• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

in Honor of No Way Home: Will Spider-man 2 reach the same levels of fidelity as the Matrix UE5 Demo?

rsz-1e-adzetxoaeu1yg.jpg

FAK7JMzUcAQqGko

20210910_080122.jpg

20210910_080119.jpg

and the expectation:

saintjules

I think we'll get what we saw from Matrix and the UE5 PS5 demo maybe near the end of the generation. At least the startings of it. I can definitely be wrong in that timeframe. And if we do, it will probably be at 30fps.

A.Romero

No but it's OK they are aiming at different things.

Also the Matrix demo does not run at 60 FPS.

Matrix is great for what it does and Spider-man 2 will also probably be great on their own way. The first one was amazing, one of my fav games of last gen.

Not really. Graphics are diminishing returns after this gen. Now they really need to ramp up the AI and Animations.
i think the speed of the the swinging and the scale of the city has to improve also, that alone would make it a huge step up. look at the spider-man swing clip, you can feel the sense of speed and how tiny spider-man looks amongst the buildings.

current spider-man games are good but it still feels a little too sandboxy. they need to make the city feel bigger

reksveks

Personally won't on average, there will be bits that does cause its more directed and the open world won't in general.

They will make the right compromises to make the console work for them though.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Sony's first party studios surely will reach this quality of graphics somewhere between the midway point of the generation.

We are just a year into the new generation of consoles and you can already play this incredible looking demo.

Hugare

Nah

Will be a 60 fps game (or maybe 40, considering R&C graphical options) while Matrix runs at 30

Will be a stunner tho, for sure

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Insomniac is a talented studio and it looks nice but to me it doesn't come close to The Matrix demo.

Off topic - Why make a thread off this uberfanboy's tweet? Should we start making threads based on the stupid shit Timdog tweets too since this guy is at least as rabid of a PlayStation fanboy as Timdog is for Xbox and just as full of exaggerations and hyperbole.

Probably in some ways - I’m sure there will be little technical tricks and optimizations they can use - but in terms of in its entirety likely not?

Dr Bass

I thought ratchet and clank was real time Pixar?
Not current Pixar but it does look like like an animated movie quite often. No reason to be snippy.

To answer the question, no I don’t think it will. We know UE5 is engaging some pretty incredible techniques to do what it does. Insomniac is doing incredible work as well, but I don’t think their engine does what Nanite and Lumen do so … no.

Not a knock just not quite the same. Won’t impact how enjoyable the game is one way or another though.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its a bad idea using a cinematic trailer as an indicator of a games final visuals.

But, to answer OP's question.

I think it depends how much work insomniac do to the spiderman 2 engine.
If its largely unchanged since rift apart, it will look very similer in terms of geometry and RT reflections, however rift apart lacks realtime indirect global illumination, which is a big reason why the UE5 matrix demo looks as good as it does.

However thats from a technology perspective, it will look better because its a full game where the artists can add more detail and character to the environments.

Sosokrates

In terms of Open World games I think HFW might be the first to raise the bar for them.

Not trying to troll or anything but it does look pretty good.
HFW adds more geometric detail, higher textures but compared to current gen only games it wont have the object density, it may have some indirect realtime global illumination not sure on that, its seems devs have to pick and choose there cross gen enhancements for current gen consoles.

Graphics talk is fun when you can specifically identify the visual components which separate,last gen, cross gen and current gen visuals.

Last edited:

Yoboman

It will likely fall short in some areas like zooming in on tiny details - it just won't have those mega scan models. And Insomnisc will need to do something special to get their lighting system to that level in the UE5 demo

But in other areas it will be way better like variety of the environment, animation, faces, frame rate

Those things really took me out of the experience with the Matrix demo and for me its getting to a point where those are the game changers - environments generally look pretty incredible already in most games. Its whats going on with character models that's lagging

Sosokrates

It will likely fall short in some areas like zooming in on tiny details - it just won't have those mega scan models. And Insomnisc will need to do something special to get their lighting system to that level in the UE5 demo

But in other areas it will be way better like variety of the environment, animation, faces, frame rate

Those things really took me out of the experience with the Matrix demo and for me its getting to a point where those are the game changers - environments generally look pretty incredible already in most games. Its whats going on with character models that's lagging

Object and environment details is an area I actually think insomniac are already very good at, id you zoom in on a bug or shootgun shell in rift apart they are very detailed for such a small object.

I dont think there will be much of a geometry difference between a fire hydrant in awakens and sm2.

If we’re talking open world I’d say Stalker 2 then maybe Embarks New game. Embarks game was pretty visually striking clearly next gen stuff.

I haven't seen a lot of Spiderman 2 yet but I believe it will be pretty great looking as well. Insomniac are pretty good with tech IMO.

But to be honest both Microsoft and Sony have very talented devs episode working for them. Im sure each will raise the bar for visuals at some point. It won't be something exclusive to just one publisher.

Last edited:

makaveli60

If crossgen and the insane fps/resolution obsession ends finally, then AAA games generally will have the quality of the incredible Matrix demo. It was actually the proof of that it is possible for games to have this quality this gen. If Spider-Man 2 falls into this category, that’s another question. Insomniac are very capable so I think it’s not a far-fetched thought that it will.

Jimmy_liv

Depends if they devs continue pandering to the 60fps mob.
We will never push on with photorealstic gfx, in this gen at least, if we carry on with this trend

Stooky

Not really. Graphics are diminishing returns after this gen. Now they really need to ramp up the AI and Animations.
really wish people would stop saying this crap. every year the goal line gets moved. we haven't hit the ceiling in rendered cg yet. we still have a long way to go in realtime graphics .There are technics being done in rendered cg that aren't being done in games. Games need it to hit the next level, we might get some of it this gen and no you don't see it in the UE5 demo. the real factors are time and money. for games time, money and cpu/gpu/memory budget. Diminishing returns is bullshit.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Well it will be released during a pandemic and the OG Peter Park is returning instead of Miles.

We know the game is exclusive to PS5 and it will be part of the second wave of games, Insomniac have already pushed the boundaries with MM and Ratchet and Clank, easily the best ray-tracing implementations we have seen on consoles to date. I expect them to start leveraging more of the PS5's "deeper" feature set, this would mean heavily optimising their geometry and texture streaming pipelines around the PS5's ultra high bandwidth SSD. Then there's features such as Primitive Shaders which they can leverage that will be important for pushing polygons and various other graphics workloads as well as performance.

I'm personally hoping we get a 60 FPS RT mode like we have across all of Insomniac's PS5 games, it's a personal favourite of mine on Spider-man Remastered.

Top Bottom