• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Anyone use a Corsair Air case (either the 740 or 540) in their build? Been looking at either of those as an option for a build I may do. Never built before and the extra space makes it look easier to do cable management.

The 540 is a fantastic case. I used it during a build for a client and it couldn't have been an easier case to fit everything in and cable manage. The dual chassis design gives you so much space. Temps are fantastic as well, though there isn't any sound dampening. Definitely get good super quiet fans like some Corsair ML120 Pros to go along with it and you'll have a perfect rig

Doing a new personal with a prodigy M this last week was the polar opposite. :( I'd hate SFF cases altogether after that if it wasn't for the fact that I've done a client build in a Corsair 250d and that actually was a great little case as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Could that be this bad though?

An even more extreme example I just did was my CPU spiked to 72C immediately after restarting. The only thing I did was open foobar and that was it and that caused the spike. It went to 72c and then back down to 34c. How is that even physically possible?

Could it be the temps arent actually that bad and its a sensor problem? Or could my default voltage be screwed up somehow?
Yes IHS can be that bad. Check CPU-Z (idle and load voltages) and motherboard set voltages too, but even running +.2V isn't gonna spike temps that high alone.
doesn't really matter if they support it straight away or not. they will only run at the lowest setting out the box. my 3200 sticks ran at 2133. you just set it as high as you can. if you get 3200 sticks then that's the highest they are rated for. if you buy for example 2800 sticks then that's probably as high as you'll get. best going for 3200 even if you're running them at 2666 for now. if with future bios updates you can increase it then great.
Again, worth waiting a couple days so proper reviews come out to verify.

Invis

Yes IHS can be that bad. Check CPU-Z (idle and load voltages) and motherboard set voltages too, but even running +.2V isn't gonna spike temps that high alone.

Again, worth waiting a couple days so proper reviews come out to verify.

CPU voltage is at 1.248 under load and around 0.93x-0.934x idle, which seems fairly low. The odd thing though is that it doesnt seem to downclock, it's always running at the turbo boost speed of 4.5, while the voltage is changing.

Is the huge temp spikes due to the voltage going up from 0.93 to 1.248?

I was planning on overclocking to atleast 4.7GHz but that whole plan has gone awry after discovering these spikes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
CPU voltage is at 1.248 under load and around 0.93x-0.934x idle, which seems fairly low. The odd thing though is that it doesnt seem to downclock, it's always running at the turbo boost speed of 4.5, while the voltage is changing.

Is the huge temp spikes due to the voltage going up from 0.93 to 1.248?

I was planning on overclocking to atleast 4.7GHz but that whole plan has gone awry after discovering these spikes.
You can try undervolting to 1.2V load, but the chip just cannot pass heat into the metal heatsink to cool itself. Delidding can often drop temps by 8-20C.
It's so bad I made sure to buy my used 3770K pre-delidded.

The chips change turbo/load/voltage all the time to save power, it's normal. You probably have background services running (nearly anything can kick it in).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I am so glad I waited to get a CPU. With Intel dropping prices and 1080 Ti around the corner, my build will have the latest goods.

Bloodember

an article came out talking about Microcenter lowering their prices for Skylake, Kaby Lake, etc CPUs and people assumed it was being done by all retailers...so far it looks like it's just Microcenter only
I see, microcenter does have their annual big sale going on right now and Intel CPUs are on sale.

I honestly don't see Intel dropping their prices at all, unless Ryzen takes a big share of the market, which I don't see happening. I hope it happens though, Intel needs some competition.

Invis

You can try undervolting to 1.2V load, but the chip just cannot pass heat into the metal heatsink to cool itself. Delidding can often drop temps by 8-20C.
It's so bad I made sure to buy my used 3770K pre-delidded.

The chips change turbo/load/voltage all the time to save power, it's normal. You probably have background services running (nearly anything can kick it in).

Would you recommend deliding or trying to get Intel/NewEgg to send a replacement? Don't have any experience deliding personally.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What GPU offers better overall performance - 1060 6gb or 480 8gb? Price aside. From what I can tell, they trade blows a lot.

Khaz

Would you recommend deliding or trying to get Intel/NewEgg to send a replacement? Don't have any experience deliding personally.

If I were you, I would contact Newegg first, then Intel, to know if they can replace it. If you're stuck with your processor, then you could attempt to delid it. If you have spare cash to cover for the worst that could happen.

Yaari

Has anyone in the UK heard of / used Alternate.co.uk? site looks kinda fishy and not much online about them. Can't find the Cryorig H7 in stock anywhere else.

https://www.alternate.co.uk/Cryorig/H7/html/product/1174912

Not in the UK but that's a Dutch website shipping within Europe. The Dutch site, Alternate.nl, also links to them, so they are legit. I used them before fine, but the reviews arent completely positive.

https://tweakers.net/shopreview/156/alternate-punt-nl/overzicht/ (It's in Dutch, but you can see the scoring atleast)

2.5/5 on customer service

BraXzy

Not in the UK but that's a Dutch website shipping within Europe. The Dutch site, Alternate.nl, also links to them, so they are legit. I used them before fine, but the reviews arent completely positive.

https://tweakers.net/shopreview/156/alternate-punt-nl/overzicht/ (It's in Dutch, but you can see the scoring atleast)

Hmm. I might go with an alternative cooler.

Two runners up being the Arctic i32 and be quiet! Pure Rock. Which would you go with?

gamma

Has anyone in the UK heard of / used Alternate.co.uk? site looks kinda fishy and not much online about them. Can't find the Cryorig H7 in stock anywhere else.

https://www.alternate.co.uk/Cryorig/H7/html/product/1174912

Yeah its legit. They are a big German, not Dutch, online retailer.

AHA-Lambda

Thought I was better asking here than anywhere else but was wondering if these idle figures are ok/within acceptable limits?

Power usage: ~17%
Fan speed: ~1500rpm
CPU/GPU temps: ~30°C

Also, how often should I clear out the inside of my PC for dust?
've had it for about 2 years now, so I'm just trying to figure out it's health basically.

LilJoka

Maybe I'm just stuck on how well my 2500K performed, especially at 4.6GHz but I think I may some big helps guys. My 7700K is running a bit hotter than it should be and temps are spiking like crazy even browsing through the internet. My cooler is a Cryorig H7. Here's what five minutes of customizing some cars in the Rocket League main menu look like. Nothing is overclocked either.

I've already reseated the cooler and reapplied thermal paste about an hour ago but I'm still getting the same results. Originally I applied MX-4, second time around I applied CP7. I've moved my front two case fans from 5v to 12v which didn't help that much either. All case fans are pushing air flow through correctly. I've upped the default fan profile in BIOS as well for my cooler and that didn't do anything really either.

Running x264 with 16 threads puts my CPU up to around 82C within five minutes. Idle is 34C. Actually playing a couple matches of Rocket League, temps are 64-67C. Now 67C isn't that high, but when CPU usage is around 15%, that seems high. The spiking is what's certainly wrong.

My 2500K performed a bit cooler than this with my 212+, but I never got temp spikes like this, nor did my temps ever close to 82c. One difference I can tell is that the fan on my cooler is not pushing out near as much cool air as the fan on my 212+. My heatsink on the 212 was cool to the touch at idle, while my H7 pipe is not. I also could feel air coming out of the 212+ on the left side right next to the exhaust fan, but I can't feel any air out the other side of my H7. Maybe that's just the way this new cooler is built? I dont know. Is the 7700K just by default a poorly cooled chip?

If the 7700k is stock, then turn off multi core enhancement in the bios. All core turbo speed can be tested with prime95 v27.9. It should run at 4.2ghz. Core enhancement will run it 4.5ghz all core turbo and will increase vcore causing temp issues.

Yaari

Would this particular RAM be likely to encounter any issues if I attempt to use it with the not yet released Asus Crosshair VI that I intend on getting? F4-3200C14D-32GTZ

eot

Banned
I'm trying to put together a build for my sis so she can play ME:A. Are those RAM prices in the OP very out of date? Went* I look for 2x8GB DDR4 it's like $150, not $50.

sono

Just went to purchase and realised that delivery wasn't included, which adds an extra £10 on top. Think I'll go with the be quiet pure rock which is £17 cheaper.

This is the build I think I'm going to go with. Anyone have any concerns with it?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/89f6Ps

You are better not getting the founders edition of graphics cards as they typically have measurably worse cooling, speed/performance that the next one up from the same manufacturer and often for little difference in price.

I'm trying to put together a build for my sis so she can play ME:A. Are those RAM prices in the OP very out of date? When I look for 2x8GB DDR4 it's like $150, not $50.
They're massively out of date. RAM prices have been going up since summer 2016, but now it's gotten really bad. Take whatever deals you can get, because the prices aren't going to get better until maybe 2018.

BraXzy

You are better not getting the founders edition of graphics cards as they typically have measurably worse cooling, speed/performance that the next one up from the same manufacturer and often for little difference in price.

The parts that are marked as purchased are parts I already have that I'm moving out of my current prebuilt system.

Not true. The blower cooler is louder, but the 10 series Founders Edition cards clock exactly the same as the AIB cards, and they do it with a single 8-pin cable.

peakish

I have a bit of a silly question. I don't have a proper TV and media setup so I'd like to play a console (specifically a Switch) on my PC monitor and speakers. I figure that I can pick up a capture card for that but it has to be external since I have a mini-ITX motherboard.

Any recommendations on what to get? Besides being external I just want something that's easy to use, has as little added display lag as possible and preferably looks OK. I don't care about recording although I suppose it's an added bonus. I've been eyeing the Blackmagic Intensity (Durante's program for adding SMAA etc looks interesting) but apparently motherboard compatibility isn't guaranteed and mine is not listed among the recommended. Then there's the Elgato HD60 which looks okay and is cheaper. Any other I should consider?

Edit: The Avermedia Extremecap U3 looks promising.

CaLe

Thinking of purchasing this, any comments / suggestions ? All prices are in CAD.

The M.2 is for my boot drive. I'll be re-using my GTX 980 Ti.

I don't know much about RAM or cooling, so feel free to suggest something else :)

N7shGKX.jpg

Vipu

Banned
Thinking of purchasing this, any comments / suggestions ? All prices are in CAD.

The M.2 is for my boot drive. I'll be re-using my GTX 980 Ti.

I don't know much about RAM or cooling, so feel free to suggest something else :)

Why m.2 tho?
Are you handling BIG files?

So with my next paycheck, I want to try to build a decent PC. Mainly to play overwatch, so a decent mouse would be nice. I also want it for general use and 1080p playback. I really desire something quiet and low maintenance, as I do most of my gaming at night and live with roommates. Price range is $700. I live in the US. Also, are there any websites/companies that can build the PC for you and then pick up, busy so I don't have much time to build my own.

So with my next paycheck, I want to try to build a decent PC. Mainly to play overwatch, so a decent mouse would be nice. I also want it for general use and 1080p playback. I really desire something quiet and low maintenance, as I do most of my gaming at night and live with roommates. Price range is $700. I live in the US. Also, are there any websites/companies that can build the PC for you and then pick up, busy so I don't have much time to build my own.
NCIX is a good site that'll build you a rig without too much of a premium.

That said, you might want to wait until the Ryzen R5 1600X comes out, since you'll get a 6 core/12 thread CPU for the price of an Intel i5.

Thraktor

Übermatik;230963669 said:
Ah shit, where did that go?! Hahaha! :D

CUDA applies to many programs in the Adobe suite I'll be using, specifically Ae, plus some additional support in Red Giant products. I'm also tempted by shadow play and G-Sync tech later down the line. That said, these are all benefits I'd be willing to drop if it meant a price difference - but it's not looking that way, so I may as well go Nvidia?

Aside from that, how's the build looking Thraktor? Any feedback? What about a Mobo? Is the B350M JonnyDBrit suggested a good choice?

As it stands I'll be looking at about £800-900 - still higher than I had really hoped, but I suppose I could opt for a 1050 to bring things down a bit further? What can I afford to skimp on if I bring the budget down?

Sorry for all the questions, but it'd be nice to have some flexibility so I can stand back and consider multiple builds! I'm eager for Ryzen, so I guess the rest is up to picking a lesser GPU / maybe cutting out some storage...

The Asus motherboard is probably fine (I've used several Asus mobos before and been generally happy with them), but if you're not in a rush I'd consider waiting until someone does a good comparison review of the main B350 options. They can all overclock, but how well each one will do so will depend on the quality of the hardware they're using, and that may well vary quite a bit from one board to the next. Ditto with support for higher speed memory.

A 1050 would definitely struggle at 1440p. You may be able to squeeze by at lowered settings, but I'd only recommend it if it's either a stop-gap or you're just not expecting to play particularly graphically intensive games.

I wouldn't worry about CUDA in Adobe's software, though, they've moved pretty much entirely to supporting OpenCL/OpenGL, and it's only obsolete components for which they haven't done so. The Magic Bullet suite has also moved to OpenCL/OpenGL with the latest release, although this is basically a byproduct of Adobe's support, as Magic Bullet uses Adobe's Mercury playback engine.

Regarding G-Sync, I'd actually say you're better off with an AMD card, all things being equal, if you want to buy an adaptive sync monitor in the future, as Freesync monitors usually come in quite a bit cheaper than their G-Sync counterparts. You would have to put a bit more research into the monitor itself, to make sure it has a sufficiently large Freesync range, and that it's got well-implemented overdrive, but frankly you should check reviews before you buy any monitor, anyway. AMD also has some kind of Shadowplay-like functionality in their newer software, but to be honest I've never used either, so I wouldn't really know how they stack up.

If you do want to squeeze your budget a bit on the graphics card front then an RX470 may be a decent choice if you can find a good deal on one. It's not that far off the RX480 in performance and is pretty much the best bang for your buck you can get at the moment.

Weevilone

Nope, m.2 is only useful for transferring big files ?

There is just a gap between the benchmark speeds and perceived speeds for normal use. I'd personally prefer M.2 just for the simplicity and lack of cable clutter, but the performance is certainly great as well.

sleepnaught

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but...

What are the best speakers/studio monitors I can get for about $4-500? I need them for practicing guitar with amp modelers mostly but also would use them heavily for gaming.

R1CHO

So, I have one of this very small pcs, with an atom x8500 as htpc, and I was thinking, would it be feasible to replace it with a G4560 based setup?

I have been looking for a little bit for small cases, but most of the good ones seem to be of the console form factor, for dedicated gpus and all that. Any recommendation on even smaller cases?

NCIX is a good site that'll build you a rig without too much of a premium.

That said, you might want to wait until the Ryzen R5 1600X comes out, since you'll get a 6 core/12 thread CPU for the price of an Intel i5.
I don't really want to wait that long. I am not looking for the latest and greatest, just something functional and reliable.

Going from having my OS on a sata 3 SSD to an M.2 It definitely feels snappier. I went with a 512gb 960 Pro but I'm thinking about exchanging it for a 250gb 960 Evo m.2. I figure I'll get similar performance at 1/3 the cost

Ashhong

Just gonna throw this out there: I tried streaming on twitch the other day and my PC froze, no BSOD, the screen just froze. Any idea what would cause that? Is that a cpu thing? I'm not even overclocked

LilJoka

Just gonna throw this out there: I tried streaming on twitch the other day and my PC froze, no BSOD, the screen just froze. Any idea what would cause that? Is that a cpu thing? I'm not even overclocked

Do you run XMP profile?
Checked system temps?
It's hard to say really.

Very weird question. I am so close to just reinstalling windows.

So for some weird reason text and some icons are sometimes very blurry... Im seriously kinda freaked out. For example today I was browsing internet with mozilla and suddenly I noticed the date and clock on the right lower side of the screen was very weird looking. It seemed like the resolution was somehow lowered or something.

When I switched between "windowed" and fullscreen the problem went away and came back everytime I switched back to windowed mode. This problem seems to come and go mostly totally randomly... anyone ever encountered something similiar..?

Should I sell my 6700k oc @ 4.5ghz and upgrade to a 7700k for an extra $60?

Unless you're trying to get every extra frame you can, on a 144hz or 4K monitor, paired with the highest end GPU that money can buy from Nvidia...

No, not really. The 6700k is pretty close to the 7700k performance wise, so either for $60, you'll not get a massive performance gain out of it.

The Chef

You guys were the best for my previous build. So much so my bro wants my help with his setup.

He wants a mini-tower to put with his components and connect directly to his projector in his game room. He wont have a desk setup for this thing.

So I found this article and it looks pretty epic.
http://techbuyersguru.com/1500-vr-ready-mini-itx-pc-build

CPU: ntel Core i7-7700K
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming
VIDEO CARD: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Black Edition
MEMORY: Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 Black
SOLID-STATE DRIVE: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2
CASE: Silverstone SG13
FAN (OPTIONAL): Arctic F12 PWM 120mm Fan (Opt.)
POWER SUPPLY: Silverstone SX500-LG
CPU COOLER: Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B

~$1500.

Thoughts? This is a straight gaming rig.
So far the CPU Cooler is the only thing not in stock at amazon. Any recommendations?

LilJoka

You guys were the best for my previous build. So much so my bro wants my help with his setup.

He wants a mini-tower to put with his components and connect directly to his projector in his game room. He wont have a desk setup for this thing.

So I found this article and it looks pretty epic.
http://techbuyersguru.com/1500-vr-ready-mini-itx-pc-build

CPU: ntel Core i7-7700K
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming
VIDEO CARD: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Black Edition
MEMORY: Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 Black
SOLID-STATE DRIVE: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2
CASE: Silverstone SG13
FAN (OPTIONAL): Arctic F12 PWM 120mm Fan (Opt.)
POWER SUPPLY: Silverstone SX500-LG
CPU COOLER: Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B

~$1500.

Thoughts? This is a straight gaming rig.
So far the CPU Cooler is the only thing not in stock at amazon. Any recommendations?

Good selection. I would go with the slighter larger node 304 case which will let you use a bigger air cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom