• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2020. Ray Tracing. 120Hz-360Hz. Next-Gen Already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Which chip do you actually mean above? The i9 HEDT 10 core part? Even against the new Comet Lake desktop stuff the 10900X is a literal waste of money in almost all use cases. Replace with i9-10900K I'd say.

As for your theory: honestly hard to say for the right now. Not personally following the console wars in detail, but note the lower CPU clocks on those boxes. I'd also bring your attention to the decompression performance of Zen 2. I'm unsure if comparable, but it stomps those metrics with 7zip decompression at least.

I wouldn't even bother with the 10900K. If you want 10-cores, spend the same and get a 12-core Ryzen 3900X.

The 10700K is the CPU to get in the 10-series.

Leonidas

3900x is slower in gaming though, and is going to be replaced by a faster Zen3 CPU later this year, it never made sense to buy the 3900x for a gaming system, it's barely faster than 3600 in games. Wouldn't surprise me if a Zen3 6-Core this year is faster than 3900x in gaming.

10900K when it launches will be the fastest gaming CPU, that alone makes it worth consideration.

Last edited:

K.N.W.

I'd also bring your attention to the decompression performance of Zen 2. I'm unsure if comparable, but it stomps those metrics with 7zip decompression at least.
Mark Cerny equated the PS5 decompression block's performance to 9 Zen 2 cores.... But I think that such power and decompression speed are going to be used just by PS5 exclusives.
BTW, there is no such CPU as the i7 10900X, you are likely referring to the i7 10700K.
Thanks, corrected :)

Last edited:

Casanova

Okay guys, so below is the scoop on my build (my first build ever) and here's my question: I thought I would be okay with running everything at medium settings at an okay framerate, but I'm really not - and I'm trying to get prepared for next gen. I get mixed up with some of the technical stuff, so I just need a bit of guidance on what I should upgrade in my build to get the biggest boost of power; what's necessary and what's not, etc. Obviously, a new GPU would bump me up a ton and it's something I'm planning on upgrading, but with price fluctuations and the current market, I'm not really sure what would be a good GPU buy right now. I play a lot of competitive games, and I'm considering trying my hand at streaming one day.

My build: Geforce RTX 2060, Ryzen 7 2700x, 8gb of RAM, Asus Prime x470-PRO mobo,

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Okay guys, so below is the scoop on my build (my first build ever) and here's my question: I thought I would be okay with running everything at medium settings at an okay framerate, but I'm really not - and I'm trying to get prepared for next gen. I get mixed up with some of the technical stuff, so I just need a bit of guidance on what I should upgrade in my build to get the biggest boost of power; what's necessary and what's not, etc. Obviously, a new GPU would bump me up a ton and it's something I'm planning on upgrading, but with price fluctuations and the current market, I'm not really sure what would be a good GPU buy right now. I play a lot of competitive games, and I'm considering trying my hand at streaming one day.

My build: Geforce RTX 2060, Ryzen 7 2700x, 8gb of RAM, Asus Prime x470-PRO mobo,
Monitor resolution & hz?
I don't see a sane GPU upgrade from where you are right now. Can you wait for Ampere/Big Navi?
CPU is okay unless you're aiming for very high FPS. Wouldn't spend there until Ryzen 4000, tbh.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3900x is slower in gaming though, and is going to be replaced by a faster Zen3 CPU later this year, it never made sense to buy the 3900x for a gaming system, it's barely faster than 3600 in games. Wouldn't surprise me if a Zen3 6-Core this year is faster than 3900x in gaming.

10900K when it launches will be the fastest gaming CPU, that alone makes it worth consideration.

Very small gains over the 3900x for over $250 more...

It's also worse in productivity programs. I guess if gaming and only gaming is what you plan to use it for and want the best no matter the cost, it's the way to go.

longdi

Banned

It's also worse in productivity programs. I guess if gaming and only gaming is what you plan to use it for and want the best no matter the cost, it's the way to go.

10900X also need more expensive motherboard and ram.
It can be overclocked though, which should then beat 3900X easily in games.

However next gen is Series X level, and 3900X kicks the cpu inside it. 3900X is perfectly fine for games!
I doubt 6-core Zen3 can beat 3900X for next gen games

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

However next gen is Series X level, and 3900X kicks the cpu inside it. 3900X is perfectly fine for games!
Re-read Leonidas post, he was referring to the 10900K, not the 10900X. Not even Leonidas could shill for the 10900X.

Hey Gaf. Long time no see.

In order to alleviate boredom during these strange times, I fell back into an old hobby: PC Building. My PC was over 4yrs old and getting a bit long in the tooth (AMD A8-7670k, R7 260x) so I decided it was time to refresh things. However what started as a new graphics card soon turned into a brand new build.

Below is what I finally settled on:

Aero Cool Bolt Mini Micro ATX Case
ASRock B450M-HDV Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 1600(AF)
2 x 8GB Crucial 2666mhz DDR4
Sapphire RX 570 4GB
Intel 660p 512gb M.2 Pcie SSD
Corsair VS550 550W PSU
Antec A30 CPU Cooler
2 x Arctic F12 120mm Fans & 1 x Aercool 120mm fan

I think total cost was around £420. Everything was new bar the GPU which was £65 refurbished off eBay. I'm happy with the build, now I'm trying to justify a new monitor to go with it, but stuck between a 25" 1920x1200 or a 27" 1440p. I'm guessing it's a choice between gaming at high or medium quality with the two resolutions.

Lemme know ya thoughts. I cut corners on the case and memory, however that allowed me to get the m.2 ssd. And also any overclocking tips. I'm aware the 1600AF has scope for OCing but I just want a nice, safe OC and I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere (I'm leaning to 38x @ 1.25v as a starting point?)
zlQbZF2.jpg

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
1600 should reach 4ghz easily, and that is the max you can go though.
I will just leave everything at default, and change the cpu multiplier to 40x and the ram to 2800 for a start.
Use hwmonitor to monitor.

Last edited:
1600 should reach 4ghz easily, and that is the max you can go though.
I will just leave everything at default, and change the cpu multiplier to 40x and the ram to 2800 for a start.
Use hwmonitor to monitor.

Thanks. Will basic crucial ram OC? Would I have to change timings?

Leonidas

Gamers Nexus, one of the best review sites for CPU gaming performance has upgraded their testing method.

This is what a real gaming CPU review looks like, where some CPUs are clearly faster than others, any review that shows Ryzen 3000 tied with Intel over an average of a bunch of games is a GPU test...

Last edited:

Casanova

Monitor resolution & hz?
I don't see a sane GPU upgrade from where you are right now. Can you wait for Ampere/Big Navi?
CPU is okay unless you're aiming for very high FPS. Wouldn't spend there until Ryzen 4000, tbh.

Awesome, and that makes sense. I'm good with running any single-player game on 120fps, but I would love to have max settings. My monitor is 1080p, 240hz with g-sync compatibility. Yes, I can wait for Ampere/Big Navi of course, but I don't really know what those are, when they're releasing, or why I should wait.

Whenever I talk about doing a new PC with my friends they won't stop urging me to buy the parts and build one, or upgrade my current one. It's to the point I can't even get good advice on what to do if I refuse to do that, because no I'm never going to learn how to build a PC. On my current, in 2016 I upgraded the graphics card and it was a mini nightmare for me where I nearly lost screws and crap like that and that was one of the easier things to do allegedly. I'm not necessarily in the market for a new PC right this second but I figured I'd stake my place in here, see how people react to my way of doing things and maybe someday soon really get into what I should be doing to maximize my performance on a new PC for the best price.

PhoenixTank

Awesome, and that makes sense. I'm good with running any single-player game on 120fps, but I would love to have max settings. My monitor is 1080p, 240hz with g-sync compatibility. Yes, I can wait for Ampere/Big Navi of course, but I don't really know what those are, when they're releasing, or why I should wait.
Ampere is Nvidia's next GPU architecture, the 3000 series, and due to be announced on the 14th May. It should be good.
Big Navi is AMD's next set of GPUs. Coming some time this year and also rumoured to be good.
Either way, the idea being that you'll get more performance for your money versus buying say... a 2080 Super.

You'll want to double check whether that monitor has gsync or is "gsync compatible" in the specs. The former's variable rate refresh will only work with Nvidia, the latter with both Nvidia & AMD cards. Sounds like the latter based on your wording.

Whenever I talk about doing a new PC with my friends they won't stop urging me to buy the parts and build one, or upgrade my current one. It's to the point I can't even get good advice on what to do if I refuse to do that, because no I'm never going to learn how to build a PC. On my current, in 2016 I upgraded the graphics card and it was a mini nightmare for me where I nearly lost screws and crap like that and that was one of the easier things to do allegedly. I'm not necessarily in the market for a new PC right this second but I figured I'd stake my place in here, see how people react to my way of doing things and maybe someday soon really get into what I should be doing to maximize my performance on a new PC for the best price.
Explosive, are any of your knowledgeable friends near enough (coronavirus aside) to actually help out or do it for you if you actually bought parts?
Almost always works out as a better deal if possible, which is why a lot of us lean towards DIY rather than OEM prebuilts. There are places that'll build for you if you know (or have been told) what you want.
Happy to answer your questions when you have 'em.

longdi

Banned
Thanks. Will basic crucial ram OC? Would I have to change timings?

You can leave timings as default first. The motherboard should auto-adjust the timings for 2800 for best stability.
I built a 2600 (same core as AF) for a customer last year and it can run all cores 4ghz 2800mhz ram on stock voltage settings. Just 2 changes made in bios. :messenger_bicep:
With Ryzen, once you use manual CPU multiplier, it wont downclock, but it will still downvolt, so i guess you do lose some power savings.
These are their Cinebench R20 result
wRLkEAI.png

HeadsUp7Up

Have you decided on a budget yet? I build my own but looking around it looks like NZXT offers a pretty good service and they don’t charge you an arm and a leg to put it together.

Kenpachii

Faster cores > slower cores

6 core zen 3 will beat a 3900x.
3900x for gaming is a waste of cash. U were better off buying a 9900k at that point as the price was the same. Unless u specifically needed those 4 extra cores for whatever reason.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
3900X is good for next gen games. Series X will use at least 7 cores.
Also 3900X have twice the memory write speeds over a single chiplet zen2.

Seems to give it an edge in games
All as 8 cores at 4ghz

6 core zen3 may improve on that limitation, but who knows. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Kenpachii

3900X is good for next gen games. Series X will use at least 7 cores.
Also 3900X have twice the memory write speeds over a single chiplet zen2.

Seems to give it an edge in games
All as 8 cores at 4ghz

6 core zen3 may improve on that limitation, but who knows. 🤷‍♀️

8 core 3000 series is comparable towards a 6 core 4000 series performance wise. next gen consoles will have 6 cores pc cpu's that are at that time on the market as result.

( this is not gaming performance ) this is theoretical performance of a CPU if a application is 100% written for it. Which never happens with gaming. But it showcases you the raw output of cpu's in comparison. a 3900x is not 2x faster then a 3600x for example, it just has 2x more cores to do 2x more work.

2ea976bf45f47a16f95550c7c9d1b3ac.png

Ryzen 2700 vs ryzen 3600 = 6% difference in favor of ryzen 2700 on multitask r20. which benches all the cores.

Consoles will lock 1 core away and will feature lower clocked cores ( performing ). They are honestly in line with a 6 core ryzen a gen above it at the end of the day when it comes to PC's and even then lose out on it. A 6 core would actually be more faster because more games will perform better with faster cores vs more cores. But also through raw speed that it provides.

With more cpu's coming out after those consoles launch with even faster cores, its very well possible that next gen games will not use more then 6 cores on PC for its entire gen. but could make use of 8 cores if devs care for it. This makes more cores kinda completely useless for gaming and a waste of money and performance. All u see is less usage.

This is also the reason why 10 core intel 10th series are useless as nobody will code for 10 cores much like 12 cores cpu's.

The next step after 8 cores = 16 cores and frankly will devs support it? high unlikely and at the time they will we probably already sit at 4x faster cpu's at that point which makes that cpu completely useless.

The reason why AMD slammed more cores on the 3900 was to make it attractive to people over a 9900k that outperformed it. To give it a reason to exist. and the argument with that is on gaming work loads ( u will get a 18 core intel or even 60 core intel cpu or a 16 core / 32 core threadripper if u cared much about that performance so yea not much of a reason to get it ).

The other suggestion of AMD was streaming and they are right on it. More cores = better for streaming. and gaming on the same setup. however nvidia killed this off with nvenc pretty much entirely which makes those cores again useless, and the people that do care and still use cpu rendering will sit at dedicated stream PC's that are lose away from there gaming PC with its own cpu's or have 16-18 core cpu's. again 10-12 cores are useless.

This is why people say a 6 core 4000 series cpu will outperform a 3900x, and the 3900x really didn't made much sense for any market other then being a marketting tool.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
We shall see!
In more cores more threads i trust!
Look at Techspot 3500(6/6) vs 2600(6/12) vs 3600(6/12) benchmarks.

Also in Ryzen terms, the higher core count higher priced chips, runs higher sustainable frequency.

Compsiox

Banned
Trying to run Deliver Us The Moon with Raytracing on epic with a 1080Ti is like watching a stop motion picture.

God I hope I can run games on Ultra with raytracing at 1440p reasonably on a 3080ti

Last edited:
W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any thoughts on using an Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo vs a Noctua NH-D15 for cooling a 3900x?

Minimal, if any overclocking on the 3900x.

There's a $40 - $50 price difference between the Arctic and the Noctua and I'm wondering if the performance of the Noctua justifies the increased cost.

Also, I'm not too concerned with fan noise. The PC is far enough away that I don't really hear it.

longdi

Banned
How would this happen?

Zen2 design choice/limitation
See the results

5cea865f-c72c-435d-97f3-38205479cd30.PNG

The above graphic illustrates how Zen 2 makes the CCXs independent of the I/O block. It shows a couple of CCX complexes lashed together via Infinity Fabric to create an 8C16T chip complete with 4MB of L2 and 32MB of L3 cache. This modular CCD is then connected to the I/O chip (cIOD) via a high-speed data fabric capable of reading 32 bytes and writing 16 bytes on each clock cycle. That may cause a problem for the memory write speeds when using processors equipped with single CCD - any Ryzen 3000-series with eight or fewer cores - because the data fabric-to-UMC speed, inside the cIOD, is 32 bytes for reads and writes: they don't match.

AMD says that this is a calculated design choice for Zen 2, due to most client workloads not writing as much. Halving the data link write speed between CCD and cIOD saves area, improves power, and has ancillary knock-on benefits, too. The downside is half-write speed because of the slowness of the data fabric in that direction.

The key takeaway is that, because of its relative simplicity, the I/O block can be produced on an older process. That's exactly the case, as while TSMC is the go-to solution for the CCD silicon, GlobalFoundries' 12nm node provides the silicon backbone for the I/O.

onunnuno

Neo Member
AMD official support list, those buying B450 boards may not support Zen3 aka Ryzen 4000! :eek:

Ryzen%203_B550_Press%20Deck_NDA%20Until%20May%207th-page-008.jpg

According to the Slide Ryzen 3000 is not supported by B350 or even A320 which is not the reality we live in. MB vendors can add support if they want to, I don't expect the next generation to be a totally different approach from vendors compared to this generation.

Knch

Zen2 design choice/limitation
See the results

5cea865f-c72c-435d-97f3-38205479cd30.PNG
reading 32 bytes and writing 16 bytes
Sneaky buggers hiding this on their fancy slides. Thanks for pointing it out.

longdi

Banned
According to the Slide Ryzen 3000 is not supported by B350 or even A320 which is not the reality we live in. MB vendors can add support if they want to, I don't expect the next generation to be a totally different approach from vendors compared to this generation.

Bios size limation is cited by Amd.
So if B350 support Ryzen 4000, they may have to drop 1000 support! :eek:

Ascend

Bios size limation is cited by Amd.
So if B350 support Ryzen 4000, they may have to drop 1000 support! :eek:
That's already the case for multiple motherboards. If you currently have a 1000 series CPU, they don't recommend you to upgrade your BIOS past a certain version. The newer BIOS versions are specifically for the newer CPUs, while ditching the optimizations for the older ones.

Leonidas

Sad to see AMD drop support for new CPUs on old motherboards.

X470 got shafted, first PCI-e 4.0 removed by AMD and now it can't even run a CPU 2 gens from it's inception.

Leonidas

No one buys Intel CPUs to run Cinebench, they buy them for gaming, where Intel is not only faster than AMD, but also consuming similar power levels to AMD TSMC/GloFo 7nm + 12nm IO.

Jesb

Can someone help me understand why my hard drive says it’s 2TB on the label but it only shows up as 465? This pc is old not a new build but I was doing some cleaning up and just realized that this drive is actually 2TB... wtf happened here? I’m doing some formatting right now. Formatting all 3 of my drives but it doesn’t matter. It’s still showing as 465. Almost like it’s a 500GB drive. But the label says 2TB..... 😑

Leonidas

Can someone help me understand why my hard drive says it’s 2TB on the label but it only shows up as 465? This pc is old not a new build but I was doing some cleaning up and just realized that this drive is actually 2TB... wtf happened here? I’m doing some formatting right now. Formatting all 3 of my drives but it doesn’t matter. It’s still showing as 465. Almost like it’s a 500GB drive. But the label says 2TB..... 😑

Use a program Intel SSD Toolbox which tells you the drives info (model no. which usually includes the TB number) to see if it's really a 2TB drive.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Leonidas, look away!
10 cores Intel drawing 347W off the wall, just by running Cinebench 20, with AVX disabled.
Albeit overclocked. :eek:

attachment.php

power2.png
I’m wondering how a noctua nh-d14 or 15 would fare trying to keep one of these cool when overclocked...

Leonidas

Imagine buying a 3900x at $500 last year and seeing a $120 4 Core CPU this year come within 5% at 1080p, that's what has occured with the 3300x.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

The only Zen2 CPU I can recommend at this point is the 3300X. In terms of gaming value all other Zen2 CPUs are a joke.

I don't want to hear about "but next-gen has 8C/16T" till the benchmarks show the difference it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Leonidas

It's just too bad AMD had to milk AMD fans for nearly a year while also killing X470 & B450 before they brought a CPU that offers great gaming value.

Last edited:

RealGassy

Banned
Imagine buying a 3900x at $500 last year and seeing a $120 4 Core CPU this year come within 5% at 1080p, that's what has occured with the 3300x.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

The only Zen2 CPU I can recommend at this point is the 3300X. In terms of gaming value all other Zen2 CPUs are a joke.

I don't want to hear about "but next-gen has 8C/16T" till the benchmarks show the difference it doesn't matter.
Anyone who benchmarks CPUs at 1080p ultras is braindead and essentially benchmarking 2080 TI GPU bottlenecks.
Most sites - including Techpowered have no slightest clue what a CPU benchmark looks like.

Edit: Techpowered does have 720p ultra benchmarks, so there is hope. Still doesn't show min FPS, 0.1% percentile and frametime consistency across various CPUs, but at least *something*.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I mean... if you forget the 3600/X ever existed, I guess?

3600x at launch ($250) was abysmal value compared to 3300x. Anyone who bought that got milked.

I recommended some people on this forum buy 3600 but I regret doing so as it now basically has the performance of a $120 CPU.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Man I feel like I may as well just bite the bullet and buy a rtx 2070 super. This freaking generation has been way too long, and I'm getting tired of waiting. I would likely sell the 2070 super after ampere stuff becomes readily available (since the first few months it's either sold out or thr aib versions haven't yet been released).

Currently have a gtx 1070 ti, is this upgrade worth it.

Leonidas

Man I feel like I may as well just bite the bullet and buy a rtx 2070 super. This freaking generation has been way too long, and I'm getting tired of waiting. I would likely sell the 2070 super after ampere stuff becomes readily available (since the first few months it's either sold out or thr aib versions haven't yet been released).

It is a nice upgrade IMO. Most people here would probably say wait but it sounds like you're ready for the upgrade.

PhoenixTank

3600x at launch ($250) was abysmal value compared to 3300x. Anyone who bought that got milked.

I recommended some people on this forum buy 3600 but I regret doing so as it now basically has the performance of a $120 CPU.
Eh, the X was/is a poor choice over the 3600 at $200. But the 3600? Really not that bad, especially against the context of what a 6C/6T Intel i5 would set you back.
Nobody should have buyer's remorse for a 3600, or at least for that reason.
Will be interesting to see if we get a ripple effect from the new parts from both vendors at the low-mid end here.

I'd still wait a week to find out what is/isn't announced with GTC unless you've found an astonishingly good price.

Last edited:

RealGassy

Banned
If you game at 1080p 100% not worth it.

I'm looking at 3300x benchmarks by gamers nexus (still mostly done at ultras so GPU bottlenecked), but at least it has 1% low and 0.1% percentile, as well as frametime consistency measurements (for one game).

It's crazy how close 3300x is to 3600 in many games, at least when not looking at frametime graphs. And matches 7700k stock.

Buying a 4c/8t CPU seems wrong, but this is a great budget CPU.

I would still go for 3600 because I suspect it has better frame time consistency than 3300x and isn't all that much more.

Jesb

Use a program Intel SSD Toolbox which tells you the drives info (model no. which usually includes the TB number) to see if it's really a 2TB drive.

It’s not possible that this app isn’t 100%? I downloaded it and it’s also telling me it’s 465. So it looks like maybe I paid for a 2TB drive and got 500GB instead. 😆.

Leonidas

Eh, the X was/is a poor choice over the 3600 at $200. But the 3600? Really not that bad, especially against the context of what a 6C/6T Intel i5 would set you back.
Nobody should have buyer's remorse for a 3600, or at least for that reason.

I usually recommended the 3600 with a 400 series board (which was made obsolete by AMD today).
I see a lot of upset people online because they unknowingly bought a dead-end AM4 platform since AMD kept that info secret till today...

That is a reason to have buyers remorse. Anyone who took my recommendation on 3600 + 400 series last year is forced to buy a new MOBO and CPU whenever they want to upgrade. Seeing a $120 CPU (3300x) + $100 MOBO (B550) with future upgradeability just makes my budget recommendation last year look even worse. I am embarrassed and ashamed. And if they don't feel buyer's remorse, I feel it for them.

Last edited:
I want a new PC... I don't exactly need one, but I'm on the fence as far as do I want to get something this year or next... I just want my PC to be a decent amount more powerful than the next gen consoles, so I think I should probably wait a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom