• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think PlayStation lost a lot of its "magic" by porting its exlusives to PC

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Games are expensive to make so porting the PC is smart. If they decide one way or the other that PC sales are affecting their hardware/subscription business they can always slide the release window scale one direction or the other. Further, a lot of the magic of Playstation was lost long before their PC efforts started. They've found success and focused on blockbuster releases and that's limited the types of games they produce.
Also, their biggest success since PS ramped up profits since 2016 isn't even first party games. Their first party software sales are a small portion of sales and profits. Before 2016, the entire PS gaming division from PS1 to around 2015 or 2016 had roughly flat profits as it was a roller coaster ride of profits and losses. Even when LOU1 selling tons of copies and remasters at the end of the PS3 era/beginning of PS4 era barely made a budge into profits.

What made their gaming division zoom up the charts of financials was having 100M user base all buying digital through the PSN store and mtx galore and paying for online which for Sony started when PS4 launched.

Last edited:

Sentenza

God of War: 97%
Marvel’s Spider-Man: 96%
Days Gone: 92%
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves: 89%
Horizon: Zero Dawn: 86% (90% Recent)

It would seem Steam users paint a very different picture, questionable ports and all.
He was arguing that MOST people don't buy PS games on PC because "they already own a PS5", when a simpler explanation is that many just aren't that interested.

Not sure what the user score among THOSE WHO BOUGHT THE GAMES has to do with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
God of War: 97%
Marvel’s Spider-Man: 96%
Days Gone: 92%
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves: 89%
Horizon: Zero Dawn: 86% (90% Recent)

It would seem Steam users paint a very different picture, questionable ports and all.
For console gamers, those kinds of games can be a success. For PC gamers, they might not care. PC and console gamers are different.

That's like consoles getting ports of Counterstrike, League of Legends or Factorio and expecting the same success and following. They wont replicate the PC fanbase remotely closely.

Nautilus

Banned
Because a GPU costs more than your toy box.
PC is an essencial item.You use it for work, entertainment, other hobbies, etc. A console isn't. So why not just game on that essential item that has all the same games that a console has, and save some money, and upgrade once every 5 or 6 years?(The same as a console life cycle)

I mean, its such an obvious conceot...

Topher

Gold Member
He was arguing that MOST people don't buy PS games on PC because "they already own a PS5", when a simpler explanation is that many just aren't that interested.

You are both right obviously. Some like myself already own a PS5 and I play PS exclusives there. Others like my son don't care about PS exclusives and doesn't play them on either system.

DeezNutz

Banned
Every single one of their major releases is playable on PC anyway; they may as well get smart and start to profit from it making it official.
You must be drunk on donkey piss,not every major Playstation release is on PC, such as
Ghost of Tshushima
Infamous 2nd Son
Infamous Last Light
The last of us 2
Horizon Forbidden West
Astros Playroom
Grand Turismo Sport
Grand Turismo 7
Bloodborne
SOTC
Demons Souls Remake
Ratchet and Clank
Rachet and Clank Rift Apart
GOW Ragnarok
Ect ect ect

Vick

Not sure what the user score among THOSE WHO BOUGHT THE GAMES has to do with it.
Fair enough, I misinterpreted "AMAZINGLY DESIRABLE and the hottest shit" which does make perfect sense from the pov of what you meant.

For console gamers, those kinds of games can be a success. For PC gamers, they might not care. PC and console gamers are different.

That's like consoles getting ports of Counterstrike, League of Legends or Factorio and expecting the same success and following. They wont replicate the PC fanbase remotely closely.
Totally agree.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It definitely does not. The people who say this seem like corporate boot licking fan boys who are sad that people don't need to pay their favorite corporation (who does not give a shit about them in return mind you) 500 bucks to play their precious exclusives. When i hear people say this, all i can think of is this image

EBNpgtmWsAIY4dX.jpg:large

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It definitely does not. The people who say this seem like corporate boot licking fan boys who are sad that people don't need to pay their favorite corporation (who does not give a shit about them in return mind you) 500 bucks to play their precious exclusives. When i hear people say this, all i can think of is this image

EBNpgtmWsAIY4dX.jpg:large
And also the annual fees to play online.

Even the first time I played online gaming (Unreal over 20 years ago), I didn't pay any fees to Epic. Just log in, server browse and pick a match to join.

Sentenza

Listen Lady it's not my fault you spent valentines alone in a dog house...leave alone please
Look ,you can stop with the attempts to sound like a tough guy calling me "lady".
First, because it doesn't make you sound a single tidbit less retarded, second because it's not up to debate that you were OBJECTIVELY wrong but it's there for anyone to see, and third because if you weren't behind seven proxies there are good chances this "Lady" would pimp slap your dirty mouth until your teeth would come off.

Take your L for being an illiterate moron and go to cry yourself to sleep.

Last edited:

DeezNutz

Banned
Look ,you can stop with the attempts to sound like a tough guy calling me "lady".
First, because it doesn't make you sound a single tidbit less retarded, second because it's not up to debate that you were OBJECTIVELY wrong but it's there for anyone to see, and third because if you weren't behind seven proxies there are good chances this "Lady" would pimp slap your dirty mouth until your teeth would come off.
Blah blah blah "Nurse we go a patient who just escaped the mental ward,and is online making threats of violence towards the innocent "

By the way you will have to jump up and swing just to hit me on the knees...go play hide and seek with Snow White lady.

As an owner of a high-end PC with an RTX 4090 and a PS5, I can’t disagree more with the OP.

PS5 still has plenty to offer that my PC doesn’t have. Where is the PC version of Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok and GT7?

None of those games exist on PC and if they do they are years away. This doesn’t even include PSVR2 games that I wanna play that aren’t available on PC.

PC is just another way to experience Playstation games. It doesn’t hurt the console platform at all. In fact, Sony is breaking records with PS5 and they can’t seem to make them fast enough due to the insane demand for them.

Last edited:

MikeM

As an owner of a high-end PC with an RTX 4090 and a PS5, I can’t disagree more with the OP.

PS5 still has plenty to offer that my PC doesn’t have. Where is the PC version of Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok and GT7.

None of those games exist on PC and if they do they are years away. This doesn’t even include PSVR2 games that I wanna play that aren’t available on PC.

PC is just another way to experience Playstation games. It doesn’t hurt the console platform at all. In fact, Sony is breaking records with PS5 and they can’t seem to make them fast enough due to the insane demand for them.
Agreed. I have a 7900xt PC and still split my time between them 50/50.

Mr.Phoenix

PC is an essencial item.You use it for work, entertainment, other hobbies, etc. A console isn't. So why not just game on that essential item that has all the same games that a console has, and save some money, and upgrade once every 5 or 6 years?(The same as a console life cycle)

A Pc is an essentia item. A gaming PC...snot. Maybe he should have better said, because your GPU cost more than a PS5.

I can buy a PS5, and buy a $400 `essential` laptop, for under the price of some GPUs. And said GPU is just one of 7 things you need on a PC, and that's not including a controller (since that's optional) and a monitor.

You can probably see that I ate this PC value argument that is often thrown around because it makes no sense to me. People about PCs like a $400 PC can even remotely game like a PS5.

I currently have a PC with a 3080 by the way, and a $500 laptop, where I happen to do 90% of my PC stuff on. Truth be told my desktop PC is more like a HTPC gaming box.. So this is coming from place of me Just know that the PC-to-console value argument is full of crap.

I agree that PlayStation may have lost a lot of its magic, but embracing PC was absolutely the right thing to do and their strategy is impeccable. They’ve made no guarantees that support will continue indefinitely and they can stop at any time. PC support was great at a time when there were PS5 shortages and hedging against the risk of a new generation.

I know this isn’t a thread about Xbox, but by this standard, I also believe that Xbox has completely lost all of its magic, to the extent that it makes owning Xbox hardware completely redundant if you own a PC.

Rac3r

If games were launching day and date on PC then I'd agree with you; but I don't think there's a huge impact when they're ported a year later, or longer. Most people on console have moved on to the next big release by the time "old" PS games arrive on PC. I have a feeling that Factions 2 will be the first simultaneous release for PS Studios, and we can revisit this topic again when that happens.

Shifty1897

First I get jumped for saying the PSVR2 isn't going to set the world on fire and now people are pissed that I suggested that Sony letting their games come to PC years later is a good thing.

That's enough GAF for today.
Disgusted Parks And Recreation GIF

JaksGhost

Laptop/Console combo is what you would probably find in a large majority of homes right now. The need for a desktop PC is dead unless you work in an industry that specifically requires a rig.

Solidus_T

Most people will still buy a console because it just has a better value these days with insane GPU prices - and I say this as an owner of a high end PC. They are being smart about it, choosing to release the PC ports some time after so that people will still mostly choose the console versions, but the PC ports are still there for those who want to get a little extra juice.
I would encourage them to go even further and find out a way to make the PS store a launcher or make games purchased on PS downloadable on PC.
Also they need to make PSVR2 PC compatible in my opinion. GT7 VR is legit and would blow up on PC.

For me, PlayStation got this magic notion, thanks to great quality exclusives like Ratchet and Clank, GT, among others.
PlayStation was like an arcade saloon, and if you have ever been to one, you know what I mean by that.

But now, they release one by one, all of its pearls to PC, so why bother, and buy PlayStation 5 if you have gaming PC?
Sure, you can play earlier, but it is not the same anymore.

What do you think?
I'm sure people who are unable or otherwise unwilling to spend $1000 to build an equivalently performing PC are perfectly happy.

The reason they did this is because despite what people on a nerd forum like this like to think, the actual overlap between PC gamers and console gamers is actually very small.
Most people don't give a shit.

Top Bottom