to post, motherboard and PSU are in the case, annnnd I can finally eat/sleep.

LilJoka

Looking for some good GAF advice with my current pc build.

I run a nvidia msi gaming gtx980ti card in my current system. It works really well but after an hour or so of gaming it either starts flickering green squares on the screen or just causes the game to crash. I have the core clock overclocked by +100mhz and the memory overclocked by +250mhz. Any idea what I might have to adjust for it to behave?

Also I run a lot of my games on a 4k tv. Framerates are okay but I am tempted to go ahead and upgrade to the 1080 card. For those who have, does it make sense to go from the 980ti to the 180? Would like some thoughts on that.

Flickering green squares are from GPU memory OC or in combination with vram chips too hot.

Unless you are happy with 4k30, wait for next gen. Play games at 1440p in the meantime.

So I just upgraded my monitor to one that can up to 1080p 60Hz and everything looks great. I'm only having one problem: For some reason when I play Portal 2, and once I'm done and exit out to the desktop, it crashes my whole PC. It will be a black screen and I have to reset my PC. No other game does this and it only did that when I moved the resolution up to 1080p for Portal 2 when I got my new monitor. Is there a fix for this? I installed it and reinstalled it, but it still happens.

FFMafia

Now that EVGA released the ICX upgraded cards, and they are being touted as premium versions of the ACX, with slightly boosted base clocks, is this a good time to buy if interested in let's say the 1070 FTW2? or NVidia's next release, is it imminent?

So I just upgraded my monitor to one that can up to 1080p 60Hz and everything looks great. I'm only having one problem: For some reason when I play Portal 2, and once I'm done and exit out to the desktop, it crashes my whole PC. It will be a black screen and I have to reset my PC. No other game does this and it only did that when I moved the resolution up to 1080p for Portal 2 when I got my new monitor. Is there a fix for this? I installed it and reinstalled it, but it still happens.

Is your desktop set to 1080p 60hz as well?

Necrovex

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/263695

great deal for people that want a pre-built desktop. only good parts and brand parts. don't you agree? I am really thinking about getting this,but I will wait for the Ryzen I guess

I saw that earlier, and I've been flirting with biting the bullet. I also realize it may be cheaper to wait until the Ryzen releases and see if I want it and how it influences the other prices for the i5 and i7.

Weevilone

Now that EVGA released the ICX upgraded cards, and they are being touted as premium versions of the ACX, with slightly boosted base clocks, is this a good time to buy if interested in let's say the 1070 FTW2? or NVidia's next release, is it imminent?

People have been coming up with logic for why the 1080ti should be released "soon" for months. Nobody knows.

rrs

honestly, I just wonder if the 1080ti is being saved to counter vega at this point
eh I'd wait for AMD to show off the vega line as a 1080ti isn't going to drop prices across the line. As for card models, you could easily OC to oem boost levels off one of the 1+base model and if you really need anything beyond that you'd either go hybrid or buy a big ass aftermarket cooler

Weevilone

lol nice. Is the ftw just worth it for overclocking over the superclocked versions?

I own one and would say no. The custom PCB is theoretically the reason for better overclocking on the FTW or Classified cards, but it didn't really pan out with the 1080/1070s. Noise aside, the Founders cards did just as well.

Main reason to get a FTW is for the dual BIOS feature imo.

dcx4610

For those of you with a 1440p display, do you scale the image to 125% in Windows 10? I'm having a really tough time adjusting to everything being so small. Adjusting to 125% makes it look proper but certain applications and parts of Windows don't support scaling and everything blurry.

I'm just trying to decide if I should force myself to get used to everything being smaller or just deal with the blurriness.

Hey, y'all. I was wondering what do you guys use to manage your audio if you have multiple sound sources (desktop, PS4, Xbox One, etc.)?

Currently, the monitor I have them all plugged into via HDMI has an 3.5mm audio out, which I've connected to my 2.1 speakers.

However, I'm looking to upgrade this monitor, and I don't see many monitors with 3.5mm audio out jacks anymore.

What do you guys do in this case?

EDIT: Found what I was looking for. A home theater receiver.

I own one and would say no. The custom PCB is theoretically the reason for better overclocking on the FTW or Classified cards, but it didn't really pan out with the 1080/1070s. Noise aside, the Founders cards did just as well.

I was very disappointed with the cooler on my 1080 FE. I couldn't even mildly overclock the card cause of heat. I'm sure it would have been fine but the FE stock bios throttles the card pretty aggressively if you get around 70degrees, which you easily do with that cooler. Now I have a water block on it so my temps are in the 40's low 50's and I'm able to get 2050mhz with a mild overclock and I could probably push it more but I don't think it's possible with the stock bios.

Long story short, I would suggest not getting an FE card for overclocking

Here's a fun one: I just purchased a second GTX 1070 to go with my LG B6, and I get pretty much perfect 100% performance scaling up to 1440P but above that it's maybe 10-20%. Is it really that bad with the non-pro SLI bridge? Haven't been able to find much data with newer titles regarding this. Got one coming but it's a week off.

For example Watch Dogs 2 runs like 70-80FPS maxed at 1440P but gives dodgy mid 20s at 4K. Which is WTF worthy, would expect just under 60. And no setting change fixes it.

Weevilone

I was very disappointed with the cooler on my 1080 FE. I couldn't even mildly overclock the card cause of heat. I'm sure it would have been fine but the FE stock bios throttles the card pretty aggressively if you get around 70degrees, which you easily do with that cooler. Now I have a water block on it so my temps are in the 40's low 50's and I'm able to get 2050mhz with a mild overclock and I could probably push it more but I don't think it's possible with the stock bios.

Long story short, I would suggest not getting an FE card for overclocking

I wasn't advocating the purchase of an FE, simply stating that purchasing the FTW for some magical overclocking headroom over the FE isn't wise. I did not share your FE experience and gained nothing moving to the FTW other than a bit less noise and dual BIOS.

In the past FTW opened up the ability to push extra power to yhe card but it doesn't seem to matter with 1080.

I'm swapping my Swiftech H220X with a Noctua NH-d14. The water is a mess inside with white flakes. I'll drain it and refill it but I don't want to deal with a water cooler failure. Out of the blue it just could not keep my CPU cool and I'm glad I keep a close tab on temps. I hope the air cooler can do a good enough job on the i7 5820K. It's not a great one and it does run hot.

FFMafia

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking into the 1070 specifically but should also apply.

Smokey

For those of you with a 1440p display, do you scale the image to 125% in Windows 10? I'm having a really tough time adjusting to everything being so small. Adjusting to 125% makes it look proper but certain applications and parts of Windows don't support scaling and everything blurry.

I'm just trying to decide if I should force myself to get used to everything being smaller or just deal with the blurriness.

100% in Windows. I scale in Chrome 110% - 125% depending on the site.

Who else bought a Win 10 Pro from Play Asia? Just finished my PC build but the Win 10 I bought last January is not activating. :(

Is it a code you used before with no issue or did you buy it over a year ago and never used it?

I'd just contact their customer support and ask for a new key if it's one you never activated before

Is it a code you used before with no issue or did you buy it over a year ago and never used it?

I'd just contact their customer support and ask for a new key if it's one you never activated before
I bought it in January 25th 2017, and never used it until now. I just completed my PC build just hours ago.

I have contacted their customer support. Hopefully it gets resolved. I bought physical goods from Play Asia before so I thought I will have no problem with a digital product key. This $25 USD deal for Win10 Pro seem too good to be true.

100% all the way.

Primus

Started sourcing parts for the new build this weekend, ordered the Amazon set first since I know they sit on things for a few days now. Once I get shipping notice from Amazon I'll order the remaining parts from NewEgg.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.29 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($187.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($94.04 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1206.13

The 970 is being carried over from my current system, just don't have the money for a 1070 right now. Hoping prices will drop when I have more money in Summer. The 850 EVO is spoils from Amazon's pricing error over Cyber Monday, and I already have the 960 PRO M.2 SSD as well. Looking forward to getting this built in a week or so.

Just leave it at 100% and adapt. Depending on where you're coming from yes it's smaller, but not significantly so compared to a 24" 1080p monitor (109 vs 92 DPI)

Does anyone have a Dell S2716DG? I don't know when I'll be buying a new monitor but I'm having a terrible time deciding what I want. My current monitor is IPS so I'd be worried about a downgrade to TN with inferior viewing angles and colors, but not having any IPS glow/backlight bleed may be worth it if the viewing angles are sufficient enough. It's also significantly cheaper than the IPS G-Sync options would be.

SRG01

Ryzen will definitely impress, especially if its 6C/12T or 8C/16T parts knock it out of the park. I'm already feeling the limits of 4C/8T :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom