• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Dr. Disrespect comes back, would you support him?

If Dr. Disrespect comes back, would you support him

• Yes, I am a fan of the Doc and would still support

• No, though I am a fan of the Doc, I cannot continue to support him

• Yes, not really a fan of the Doc, but I think he is being treated unfairly

• No, not really a fan of the Doc and I cannot support this.

• Maybe, but only if (comment below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

gatti-man

I don't know why people keep jumping on this like it's a defence for him. Twitch settled out of court to make sure this didn't blow up and affect their bottom line. None of it is proof or otherwise of how bad his behaviour was. Watch the Alanah Pearce video in the other thread. Corporations do not go to the police when they have evidence of this kind of thing, because they don't want the reputational damage.
It was already blown up. Everyone talked about it and is still talking about it. If anything twitch showing the receipts would have made it go away faster. I don’t get this line of logic. Also most companies don’t pay out millions of dollars for nothing. Still makes zero sense to me and it allowed Dr D to basically set the narrative until now. Makes Twitch look even worse if you think it should be career killing.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It was already blown up. Everyone talked about it and is still talking about it. If anything twitch showing the receipts would have made it go away faster. I don’t get this line of logic. Also most companies don’t pay out millions of dollars for nothing. Still makes zero sense to me and it allowed Dr D to basically set the narrative until now. Makes Twitch look even worse if you think it should be career killing.

You think Twitch are going to openly come out and say 'Hey! Not only does our platform allow grooming of minors, but we have access to every message anyone can send!'

Come on. It'd be a PR disaster. Far better for them to pay out money, and hope the whole thing goes away. Which of course it never does. But corporations never really learn.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
17 is a minor in certain states 😂 even I know that and I'm fucking British

Pretty regressive for a Western democracy, where age of consent being 16 is pretty standard.

Sorry, but when as a Brit you should be aware of Labour's plans to lower voting age to 16 when they (almost inevitably) take power next week. I'm struggling to feel the outrage!

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Feel free to comment, but I've declined to display votes publicly and participants cannot view results prior to voting themselves. I do this to prevent social conformism and to hopefully get the most honest answers.
Walter White Insult GIF by Breaking Bad

I thought he was a wanker before this all came to light and now I think he's a nonce. I hope his wife takes him to the cleaners. ❤️

Fredrik

This was 4 years ago so DrD was 38, while the woman was 17, sending "inappropriate messages", we have no idea what that entails. It literally could've been "ooo you've got a cracking arse luv" lol.

How is this even a story?
A 38yo texting ”ooo, you’ve got a cracking arse luv” to a 17yo would be creepy. And legal age is 15 where I am.

Last edited:

thief183

So I don't understand... he is a pedo cause he chatted with 17 yo? At 17 in the US you can drive a car and buy a weapon (not sure about the weapon) but if you chat with an older person you send him to jail?

Hold on a sec, was he caught sexting a 17y.o.??? I thought it was a kid???

This was always my assumption. Past the age of consent (so no legal issues) but still a poor choice to say the least. I see grown men hit on 16 and 17 year olds all the time and i personally think it's kinda gross but not a reason to end someones career. More like a reason to crack them over the head and tell them to cut it the F out. If she was really 17 doc will get rich off of the defamation lawsuits that will follow since people were framing this person as being a child. In no world is a 17 year old considered a child as they barely even quailfy as minor and are typically classified as adults in court cases. Still, who the hell feels the need to support a multimillionaire, guility, innocent or in between. I find the whole concept of the normies supporting the rich silly.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Gold Member
You think Twitch are going to openly come out and say 'Hey! Not only does our platform allow grooming of minors, but we have access to every message anyone can send!'

Come on. It'd be a PR disaster. Far better for them to pay out money, and hope the whole thing goes away. Which of course it never does. But corporations never really learn.
All I'll say is that NDAs are legally voided for criminal behavior. No corporation is going to write up and sign documents that explicate their liability for knowingly abetting or concealing a crime and paying for it.

Shut0wen

Dude is a piece of shit, but people really need to stop throwing the term "pedo" nonchalant. Their is a huge difference between someone texting 17 year old and someone who is into actual little kids.
Judging from what twitch man said nudes were exchanged, which is infact illegal for anyone under 18, yes id say hes a peado plus the guys fucking cringe

Judging from what twitch man said nudes were exchanged, which is infact illegal for anyone under 18, yes id say hes a peado plus the guys fucking cringe

"Twitch man said" is your evidence that pics were exchanged? Not a doc fan and he is really coming off as a scumbag but come on.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have a 12y.o. daughter, if some man was sexting her id probably end up in prison and he'd be on the hot end of a Johannesburg Tire special but if it was a 17y.o. then that's verging more into "dirty fucking creep" territory than "let's get the nonce" territory, I don't get it, who the fuck wants to communicate with teenagers anyway, they're complete head melts, he wasn't someone I'd regularly watch but what I did catch of him was amusing, I'll reserve my pitchfork till I see the texts and actual age of the recipient
So, as the father of a future 12 yo girl myself, what do you do to monitor your daughter? I occasionally listen in to the streams my older son joins and the chatter of his games, but don't really check his texts since it doesn't seem like he does it much. Do you read her chat logs or have access to her social media?

Mr.Phoenix

Don't know if this is off topic... or if this is even the place to ask. But it's either this or I create a thread just to ask one question. So here's my question.

Why do people watch other people play games?

I don't get it... I can understand watching a snippet of a game if you are looking for a hint or if its some guide. But why would someone, put hours of their time, into watching someone else play a game? It's like watching a stream of someone else watching a movie.

I don't get it.

RavageX

What does he do again?

He streams video games, I get that. But what does he do?
To my knowledge, nothing.

IMO, this fad if you can call it that seems to be very stupid. Maybe I am missing something or I could just be too old, but why would I want to spend what little free time I do have watching someone else play a game unless I am looking for guidance.

Literally last night I was trying to see some gameplay of Hogwarts since it is on sale, I was hoping to justify a purchase as I don't give a damn about Harry Potter but the game itself looks interesting. Clicked a video and the person "playing" stopped doing anything in the game, stood there and started talking.

A waste of my time.

Again, IMO streamers are a lucky few who are cashing in on this unfortunate era of gaming. If you told me growing up that people would sit around and donate money to watch someone talk about nonsense while playing a game I'd have died laughing.

But to get to the point. NO. I wouldn't support him, or any other streamer for that matter.

chonga

Don't know if this is off topic... or if this is even the place to ask. But it's either this or I create a thread just to ask one question. So here's my question.

I don't get it... I can understand watching a snippet of a game if you are looking for a hint or if its some guide. But why would someone, put hours of their time, into watching someone else play a game? It's like watching a stream of someone else watching a movie.

I don't get it.
I think can you split it into two types of appeal.

One is the people who are very skilled, those people look and act like boring everyday people. The other is people who are, like Dr Disrespect, do not look like a boring everyday person and nor act like one. They are essentially a character. Obviously Dr Disrespect is very obviously a character, but not all of these people put on a costume.

People will watch the skilled players for the same reason they watch sports, for the impressive skill you might see. When finished viewers won't remember what was said, but rather a piece of gameplay.

For the others, whilst yeah they might be good at gaming, the game is almost incidental and purely a vessel to allow the character to riff and be entertaining. When finished viewers won't remember the gameplay, but rather what was said.

Oh and don't forget titties, some people just view for titties.

Braag

I don't watch streamers or have any allegiance towards any of them. I'v not followed DrDisrespect's situation much either. Did he know that he was messaging a minor? Cause if he did, then that's fucked up.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Dude is a piece of shit, but people really need to stop throwing the term "pedo" nonchalant. There is a huge difference between someone texting 17 year old and someone who is into actual little kids.

Once more: nobody knows the age of the child concerned. She could be younger.

Kuranghi

A 38yo texting ”ooo, you’ve got a cracking arse luv” to a 17yo would be creepy. And legal age is 15 where I am.

What if the 17 yo went after the older guy first? Said something similar the other way round.

Is there no personal responsibility for the woman? I'm not arguing that he was doing something morally he knew he shouldn't be.

If that was your 17 yo daughter would you not say why tf were you talking like that with a man you knew was 38?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I don't get it.
The only streamer I actually watch play regularly is a guy who stream World of Tanks and then it’s only because he plays and reviews new premium tanks and I want to see how they perform plus I enjoy just getting tips and his general breakdown of some of the mechanics of the game.

I often listen to some in their openings when chatting because some can make me laugh while I do things at my desk.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It wasn't his "coworker". This is all the same regurgitated bs that makes it sound completely different than what happened. Two female comedians he did a show with came back to his room at 2 am after a night of drinking.
It’s not that serious of a conversation and the point was to relate it to an average person and what they might correlate to. These people are a part of an industry and do work together, most people can’t relate directly to that profession but it isn’t “BS” to call them coworkers.

Being drunk isn’t some excuse, even if you boiled this down to “2 girls and a guy are friends drank and he whipped his dick out and asked if he could jerk off once they were alone in his apartment” it’s still serious sexual harassment. Wasn’t even the only thing he did lol

Like Jesus Christ that shit is extreme lol. Same with having inappropriate chats with minors.

Considering both of those things completely off limits in general, let alone associating those actions with your career, is absolutely the social norm. It’s not some draconian social norm either it’s just basic human decency.

It’s serious behavior that people need to have consequences from, and kids need to be taught how serious that shit is too. Then witnessing the consequences for these actions is one way to learn.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What if the 17 yo went after the older guy first? Said something similar the other way round.

Is there no personal responsibility for the woman? I'm not arguing that he was doing something morally he knew he shouldn't be.

If that was your 17 yo daughter would you not say why tf were you talking like that with a man you knew was 38?
17 year olds are going to do what they want but first off I still have t seen confirmation this minor was 17 but admittedly I am traveling so maybe that broke today.

Secondly the problem I have is him being told they were a minor and he upped the graphic content as apparently he liked that news

StereoVsn

The only I remember about this dude is that a)He is an ass, b)He cheated on his wife and c)He streamed in a public toilet (WTF).

And now throw in sexting with a minor. I don’t normally watch streamers, don’t really support anyone (other using my Prime sub occasionally) , but if I did I would stop doing that years ago.

I have a 12y.o. daughter, if some man was sexting her id probably end up in prison and he'd be on the hot end of a Johannesburg Tire special but if it was a 17y.o. then that's verging more into "dirty fucking creep" territory than "let's get the nonce" territory, I don't get it, who the fuck wants to communicate with teenagers anyway, they're complete head melts, he wasn't someone I'd regularly watch but what I did catch of him was amusing, I'll reserve my pitchfork till I see the texts and actual age of the recipient

Once more: nobody knows the age of the child concerned. She could be younger.

Just being skeptical since no charges were brought against him. I personally would like to see all evidence before forming a final opinion.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
She could also be older. So again people should stop throwing around the term "pedo." Do we even know the gender of the person?

No. The kid is confirmed to be a minor that he sent sexually explicit messages to, and sent even worse stuff knowing they were a minor.

Last edited:

AZRoboto

Neo Member
See this is why I actually would support him. How many guys do you know that dated (not texted but actually dated) a 17 year old when they were 20 or older. I know quite a few and I’m not going to call them pedophiles. This whole thing is way overblown. Should be a black eye not a career killing thing.m

And I don’t support streamers or Doc personally. Just think a moment of inappropriate behavior 7 years ago isn’t career killing.

Also if twitch had a smoking gun they wouldn’t have paid Doc. They wouldn’t have settled out of court. Like let’s be real. This is not pedophilia. Calling it that weakens the word. It’s like people calling the Israel Palestine thing genocide.
I know none and someone with thoughts like yours are also concerning for their brushing aside of pedophilic tendencies.

Dutchy

What the fuck are you even on about? I said pedophilia is no big deal? Please show me where I said this, because it would be the opposite of my position on the matter. If you can't, then stfu and don't quote me.

If anything you're the one defending Roman Polanski saying it was a long time ago, he's been punished so it's okay to forgive him now. Well, personally, I don't forgive these kinds of actions, EVER.

As for me pointing out that the girl he raped was 13 as opposed to older, it's not to say "it's no big deal" if the girl is 17, it was to point out that it was a worse crime, under the law. The punishment is greater for a minor under 14 in most Western countries.

You tooting your own horn and virtue signaling about how you like women your own age and it's depressing that you're the only good guy is a huge red flag for me that you are in fact, probably not a good guy.
You were using Roman Polanski as an incredibly weak example for why we shouldn't think much of this situation and I pointed out why that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The fact you're strawmanning this hard to defend a piece of shit like dr speaks volumes about you as a person. So I simply told you that there were still consequences for mr polanski (contrary to what you seemed to think) for something he did over 45 years ago, when this very subject wasn't nearly as loaded as it is now.

You tooting your own horn and virtue signaling about how you like women your own age and it's depressing that you're the only good guy is a huge red flag for me that you are in fact, probably not a good guy.
I never said I was the only one. But I'm not surprised reading comprehension isn't really your thing when harassing someone underage is A-OK for you. And yeah man, I'm such an arrogant piece of shit for having healthy sexual preferences :messenger_sad_relieved:

See this is why I actually would support him. How many guys do you know that dated (not texted but actually dated) a 17 year old when they were 20 or older.
what about 40 and older? I don't know anyone and I hope you don't either cause that'd be disgusting.

Dutchy

People using the age of consent as a rough guideline instead of the law is fucking insane to me. ''Yeah but it's only one year under the age of consent guys''. I wonder if they'll keep the same energy when the age of consent is lowered, or visit another country where it's already much lower.

At some point you're gonna have to man up and admit that people (especially women) that age are far from being physically and (more importantly) mentally developped and should under no circumstances ever date someone far older than them.

I honestly never knew there were this many twisted people on this forum but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

proandrad

No. The kid is confirmed to be a minor that he sent sexually explicit messages to, and sent even worse stuff knowing they were a minor.
I meant older, but till still in the age range to be a minor but not to call a person a pedo. I'll say it as bluntly as I can.
An adult does the unthinkable to a 8 years old, that is a pedophile. An adult sleeps with a 17 year old, that is called statutory rape. Both these things are not even close to being in the same universe.

UnrealEck

I still don't know details. Most importantly intent.
Did he know she was 17 or whatever when he messaged her? People are still used to social interractions in person where you don't think on age as it registers subconciously when you look at the person.
If I speak to someone in a message I probably won't ask her age unless it starts going down a certain route. Which, apparently it did.

I think what he hasn't said (whether he knew she was 17 and also if when he found out did he stop?) is damning enough. But yeah I'm not 100% certain he's guilty.

Fredrik

That’s a hypothetical ”what if” scenario, and it doesn’t matter. It’s a teenager. Can’t expect 17yo to always be responsible. The brain isn’t even fully developed until 25. Kids do all kind of stupid crap. But as an adult there is no excuse, if it was the other way he could’ve told the kid to go after other kids instead of a middle aged man.

thief183

Even If he's not a pedo by your definition do you think It's appropriate given this age difference???
Appropriate or not I was just saying that we are witch hunting a guy (I've never even seen a video of him) for chatting with a teenager that has not a "developed brain" but that can buy a weapon a drive a car.

Also as far as I understood she never really said anything about this right?

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Dude is a piece of shit, but people really need to stop throwing the term "pedo" nonchalant. Their is a huge difference between someone texting 17 year old and someone who is into actual little kids.
Agreed on the "pedo" thing. He's just fucking gross, but I don't think it's right to just call someone that without knowing full details. There's so much we don't know. No one knows the age of the girl, just that she was a minor. The email where that came from was debunked. But a minor, is still a minor, and it's disgusting.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I meant older, but till still in the age range to be a minor but not to call a person a pedo. I'll say it as bluntly as I can.
An adult does the unthinkable to a 8 years old, that is a pedophile. An adult sleeps with a 17 year old, that is called statutory rape. Both these things are not even close to being in the same universe.

Well, none of us know the age of the child. All we know if that he sent sexually graphic messages to a minor when he knew their age. You can try to grade that on some sort of sliding scale if you like, but in my eyes it's a disgusting thing for a married man in his mid-thirties to do.

DavidGzz

I don't get it.

1. You are in a chat with gamers that like the game you like chatting.

2. Some streamers are funny or charismatic or both

3. You get to watch someone either rock or suck in a game and rage. It's funny or impressive.

4. You get to see a game you aren't sure you want to spend money on yet or watch the reaction of someone playing a game you've already played.

I think the same thing about sports. I couldn't care less about that.

Top Bottom