• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjer

Gold Member
Nvidia stock stumbles after Baird voices concern about graphics business

Shares of Nvidia Corp. shares were slipping Monday after an analyst took a more cautious outlook on the company’s gaming business.

Baird’s Tristan Gerra downgraded Nvidia’s stock NVDA, -1.21% to neutral from outperform, writing of his concerns about excess inventory for consumer graphics processing units (GPUs). The shares were off 5.1% in afternoon trading.

We believe order cancellations recently started in consumer GPUs, driven by excess inventories, a slowdown in consumer demand (reflected by an ongoing reduction in graphic cards pricing), slowdown in PC demand, and the Russia embargo,” he wrote in a note to clients.
Gerra thinks that the consensus view might be underestimating the percentage of Nvidia’s consumer GPU business that’s linked to Russia. Additionally, he believes that demand has dampened in China, which he said represents an estimated 25% to 30% of the market for consumer GPUs.
Further, he worries about the upcoming Ethereum fork, which is expected to drive reselling of GPUs no longer needed for Ethereum mining. That dynamic could put additional pressure on prices, Gerra wrote.
Read: Ethereum’s major upgrade is coming. Should you be more bullish on it than bitcoin?
He now projects that Nvidia’s gaming revenue could be flat to slightly up on a sequential basis in the fiscal second quarter, as well as down by a mid-single-digit rate in the fiscal third quarter.
Gerra said that the forecast for Nvidia’s data-center revenue is still “very strong,” though he has questions about “whether new expected delays in the ramp of Sapphire Rapids could impact mainstream server refreshes in C2H and affect shipments later this year.”
He lowered his price target on Nvidia’s stock to $225 from $360. The shares have lost 21.2% over the past three months, as the S&P 500 SPX, 0.02% has dropped 6.0%.

These might be bad news for nVidia, but good news for gamers.

Topher

Gold Member
Have you been benchmarking it to compare your performance? I do it out of habit. Also how long did it take you to assemble everything? I did mine yesterday. All was easy for me except plugging in that CPU power cable. I sliced up my hand in like 4 places struggling to extend that cable and to sneak it underneath my radiator.
Also, I have never done RGB before and my AIO RGB isn't working but I don't care. Also my front fans aren't cycling color but I kinda find the yellow static color to be relaxing from my build. All white might be better like this.

Yeah, I've used Cyberpunk 2077, 3DMark for the most part. Getting good results. I can get a solid 4K 60 with RT and DLSS on with Cyberpunk. But I have no qualms turning RT off as it really adds so little to the visuals, imo.

Took me a couple of hours to put it altogether. Most of that was trying to keep the cables manageable.

I'd recommend buying some cable extensions like these:

Not only do they look nice, but it makes it life a lot easier.

The biggest problem I have with RGB is having programs running to make them look the way you want. Not only is it annoying, to me, to have another program running, but most of those RGB programs suck really bad.

That's why I went all white.

racist wonder showzen GIF

anothertech

Any recommendations on pre-builds? I have always built my own, but it seems easier to go the other way these days? Brand rather than specific build.
I know it's divisive for some but I personally have had good experiences with cyberpowerpc premades. The prices aren't scalper and I got my 3080 and 3090 systems recently through them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Finished building my PC this past weekend......

sYoxic4.jpeg

Damn....just realized how twisted my GPU power cables are. Really happy with it though. Runs Elden Ring like a dream.

Decided to save some money with an air cooler for the CPU since it is the 5600X. Runs fine. Very quiet for a CPU fan. It is the Scythe Mugen 5. Got tired of seeing colors so went with static white fans to give the whole rig a black/white stormtrooper look to it.
Absolute beauty of a build, is that the O1D ? Looks amazing. Love the stormtrooper vibe. Enjoy!

Sort that cable if you haven't :D

Last edited:

vpance

The biggest problem I have with RGB is having programs running to make them look the way you want. Not only is it annoying, to me, to have another program running, but most of those RGB programs suck really bad.

That's why I went all white.

Have you tried SignalRgb?

Wow, the 5900x hit $394 on newegg today, that's the lowest price ever.

5800x is not even $40 cheaper, that's funny lol.

Yep I am really chomping at the bit for an upgrade but won't because I know more cuts are coming. I also need an 4.0 nvme drive but on that I will probably wait until games require it because damn they're almost $300 for a 2tb. Not sure if any game at all on PC benefits from one yet.

Last edited:

Athreous

Gaf, please. What would be the best setup for 4k, 60 fps, ray tracing gaming on ultra? Are there budget versions of this setup with small tweaks to graphics? AAny good monitor that would fit both PC and PS5 gaming?

GreatnessRD

Gaf, please. What would be the best setup for 4k, 60 fps, ray tracing gaming on ultra? Are there budget versions of this setup with small tweaks to graphics? AAny good monitor that would fit both PC and PS5 gaming?
If you didn't buy the hardware yet, you would want a RTX 3090/3090 Ti for ultra+ raytracing. Small tweaks to settings? Then you could shoot for a 3080/3080 Ti. 6800 XT from AMD is fine minus the raytracing part, but good for everything else you want. Far as monitors go I'd say the Gigabyte M32u.

Ordered an nvme ssd finally to replace my sata drive. Going from a 1tb to this 2tb gen 4 drive : Wd black 770

Seemed like easily the best value. Only getting it now because someone bought my sata drive and paid me what I paid for it to install it for them and clean their PC.

Next I will get the zen 3 cpu and then my PC will be solid sans gpu upgrades for a long time 🙂

I must admit that 5800x3d is really better than I thought and I am debating to get that instead of 5700x and put an all in one liquid cooler on it. But I don't want to spend $450 so I will wait a bit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, after 1.5 years, I finally got my hands on a 3080 but I am sad to say that the damn thing crashes every single game after just a few minutes. UE5 demo, cyberpunk, Mafia, Red Dead 2. It doesnt discriminate. Looks like an issue that plagued the early launch models but Nvidia's driver update was supposed to fix it.

I thought it was my CPU that was crashing the games, but after enabling CPU temps in MSI Afterburner, it looks like it maxes out at 70C, which is a bit higher than before when I had it paired up with a 2080 but now Im doing 4k 60 fps in most games so i guess its being taxed more.

What's weird is that the 12 GB 3080 (non Ti version) is consistently pulling in 390 Watts and ive seen it go above 400 Watts at times. I thought my 750 watts power supply might have been the issue, but I have my system hooked up to a UPS which tells me how much power im pulling, and overall it tops out around 550 watts. I have it hooked up to the power supply using 2 PCIE connectors, one with 8 pins and the other with 4 but i will try it with 4 different cables and see if that makes a difference.

Should I even bother exchanging it for a new one? Or just wait for the new 4000 series cards which should be on a smaller node. 400 watts for a GPU is insane. It regularly goes up to the mid 70s which is disheartening after I spent weeks making my case cooler. My 2080 never went above 60 watts and my i7 which is a very hot CPU used to stay under 60 watts pretty much all the time. now both CPU and GPU are in the 70s and its turned my room into a sauna.

Well, after 1.5 years, I finally got my hands on a 3080 but I am sad to say that the damn thing crashes every single game after just a few minutes. UE5 demo, cyberpunk, Mafia, Red Dead 2. It doesnt discriminate. Looks like an issue that plagued the early launch models but Nvidia's driver update was supposed to fix it.

I thought it was my CPU that was crashing the games, but after enabling CPU temps in MSI Afterburner, it looks like it maxes out at 70C, which is a bit higher than before when I had it paired up with a 2080 but now Im doing 4k 60 fps in most games so i guess its being taxed more.

What's weird is that the 12 GB 3080 (non Ti version) is consistently pulling in 390 Watts and ive seen it go above 400 Watts at times. I thought my 750 watts power supply might have been the issue, but I have my system hooked up to a UPS which tells me how much power im pulling, and overall it tops out around 550 watts. I have it hooked up to the power supply using 2 PCIE connectors, one with 8 pins and the other with 4 but i will try it with 4 different cables and see if that makes a difference.

Should I even bother exchanging it for a new one? Or just wait for the new 4000 series cards which should be on a smaller node. 400 watts for a GPU is insane. It regularly goes up to the mid 70s which is disheartening after I spent weeks making my case cooler. My 2080 never went above 60 watts and my i7 which is a very hot CPU used to stay under 60 watts pretty much all the time. now both CPU and GPU are in the 70s and its turned my room into a sauna.
Imo just send it back and wait for 4000 series... Sorry to hear that man. 2080 is good enough to last you a bit longer.

So it's a 3080 12gb? That was at least a grand right?

GreatnessRD

Ordered an nvme ssd finally to replace my sata drive. Going from a 1tb to this 2tb gen 4 drive : Wd black 770

Seemed like easily the best value. Only getting it now because someone bought my sata drive and paid me what I paid for it to install it for them and clean their PC.

Next I will get the zen 3 cpu and then my PC will be solid sans gpu upgrades for a long time 🙂

I must admit that 5800x3d is really better than I thought and I am debating to get that instead of 5700x and put an all in one liquid cooler on it. But I don't want to spend $450 so I will wait a bit.
NVME speeds is aces. Congrats on the upgrade. I don't wanna spend $450 on that 5800X3D either, but I'm hoping Best Buy will price match the Microcenter $50 off coupon so I can get it $400. If not, I'll wait and take a trip to Microcenter and grab it. I am interested to see how limited the 583D is.

Did you DDU and try to reinstall the drivers? Sounds like a driver issue for it to keep crashing in games like Maifia and Red Dead. Or you could be unlucky and got a bad card that needs to be RMA'd.

SlimySnake

NVME speeds is aces. Congrats on the upgrade. I don't wanna spend $450 on that 5800X3D either, but I'm hoping Best Buy will price match the Microcenter $50 off coupon so I can get it $400. If not, I'll wait and take a trip to Microcenter and grab it. I am interested to see how limited the 583D is.

Did you DDU and try to reinstall the drivers? Sounds like a driver issue for it to keep crashing in games like Maifia and Red Dead. Or you could be unlucky and got a bad card that needs to be RMA'd.
Whats DDU? I did not reinstall the drivers, but I will try that.

EDIT: I didnt try the DDU uninstaller but a clean reinstall of the driver did the trick. At least for cyberpunk. Played for an hour and it didnt crash.

Matrix crashed within a few seconds though. I will try more games tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yeah this is the thing... Maybe this cpu will be very limited and I'll feel stupid if I wait for sale then it just becomes like the Intel 8086k lol.

Or is that what they want us to think 🤔

Let us know if they price match that for you!

GreatnessRD

Whats DDU? I did not reinstall the drivers, but I will try that.

EDIT: I didnt try the DDU uninstaller but a clean reinstall of the driver did the trick. At least for cyberpunk. Played for an hour and it didnt crash.

Sorry for late response. I fell asleep right after replying, haha. Display Driver Uninstaller completes the remove previous drivers like a fresh new baby. It also helps to block windows for installing an older version of drivers. Especially for AMD. Here is a video to help you use it.

Let us know how it goes.
Yeah this is the thing... Maybe this cpu will be very limited and I'll feel stupid if I wait for sale then it just becomes like the Intel 8086k lol.

Or is that what they want us to think 🤔

Let us know if they price match that for you!
I was gung-ho to purchase on launch. I might wait for a slight minute, but I'm so indecisive I may go to Best Buy to see if they price match. I'll keep you updated!

reinstall of the driver did the trick. At least for cyberpunk. Played for an hour and it didnt crash.

If using DDU as GreatnessRD GreatnessRD suggested doesn't work out, before you ship anything away I'd suggest checking your ram. The fact it's not always consistent points to it being either a driver or ram-related issue. If you already checked the ram disregard but sometimes the simplest solution is the first to get overlooked.

Have you tried running things with just one stick of ram? First pull the sticks and inspect the DIMM slots for damage with a flashlight (pic related). If it looks alright, run a single stick in your primary DIMM slot and see if things crash, then try the other and repeat. If it crashes with one but not the other you have a bad stick or a broken DIMM which can manifest itself in a variety of errors and crashes that often don't make sense and may not be consistent. If you do see anything that looks damaged don't put a stick back in the slot as you'll short out the other stick too.

My old X99 mobo had one of the eight DIMM slots cracked from the factory that shorted out the ram. For the first few years I had the PC running my 980ti everything ran flawlessly, not one CTD that wasn't my own doing in that entire time. Then I bought a 2080ti and moved everything into a new case. After that my system started crashing when running newer games or photoshop, but ran fine otherwise. I assumed it was the new GPU as it was the only part change I'd made. I ruled out PSU as my PSU was a 1200W unit in good working order and ruled out overheating as my CPU temps never top 45C and my GPU temps on the 2080ti never reach 60C and the radiator is outside the case. That left ram, a loose connection or drivers. I realized I had fully disassembled the PC to clean everything before moving it to the new case so I checked to make sure everything was properly seated. Eventually I noticed the faint stress marks on my primary DIMM slot, pushing on it revealed it bowed under minimal pressure.

2e3EJzo.jpg

I replaced the mobo and the affected stick of ram and didn't have any more problems

SlimySnake

If using DDU as GreatnessRD GreatnessRD suggested doesn't work out, before you ship anything away I'd suggest checking your ram. The fact it's not always consistent points to it being either a driver or ram-related issue. If you already checked the ram disregard but sometimes the simplest solution is the first to get overlooked.

Have you tried running things with just one stick of ram? First pull the sticks and inspect the DIMM slots for damage with a flashlight (pic related). If it looks alright, run a single stick in your primary DIMM slot and see if things crash, then try the other and repeat. If it crashes with one but not the other you have a bad stick or a broken DIMM which can manifest itself in a variety of errors and crashes that often don't make sense and may not be consistent. If you do see anything that looks damaged don't put a stick back in the slot as you'll short out the other stick too.

My old X99 mobo had one of the eight DIMM slots cracked from the factory that shorted out the ram. For the first few years I had the PC running my 980ti everything ran flawlessly, not one CTD that wasn't my own doing in that entire time. Then I bought a 2080ti and moved everything into a new case. After that my system started crashing when running newer games or photoshop, but ran fine otherwise. I assumed it was the new GPU as it was the only part change I'd made. I ruled out PSU as my PSU was a 1200W unit in good working order and ruled out overheating as my CPU temps never top 45C and my GPU temps on the 2080ti never reach 60C and the radiator is outside the case. That left ram, a loose connection or drivers. I realized I had fully disassembled the PC to clean everything before moving it to the new case so I checked to make sure everything was properly seated. Eventually I noticed the faint stress marks on my primary DIMM slot, pushing on it revealed it bowed under minimal pressure.

2e3EJzo.jpg

I replaced the mobo and the affected stick of ram and didn't have any more problems
Thanks. I will give it a shot, but even using DDU and reinstalling all drivers from scratch didnt work. Matrix still crashes. RDR2 still crashes. Didnt even bother running cyberpunk this morning.

I replaced my mobo, power supply, cpu and ram in august of last year in preparation for this card. I havent had any issues with it. Matrix ran like a dream before I got this card. It is the only game that actually bothers to give out the error message:

RHI\Private\D3D12Util.cpp] [Line: 859] hr failed at D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Resources.cpp:629 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Googled it and it looks like an issue with the graphics card connection to the mobo or the power supply. I will installing it again.

Athreous

If you didn't buy the hardware yet, you would want a RTX 3090/3090 Ti for ultra+ raytracing. Small tweaks to settings? Then you could shoot for a 3080/3080 Ti. 6800 XT from AMD is fine minus the raytracing part, but good for everything else you want. Far as monitors go I'd say the Gigabyte M32u.
Would this setup run any current game with ultra settings at 60 fps+?

SlimySnake

So my EVGA 12 GB 3080 needs 3 8 pin connectors. Thats probably whats causing all the issues. I have two 8 pin connectors from the PSU splitting into three and I guess thats the reason why my games keep crashing even after a clean driver install.

Have I fucked up my card by having it crash so many times due to low power delivery? Should I just replace it with a new one just to be safe?

GreatnessRD

How long would this setup last? until the next upgrade?
That totally depends on the incoming games. Should last you quite awhile with that said however. But unless you absolutely need something right this second, doesn't make sense to buy with the new CPUs and GPUs coming by end of the year.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So my EVGA 12 GB 3080 needs 3 8 pin connectors. Thats probably whats causing all the issues. I have two 8 pin connectors from the PSU splitting into three and I guess thats the reason why my games keep crashing even after a clean driver install.

Have I fucked up my card by having it crash so many times due to low power delivery? Should I just replace it with a new one just to be safe?
Not likely to be hurt. Just add a 3rd a connector and all should be good.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That totally depends on the incoming games. Should last you quite awhile with that said however. But unless you absolutely need something right this second, doesn't make sense to buy with the new CPUs and GPUs coming by end of the year.
This isnt the best advice. Upgrade now if you can afford it. We have this window of good GPU availability that can evaporate at any second. It’s pretty silly to assume that we won’t have unavailable GPUs when the next gen is released. There is every reason to believe that their could be supply issues for next gen.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Also, what power supply are you using? Now that I think about it, it shouldn’t cause major issues two have 2 connectors functioning as 3. It’s always recommended to have separate cables for each port, but I doubt the power draw of the card would cause that to be a major issue unless you have a crappy/underpowered PSU. Either way, the next step is obvious, have all 3 plugs run separate.

Back to your original question, it’s unlikely that you have hurt your GPU from running 2 plugs.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

This isnt the best advice. Upgrade now if you can afford it. We have this window of good GPU availability that can evaporate at any second. It’s pretty silly to assume that we won’t have unavailable GPUs when the next gen is released. There is every reason to believe that their could be supply issues for next gen.
That's why I said if he/she needed something now, upgrade. And if he/she didn't, then wait till the new stuff comes out. They're trying to have ultra settings with raytracing. The new architecture is only gonna further help that use case.

SlimySnake

Also, what power supply are you using? Now that I think about it, it shouldn’t cause major issues two have 2 connectors functioning as 3. It’s always recommended to have separate cables for each port, but I doubt the power draw of the card would cause that to be a major issue unless you have a crappy/underpowered PSU. Either way, the next step is obvious, have all 3 plugs run separate.

It's a seasonic GX-750 750W 80+ Gold.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/season...-10-yr-warranty-black/6414263.p?skuId=6414263

I probably shouldve bought a 850 watt power supply but all my research said 750 watts would be more than enough for 3080. I guess it was because they were saying it would be 320 watts for the 10 GB founders edition but this 12 GB OC model is pulling more than 400 watts.

Still, I can see how much my PC pulls in from the wall and it tops out at 620 watts.

Athreous

My current rig is: gtx 1070, 16gb ddr4 and a ryzen 5 3600x :D

SlimySnake

That's why I said if he/she needed something now, upgrade. And if he/she didn't, then wait till the new stuff comes out. They're trying to have ultra settings with raytracing. The new architecture is only gonna further help that use case.
Ultra settings with ray tracing is gonna be rough at 4k. You pretty much still need DLSS in Cybperunk and Control at maxed out RT settings to hit 4k and that means a base 1440p resolution. In cyberpunk's case, that means 30-40 fps. Matrix demo hovers around 40-48 fps at native 4k. 3090 Ti might give them an extra 5-10 fps but you are not getting ultra RT settings at native 4k on these cards.

Ultra settings at non-RT games? Fuck yes. RDR2 was notoriously bad on PCs at launch and people pointed out how event the native 4k x1x version was using low to medium PC settings. Ultra settings were basically overkill and yet, my 3080 12 GB is running it at 80+ fps at native 4k maxed out. Mafia too. 80+ fps at native 4k. It's insane how powerful this GPU is. It is 2x more powerful than the 2080 which is kinda crazy.

The only issue is that the damn power consumption is too high. 400+ watts for a GPU is nuts. I remember when everyone lost their shit when AMD released the Vega 7 at 300w.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/season...-10-yr-warranty-black/6414263.p?skuId=6414263

I probably shouldve bought a 850 watt power supply but all my research said 750 watts would be more than enough for 3080. I guess it was because they were saying it would be 320 watts for the 10 GB founders edition but this 12 GB OC model is pulling more than 400 watts.

Still, I can see how much my PC pulls in from the wall and it tops out at 620 watts.
That should be good enough. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and pull a 3rd modular cable from the PSU box and connect it to the GPU. It might work, and is an easy test. If it doesn’t work, you may have indeed gotten a defective GPU, but I’m not inclined to think so.

That PSU has enough ports to fully power that GPU with each port getting its own cable. I don’t know if it comes with more than 2. If so, order an extra one from Amazon. If it works great, if not then return it .

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

My current rig is: gtx 1070, 16gb ddr4 and a ryzen 5 3600x :D
With that setup, you're more than fine waiting till September when some of this stuff is supposed to release. You'll be able to look forward to Intel Raptor Lake, AMD Zen4, Nvidia 4000 series and AMD RDNA3.
Ultra settings with ray tracing is gonna be rough at 4k. You pretty much still need DLSS in Cybperunk and Control at maxed out RT settings to hit 4k and that means a base 1440p resolution. In cyberpunk's case, that means 30-40 fps. Matrix demo hovers around 40-48 fps at native 4k. 3090 Ti might give them an extra 5-10 fps but you are not getting ultra RT settings at native 4k on these cards.

Ultra settings at non-RT games? Fuck yes. RDR2 was notoriously bad on PCs at launch and people pointed out how event the native 4k x1x version was using low to medium PC settings. Ultra settings were basically overkill and yet, my 3080 12 GB is running it at 80+ fps at native 4k maxed out. Mafia too. 80+ fps at native 4k. It's insane how powerful this GPU is. It is 2x more powerful than the 2080 which is kinda crazy.

The only issue is that the damn power consumption is too high. 400+ watts for a GPU is nuts. I remember when everyone lost their shit when AMD released the Vega 7 at 300w.
Which is why I told the person DLSS was gonna be their friend and to wait if they can because they're trying to go for broke with Ultra + Raytracing, lol. Maybe those MCM GPUs AMD supposed to release might help with what they want. And yes, the power consumption for the next gen of cards will be outrageous I believe. Especially if the rumors are true.

SlimySnake

That should be good enough. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and pull a 3rd modular cable from the PSU box and connect it to the GPU. It might work, and is an easy test. If it doesn’t work, you may have indeed gotten a defective GPU, but I’m not inclined to think so.

That PSU has enough ports to fully power that GPU with each port getting its own cable. I don’t know if it comes with more than 2. If so, order an extra one from Amazon. If it works great, if not then return it .
Psu only came with two pcie to psu cables. The only extra one i have is for the cpu to psu and Google says that has different pins so it won’t work.

I’m gonna get a new cable tomorrow. Cant believe this $1,000 gpu didn’t come with a cable. Especially since it needs three whereas other 3080s only need two.

vpance

Have you tried an undervolt? I see people are running 800-900mv on 3080s. Would be interesting if that made things better.

SlimySnake

Thanks. Ended up ordering this one since they were offering same day delivery. Cant wait till tuesday to get this damn thing fixed.

Have you tried an undervolt? I see people are running 800-900mv on 3080s. Would be interesting if that made things better.

Not yet. Will have to google it because i dont think ive ever done it. I usually only mess with MSI Afterburner. If its something I can do with that then i might give it a shot. I am terrified of messing with things in the Bios.

Last edited:

BigBooper

What do y'all think, will the 3080 drop below 800 this summer?

I ordered a 3070ti ftw3 ultra latedoodada last week when they were $760 on Amazon, but I'm kind of worried 8GB ram won't be enough to last as long as I'd like. My CPU is probably too old to justify a 4000 series card, so I need a 3000 series. Is there any chance that they pull 3080s or stop production before the price settles back down?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What do y'all think, will the 3080 drop below 800 this summer?

I ordered a 3070ti ftw3 ultra latedoodada last week when they were $760 on Amazon, but I'm kind of worried 8GB ram won't be enough to last as long as I'd like. My CPU is probably too old to justify a 4000 series card, so I need a 3000 series. Is there any chance that they pull 3080s or stop production before the price settles back down?
No. I wouldn't bet money on it at all. Right now the 12GB 3080, 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti are the ones that are available, while the 10GB 3080 and the original 3070 cards are still fairly scarce. I'd wager that nvidia and board makers stealth discontinued the 10GB model and 3070 since they were priced at a relatively consumer friendly price. In short, anything can happen, but I'd be very surprised to find a 10GB 3080 at near the original 10GB MSRP, unless the market gets completely flooded. Cryptocurrency is still a thing and if that gets hot, then the game changes again. That threat will exist until (I've read) ethereum makes the switch from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake. I have NO IDEA what that means, other than that it will alleviate mining using GPUs. Supposedly...I don't know.

If you want to purchase a 10GB 3080, it's pretty much only 3rd party vendors and the markup is still pretty ridiculous. Despite the fact that you can now get an EVGA 3080 12Gb for $1000, the 10GB models are still selling for over $1000 on ebay. I don't get it. If you want to return your 3070 Ti, and I do agree that 8GB is reaching it's limit. I have always wished that nvidia had started the 3080 at 16GB, the 3070 at 12GB and then the lower ends at 8GB.

HOWEVER, you may be in luck...here is where I make a shameless plug...

I am selling my 3080 for $850 if you want it message me and maybe we can work something out.
See the details here. Message me if you have questions.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Are we all on 3090's yet? Stock any better?
The cards that are readily available right now are the 3080 12GB, 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti. Some 3090s are available. The best deal at the moment seems to be the 12GB 3080 from EVGA at $1000, which isn't a great deal to most people, but is FAR FAR FAR better than what prices have been. As I said in the post above, the 10GB 3080 and original 3070 are still rather scarce and I suspect those models have been quietly discontinued.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’ve noticed all this talk about nvidia GPUs, but you should all be aware that the Radeon 6900XT is (or was) available for $1000. Unless RT means everything to you the 6900XT gives better performance than anything from nvidia at that price point.

Something to consider.

Last edited:

Usedtogrow

Neo Member
I’ve noticed all this talk about nvidia GPUs, but you should all be aware that the Radeon 6900XT is (or was) available for $1000. Unless RT means everything to you the 6900XT gives better performance than anything from nvidia at that price point.

Something to consider.
i remember the days, when you could afford the WHOLE middle-end PC for the 1000$, not the GPU :(

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
i remember the days, when you could afford the WHOLE middle-end PC for the 1000$, not the GPU :(
It seems like the 3060 and 3060 Tis have sold out everywhere, otherwise you could get within $200 of that price with a 5600X. Maybe even closer with a last gen Intel set up. A 6700XT set up can get you under $1300 minus storage.

Last edited:

manfestival

Something to consider.
Yeah that 6900xt has been in a weird fluctuating spot. Strangely enough the 6800xt was more sought after and people forget the 6900xt existed from time to time. Yeah it is a better "deal" these days. Definitely can give a recommendation for AMD gpus. I have had no driver issues or anything crazy in my experience with my 6800xt.

Speaking of graphics, I decided to throw on Cyberpunk 2077 last night. Yeah that game is beautiful. Was able to play it buttery smooth ultra performance and even ultra with low RT above 60fps at 1440p. Probably averaging around 70 fps with RT on. Ultra RT looks amazing but I just want to see it 60+ cause this is probably the only game that I have actually been impressed by the RT. I played and beat the game last year and was impressed but for some reason it just seemed more impressive this time around. Not sure why... maybe it was my newer monitor or something.

On a monitor note. Just throwing this out there. If you all decide to get a VA panel. Make sure you spend the extra to get one without any black smearing. I don't always notice it or even it bothering me but it makes games like Hades really annoying once it is noticed. Sadly my second monitor is a TN panel so it goes between wanting freesync/better colors or no black smearing/less smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom