• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a hdd to go alongside your ssd. 1tb isnt that much when games are starting to release at 75 gigs. I always like to have an SSD and a normal hard drive for additional storage purposes.

Dipship31

Last edited:

Dipship31

Maybe a hdd to go alongside your ssd. 1tb isnt that much when games are starting to release at 75 gigs. I always like to have an SSD and a normal hard drive for additional storage purposes.

I may just do an upgraded SSD like this: https://amz.run/6NW4

1TB Storage though actually still works fine for me as I have Gig internet here and there's no data cap so downloading and installing / re-installing is no big deal

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

Buggy Loop

Take your PC and sell it as it, fully assembled, not piece by piece. You can get a good price from someone who is either new to PC gaming, doesn't have the knowledge to build it, etc.

I'm sorry i went overboard with mini-ITX and a case that isn't dogshit, but i think if i were to build today, it would look like this.

7600 to start on a new platform that will hopefully even last half of what AM4 did, but you would be ready for the next 3D v-cache CPUs of this iteration or the next.
The case is small space factor on desk and sleek as fuck. Pick black color if that's more your thing. I have it personally and it's gorgeous.

Noctua fans are a deluxe thing, but i have the same setup for CPU cooler + (2) 120mm noctua fans, it's silent. For pure air pressure in small form factor, nothing beats the A12x25 from Noctua, not even their 140mm manages to beat it. You want them on the front of the case to exhaust air. NH-L12s as intake config. What this will do is that each side of case will pull air in and the front will exhaust. It's very effective.

You could if you are interested to go with an AIO, but i personally don't like water cooling. If you go AIO, then you could pick a higher height ram as the corsair vengeance i picked is expressively for the NH-L12s cooler clearance.

SFX PSU, watch for it if you're not in a hurry to buy, it easily drops $50 in deals.

I bust your $2k by barely, a few deals here and there and you're good to go. But i think it's worth it. I'm surprised i could even manage that build with mini-ITX.

Case is ready for 3 slot GPU with the CPU cooler, 4 slot GPU if you pick an AIO.

It'll be PACKED in there. If it's your first small form factor PC, it might look overwhelming, but i don't think there's anything more satisfying than building one.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Case NZXT H510 Flow / Lian Li Lancool II
CPU Ryzen 7700X
Motherboard B650 of choice
Ram 32GB DDR5 6000+
Graphics card 4070Ti
PSU 850W+

And a Gen 4 SSD

If you're in the US you can probably get a set of RAM for free with the CPU.

I can’t recommend the Lian Li Cool 3 enough. It’s awesome and has great air flow.

hinch7

What about a list like this:

Think that would get the job done? and would I need to add anything else?
Looks good. I would swap out the Samsung 980 Pro with a WD SN850X and maybe spend a tad more faster RAM. And a more modern cooler for AM5. Something like this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Saves you a bit of money and parts slightly higher specced.

BennyBlanco BennyBlanco Yeah looks like a really nice case with lots of cool and useful features. Might get one in my next build.

Last edited:

Dipship31

Looks good. I would swap out the Samsung 980 Pro with a WD SN850X and maybe spend a tad more faster RAM. And a more modern cooler for AM5. Something like this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Saves you a bit of money and parts slightly higher specced.

BennyBlanco BennyBlanco Yeah looks like a really nice case with lots of cool and useful features. Might get one in my next build.

I updated my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GXpxJM What cooler were you thinking? Looks like it didn't show up for me on your URL

twilo99

I'm about 5 years removed from my last full PC upgrade so looking to get another build going. Every time I do this I pretty much space how I did it the time before so wanted to ask GAF the starting point in 2023. Here's what I'm working with currently:

nhOg43j.jpg

Now that I have an ultrawide monitor newer games are starting to struggle at 1440p so thought it might be time to do a full upgrade. Here's what I'm assuming I have to buy:

Case (no idea what's good or what to go for)
CPU (Intel or AMD?)
MOBO (no idea what's good or what to go for)
RAM (32 GB I'd assume)
GFX Card (Thinking 4070TI)
PSU (1000W?)

and I'm probably missing some things, but what is a good "checklist" on what to order these days? Also just curious if anyone has any recommendations for any / all of those items? I was planning on just moving my Crucial SSD from my current PC into the new build, shouldn't be any issues with that correct? Looking to go pretty nice with this set so hoping to budget about $2k for it all if it's possible. I've typically gone Intel for my CPU's, but are AMD's better value and/or performance these days? Lastly for the graphics card I initially was thinking the 4070TI as that seems like a sweet spot for 1440p.

Up for any recommendations though

I’d go for the 5800x3D for the CPU .. I could be wrong but I think it’s best bang for buck currently available

Oh I just saw that you posted your build. I guess with the Am4 you are kind of living in the past

Last edited:

dave_d

I disable it a moment ago, but can you explain why it's bad?
Sure no problem. So the way fast start up works is it's a form of hibernation. IE it logs you out of your account then saves the memory of your machine to your hard drive SSD and shuts down the PC. On startup it loads up that saved memory and logs you back in. On my PC this causes boot to be 5 seconds faster. (23 seconds instead of 28.) However doing this has the following downsides

• It takes gigs of space on your drive. (It can easily be over 10GB of unusable space on your drive because of hiberfil.sys. You can see if this file exists by going in the command prompt, go to C:\ and doing "dir /ah")
  • When you turn off your computer you're not really shutting down. So your ram never really gets cleared out. So the old advice about shutdown your computer if it's acting flaking no longer applies. (Rebooting actually does shutdown and clear out your ram. So reboots aren't faster.) If you ever think you're having an issue because of something hanging around in memory fast startup can give you issues when you try to clear it out with the old advice of shutdown.
  • The big problem When you shut down it locks the drive. This means if you ever have problems where you can't start up you computer it's harder to get the data off of it. (Admittedly you can use the recovery console to get at the data but you can't just plug the drive into another computer and get the data.)
  • If you dual boot you won't be able to access the drive since it locked it down when you shut down. (If you reboot you would though.)
  • It also apparently has issues with encryption

So those are the main reasons, and the only advantage is it can save a few seconds at start up. (5 seconds in my case.) So in my mind it's not worth.

twilo99

Yeah here's what I was looking to do now, you see anything to change?

Looks great to me!

A few pages back here talked about this case, pricey, but very efficient and well reviewed .. not necessary at all for your build but worth a mention

Dipship31

Looks great to me!

A few pages back here talked about this case, pricey, but very efficient and well reviewed .. not necessary at all for your build but worth a mention

Sweet this is probably what I'll go with. It's been a while since I bought an OS, but I take it with a new build, and me wanting to sell my current build in tact, I'll probably need to buy a new Windows key correct?

Irobot82

I currently have 16GB of DDR4 3600 CL16 ram. I want to upgrade to 36GB. Now I bought these in 2019.
I can still buy the exact same model for $57.
Or I can buy a 32GB kit for $99.

My fear is even though it is the exact same model number of ram that they may have swapped out the RAM chips for something else.

Should I risk it? Would 4 slots have worse performance than 2 slots? Is it enough to matter?

Should I just go with the 32GB kit instead?

hinch7

I currently have 16GB of DDR4 3600 CL16 ram. I want to upgrade to 36GB. Now I bought these in 2019.

My fear is even though it is the exact same model number of ram that they may have swapped out the RAM chips for something else.

Should I risk it? Would 4 slots have worse performance than 2 slots? Is it enough to matter?

I would personally just stump out that little extra and buy a new kit. There would be so many different batches in 3-4 years. And having 4 slots filled will limit your overclock ability of both RAM and probably the CPU too. Draw slightly higher at ~6W per kit.

Up to you, if funds are an issue then may be worth it. Otherwise I'd recommend against it and buy new. Optimally you'd get a pair of dual rank DDR4 in two slots. Having 4 slots filled won't hamper performance. It may even increase performance if your kit is single (sided) rank to begin with. On the other side your motherboard may not be able to handle 4x modules of 3600 in XMP.

Here's a video explanation. Not much difference maybe 1-2% here or there.. tbh but something worth considering

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wierd. Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE

Thermalright Peerless Assassin and ID-Cooling SE 207XT Advanced have basically killed the FUMA2 which itself basically took out the D series Noctuas.

No real reason to be overspending on cooling.

winjer

Gold Member

A few things to consider. With time companies change the chips they use on their memory kits. This means if you buy a kit now, it will probably use different chips than the ones you already have.
This can cause all sort of problems with memory compatibility.

Another thing to consider is how many ranks your current memory has. it it's already a dual rank kit, that means the memory controller will have to manage 4 ranks. This is OK.
But if you add another 2 dimms with dual rank, that pushes the number of ranks to 8. This is very hard to manage by the memory controller.
If you have single rank, that means a total of 4 ranks, much easier for the memory controller. So check how many ranks you have now.

Another thing to consider is your motherboard. If it's a daisy chain, then the A1+B1 traces will be significantly weaker than the A2+B2 slots.
So when you put a kit in the A1+B1 slots, memory speed will go down.
For example, there is a user on Guru3d, that this week was trying to add another 2X8GB to his system. With the memory at the A2+B2, he could easily clock them to 3600MT/s
But with the memory on the A1+B1 slots, he could barely clock it at 3200.
Do a simple test. Take the memory from the A2+B2 channels, and put them on the A1+B1. See how well that works out.

Also consider, that to drive 4 dimms, you will need higher voltages for vsoc, vccsa, vdimm and a few other things.

Overall, I would recommend you to sell the ram you have and buy a 2X16GB kit. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Last edited:

Irobot82

A few things to consider. With time companies change the chips they use on their memory kits. This means if you buy a kit now, it will probably use different chips than the ones you already have.

Another thing to consider is how many ranks your current memory has. it it's already a dual rank kit, that means the memory controller will have to manage 4 ranks. This is OK.
But if you add another 2 dimms with dual rank, that pushes the number of ranks to 8. This is very hard to manage by the memory controller.
If you have single rank, that means a total of 4 ranks, much easier for the memory controller. So check how many ranks you have now.

Another thing to consider is your motherboard. If it's a daisy chain, then the A1+B1 traces will be significantly weaker than the A2+B2 slots.
For example, there is a user on Guru3d, that this week was trying to add another 2X8GB to his system. With the memory at the A2+B2, he could easily clock them to 3600MT/s
Do a simple test. Take the memory from the A2+B2 channels, and put them on the A1+B1. See how well that works out.

Also consider, that to drive 4 dimms, you will need higher voltages for vsoc, vccsa, vdimm and a few other things.

Overall, I would recommend you to sell the ram you have and buy a 2X16GB kit. It will save you a lot of headaches.
I have an X570 Auros Elite MB. I am pretty sure most all 8GB kits are signle rank. But my biggest worry is the chips being different.....crap. I'll just spend the money and buy a new 32GB kit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have an X570 Auros Elite MB. I am pretty sure most all 8GB kits are signle rank. But my biggest worry is the chips being different.....crap. I'll just spend the money and buy a new 32GB kit.
For what it’s worth, I had 16gb and then a year or two later bought another of the same kit to double my memory. I just slapped in the new kit and it’s been running flawlessly since day one. I eventually upgraded my cpu and motherboard but kept my memory and it’s been working flawlessly in my current system for years now as well. (G.skill ripjaws v)

hinch7

Thermalright Peerless Assassin and ID-Cooling SE 207XT Advanced have basically killed the FUMA2 which itself basically took out the D series Noctuas.

No real reason to be overspending on cooling.
True. Air coolers have come a long way in the last couple of years. For CPU's under 150W, these these newer coolers are more than enough for most builds. Decent aesthetics, good mounts, thermal paste and much cheaper than flagships of yesteryears Nh-d15 and Dark Rock Pro 4.

A couple years ago I'd see NH-D15 as the go to for high end cooling. But Noctua have price hiked their stuff and that from $80 to $100+ its not worth it, unless you have a 13900K and plan on big overclockand/ or no PL. And even then there's good alternatives like the FC140/FS140 at half the price, or less when on offer.

On another note.. picked up a Thermalright Phanton Spirit 120 SE for £38 which is the kinda like the successor the PA. Still need to install but its nuts what you can get for under $40 these days.

Last edited:

Irobot82

For what it’s worth, I had 16gb and then a year or two later bought another of the same kit to double my memory. I just slapped in the new kit and it’s been running flawlessly since day one. I eventually upgraded my cpu and motherboard but kept my memory and it’s been working flawlessly in my current system for years now as well. (G.skill ripjaws v)
Mine are F4-3600C16D-16GVKC

Yerd

Can any of you guys recommend a small keyboard that is low profile, compact size, to fit in a bag with a laptop? Mechanical or not. I don't want that clicky noise. I don't know how people can suffer through that crap.

I see these tiny keyboards people use for their desktops, but I want that with a lower vertical profile.

Since I had so many suggestions. I settled on a keyboard no one suggested.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QKVTKBV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Since gone up in price after I bought. Good timing.

I haven't used it yet, but just hitting the keys as I "hack the cia mainframe" sounds much better than my keyboard I use on my desktop. The keys also feel much more solid and comfortable. I've never really been that invested in keyboards before. I like this thing, so far. I am looking to replace my desktop keyboard now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

4 sticks of mem causes so many issues I am surprised that we dont have more boards with just two slots.

GHG

So Nvidia doesn’t include DLSS in their drivers? I’m confused.

The dll files are packaged with game files.

The reason being that not all games/engines are compatible with all versions of dlss. So Nvidia leave it up to the developers to decide which version of DLSS to develop and ship with.

If these files were supplied at a driver level then it would result in lots of games breaking/becoming buggy unless developers constantly update their games to keep pace with the new DLSS versions.

Last edited:

Yerd

So Nvidia doesn’t include DLSS in their drivers? I’m confused.
It's game specific. That dll is housed within the game folders. When you have a game using DLSS installed on your system and download new drivers, it's installing all the files to work the GPU, it's not going to fix all the old games you have. The dll file in the game folder is basically creating a bridge with the game and the driver to function. I believe that's a stupid guy's understanding of it.

When you get a game update through steam or such, it will probably have the file. It's there at TPU for you to update yourself.

winjer

Gold Member
Its happening isnt it?
Cheap super capable PCs on the horizon.

kanzRN3.png

RWRto1t.png

The cuts on the NVidia cards could be just to clear stock before the release of the 4060 and 4070 cards.
Nvidia is now on another GPU boom because of ChatGPT and AI. It probably won't be as big as the mining craze but GPU prices are bound to continue high on NVidia's 4000 series.
And unlike with mining, AMD won't benefit from ChatGPT due to their lacking Machine Learning capabilities on consumer GPUs.
Intel will probably also benefit, but they might be hampered by software support.

At least on the CPU side, prices are steadily falling. But motherboards are still high, despite a huge drop in sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom