• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2020. Ray Tracing. 120Hz-360Hz. Next-Gen Already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenpachii

I agree, i've got a 1600x and was planning an upgrade, but managed to talk myself out of it as even doing gears 5 and division 2 benchmarks, my cpu is still keeping up pretty well. So i'm gonna wait for zen 3 and see how that preforms.

Dunno unless you really need more performance for whatever reason i would just sit on that for a few years until actually something far more faster comes out. Every CPU is kinda meh at this point if you sit already on a 1600.

Kobi

Dunno unless you really need more performance for whatever reason i would just sit on that for a few years until actually something far more faster comes out. Every CPU is kinda meh at this point if you sit already on a 1600.

Yeah that's true. I think right now going by some benchmarks (and obviously depending on the game and your gpu), the jump from a 1600x-3600x will gain you around 20fps.

I'm just dipping my toes back into pc gaming, so I'm still rocking a 1080p monitor. If I start to get more into it then I'll upgrade to 1440p. So for 1080p gaming, my cpu will be totally fine.

Kenpachii

Yeah that's true. I think right now going by some benchmarks (and obviously depending on the game and your gpu), the jump from a 1600x-3600x will gain you around 20fps.

I'm just dipping my toes back into pc gaming, so I'm still rocking a 1080p monitor. If I start to get more into it then I'll upgrade to 1440p. So for 1080p gaming, my cpu will be totally fine.

Planning on buying a 3080ti when it comes out got a 9900k, my resolution = 1080p. enough games still can't push a solid 60 fps even on a 1080ti, go play ac odyssey / red dead redemption and watch your fps disappear on ultra. I will for a long time still sit on 1080p.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
Planning on buying a 3080ti when it comes out got a 9900k, my resolution = 1080p. enough games still can't push a solid 60 fps even on a 1080ti, go play ac odyssey / red dead redemption and watch your fps disappear on ultra. I will for a long time still on 1080p.

I will bookmark your post. Next tome some PCMR idiot will state that all console port run at 60 fps in 4k on a potato PC. 😂

Kazza

Planning on buying a 3080ti when it comes out got a 9900k, my resolution = 1080p. enough games still can't push a solid 60 fps even on a 1080ti, go play ac odyssey / red dead redemption and watch your fps disappear on ultra. I will for a long time still on 1080p.

Is the difference between ultra and high settings enough to sacrifice framerate (or spend money updgrading your GPU)?

Kobi

Haha, I forgot about that game, I've got odyssey. That was the last game I tried before this latest dip. I think once I started knocking the settings down, it just looked like the console version - so I went back to console.

The next game I and most of you have their sights on is cyberpunk. That was my main reason for thinking about upgrading now. A new cpu and mobo, then drop in zen 3 when it arrives. As I do think this virus will have an impact on tech prices. Hopefully the 3080ti is priced more competitively with amd getting better(not including any supply and demand price rises). But I still don't think amd will be that close.

Kenpachii

Is the difference between ultra and high settings enough to sacrifice framerate (or spend money updgrading your GPU)?

Depends on the game.

I could deal with 30 fps and even dips in simulator games which also happens at times in games like skyline cities / anno 1800. Honestly more fps isn't needed in those games even remotely as your screen is mostly standing still. I crank up visuals to the max really in it.

Here's a example, 5,1ghz all cores 9900k gets destroyed:

3b6ee3b2291abba116b38cb02ab90776.jpg

In action games like ac games i want to have a solid 60 fps because it adds aiming and more faster movement speed with lots of screen movement in general. As i will crank up the visual settings especially if it has incredible good looking worlds. For example its absolutely amazing to see egypt come to live on ultra settings even in wild life area's. It looks really good. but also the architecture of buildings etc are godly in that game i want to see it in its full glory. low 60's i could deal with in that game and if i cant get 60 fps i will buy a gpu to push it if the price is decent enough.

While other games that are fast shooters like doom, the only thing that matters is FPS. I could not care for max visual settings in games like that, i need max FPS and 200 fps cap was criminal to say the least. I would call 60 fps in doom unplayable honestly for my taste i would upgrade and scale down visual settings all day long to get maximum FPS. Even if i would have 3080ti with the next doom and it runs at 400 fps, if 1 setting lowering gets me 500 fps i will lower it.

Then it comes down towards what do you find worthy?

For example ac odyssey has low 60's on my 1080ti oc'ed and even dips below 60 at 1% times at ultra settings. Do you care enough to remove that issue by spending 700 more euro's or lower one setting?, yea i will lower that one setting.

While i care enough to buy a 9900k over a 3600 to spend 3x the price on it to gain like what? 15% more performance?. Why do i care? i play super intensive CPU games that favor high clocks as that 3600 ryzen in that anno picture will sit at 20 fps in that scenario, ( it rains complains on there discord of people thinking there super high end PC should run the game at 100fps, while in reality u are lucky to get in these type of games a stable 30 ).

I will bookmark your post. Next tome some PCMR idiot will state that all console port run at 60 fps in 4k on a potato PC. 😂

Some people are full of shit. PC is riddled with those people. Keyboard warriors that bought into something and it's now the second coming of christ. And they will bend all the reality around them to showcase you they are right even so far to upload benchmarks or link benchmarks for laughable sources of youtubers that don't even know what the fuck they are doing 9 out of the 10 times. AMD threads tend to attract that crowd.

Haha, I forgot about that game, I've got odyssey. That was the last game I tried before this latest dip. I think once I started knocking the settings down, it just looked like the console version - so I went back to console.

The next game I and most of you have their sights on is cyberpunk. That was my main reason for thinking about upgrading now. A new cpu and mobo, then drop in zen 3 when it arrives. As I do think this virus will have an impact on tech prices. Hopefully the 3080ti is priced more competitively with amd getting better(not including any supply and demand price rises). But I still don't think amd will be that close.

I would say if you want to upgrade your PC for a game, u better of wait on benchmarks of what the game is going to perform like and then buy it. Witcher 2, needed 2 of the top gpu's of its time to run at 60 fps at 1080p at max settings ( besides ubersampling obvious ), witcher 3, u needed 2x 980's top models to get 60 fps going at 1080p. It's very well possible the 3080 they going to release needs to be in sli to even get 60 fps at 1080p specially with raytracing or even the 3080ti isn't up for the task. We don't know how demanding the game will be at the end.

Its a PC thing that always happens its like the pre-order trap equalivant on console but with hardware pc people, where they upgrade there system endlessly to future proof it for a title that doesn't even come out or gets out generation later where said hardware is already outdated again. I still remember alan wake people buying sli dx10 gpu's for a game that came out 6 years later on PC so yea lol that.

My general rule is, u buy hardware for games that are out right now. And make it as future proof as you want it to be.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Welp got scammed on a second handed site because i took the dive into a super shady deal, so yea was kinda asking for it. So i was like fuck it plumbed another PS5 budget into 2 screens so i got 5 screens in total now.

2x 27 inch IPS panels.

Kinda shit pictures but oh well.

2725edd162933c7fabe614a6e1ac6b67.png

New setup looks something like this in a dark walled room.

8n7RBjG.png

You probably wonder u gotta have a massive table for that, yes i indeed have a massive table that covers a room entirely on one side just for the sake of having enough space to push stuff out.

Now my 1080ti has still 1 connector left free, but gotta wait on the 3080 as for some reason i got the feeling that thing aint going to arrive with 5 display connectors but only with 4 so that will be fine then. I could see 1 more screen happening in the future for my big ass empty wall at this point, but will deal with that once i got this all setup and figured out.

After using 3 screens for about a decade i just felt like its time to move forwards, i need more screens specially with streaming.

Moved to a new room and god forbit iphones get easy ways to transfer a freaking video to your PC so here's a shit tier gif of how it's currently looking.

c2b41305277c8d15eaafc6a9376dbd05.gif

Table is solid wood and i got still like 50% of my table empty so i could space it out a bit more screens from eachother, gotta do some cable management etc etc. But god dam those 27 inch screens with IPS are godly. It's that my main screen is so god dam small 22 inch, that i can't put hte screen further back without text becoming ant size, ( middle screen stands in the middle of the table ( from back to front ) that's how big it is, i cuold replace both side screens with 2 more 27 inch then. But its fine for now.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
upgraded 200mb internet to 600mb!
My old tp link wr1043nd v2 is not enough. It's doing over 600 after restart but drops to below 300 after just few hours.
So I need something else without breaking the bank. The pc is wired, ps4 and smartphones wireless ofcourse. Just a 50m flat so not to big of an area too

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if there are any 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitors with good colors (100% SRGB), but also have 144hz FreeSync? I want an ultrawide monitor for both photo/video editing and have a really high refresh rate (just for general use and a bit of gaming), but can't seem to find this combination.

The closest I've found is the BenQ EX3501R, but that's only 100hz.

Also, do any PC monitors currently do HDR well or are all they are pretty weak?

Last edited by a moderator:

nkarafo

Any news about DDR5 RAM? I want to build a new PC soon and i don't want to have a DDR4 build while DDR5 exists for the majority of the PC's lifetime. I did the same mistake and built a DDR3 PC right before DDR4 was released.

Kobi

Any news about DDR5 RAM? I want to build a new PC soon and i don't want to have a DDR4 build while DDR5 exists for the majority of the PC's lifetime. I did the same mistake and built a DDR3 PC right before DDR4 was released.

Thing is, the performance between DDR3 to 4 was pretty marginal. I'd imagine the same can be said for 4 to 5. DDR5 will be mid to late 2021 at the earliest. Plus have a big price tag. You're better buying now and upgrading in around 3 year's.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Snagged a 2060 for my new 144HZ monitor (yes I know this is more of a 1080p card but I am not looking for Ultra Everything)

Looking forward to giving it a go.

Anki

Banned
Guys I need some help. I have 8gb of ram single channel I want to buy one more 8gb stick, but the thing is they dont have exactly the same memory.
I bought this one: https://www.anhoch.com/product/1711...hyperx-xmp-predator-cl16-rgb-hx432c16pb3ak216, its a rgb ram (I didnt know when I bought it)
anyway they have this one on stock: https://www.anhoch.com/product/5998...ingston-hyperx-xmp-predator-cl16-hx432c16pb38
As I can see its the same ram the only difference is that the one I have has rgb and this one doesn't.
Will they work in dual channel or it has to be exactly the same ram?

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Guys I need some help. I have 8gb of ram single channel I want to buy one more 8gb stick, but the thing is they dont have exactly the same memory.
I bought this one: https://www.anhoch.com/product/1711...hyperx-xmp-predator-cl16-rgb-hx432c16pb3ak216, its a rgb ram (I didnt know when I bought it)
anyway they have this one on stock: https://www.anhoch.com/product/5998...ingston-hyperx-xmp-predator-cl16-hx432c16pb38
As I can see its the same ram the only difference is that the one I have has rgb and this one doesn't.
Will they work in dual channel or it has to be exactly the same ram?
Going on the datasheets they look to be exactly the same but just one has the rgb heatspreader instead.
That doesn't stop them from swapping out the actual chips or anything as long as they're to spec but I think it is a reasonably safe bet.

Adam_802

Recently removed my front panel for better airflow. Its great, but now I just have a magnetic dust filter on the front, covering the 3 intake fans. Was wondering if that's enough to keep dust out. I'll clean out the dust filter regularly, of course. I assume it's fine, just wanted to hear other's opinions. Is having only a magnetic dust filter on the front similar in effect to having a mesh front panel?

The filter looks like this in terms of density: (not pics of my actual pc)

https://www.techbuy.com.au/images/extra/42/P422626-i5.jpg

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-34c28f9e274aa0508cf6a605fb0132e9.webp

ZywyPL

Banned
IMO it's a really bad/terrible time for upgrading the PC, with next-gen consoles just around the corner and upcoming NV and AMD GPUs there's no point in not holding back for half a year or so.

And LMAO at all the butthurt AMD fanboys in the thread xD Not all games use 12/16/24/32 threads, actually, most don't, and those Intel's 5GHz clocks do help a lot as oppose to AMD's barely 4, that's the reality. Until next-gen consoles show up and move up the baseline, and games will actually be made for 16 threads from the ground up, AMD will remain a second tier offer when it comes strictly to gaming.

Console + TV + multiple 60$ dollar games -> that's expensive !

Most people on the planet already have a TV, because it's a standalone device with its own function/purpose, as oppose to PC monitor which without a PC is completely useless (who would have thought!). And games on PC don't come for free unless you pirate them. Which still, 60 bucks every now and then is not the same as 3/4/5k at once, this cost will never break even, even if you don't spend a single penny on games. Not to mention consoles do have sales as well.

Mhmmm 2077

Hey all, so my plan was to build a new PC *right now*, just before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out (been planning to build a beast PC for CP77 since 2013, lol), but it's coming out in September now... so I'm thinking, should I buy Ryzen 7 3700X + Radeon RX 5700XT (would it make any sense to buy 3800X instead? even for future-proofing?) before September 2020 or should I wait for Zen 3 + RDNA 2 and buy these? I'm leaning towards the second option, but what are the chances that these next gen parts will come out still in 2020? and how soon/late? Any idea when AMD might announce release dates for next CPUs and GPUs?

Mhmmm 2077

Welp, can't edit my message after 5 minutes, so I will add more here:

I already have a 1080p144hz screen on which I game 90% of the time, a secondary 4k60hz screen, on which I mostly watch Netflix, rarely game, mostly games that are either locked to 30fps, so I am able to run 4k with current setup (hd 7970 ghz) or simply older games, but with new PC that might change, I plan to play CP77 at highest settings (minus novideo gimpworks) at 1080p144 or 4k60, whichever will be more stable to achieve. Also I have a third 1080p60hz screen which... I don't really use, I have some consoles connected to it right now.

For new PC I plan to spend ~1100€, but knowing what's the VAT in my country, it's fine if it goes to 1500€, would that be enough for a Ryzen 4000 series (3700x/3800x equivalent) + high end RDNA 2 + 16GB (or should I go for 32GB?) DDR4 @ 3200MHz? And obviously any pc case that has a good air flow and a proper PSU.

PhoenixTank

And LMAO at all the butthurt AMD fanboys in the thread xD Not all games use 12/16/24/32 threads, actually, most don't, and those Intel's 5GHz clocks do help a lot as oppose to AMD's barely 4, that's the reality. Until next-gen consoles show up and move up the baseline, and games will actually be made for 16 threads from the ground up, AMD will remain a second tier offer when it comes strictly to gaming.
The OP post was apparently significantly different at the start, if that is what you are referring to. This thread is pretty neutral ground so probably not the best place for anyone to ride in and shout "lolol fanboys!", eh? We have enough of that on GAF with all the console stuff right now.
Hey all, so my plan was to build a new PC *right now*, just before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out (been planning to build a beast PC for CP77 since 2013, lol), but it's coming out in September now... so I'm thinking, should I buy Ryzen 7 3700X + Radeon RX 5700XT (would it make any sense to buy 3800X instead? even for future-proofing?) before September 2020 or should I wait for Zen 3 + RDNA 2 and buy these? I'm leaning towards the second option, but what are the chances that these next gen parts will come out still in 2020? and how soon/late? Any idea when AMD might announce release dates for next CPUs and GPUs?
I think the current rumour is October for the new AMD stuff, which could easily be delayed given everything going on. Possibly similar for Nvidia GPUs - GTC being cancelled has thrown a spanner in the works for news there.
Hard to advise. How dissatisfied are you with your current setup? GPU is really the sticking point here as we're in the doldrums between releases right now.
You could stagger it and get a new CPU/motherboard and such now, and a GPU later but depending on how painful your rig is right now I don't know if that is worthwhile.
Anything you get now sounds like it is going to be a massive jump, but waiting until the game is known and benched will allow you to see what hardware really works best for CP2077. I don't wish this upon you, but maybe your 7970 will die and make the decision for you - at some point, you gotta buy!

Last edited:
I plan to go PC nextgen (+Switch), mostly for VR and because of the ever growing censorship on consoles. I've informed myself a bit already. Just wondering about the gpu: Do you think a RTX 2070 Super will be enough for nextgen games like GTA6, the next Elder Scrolls and such?

I'm waiting for Nvidia's new gpus either way, because either I'll go with a 3000-series gpu or the 2000-series should get cheaper. But it all depends on what's enough power for nextgen (at 1440p resolution).

Thx

Leonidas

Do you think a RTX 2070 Super will be enough for nextgen games like GTA6, the next Elder Scrolls and such?

I'm waiting for Nvidia's new gpus either way, because either I'll go with a 3000-series gpu or the 2000-series should get cheaper. But it all depends on what's enough power for nextgen (at 1440p resolution).

Thx

At 1440p yes, the 2070 Super should last a very long time at that resolution.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I already told my special lady - IF college football is cancelled or played without fans this fall, I'm taking our entire season ticket/tailgate budget and building a badass PC to play Cyberpunk.

Mhmmm 2077

I want to ask something... is any of you planning to stay on 1080p for next gen? I'm asking cus I have 2 screens right now, 1080p144 and 4k60, but I prefer to game on the 144hz one and I'm not sure if it's worth getting a monster PC for that (I will anyway, for Cyberpunk)

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I want to ask something... is any of you planning to stay on 1080p for next gen? I'm asking cus I have 2 screens right now, 1080p144 and 4k60, but I prefer to game on the 144hz one and I'm not sure if it's worth getting a monster PC for that (I will anyway, for Cyberpunk)

Not really an exact answer to your question but I just got a 1440p 165hz screen and I love it have no plans on upgrading to 4k for a while

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I moved to 4k 60hz freesync year ago. Not a huge fan of high refresh rate but like nice graphics. 1080p is still fine though

Anki

Banned

I am planing to get a new monitor in the upcoming months and the one I am looking for is budget AOC 1080p 144hz. So yeah i am staying on 1080p.

I am hoping that nvidia dlss will be implemented in all future games so i wont need expensive gpu to play next gen games.

kiphalfton

How does the i7-6700k fare in 2020? Am I good waiting until 7nm intel comes out, or what? Would prefer not upgrading my CPU just yet, as I would have to also buy a new mobo. Was hoping to upgrade to ampere (from a GTX 1070 Ti), but don't want to lose too much performance due to my current CPU.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How does the i7-6700k fare in 2020? Am I good waiting until 7nm intel comes out, or what? Would prefer not upgrading my CPU just yet, as I would have to also buy a new mobo. Was hoping to upgrade to ampere (from a GTX 1070 Ti), but don't want to lose too much performance due to my current CPU.

I'm on a 6700k, too, with my main gaming rig and the difference in gaming performance between it and a 9900k seem to be quite small in most cases when paired with a powerful GPU.

That could change with ports of next-gen games, though, since the consoles will *finally* have fairly powerful 8-core processors in them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murr

Would love to give advice, but will will wait until 2020 at the least. Maybe even 2021. Int he end the new consoles will dictate what kind of hardware pd gamers have to target.
Originally wanted to upgrade this year, but i decided to wait for now.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I'll probably buy a new one once Rocket Lake and Zen3 launch. New architecture from both AMD and Intel scheduled later this year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to build a new rig as soon as the next gen of GTX cards are readily available. Probably going with a 3080 Ti and a 3950x combination unless the Intel 10th gen desktop CPUs somehow are a better value.

pesaddict

Banned
Is there still a common consensus that Nvidia cards work better with Intel processors? Or has that long been debunked as myth.

I know that nvidia GPU's tend to be more efficient, run cooler and quieter than AMD.

Not sure if AMD CPU's still run hotter than Intel though.

What would £1200-£1400 get me these days ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there still a common consensus that Nvidia cards work better with Intel processors? Or has that long been debunked as myth.

I know that nvidia GPU's tend to be more efficient, run cooler and quieter than AMD.

Not sure if AMD CPU's still run hotter than Intel though.

What would £1200-£1400 get me these days ?

A lot has changed since AMD introduced the Ryzen CPU line and especially the 2nd generation (Ryzen 3000 series). There's really no downside to running Ryzen + Nvidia vs. Intel + Nvidia.

kiphalfton

I'm on a 6700k, too, with my main gaming rig and the difference in gaming performance between it and a 9900k seem to be quite small in most cases when paired with a powerful GPU.

That could change with ports of next-gen games, though, since the consoles will *finally* have fairly powerful 8-core processors in them.

Conflicted, as I have the Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p/144hz monitor, and it looks like there's a bit of a difference at 1440p.

However, only way I would buy anything this year is if I were to sell my rig I have now. I'm doubtful anybody is going to buy it for what I would be asking ($900)... since 10th gen intel CPU's and ryzen 3000 series CPU's make the i7-6700k a hard sale (at least in my opinion).

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Which scree
I'm going to build a new rig as soon as the next gen of GTX cards are readily available. Probably going with a 3080 Ti and a 3950x combination unless the Intel 10th gen desktop CPUs somehow are a better value.
Damn that will be a beast.

Captn

Already have the 3950x and yes it's a beast! Waiting for the 3080ti too!

QZYSBCp.jpg

QgHUgLq.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Conflicted, as I have the Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p/144hz monitor, and it looks like there's a bit of a difference at 1440p.

However, only way I would buy anything this year is if I were to sell my rig I have now. I'm doubtful anybody is going to buy it for what I would be asking ($900)... since 10th gen intel CPU's and ryzen 3000 series CPU's make the i7-6700k a hard sale (at least in my opinion).

I dunno. A difference of 5 ~ 15 frames when you're already above 80 FPS isn't worth it the $700 ~ $900 (not to mention hassle of doing a new build an reinstalling everything) it would cost to make a meaningful upgrade. Not to me at least.

Leonidas

They do in the majority of games, but that's because Intel CPUs are faster in gaming. Even AMD cards run faster on Intel CPUs in the majority of games, unless you create a GPU bottleneck.

AMD CPUs have narrowed the gap every year since Zen launch though. Maybe they'll be on par with Intel in this area with Zen3, or Zen4...

K.N.W.

I'm debating with a friend of my mine on how to build a next gen proof PC.
I insist that the right way to deal with it is to get at least an i7 10900K or a Ryzen 3900X, so that you have either enough cores to match consoles, enoguh power in each, and some spare cores for decompression, since new consoles have separated blocks dealing with that. He insists that consoles have nothing to do PCs. He's planning on getting a 3800X, a stronger CPU than the ones inside PS5/XSX, but he doesn't want to accept that someday, with the arrival of games that are both CPU heavy and rely on lots of streaming, he would get bottlenecked. He also doesn't want to change CPU for at least 6 years. TBH I think that for 2020/21 he might even play with higher framerates than consoles, since games aren't still that CPU heavy (developer are still targeting 8 low-powered Jaguar cores), but when Next Gen starts kicking heavy, he would suffer massive crippling. Those custom decompressors are going to be missed a lot on pc. IMHO we should all target at least 10 powerfull cores, if we want our machines to deal well with new games.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

This one includes cpu results at stock as well as a few overclocked numbers. Great resource for anyone here with older systems looking to find where their CPU stacks up, IMHO.
I insist that the right way to deal with it is to get at least an i7 10900x or a Ryzen 3900X, so that you have either enough cores to match consoles, enoguh power in each, and some spare cores for decompression, since new consoles have separated blocks dealing with that.
Which chip do you actually mean above? The i9 HEDT 10 core part? Even against the new Comet Lake desktop stuff the 10900X is a literal waste of money in almost all use cases. Replace with i9-10900K I'd say.

As for your theory: honestly hard to say for the right now. Not personally following the console wars in detail, but note the lower CPU clocks on those boxes. I'd also bring your attention to the decompression performance of Zen 2. I'm unsure if comparable, but it stomps those metrics with 7zip decompression at least.

Waiting for something with more than 8 cores and a better architecture/IPC this year or next would be the best way to maintain the PC advantage.
If this is more than theory and you can't wait, then you and your friend do what you gotta do.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I insist that the right way to deal with it is to get at least an i7 10900x or a Ryzen 3900X, so that you have either enough cores to match consoles, enoguh power in each, and some spare cores for decompression, since new consoles have separated blocks dealing with that. He insists that consoles have nothing to do PCs. He's planning on getting a 3800X, a stronger CPU than the ones inside PS5/XSX, but he doesn't want to accept that someday, with the arrival of games that are both CPU heavy and rely on lots of streaming, he would get bottlenecked. He also doesn't want to change CPU for at least 6 years. TBH I think that for 2020/21 he might even play with higher framerates than consoles, since games aren't still that CPU heavy (developer are still targeting 8 low-powered Jaguar cores), but when Next Gen starts kicking heavy, he would suffer massive crippling. Those custom decompressors are going to be missed a lot on pc. IMHO we should all target at least 10 powerfull cores, if we want our machines to deal well with new games.
If he want's something that will last him 6 years the 3900X is likely better as more games begin to take advantage of more cores.

BTW, there is no such CPU as the i7 10900X, you are likely referring to the i7 10700K. The 10900X is an entirely different CPU that is not worth it and was pretty much trashed in reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom