• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2020. Ray Tracing. 120Hz-360Hz. Next-Gen Already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealGassy

Banned
I usually recommended the 3600 with a 400 series board (which was made obsolete by AMD today).
I see a lot of upset people online because they unknowingly bought a dead-end AM4 platform since AMD kept that info secret till today...

That is a reason to have buyers remorse. Anyone who took my recommendation on 3600 + 400 series last year is forced to buy a new MOBO and CPU whenever they want to upgrade. Seeing a $120 CPU (3300x) + $100 MOBO (B550) with future upgradeability just makes my budget recommendation last year look even worse. I am embarrassed and ashamed. And if they don't feel buyer's remorse, I feel it for them.
This is why I always recommend budget 50-60 or at most 70 usd mobos.
3600 + 50-60usd mobo was (and still is) a good purchase today.
Even if obsolete for a CPU upgrade down the line.

Buying expensive mobos for budget builds has always been really stupid, yet I see that shit all the time and it makes no sense since that has no bearing on performance whatsoever.
100usd mobo is expensive for 120-170usd CPU.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Okay guys, so below is the scoop on my build (my first build ever) and here's my question: I thought I would be okay with running everything at medium settings at an okay framerate, but I'm really not - and I'm trying to get prepared for next gen. I get mixed up with some of the technical stuff, so I just need a bit of guidance on what I should upgrade in my build to get the biggest boost of power; what's necessary and what's not, etc. Obviously, a new GPU would bump me up a ton and it's something I'm planning on upgrading, but with price fluctuations and the current market, I'm not really sure what would be a good GPU buy right now. I play a lot of competitive games, and I'm considering trying my hand at streaming one day.

My build: Geforce RTX 2060, Ryzen 7 2700x, 8gb of RAM, Asus Prime x470-PRO mobo,
You would want to upgrade your ram to 16GB with 3200-3600 rated speed. And if you want to upgrade your GPU, I'd say wait for the new stuff latrer this year. I'd also tell you to wait for Ryzen 4000, but if you must upgrade your CPU, maybe something like a 3700x would be good if you're using it for gaming.

longdi

Banned
Man I feel like I may as well just bite the bullet and buy a rtx 2070 super. This freaking generation has been way too long, and I'm getting tired of waiting. I would likely sell the 2070 super after ampere stuff becomes readily available (since the first few months it's either sold out or thr aib versions haven't yet been released).

Currently have a gtx 1070 ti, is this upgrade worth it.

I will say no.
You playing what games? Just drop the settings a little and wait for 3 more months towards greatness!

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who took my recommendation on 3600 + 400 series last year is forced to buy a new MOBO and CPU whenever they want to upgrade.

I'm not really sure what the issue is here. Most people don't upgrade every year and generally buy a new CPU/MOBO combo anyway.

HeadsUp7Up

I was really gearing up to build a new PC and I have firmly decided to wait until the AM5 socket is announced. I currently have an i5-4570 and GTX 970 with 16GB of RAM which doesn't scream but can hold it's own for my uses. I still game mostly on my Xbox or Playstation so I will be good to go. I really wanted the new rig for Microsoft Flight Simulator but if I'm going through the trouble of building a new system I might as well wait another 8 months or so after it comes out and get a board that will last me a few CPU refreshes.

Mista

Banned
I want a new PC... I don't exactly need one, but I'm on the fence as far as do I want to get something this year or next... I just want my PC to be a decent amount more powerful than the next gen consoles, so I think I should probably wait a little.
You don't have to wait. Everything is available right now

I can you make you a nice build if you want

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
New PC based around the:

Other stuff I am interested in gathering to complete the build:

Case:
or

Ram:

Motherboard is still undecided. Most of the boards I was interested in are sold out.

For GPU, I am waiting with a trigger finger for the RTX/GTX 3080 TI. 1500 bucks locked in for that POS alone.

Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
New PC based around the:

Other stuff I am interested in gathering to complete the build:

Case:
or

Ram:

Motherboard is still undecided. Most of the boards I was interested in are sold out.

For GPU, I am waiting with a trigger finger for the RTX/GTX 3080 TI. 1500 bucks locked in for that POS alone.

Suggestions are welcome.
32gb might be a bit of a a stretch but it's fine. 3900x is also a stretch but it's fine :p
But fractal meshify C is too small for those components. It's a good case but it's got so little space inside that GPU have hard time breathing.
I've went down 6-8c degrees on gpu going from fractal define c to phanteks p600s. Cpu should be fine in fractal though.

As for mobo - I have 3700x and x570 is a must. what x570 is Your choice. I've got gigabyte elite and it's running 2xNVME drives great

Last edited:

Ascend

I don't want to hear about "but next-gen has 8C/16T" till the benchmarks show the difference it doesn't matter.
Actually it does matter. It might not matter for performance, but it matters for what you want to buy. If you want to keep your PC viable for gaming for longer than 1 year, it's simply smarter to go for an 8C/16T CPU at this point, or even a 6C/12T rather than an 4T/8C. If you don't mind upgrading every year or so, that's another story. But that's not how most people operate. Not only is it financially taxing, it's pretty much stupid.

Not that buying a new system right now seems like a good idea at all, but that's another story.

onunnuno

Neo Member

Suggestions are welcome.

Maybe when the 3080 Ti releases it will be close to Ryzen 4000, if that is the case I would wait for it instead of buying the Ryzen 3000

Last edited:

Leonidas

So now you give even a flying fuck about value?! YOU?!

I always did, previously recommended things like 1600 AF (at $85), and 1700/2700 (when they dropped to like $140) and the 3600. But I guess people ignore that since I also always say the truth that Intel is faster in gaming, which is still true to this day :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Actually it does matter. It might not matter for performance, but it matters for what you want to buy. If you want to keep your PC viable for gaming for longer than 1 year, it's simply smarter to go for an 8C/16T CPU at this point, or even a 6C/12T rather than an 4T/8C. If you don't mind upgrading every year or so, that's another story. But that's not how most people operate. Not only is it financially taxing, it's pretty much stupid.

There's simply no way of knowing exactly when more cores will be necessary for gaming. Buying more AMD cores than you need has always been a waste (for gaming) up to this point.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I go back and forth with myself on this - will a 2060 Super be sufficient for 1440p mostly single player gaming (I don't care about getting framerates over 80 or so) for the next three years?

longdi

Banned
I go back and forth with myself on this - will a 2060 Super be sufficient for 1440p mostly single player gaming (I don't care about getting framerates over 80 or so) for the next three years?

Of course it can, but you drop a lot of graphic effects over the next 3 years.
As disappointing as PS5 is, i think it is better than 2060S.
May as well wait for Ampere soon!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So excited to upgrade my 2014 build this fall winter.

Guileless

Of course it can, but you drop a lot of graphic effects over the next 3 years.
As disappointing as PS5 is, i think it is better than 2060S.
May as well wait for Ampere soon!

I should have been more specific - I will end up with one of the new consoles eventually. So will a 2060 Super age really fast (having to drop lots of effects down to keep a decent framerate) compared to what's available on the consoles in two years?

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Yes you can count on that!
My 1080ti pisses on 2060S.. without RTX of course, but 2060S is not really a RT powerhouse.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
32gb might be a bit of a a stretch but it's fine. 3900x is also a stretch but it's fine :p
But fractal meshify C is too small for those components. It's a good case but it's got so little space inside that GPU have hard time breathing.
I've went down 6-8c degrees on gpu going from fractal define c to phanteks p600s. Cpu should be fine in fractal though.

As for mobo - I have 3700x and x570 is a must. what x570 is Your choice. I've got gigabyte elite and it's running 2xNVME drives great

I'll probably go Obsidian, then. I like the aesthetic and it seems to have more room.
I wanted to go for the 16 core Ryzen, but I don't want to maintain liquid cooling. I'd rather OC a little bit and stay safe with a quiet but strong air cooled solution.

Like someone said above, I might change the parts depending on what's out, when 3080TI drops. The build is going to revolve around that and the latest Ryzen that is equivalent to the one I am eyeing right now.
With that in mind, I am getting very close to upgrading entirely. Once I can purchase a 3080 TI, buying the rest is just a matter of time. I know exactly what I want, and all that's in the way is time.

FireFly

There's simply no way of knowing exactly when more cores will be necessary for gaming. Buying more AMD cores than you need has always been a waste (for gaming) up to this point.
That's precisely why it's too early to evaluate the potential value of the 3300X vs. the 3600. Since we don't know how long the 3300X will last, and how much extra time the 3600 will buy you.

Mista

Banned
Cousins build final touches have arrived thanks to newegg. Time to start building :messenger_sunglasses:

dPA4iBs.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
9900K will still hold VERY well even with 10 seres in the horizon. Don’t overestimate how demanding games are on the loom.

Absolutely. The next-gen consoles are 8 cores and 16 threads, right? So is the 9900k, but it's just a lot more powerful, so it should be more than fine for probably the whole generation.

Kenpachii

Absolutely. The next-gen consoles are 8 cores and 16 threads, right? So is the 9900k, but it's just a lot more powerful, so it should be more than fine for probably the whole generation.

these consoles are probably sitting around 6 cores of that 9900k so yea u will be fine.

Cousins build final touches have arrived thanks to newegg. Time to start building :messenger_sunglasses:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I’m running a 4670k and it’s cramping my style. As I said above earlier, going to upgrade my build. But I am wondering if I can upgrade this CPU now or should I wait for what’s coming? I can wait. What should I be waiting for? I’m totally unknowledgeable with CPUs these days.

Last edited:
I’m running a 4670k and it’s cramping my style. As I said above earlier, going to upgrade my build. But I am wondering if I can upgrade this CPU now or should I wait for what’s coming? I can wait. What should I be waiting for? I’m totally unknowledgeable with CPUs these days.
Replace the cpu with a SSD. You won't regret the secret sauce.

But I would wait honestly, as prices will drop for everything current, and next gen lineup will be replacing them in price tier.

Leonidas

Zen3 (AMD) and Rocket Lake (Intel) are scheduled to arrive later this year, both are new architectures.

Intel also has Comet Lake arriving in a few weeks which will be the fastest gaming CPU upon launch and brings 9900K & 8700K level of performance to a lower cost.

Leonidas

That's precisely why it's too early to evaluate the potential value of the 3300X vs. the 3600. Since we don't know how long the 3300X will last, and how much extra time the 3600 will buy you.

If you buy more Zen2 cores now expecting it to last you, you will see AMD release a new CPU every year that is faster in gaming than your current high core count CPU. I would never buy a high core count CPU for future gaming performance knowing that a faster next-gen CPU is launching before I actually need the extra cores in gaming.

Last edited:

Guileless

I would still wait to build a new PC.

New graphic cards are likely to come out in 3 months or so.

I hear this a lot but aren't they likely to be delayed? And then when they're released, won't they be hard to find and marked up over MSRP for a long time after that? No thx

Bboy AJ

Zen3 (AMD) and Rocket Lake (Intel) are scheduled to arrive later this year, both are new architectures.

Intel also has Comet Lake arriving in a few weeks which will be the fastest gaming CPU upon launch and brings 9900K & 8700K level of performance to a lower cost.
Awesome. That’s the info I hoped to hear. Sounds like I’m in a great spot. I’ll wait. Mini ITX build here. Thanks.

SantaC

I hear this a lot but aren't they likely to be delayed? And then when they're released, won't they be hard to find and marked up over MSRP for a long time after that? No thx
the delay is pretty much right now, Nvidia cancelled their show in march,. I would expect it to come out later this year.

FireFly

If you buy more Zen2 cores now expecting it to last you, you will see AMD release a new CPU every year that is faster in gaming than your current high core count CPU. I would never buy a high core count CPU for future gaming performance knowing that a faster next-gen CPU is launching before I actually need the extra cores in gaming.
It can be the case both that better CPUs are available, and your current CPU will be adequate for many years to come. Isn't that the point of recommending the 3300X in the first place?

So if for example a 3700X or 3900X will be adequate for the rest of the generation, it doesn't matter if Zen 3 or 4 or 5 will release – from the point of view of whether to upgrade or not.

Leonidas

So if for example a 3700X or 3900X will be adequate for the rest of the generation, it doesn't matter if Zen 3 or 4 or 5 will release – from the point of view of whether to upgrade or not.

The 3700x/3900x will look bad compared to the advancements Intel and AMD make in CPUs over the next couple of years, let alone the entire generation. Sure you'd still be ahead of consoles, but compared to PC CPUs, those CPUs won't hold up, they weren't great gaming CPUs to begin with.

Zen3 launches this year (ulness it's delayed) and will be faster than Zen2. At that point I wouldn't recommend any Zen2 CPU, unless they become insanely good values through price drops.

The point of recommending 3300x is that by the time Zen3 launches it will still be within a few % in gaming than the 3900x at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

FireFly

The 3700x/3900x will look bad compared to the advancements Intel and AMD make in CPUs over the next couple of years, let alone the entire generation. Sure you'd still be ahead of consoles, but compared to PC CPUs, those CPUs won't hold up, they weren't great gaming CPUs to begin with.
It doesn't matter if they "look bad" if they have adequate performance in the applications you want to run. The i7 2600k looks bad compared to modern CPUs, but it can still run many (maybe most) games at 60 FPS. When it launched in 2011, games weren't taking full advantage of 4 cores / 8 threads, so you could have bought a i3 2100 for a third of the price while only dropping ~20% performance. Does that mean going for the extra cores turned out to be a waste?

Zen3 launches this year (ulness it's delayed) and will be faster than Zen2. At that point I wouldn't recommend any Zen2 CPU.
It's possible we will face the exact same question if there is a 4 core Zen 3. Go for 8+ cores or try to survive as long as possible with 4 cores.

So I bought the case for my new pc already, because I just had to start getting something 🙈 Come on, Nvidia, and reveal the nee gpus + pricing!

It's ok though that I got the case already, because I plan to have it painted in a different color. :eek:

Last edited:
i have a question i dont know what to upgrade my cpu or gpu
i have i5 9600k
gpu rtx 2060 super
i can only upgrade one thing at the moment or should i just wait

Myths

i have i5 9600k
gpu rtx 2060 super
I would wait with a lot of upgrades around the corner, prices are going to drop. If I couldn’t wait, I’d upgrade the CPU.

FireFly

i have i5 9600k
gpu rtx 2060 super
There's no point upgrading if you're happy with your current performance. Otherwise it depends on the game and resolution. At 1080p you are likely to be somewhat CPU limited, while at 1440p+ you should be mostly GPU limited. But if you don't have a fast refresh monitor the extra frames above 60 FPS will be wasted anyway.

Mista

Banned
i have i5 9600k
gpu rtx 2060 super
Keep that gpu its good. Get rid of the cpu but be patient

AMD are coming in strong with their new cpu’s

I would wait with a lot of upgrades around the corner, prices are going to drop. If I couldn’t wait, I’d upgrade the CPU.
yeah i was thinking of upgraded the cpu i have a 144hz monitor and i want to get better frames for it.

There's no point upgrading if you're happy with your current performance. Otherwise it depends on the game and resolution. At 1080p you are likely to be somewhat CPU limited, while at 1440p+ you should be mostly GPU limited. But if you don't have a fast refresh monitor the extra frames above 60 FPS will be wasted anyway.
yeah i have a 144hz monitor and i really want the frames.

Keep that gpu its good. Get rid of the cpu but be patient

AMD are coming in strong with their new cpu’s
yeah i want more frames for my monitor but i really want to upgrade something soon.

thanks y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom