• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2024. 240 Hz OLEDs, PCI-Gen5, Path Tracing & Ray Reconstruction.

GreatnessRD

If evga still kicking, they could solve the Rtx 4090 problem easily.
Get Em Mixed Martial Arts GIF by UFC

twilo99

Honestly I use my airpods pro for quick games or when I don't want to bother with my (heavy) headset and its fine. Ok sound and no perceivable delay. Just try it.

I did, the quality is horrid for me, just like it’s described in that link I posted. What is your set up like?

zephiross

I did, the quality is horrid for me, just like it’s described in that link I posted. What is your set up like?
bluetooth dongle, no particuliar software other than basic win11 built in fonctions. On the link you posted they said they had 2 audio profiles poping up. I only have one, no stereo without mic or mono with mic in the bluetooth settings. I have itunes installed, I don't know if it provides specific drivers for the airpods as it does for the iphone, maybe that's something to check.

I would'nt describe myself as an audiophile, but I care about quality sound nevertheless and the sound I get with the airpods is honestly on par with what I get when it's connected to any other device.

Edit: I never checked if the mic was fonctionning though since i use my heaset when i need it, but i'll give it a try tonight to let you know.

Last edited:

hinch7

Woop new thread. Looking forward to seeing how the new GPU's will change up the PC market. Hopefully all three GPU vendors bring something new and interesting to the table. Value if not anything else.

At least the in the monitor space.. things are going at break neck speeds.

twilo99

bluetooth dongle, no particuliar software other than basic win11 built in fonctions. On the link you posted they said they had 2 audio profiles poping up. I only have one, no stereo without mic or mono with mic in the bluetooth settings. I have itunes installed, I don't know if it provides specific drivers for the airpods as it does for the iphone, maybe that's something to check.

I would'nt describe myself as an audiophile, but I care about quality sound nevertheless and the sound I get with the airpods is honestly on par with what I get when it's connected to any other device.

Edit: I never checked if the mic was fonctionning though since i use my heaset when i need it, but i'll give it a try tonight to let you know.

Basically the same set up as me and I’ve got iTunes installed as well. I’ll mess with some more, it definitely has something to do with the mic..

You will definitely know what I’m talking about if you heard it.. it sounds like an 1960s AM transistor lol

Only with games tho, as soon as play a song in the music app, Spotify, or the browser it’s perfect..

edit.

got it

Last edited:

zephiross

Basically the same set up as me and I’ve got iTunes installed as well. I’ll mess with some more, it definitely has something to do with the mic..

You will definitely know what I’m talking about if you heard it.. it sounds like an 1960s AM transistor lol

Only with games tho, as soon as play a song in the music app, Spotify, or the browser it’s perfect..

edit.

got it

Welp seems like I was wrong, just tested and the sound quality is indeed atrocious if the airpods are set as microphone whether system wide or just in discord for example. I never used them as a mic on PC so I never encountered this issue before. Set anyother peripheral as microphone and the sound goes back to normal.

twilo99

Welp seems like I was wrong, just tested and the sound quality is indeed atrocious if the airpods are set as microphone whether system wide or just in discord for example. I never used them as a mic on PC so I never encountered this issue before. Set anyother peripheral as microphone and the sound goes back to normal.

Check that video I posted, it fixes it, unfortunately I think there still a very slight deley despite my bt adapter being BT 5.2

Jesb

Do you guys think it’s a waste of money if increased my ram on my really old pc build? I’m on a amd fx 8320 7970 gpu with 8gb of ram. I can go up to 32 Would it be a waste to upgrade with more ram or a waste you think?

Singular7

Do you guys think it’s a waste of money if increased my ram on my really old pc build? I’m on a amd fx 8320 7970 gpu with 8gb of ram. I can go up to 32 Would it be a waste to upgrade with more ram or a waste you think?
Cheap and worthwhile, 8gb isnt enough. Do it.

Bojji

Go from 8 to 16, its a total waste above that.

Rossco EZ

Thinking of upgrading from 16gb to 32gb ram. What’s better ram for pairing with a 5800x3D, 3200 or 3600? Heard that with x3d chips it doesn’t matter as much but if I’m upgrading would rather get the better of the two

lachesis

Ordered most of my parts from #36 sans I opted out for Peerless Assassin 120SE for cooler.
Nvidia conference is tomorrow - so hopefully by end of January, I will be running with a new rig. $999 4080 Super or $799 4070Ti Super, are ones that I'm eyeing.
Next year or so, will probably look for a new monitor(s). UHD + 120hz(+) VRR + Excellent color accuracy (for my work) w/o burn in would be the criteria.
Dell has made 27" 1440p Ultrasharp IPS black monitors that are close enough for my criteria sans resolution, so I may go with that route if they go on a sale sometime this year...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
13-15 notebook. As light as possilbe.
For wife watching netflix.
Right now she has Acer swift 5 that's like 950grams. I bought it few years back because it was extremely light and it's fanttastic.
Just that speakers and battery suck ass. Audio is all crackly and I have diasbled all windows audio enhancers and so on... But the screen is nice 1080p glossy ips. Even has touch.

This time around I am lazy, so I am asking here. In that same category, around 1000$, what is recommended just for netflix and copying movies to kindle :p
Apple macbook air m2 maybe ? 13.6", but is 8gb enough? I don't know anyhthing about macs. I mean, we both have iphones and she has an apple watch so maybe it makes some sense.
Can just install media player classic home cinema on there and play normal movies? I know mac is weird but I have no idea really.

And iof I want to stay on windows, then what light laptops remain? I see acer swift 5 is kinda gone... maybe lg gram or some asus vivobook? I hate dell so don't even try to recommend that :p
edit: Is there solitaire on macbook ?!

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Thinking of upgrading from 16gb to 32gb ram. What’s better ram for pairing with a 5800x3D, 3200 or 3600? Heard that with x3d chips it doesn’t matter as much but if I’m upgrading would rather get the better of the two

The gains for tweaking memory on a 5800X3d are smaller than on a normal Zen3. But it might be worth it, if you like tweaking and have the time and patience for it.
The average does improve by around 5%, depending on the game. But the 1% lows can improve by around 8%, which is very nice.

With 3600 MT/s memory, only XMP, you will see smaller gains. But it's still worth it, if the price difference is not big, to extract a bit more performance.

39eYCA7.png

Rossco EZ

The gains for tweaking memory on a 5800X3d are smaller than on a normal Zen3. But it might be worth it, if you like tweaking and have the time and patience for it.
The average does improve by around 5%, depending on the game. But the 1% lows can improve by around 8%, which is very nice.

With 3600 MT/s memory, only XMP, you will see smaller gains. But it's still worth it, if the price difference is not big, to extract a bit more performance.

39eYCA7.png
Appreciate the reply! The difference between the 3200 and 3600 ram is about £6-£7 so I will just go with the 3600.

When I switch the old ram out with the new do I need to do anything before hand in the bios or before turning the PC off? Or just take the old sticks out and put new in and I’m done? I know once the new ram is in I will have to go to bios to enable XMP again right?

Last edited:

Jesb

Hoping someone can help me out. I’m having problems with an older PC. I was not having any problems with it but wanted to upgrade ram from 8gb to 16 and now my pc won’t boot and it beeps now everytime I try. What’s messed up is I can’t even boot it now with just the old ram I had in there. So I took it out and now suddenly it doesn’t work if I put it back in.

The ram is seated properly on the old ram or the new ram so it’s not that. I’ve tested both the old ram and new ram as one stick on every slot and it does the same thing. I’ve tried removing cmos and putting it back and that did nothing.

How is it my old ram doesn’t work now just because I unplugged it. That is so weird. So new ram doesn’t work and also old ram won’t work. According to my mobo manual it says it supports ddr3 1600 memory so new ram should work.

My specs.

Amd fx 8320
7970 gpu
Mobo 970A-G45
Old Ram PC3-10666 1.5v 2x4GB
New Ram that I just bought. DDR3L-1600 8gbx2. 1.35v This is compatible or no?

Last edited:

drotahorror

13-15 notebook. As light as possilbe.
For wife watching netflix.
Right now she has Acer swift 5 that's like 950grams. I bought it few years back because it was extremely light and it's fanttastic.
Just that speakers and battery suck ass. Audio is all crackly and I have diasbled all windows audio enhancers and so on... But the screen is nice 1080p glossy ips. Even has touch.

This time around I am lazy, so I am asking here. In that same category, around 1000$, what is recommended just for netflix and copying movies to kindle :p
Apple macbook air m2 maybe ? 13.6", but is 8gb enough? I don't know anyhthing about macs. I mean, we both have iphones and she has an apple watch so maybe it makes some sense.
Can just install media player classic home cinema on there and play normal movies? I know mac is weird but I have no idea really.

And iof I want to stay on windows, then what light laptops remain? I see acer swift 5 is kinda gone... maybe lg gram or some asus vivobook? I hate dell so don't even try to recommend that :p
edit: Is there solitaire on macbook ?!
Does it have to be a laptop? For that kind of money you can get a super nice 13-14 inch Samsung oled tablet.

winjer

Gold Member
Appreciate the reply! The difference between the 3200 and 3600 ram is about £6-£7 so I will just go with the 3600.

When I switch the old ram out with the new do I need to do anything before hand in the bios or before turning the PC off? Or just take the old sticks out and put new in and I’m done? I know once the new ram is in I will have to go to bios to enable XMP again right?

You can probably just set all memory configs you might have changed to the default value.
After installing the new memory the system will train the new memory, so the first boot will take a bit longer.
Then you can go back into the bios and enable XMP. It will retrain the memory again.

Waiting on that 5090 shiiiit.... I bet it's gonna be like 1999, at least! If it's any lower, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll be waiting awhile, yet.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hoping someone can help me out. I’m having problems with an older PC. I was not having any problems with it but wanted to upgrade ram from 8gb to 16 and now my pc won’t boot and it beeps now everytime I try. What’s messed up is I can’t even boot it now with just the old ram I had in there. So I took it out and now suddenly it doesn’t work if I put it back in.

The ram is seated properly on the old ram or the new ram so it’s not that. I’ve tested both the old ram and new ram as one stick on every slot and it does the same thing. I’ve tried removing cmos and putting it back and that did nothing.

How is it my old ram doesn’t work now just because I unplugged it. That is so weird. So new ram doesn’t work and also old ram won’t work. According to my mobo manual it says it supports ddr3 1600 memory so new ram should work.

My specs.

Amd fx 8320
7970 gpu
Mobo 970A-G45
Old Ram PC3-10666 1.5v 2x4GB
New Ram that I just bought. DDR3L-1600 8gbx2. 1.35v This is compatible or no?
Time for a new PC.

DanEON

does anyone know a good guide on how to clean up all the trash that runs in background of win 11?? I remember some user mentioned it in last thread.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Obviously would like to but it’s not an option at the moment. It was working fine until I took the ram out, still can’t figure out what’s going on.
PCs that old can stop working fine at any time. Even doing seemingly harmless things.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What are the temps everyone is getting on their M2 ssds? My samsung 980 Pro goes up to 65 degrees during Alan Wake 2 and I am wondering if thats whats causing the stuttering. Its probably a memory leak since rebooting the game fixes those stuters but im worried 65 degrees might be too high. Samsung Magician says its too high at 63.

I have the ssd under one of the silver/metal heatsinks that come with the mobo and it is around 25 degrees when I boot up the PC.

Hi guys.

I have been out of the gaming circle for some time ( a few years, bacisally) and want to come back in PC gaming.

I can get a good deal on this config (1500 buckaroos) :

Corsair 3000D Airflow Black

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X (8x 4.5GHz / 5...

Endorfy Fortis 5

MSI PRO B650-S WIFI DDR5

32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 AMD/Intel 600...

1TB Kingston NV2 M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4...

12GB MSI RTX4070 VENTUS 3X E

850W Gigabyte GP-UD850GM 80+ gold

Do you see any obvious problem? I have been completely out of the loop and this read like ancient Greek to me.

I want to play some of the latest "cutting edge" games (Cyberpunk etc.) and also oldies from the 90ies which I have a Steam account full of. Would a Ryzen have compatibility problems with older games, compared to Intel?

Last edited:

Zathalus

These threads need more references for Euroland.
On Amazon Italy the prices are significantly higher than those listed in OP.

Apart from this, thanks. It’s very useful to get an idea of what to buy.
Prices in the OP don't include tax, so for Italy you need to add the 22% VAT. Once you do that they are not that far off from each other (obviously the 4090 is a outlier, can't get that for MSRP anywhere).

winjer

Gold Member
Hi guys.

I have been out of the gaming circle for some time ( a few years, bacisally) and want to come back in PC gaming.

Endorfy Fortis 5

MSI PRO B650-S WIFI DDR5

Do you see any obvious problem? I have been completely out of the loop and this read like ancient Greek to me.

I want to play some of the latest "cutting edge" games (Cyberpunk etc.) and also oldies from the 90ies which I have a Steam account full of. Would a Ryzen have compatibility problems with older games, compared to Intel?

It's a decent mid-range system. The cooler is a bit on the cheap low-end. It's probably enough for that CPU, especially if you use Curve Optimizer. But if you get a chance to swap it for something better, do it.

hinch7

Hi guys.

Endorfy Fortis 5

MSI PRO B650-S WIFI DDR5

That PSU may be an issue if not now.. maybe in the future. I wouldn't trust that personally - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...supplies-newegg-sold-to-desperate-gpu-buyers/ Otherwise the rest looks quite good for the price.

If you can build your own you could probably get yourself a 4070 Super in there at similar cost. And a much more reputable PSU from Corsair, EVGA, Superflower, FSP etc.

Last edited:

hinch7

Is it hard to assemble with 0 experience?
Depends.. it will take quite a bit of patience and reading/watching to get right. Its not that hard, its just like slotting a bunch of stuff like lego's but does require a bit of know-how and where and which orientation stuff goes in. There's a bunch guides on Youtube to help build a PC from scratch. So long as you're comfortable with spending several hours slotting stuff in and screwing in, and playing around with settings. Otherwise, I'd probably advise against it, if no experience.. and its probably better to find a complete PC.

There's some SI's like Dell/Alienware and Cyberpower that come with customisable PC's and allow you to choose your bits. May be a bit more expensive but it will come fully assembled and ready to go. Plus warranty if anything goes wrong. I'd say the first PC you linked isn't bad if it comes with warranty. Otherwise you can have a look at Dell or Cyberpower - https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Ultra-4070-Gaming-PC They have a decent build in there with a choice of good quality components. There's even a choice for the 4070 Super thats shipping in a week or two.

Last edited:
It's a decent mid-range system. The cooler is a bit on the cheap low-end. It's probably enough for that CPU, especially if you use Curve Optimizer. But if you get a chance to swap it for something better, do it.

That PSU may be an issue if not now.. maybe in the future. I wouldn't trust that personally - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...supplies-newegg-sold-to-desperate-gpu-buyers/ Otherwise the rest looks quite good for the price.

If you can build your own you could probably get yourself a 4070 Super in there at similar cost. And a much more reputable PSU from Corsair, EVGA, Superflower, FSP etc.

The guy for around the same price can get me this, if I build it myself :

AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Corsair 3000D Airflow
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 WINDFORCE OC
Asus TUF GAMING A620M-PLUS WIFI
Crucial Pro - 2 x 16 Go (32 Go) - DDR5 5600 MHz - CL46
WD_BLACK SN850X wither a diissipator- 1 To - with thermal dissipator
Be Quiet Power System 10 750W - Bronze

Would this be better?

He said I can also wait a week or 2 for the 4070 SUPER at almost the same price (he didn't have final prices)

Last edited:

hinch7

The guy for around the same price can get me this, if I build it myself :

AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Corsair 3000D Airflow
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 WINDFORCE OC
Asus TUF GAMING A620M-PLUS WIFI
Crucial Pro - 2 x 16 Go (32 Go) - DDR5 5600 MHz - CL46
WD_BLACK SN850X wither a diissipator- 1 To - with thermal dissipator
Be Quiet Power System 10 750W - Bronze

Would this be better?

He said I can also wait a week or 2 for the 4070 SUPER at almost the same price (he didn't have final prices)
Hmm.. I'd say the build linked before is way better outside the PSU. That RAM kit is a big downgrade and would affect performance of your whole system, gaming included. You want a decent RAM kit - say 32GB 6000MT/s CL30-36 (lower is better) memory which is relatively inexpensive these days. And motherboard a bit low end and restrictive and the MSI B650 in the previous build, way better in the long run. If you could get the same build as the first with a swapped out PSU - something like a Corsair RM or something in this list - https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ in the A to B tier, that should last you a long time.

Or check to see if that Gigabyte PSU is a newer, revised model (V2) and you could risk using that. Not sure its its worth downgrading everything else for a 4070 Super. Since you'd be giving up a bit of clock on the CPU from from X to lower binned 7700 non X (probably not perceivable in gaming). A lower tier motherboard with less NVMe slots for expansions and i/o (USB 3.X, USB-C slots) plus low end ram and bronze tier and presumably low end PSU.

As an FYI, I'd never skimp on a power supply. A good power supply can last you nearly indefinately and multiple PC's if its a decent unit and kept in good condition. I've had my power supply (EVGA 750W G2) for nearly 7 years and its been stable as a rock.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
does anyone know a good guide on how to clean up all the trash that runs in background of win 11?? I remember some user mentioned it in last thread.

This is germane to my interests as well. I don't want to follow just any ol' guide on YouTube, though, and fuck something up. Still, base install of Win 11 Pro does seem to have quite a bit of shite running around in the back woods.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I have no idea how to take photos in low light with my phone, but anyway here's how the final build looks. I also have no idea how not to insert massive ass pics, so apologies if this breaks your eyes.

The side-on pic makes it look like there's a mess of cables in the back, but that's just a reflect of actual mess of cables on my desk surface behind my monitor. I didn't do the absolute best in cable management, but it's fairly clean and runs cool as hell.

5y9NKhM.jpg
VQLRQFo.jpg

Hmm.. I'd say the build linked before is way better outside the PSU. That RAM kit is a big downgrade and would affect performance of your whole system, gaming included. You want a decent RAM kit - say 32GB 6000MT/s CL30-36 (lower is better) memory which is relatively inexpensive these days. And motherboard a bit low end and restrictive and the MSI B650 in the previous build, way better in the long run. If you could get the same build as the first with a swapped out PSU - something like a Corsair RM or something in this list - https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ in the A to B tier, that should last you a long time.

Or check to see if that Gigabyte PSU is a newer, revised model (V2) and you could risk using that. Not sure its its worth downgrading everything else for a 4070 Super. Since you'd be giving up a bit of clock on the CPU from from X to lower binned 7700 non X (probably not perceivable in gaming). A lower tier motherboard with less NVMe slots for expansions and i/o (USB 3.X, USB-C slots) plus low end ram and bronze tier and presumably low end PSU.

As an FYI, I'd never skimp on a power supply. A good power supply can last you nearly indefinately and multiple PC's if its a decent unit and kept in good condition. I've had my power supply (EVGA 750W G2) for nearly 7 years and its been stable as a rock.
Thanks!

Also, is PCIE 4 not too limiting compared to PCIE 5?

Can someone recommend a motherboard for me please? I'm currently looking to upgrade my comp and not sure what route to go with motherboard. I'm upgrading from a4 5900x to a5 7800x3d. My current motherboard doesn't support a5 or ddr5. Currently using a 4090.

Quixz

Can someone recommend a motherboard for me please? I'm currently looking to upgrade my comp and not sure what route to go with motherboard. I'm upgrading from a4 5900x to a5 7800x3d. My current motherboard doesn't support a5 or ddr5. Currently using a 4090.

Please include your budget to help with recommendations.

twilo99

I’ve had this for about 2 years now and have zero complaints. It works great with AMDs VRR solution, solid response time, and in my opinion 165hz is more than enough for competitive gaming.

$250 is a very good price

M1987

How hard is to build a PC? I'm undecided whether I should get the 5800x3d for my existing PC,or sell my parts and get a 7600x system for not much more

winjer

Gold Member
How hard is to build a PC? I'm undecided whether I should get the 5800x3d for my existing PC,or sell my parts and get a 7600x system for not much more

It's not difficult. Especially considering there are so many good guides on youtube.
Just don't follow the Verge's guide :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

M1987

It's not difficult. Especially considering there are so many good guides on youtube.
Just don't follow the Verge's guide :messenger_beaming:

I'm just scared I might break something.Seen a few comments elsewhere about the front panel cables and 24 pin being a pain

Last edited:

Burger

If I have currently a Ryzen 2700x whatever, with a RTX 2080 - both quite ancient - but fine for 2560x1440 would upgrading to a 7800x3D and a 4070 Super allow me to get to 3840x2160 ?

winjer

Gold Member
If I have currently a Ryzen 2700x whatever, with a RTX 2080 - both quite ancient - but fine for 2560x1440 would upgrading to a 7800x3D and a 4070 Super allow me to get to 3840x2160 ?

That CPU is a bit old and outdated. So an upgrade would be useful, especially to improve the 1% lows.
You might be better by getting a 5800X3D, keeping the same motherboard and memory. Saving some money there.
Then instead of buying a 4070 Super, try to go for a 4080.

Top Bottom