• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I reckon so, yeah - it was one of those 'oh shit need a fix now' moments at first, but it's not wise to rush such a big purchase and I know I'm capable enough to build it myself.

Ended up saving £400 off the grand total in the end, which gave me wiggle room for some nicer parts. Should work out quicker too, since it's all shipping immediately.

The final specs:
Case: Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower, White
Mobo: MSI X570-A Pro
PSU: Corsair RM850x, White
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon 6900XT
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz, White RGB
Rad: Corsair H150i Capellix 360mm, White RGB
Fans: 4x Corsair QL140, White RGB
M2: WD Black SN850 500GB

Along with some fancy braided cabling for the PSU and drives, and the 4x HDDs and 2x SSDs from my old machine.

Final cost was ~£2800 including VAT. Definitely not cheap, but business is good enough that it won't end up putting me on the street.

So it should work out to be quite a beast - the 5950X is a bit overkill for gaming since it favours core count over raw clocks, but should be a boon for compile times and other game dev stuff. The white parts + RGB is pretty ostentatious too, but it's the first time I've had the option so I figure it beats a black box.

My only regret is not being able to hunt down a radiator with 3x 140mm fans for the lower Db, but that seems to be approaching custom enthusiast territory.

What a beauty of a build! Enjoy.
I was able to grab a RTX 3070 ti from Best Buy for $750 today.

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather
GG! What a great card. Always been a fan of gigabyte GPUs as well.
qyCjkW9.jpg

2nd 1440p monitor 2 much? So I can watch YouTube and play destiny…

This looks amazing. I'm looking for an ultra wide but can't make a decision and pull the trigger yet. What model is that? I need g sync etc. Thought I wanted the alienware but I've been out off with the weird pixel structure, fan noise and waiting times.

//DEVIL//

Different people have interpretations of what 'good state' means.

Imo upgrading your components every couple of years is 'keeping up with the latest and greatest tech', and isnt something that the majority of PC gamers do - only enthusiasts.

Especially if you're playing at 1080p/1440p, and don't 'need' to play every game on extreme graphics settings. In these cases upgrading your GPU every couple of years isn't necessary. Upgrading your CPU/RAM every couple of years is just needless.
if I am not playing at extreme graphics then might as well just spend 500$ on a console.

Sadly I am one of those who got into PC for extreme graphics.

Now I can understand if its a big new AAA game that is a next gen game and very demanding I might need to reduce something. but not to the point where its gonna look like a PS5 game :/

Topher

Gold Member
if I am not playing at extreme graphics then might as well just spend 500$ on a console.

Now I can understand if its a big new AAA game that is a next gen game and very demanding I might need to reduce something. but not to the point where its gonna look like a PS5 game :/

For me, it isn't so much about extreme graphics as it is keyboard and mouse gaming. Not to say graphics are not important. Hardly. I wouldn't have bought a 3070 ti if that were the case. But I'm definitely in the mid to low high range and that's fine by me. It is a worthy investment not to have to play games like Cyberpunk 2077 with a goddamn controller.

Side note: seriously consoles.....get your head out of your ass when it comes to first person games. This shouldn't be hard.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What a beauty of a build! Enjoy.

GG! What a great card. Always been a fan of gigabyte GPUs as well.

This looks amazing. I'm looking for an ultra wide but can't make a decision and pull the trigger yet. What model is that? I need g sync etc. Thought I wanted the alienware but I've been out off with the weird pixel structure, fan noise and waiting times.
Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo. Mini Led and is super ultra wide 32:9 aspect ratio. Like 2 27inch 1440ps next to each other. Need a beefy card for it (3080ti here) so beware.

Hezekiah

Banned

Outside of Red Dead Redemption, and possibly Cyberpunk on high/ultra settings, Horizon Forbidden West looks better than anything on PC imo.

I much prefer to have the flexibility. Some games are just better on console.

//DEVIL//

Outside of Red Dead Redemption, and possibly Cyberpunk on high/ultra settings, Horizon Forbidden West looks better than anything on PC imo.

I much prefer to have the flexibility. Some games are just better on console.
that's... your opinion ^_^..

Also good arts and good developers working on one eco system will usually result good visuals ( in PlayStation case ) . But any multiplatform game on PS5 vs PC.... yeah not even close lol.

Topher

Gold Member

Also good arts and good developers working on one eco system will usually result good visuals ( in PlayStation case ) . But any multiplatform game on PS5 vs PC.... yeah not even close lol.

I agree with that. First party games get special attention. Multiplayer games are going to benefit from the overall power of PC nearly every time.

Hezekiah

Banned

It's a lot of people's opinion 👍.

And again you're talking about PC like it's a single configuration which of course it isnt. A high-end PC will always have the advantage, but for the hardware a lot of PC gamers are rocking, a PS5 multiplatform game will look as good, or even better.

Dream-Knife

Banned
For reference there are 5700x vs 5600x vids already up :

In red dead the .1% lows for 5600x came to 52 while it was 67 on 5700x.

And if you don't remember or want to acknowledge ; minimum fps can go lower than .1% lows and this is the most visible stutter.
respectfully, I don't wish to discuss "you only need x amount of cores" anymore.

Yep, I had been refreshing yt waiting for it! 🙂

I'm very impressed with the results, wow. Some of the tests like blender had the 5700x at half the watts as 5800x! That is amazing feat on the same node/architecture.

Yes sir. Just like he said, this is the perfect upgrade for someone who was already on am4 and wants the most longevity out of it.

299 isn't bad, but I will wait for sales, at least a little bit, but I admit I want to buy it now lol

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yep, I had been refreshing yt waiting for it! 🙂

I'm very impressed with the results, wow. Some of the tests like blender had the 5700x at half the watts as 5800x! That is amazing feat on the same node/architecture.

Yes sir. Just like he said, this is the perfect upgrade for someone who was already on am4 and wants the most longevity out of it.

299 isn't bad, but I will wait for sales, at least a little bit, but I admit I want to buy it now lol
He still recommended the 5600 for just gaming.

He still recommended the 5600 for just gaming.
For value. There are games that use the extra cores right now, and he even said it's a good move for people looking for more longevity. I'm starting to wonder what kind of problem you may have.

What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to do to think two more cores and 4 threads aren't going to be useful? Change your tune.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
For value. There are games that use the extra cores right now, and he even said it's a good move for people looking for more longevity. I'm starting to wonder what kind of problem you may have.

What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to do to think two more cores and 4 threads aren't going to be useful? Change your tune.

GN does say 5600 achieves 90 to 95% of the performance of the 5700x/5800x. He goes on to say that the money saved by getting the 5600 would be better served going towards a better GPU, better storage, or even other quality of life upgrades.

GN also says those additional cores can be useful but more for a "production user" which is beyond gaming. So I'm curious to know what games you are speaking of that use those extra cores now. We could find some benchmarks that might help with the point you are making.

Last edited:
GN does say 5600 achieves 90 to 95% of the performance of the 5700x/5800x.
And that alone is enough reason to get the 8 core. It's not nothing. But it's not just that simple, because again the additional cores are for future headroom as well as if you want to maybe run videos in the background or anything while gaming ; I have more headroom than your 5600x.

Let's have a good faith argument here, so please just don't try and justify your savings because I'm not interested. Starting with the video review you quoted that 90 to 95% from ; at 21:20 he refers to people that already had an amd Mobo and only have to buy a cpu and nothing else, well that's me guy. 🙂 I purposely bought a nice Mobo for the ability to get a better 8 core cpu (current cpu is 6 core zen+ arch), so I knew what I was doing.

The context of what he says is based on people having to budget, and what games need right now ; a 6 core with smt is much better than a 4 core with smt, and an 8 core shows diminishing returns in comparison to 6 > 4.

As I've told the other user (who I've put on ignore) this is a matter of future proofing and headroom, because I'm likely not going to do a whole new build for more than 3 years. We will see more and more games take advantage of additional cores in that time, and as cross gen dies games will get heavier on cpu as well. I want to shoot for 120fps, not just 60 as well.

Topher

Gold Member
And that alone is enough reason to get the 8 core. It's not nothing. But it's not just that simple, because again the additional cores are for future headroom as well as if you want to maybe run videos in the background or anything while gaming ; I have more headroom than your 5600x.

Let's have a good faith argument here, so please just don't try and justify your savings because I'm not interested. Starting with the video review you quoted that 90 to 95% from ; at 21:20 he refers to people that already had an amd Mobo and only have to buy a cpu and nothing else, well that's me guy. 🙂 I purposely bought a nice Mobo for the ability to get a better 8 core cpu (current cpu is 6 core zen+ arch), so I knew what I was doing.

The context of what he says is based on people having to budget, and what games need right now ; a 6 core with smt is much better than a 4 core with smt, and an 8 core shows diminishing returns in comparison to 6 > 4.

As I've told the other user (who I've put on ignore) this is a matter of future proofing and headroom, because I'm likely not going to do a whole new build for more than 3 years. We will see more and more games take advantage of additional cores in that time, and as cross gen dies games will get heavier on cpu as well. I want to shoot for 120fps, not just 60 as well.

No one that I know of said there are no use cases in which more cores make sense. Dream-Knife Dream-Knife correctly said GN recommended the 5600 "for gaming". He factually did. Yes, you are correct he made a caveat for those buying for an existing MB. Just as he did for someone streaming or doing other things in the background. But strictly for gaming, he said those additional cores are something you will not notice in games. GN calls the 5700x/5800x a "narrow focus for where it is most applicable".

So yes, all good points on use cases where those extra cores come into play. But frankly, I think you could make those points without taking things personally and putting others on ignore for something so trivial.

Dr.D00p

Urrrghh..Its Steve 'why use 10 words to say something when 500 will do' Burke.

Seriously, this guy waffles on so much, talking but saying virtually nothing, I had to unsubscribe from the channel.

Being overly verbose on a subject should not be confused for expertise.

No one that I know of said there are no use cases in which more cores make sense. Dream-Knife Dream-Knife correctly said GN recommended the 5600 "for gaming". He factually did. Yes, you are correct he made a caveat for those buying for an existing MB. Just as he did for someone streaming or doing other things in the background. But strictly for gaming, he said those additional cores are something you will not notice in games. GN calls the 5700x/5800x a "narrow focus for where it is most applicable".

So yes, all good points on use cases where those extra cores come into play. But frankly, I think you could make those points without taking things personally and putting others on ignore for something so trivial.
But I dismiss the "strictly for gaming" sentiment because everyone does more than just game on PC, and having headroom to do other things in the background is important to avoid stutter.

Again though, the context is for today's games 6 cores is the sweet spot. That's for right now, and more so if you're never doing anything in the background which I would guess we all do at some point, certainly myself anyway. Sooner or later this'll shift to 8 cores for the sweet spot just as it has gone from 4 to 6.

It's not so trivial as I have asked the user in this very thread to not discuss this with me as we have multiple times before because he has tried to make a point that more cores are useless which I am not entertaining anymore. I tried to ask respectfully but yes it got a little annoying.

I never disputed that 6 cores are the sweet spot for games, from a value standpoint currently, however.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
But I dismiss the "strictly for gaming sentiment" because everyone does more than just game on PC, and having headroom to do other things in the background is important to avoid stutter.

Not everyone does more than just game on a PC while gaming though. Personally, I make it a habit of closing other programs when I'm playing a game. I'd do that regardless of how many cores I have. But yes, if you need things going on in the background then it makes sense.

Again though, the context is for today's games 6 cores is the sweet spot. That's for right now, and more so if you're never doing anything in the background which frankly we all do at some point. Sooner or later this'll shift to 8 cores for the sweet spot.

I imagine at that point channels like GN will be saying so as the benchmarks will be showing as much. Until then....

Not everyone does more than just game on a PC while gaming though. Personally, I make it a habit of closing other programs when I'm playing a game. I'd do that regardless of how many cores I have. But yes, if you need things going on in the background then it makes sense.
You never even listen to YouTube while gaming? Like in open world games for example? What about scheduled PC maintenance even? This why Intel put E cores in their new processors.

imagine at that point channels like GN will be saying so as the benchmarks will be showing as much. Until then....
Well as I said there is already a percentage difference but when the sweet spot shifts what will you do? You will surely make a whole new build with new mobo, which is what I want to avoid for longer.

Either way there's nothing wrong with but I like to build the system for longevity... Gpu is easily swappable but cpu and Mobo are more of a hassle/costly.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You never even listen to YouTube while gaming? Like in open world games for example? What about scheduled PC maintenance even? This why Intel put E cores in their new processors.

Nah, I use my iPad for videos. But even watching youtube on the PC is going to use very little of the CPU. And if someone like me is playing games at 1440p or higher then none of these CPUs are going to be strained at all.

What PC maintenance would I be doing while gaming?

Well as I said there is already a percentage difference but when the sweet spot shifts what will you do? You will surely make a whole new build with new mobo, which is what I want to avoid for longer.

Yeah, when my CPU won't cut it anymore then I'll buy a new motherboard and CPU. And at that point, I'll do exactly what I'm doing now. Buy the best motherboard/CPU combo at the time. Nothing wrong, though, with your approach either. This isn't a right/wrong scenario.

Last edited:
Nah, I use my iPad for videos. But even watching youtube on the PC is going to use very little of the CPU. And if someone like me is playing games at 1440p or higher then none of these CPUs are going to be strained at all.

What PC maintenance would I be doing while gaming?

Yeah, when my CPU won't cut it anymore then I'll buy a new motherboard and CPU. And at that point, I'll do exactly what I'm doing now. Buy the best motherboard/CPU combo at the time. Nothing wrong, though, with your approach either. This isn't a right/wrong scenario.
Well by maintenance I mean updates/installs... yeah you can schedule for them when you're not using the PC but sometimes in my experience sometimes they would try to push through and it hurt performance like on an i5 7400 I used. By YT I mostly mean music but every bit of performance used counts. And yeah I close tabs as well when not in use.

And yeah your approach isn't wrong all I'm saying is I don't like to switch as often. Also this might be me but I like to wait as long as possible to upgrade partially because I like seeing huge improvements with my upgrades... Like the 5700x is going to be around 60% faster (probably more since my current processor will not run my ram at 3200mhz) than my 1600af in single core but with 2 extra cores it's basically
twice the performance under full load.

My next full build I would like a similar jump so I'll be waiting for a while I'm sure.

manfestival

Seriously, this guy waffles on so much, talking but saying virtually nothing, I had to unsubscribe from the channel.

yeah i agree, their videos could be like 5-10 minutes shorter in many cases if he was more direct to the point with stuff but the quality of the content outside of the dragged out nature of his talking is top tier

Topher

Gold Member
yeah i agree, their videos could be like 5-10 minutes shorter in many cases if he was more direct to the point with stuff but the quality of the content outside of the dragged out nature of his talking is top tier

I think it is just his personality to be very thorough. But you are right in that his content is top notch and he seems more down to earth than some of the flashier guys out there. JayzTwoCents is also very good.

Kenpachii

half the shit they test and talk about in those cpu benchmarks are just filler really. U could do a benchmark in like 3 minutes and be done with it. Just showcase sheets and explain why it happens in 10 different games that are all cpu bound with settings that hit cpu bound scenario's. Something they also don't like to do.

Dream-Knife

Banned

I don't find he does that at all. He's thorough, which is nice for a review.

I imagine at that point channels like GN will be saying so as the benchmarks will be showing as much. Until then....
Even having things open, unless they are doing something, don't impact the CPU really. I'll have discord open, and often a second desktop with 50 brave tabs, wsl2, vscode, and some other stuff running and it hasn't effected my performance at all. Just uses memory. I don't stream though, so maybe that has more of an impact. I will record gaming sometimes with the built in Nvidia record function, but that doesn't seem to have an impact either.

I play at 1440p though, so I'm GPU bottlenecked.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't find he does that at all. He's thorough, which is nice for a review.

Even having things open, unless they are doing something, don't impact the CPU really. I'll have discord open, and often a second desktop with 50 brave tabs, wsl2, vscode, and some other stuff running and it hasn't effected my performance at all. Just uses memory. I don't stream though, so maybe that has more of an impact. I will record gaming sometimes with the built in Nvidia record function, but that doesn't seem to have an impact either.

I play at 1440p though, so I'm GPU bottlenecked.

The resolution makes a big difference. I'm guessing that is probably the reason why most CPU benchmarks use games running at 1080p.

vpance

Whatever it is with these AMD drivers released in the last couple months, I haven't been able to use stand by anymore, since it just black screens on resume. Maybe it's because I'm connected to a receiver over HDMI instead of direct to the TV.

Now with this latest one I get random BSODs or auto repair loops on start up. So I have to roll back an old driver from May 2021. Never had a single issue like this with Nvidia.

I see nothing has changed in the 15 years I last had an AMD card. Shit drivers forever.

The resolution makes a big difference. I'm guessing that is probably the reason why most CPU benchmarks use games running at 1080p.
A few modern games are still bottlenecked at 1440p but not many. Hitman 2 was. But yeah that's why tests are done at 1080p.

And obviously a lot of older games are that only use a few cores.

For a while reviewers even tested at 720p, but understandably people were like "who the hell would use a 7700k at 720p?!?" Lol but personally I wouldn't mind seeing that 720p data because it's interesting.

GreatnessRD

Whatever it is with these AMD drivers released in the last couple months, I haven't been able to use stand by anymore, since it just black screens on resume. Maybe it's because I'm connected to a receiver over HDMI instead of direct to the TV.

Now with this latest one I get random BSODs or auto repair loops on start up. So I have to roll back an old driver from May 2021. Never had a single issue like this with Nvidia.

I see nothing has changed in the 15 years I last had an AMD card. Shit drivers forever.
What AMD card are you using? The 6800 XT is my first AMD card and I haven't had any trouble with it aside from these last two driver updates 22.4.1 and previous. Couldn't record and take pictures, was pretty wild. But so far another DDU was able to do the trick. Don't know what AMD was trippin' on, lol.

Nvidia drivers were decent as well. I had a view hiccups with them as well, but nothing too crazy either.

vpance

What AMD card are you using? The 6800 XT is my first AMD card and I haven't had any trouble with it aside from these last two driver updates 22.4.1 and previous. Couldn't record and take pictures, was pretty wild. But so far another DDU was able to do the trick. Don't know what AMD was trippin' on, lol.

Nvidia drivers were decent as well. I had a view hiccups with them as well, but nothing too crazy either.

6800XT also. I don't know for sure if 22.4.1 really killed my boot up or if it was from a botched shut down but I was finally able to rollback on both my Windows installs. Just don't get what they did that made stand by unusable for me with these last couple driver releases. I'm hoping an EDID adapter I have on the way can help with that.

Apart from the above there's the random rare driver crashes too. And a weird issue where videos playing in browser tabs are paused for 0.5s when I switch between them. I'll give them a thumbs up for making Adrenalin control panel look pretty, I guess. lol

Dream-Knife

Banned
6800XT also. I don't know for sure if 22.4.1 really killed my boot up or if it was from a botched shut down but I was finally able to rollback on both my Windows installs. Just don't get what they did that made stand by unusable for me with these last couple driver releases. I'm hoping an EDID adapter I have on the way can help with that.

Apart from the above there's the random rare driver crashes too. And a weird issue where videos playing in browser tabs are paused for 0.5s when I switch between them. I'll give them a thumbs up for making Adrenalin control panel look pretty, I guess. lol
Yeah I had a ton of problems with my 6800. Started doing this when I RMA'd it. They didn't find any issue, but replaced the card. I sold the replacement card.
Mq0fCuM.jpg

GreatnessRD

Whole time I thought this was just my browser doing it. Now that I think about it, I didn't have that slight milisecond pause when I had a 3060 Ti. Guess just hope they continue to improve upon. I'm still very happy with the 6800 XT.
Yeah I had a ton of problems with my 6800. Started doing this when I RMA'd it. They didn't find any issue, but replaced the card. I sold the replacement card.
That's crazy they didn't find anything especially with that proof you showed. At least you sold it. What did you wind up grabbing after you sold the 6800?

Topher

Gold Member
Best Buy having a short sale on a 5800x 3080 prebuilt Omen for $1850

Own this exact machine and its great but will run hot if pushed hard but adding some airflow helped greatly.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...080-1tb-ssd-jet-black/6487503.p?skuId=6487503

It is a nice looking rig. Love the all-black interior. Pretty slick. But yeah, don't care for the fan setup. Looks like a single intake fan and single outtake.. Not enough fans in either direction, imo, but if I'm water cooling then I'd would think the radiator would be the intake so you are not pushing internal hot air through it.

So you were able to add more fans?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It is a nice looking rig. Love the all-black interior. Pretty slick. But yeah, don't care for the fan setup. Looks like a single intake fan and single outtake.. Not enough fans in either direction, imo, but if I'm water cooling then I'd would think the radiator would be the intake so you are not pushing internal hot air through it.

So you were able to add more fans?
When I first got it I installed two additional fans one in the bottom and one in the front and it helped it but it’s still hit thermal throttling when I pushed 4K 160fps

I had the internals put into a Thermaltake Core P3 case and upgraded the cpu cooling to a 360 MM rad and now it’s running great as my wife’s main gaming pc

manfestival

Interesting, these last 2 drivers have just been improvements for me. Have had 0 of the issues that you are having. Ironically I have had those issues when I first got my 6800xt but drivers improved. Granted I got the card a few months post launch.

I spent the day yesterday building my computer. Took some of the old parts and slapped up the new case, motherboard, cpu, and water cooler. The results have been FANTASTIC. I am also amazed at the stability of games while I have tasks going on the side like installs, streaming, and etc. I imagine this is the work of windows 11 + alder lake E cores. Feels like wizardry compared to my system with windows 10+ 8700k.

unknown.png

Now for the record, it seems like my CPU is underperforming. I am going to look into that. However, I am not far off and I think it might be in need of some overclocking or updating. Lots of factors could be coming into play.

Here is a comparison with my old system which was 8700k + 2080. FYI my 2080 was PLAGUED and cursed. I think I had won the bad side of the silicon lottery. I don't blame nvidia.

unknown.png

Massive difference!

vpance

I have no doubts performance is improved with the new drivers. I just wish I could update to them but whatever change they made to HDMI handshaking is messed up for me now. Maybe it's something unique to what my receiver is doing but it was all good before. Also tried on a fresh install of Win11. From my googling this kind of thing seemed to be a common issue in the past for people using multi mon or home theater setups, but it's hard to find any recent answers.

I honestly think I've never even had a display driver crash with my last 2 NV cards, lol.

manfestival

I have no doubts performance is improved with the new drivers. I just wish I could update to them but whatever change they made to HDMI handshaking is messed up for me now. Maybe it's something unique to what my receiver is doing but it was all good before. Also tried on a fresh install of Win11. From my googling this kind of thing seemed to be a common issue in the past for people using multi mon or home theater setups, but it's hard to find any recent answers.

I honestly think I've never even had a display driver crash with my last 2 NV cards, lol.
Yeah not sure what to tell you on that. Granted my win 11 experience is super limited since I spent all day yesterday updating and installing stuff. Tonight I might have a different experience. I will say that the little gaming I did yesterday felt fantastic but that is likely a combo of a fresh install + better cpu. HOWEVER, I did have to install windows twice since the first install was really bad. It stressed me out for 2 hours before I threw my hands up and started all over again. I had a world of issues with my 2080 but.... out of all of the video cards from Nvidia to AMD that I have had over 20 years. The 2080 is the only card I have actually had issues with. This is why I tend to view it as a problem with the silicon/card itself. Rather than a Nvidia problem. My main screen is DP and my second screen is HDMI but I never had such an issue with my second monitor. Maybe look further into known issues since I know they recently updated the list with more things.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

what handshake? Disable windows fast startup

vpance

Yeah not sure what to tell you on that. Granted my win 11 experience is super limited since I spent all day yesterday updating and installing stuff. Tonight I might have a different experience. I will say that the little gaming I did yesterday felt fantastic but that is likely a combo of a fresh install + better cpu. HOWEVER, I did have to install windows twice since the first install was really bad. It stressed me out for 2 hours before I threw my hands up and started all over again. I had a world of issues with my 2080 but.... out of all of the video cards from Nvidia to AMD that I have had over 20 years. The 2080 is the only card I have actually had issues with. This is why I tend to view it as a problem with the silicon/card itself. Rather than a Nvidia problem. My main screen is DP and my second screen is HDMI but I never had such an issue with my second monitor. Maybe look further into known issues since I know they recently updated the list with more things.

Yeah I wonder if using the DP out would help. I'd have to get one with an HDMI connector on the other end though.

what handshake? Disable windows fast startup

Already tried. It's only a problem on resume from stand by, not cold boots or restarts.

winjer

Gold Member

Did you use DDU to clean the older drivers, before installing the new?

vpance

Did you use DDU to clean the older drivers, before installing the new?

I tried that too. It doesn't work on a new install of Win 11 which is as clean as it gets.

The rare times that I could resume with a monitor signal my open windows would all be shrunken to a tiny size, or there would be no HDMI audio. Very common issue in the PC to home theater world apparently, which AMD has decided to bring back. lol

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Finished building my PC this past weekend......

sYoxic4.jpeg

Damn....just realized how twisted my GPU power cables are. Really happy with it though. Runs Elden Ring like a dream.

Decided to save some money with an air cooler for the CPU since it is the 5600X. Runs fine. Very quiet for a CPU fan. It is the Scythe Mugen 5. Got tired of seeing colors so went with static white fans to give the whole rig a black/white stormtrooper look to it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I tried that too. It doesn't work on a new install of Win 11 which is as clean as it gets.

The rare times that I could resume with a monitor signal my open windows would all be shrunken to a tiny size, or there would be no HDMI audio. Very common issue in the PC to home theater world apparently, which AMD has decided to bring back. lol

I read a bit more of your posts. The issues you are reporting seem like system instability.
Try running Testmem5 to see if your memory is OK.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was randomly browsing bestbuy last night and found a $899 3080 along with several other 12 GB 3080s which were all over $1,200. I was like wow, these GPUs are finally coming into stock but decided to go talk to my wife about it first. Big mistake. By the time i got back, the GPU was gone. I saw so many of these GPUs available, i figured they had a large stock.

I guess seeing as how those $1,200 overpriced GPUs arent selling anymore, we should see them drop to around $900 next month.

it's still crazy to me that these manufacturers are able to price something $500-1000 over the MSRP. Nvidia is still selling their founders edition cards at $700, Sony and MS are still selling their consoles at MSRP despite the high demand of their own chips, so these third party manufacturers should be able to do the same.

vpance

I read a bit more of your posts. The issues you are reporting seem like system instability.
Try running Testmem5 to see if your memory is OK.

You really think so? I have no issues as long as I use an old driver.

On the new driver the resume issue was the only thing really. Games ran fine and all. Anyways I will wait for my EDID adaptor and see if it helps.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Finished building my PC this past weekend......

sYoxic4.jpeg

Damn....just realized how twisted my GPU power cables are. Really happy with it though. Runs Elden Ring like a dream.

Decided to save some money with an air cooler for the CPU since it is the 5600X. Runs fine. Very quiet for a CPU fan. It is the Scythe Mugen 5. Got tired of seeing colors so went with static white fans to give the whole rig a black/white stormtrooper look to it.
Very clean nicely done.

Honestly air cooling is the way to go with how efficient they are plus less headache

winjer

Gold Member
You really think so? I have no issues as long as I use an old driver.

On the new driver the resume issue was the only thing really. Games ran fine and all. Anyways I will wait for my EDID adaptor and see if it helps.

It's a matter of eliminating options, until we find the solution.

BTW, there is a solution I would recommend first.
Install SDI and have it update all of your drivers.

manfestival

Have you been benchmarking it to compare your performance? I do it out of habit. Also how long did it take you to assemble everything? I did mine yesterday. All was easy for me except plugging in that CPU power cable. I sliced up my hand in like 4 places struggling to extend that cable and to sneak it underneath my radiator.
Also, I have never done RGB before and my AIO RGB isn't working but I don't care. Also my front fans aren't cycling color but I kinda find the yellow static color to be relaxing from my build. All white might be better like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom