• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

in Honor of No Way Home: Will Spider-man 2 reach the same levels of fidelity as the Matrix UE5 Demo?

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
No because Jim Ryan has another trick up his sleeve. He now doesn’t believe in generations.

Last edited:
Without a doubt… the first game was a technical masterpiece tied to ps4 hardware. I just hope they give us more to do. The first game to me felt a light outside of combat and collectibles.

Aenima

Matrix demo is missing alot of game logic and physics. For example the water is just a flat animated textures, thers no wave motion and the floating objects inside water are static. Even the car lights dont cast any light on the road.

Spiderman 2 will be using alot more stuff that will bring the city to life, we already saw steam and fog effects in the SM2 trailer, thers none of those effects in matrix tech demo.

It was an impressive tech demo for the realistic ilumination, great draw distance and level of detail on objects when zoomed in. But that was it. The city was super static, only things moving was pedestrians and traffic.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I think SM2 will look better than the Matrix demo, but that's partly because I don't think the Matrix demo looks that great.

I'm not one who thinks we're at diminishing returns for graphics in general, but in the one area where UE5 and Matrix is a real advance - polygon count - I do actually think we're well into diminishing returns. Walking around the city in Matrix, it just doesn't LOOK that much more geometrically dense than the city in something like Miles Morales. For an environment like that there are way more important things to focus on than just more geometry.

Aenima

The last Spiderman games didn't even have a day/night cycle. I doubt they will spend performance on raytraced lighting which is critical for realism. Using SSAO paired with baked lighting or light probe GI just doesn't cut it anymore.
Matrix demo also dont has a day/night cicle. Time is static, you can switch the sun position manually but the sun only rotates around the city, it never sets or rises. Then thers just a switch to change to night time.

Mister Wolf

Matrix demo also dont has a day/night cicle. Time is static, you can switch the sun position manually but the sun only rotates around the city, it never sets or rises. Then thers just a switch to change to night time.

Not my point. Regardless Matrix uses raytraced GI. Insomniac didn't even bother with a day/night cycle and if they do for part 2 which i doubt, they won't do raytraced GI for performance reasons. Will be the same cost effective solution we've seen these past two generations thats been around forever and is outdated.

Last edited:
The art style of Spiderman 2 looks drastically different than what the Matrix demo is running. I don’t doubt Insomniac to pul it off though.

Because the tech behind Nanite and Lumen is developed by magical pandabears...... And not just good developers...

I believe it was developed by Hank Pym himself.

Ant-Man-and-the-Wasp.jpg

The matrix demo would be a very boring game, there is so much traffic you'd never be able to get anywhere. Imagine a GTA where you rob a bank and then get stuck in traffic for 2 hours, that's what a game that packed with cars on the street would be lol.

I don't expect Spider-Man to reach that level of "realism" because I don't think that's what they are targeting, they'd probably want something that looks a slightly more stylized and colorful like the first game was.

Also that Matrix demo is a bit limited in some ways, I know Spider-Man doesn't let you do anything in the water but the water in that matrix demo looks very basic and low res when you get up close to it.

Last edited:

Fahdis

really wish people would stop saying this crap. every year the goal line gets moved. we haven't hit the ceiling in rendered cg yet. we still have a long way to go in realtime graphics .There are technics being done in rendered cg that aren't being done in games. Games need it to hit the next level, we might get some of it this gen and no you don't see it in the UE5 demo. the real factors are time and money. for games time, money and cpu/gpu/memory budget. Diminishing returns is bullshit.

No shit. How do you expect to keep immersion with shit animation or AI behavior?

Kappa

Lol no. We are heading there tho, In a few years im sure we will have full playable games on par with the matrix tech demo

Notabueno

Banned
Well no, not yet, and it doesn't really matter.

We've reach quite a high-level of fidelity, and there's a lot of minor (but very complex) kinks to manage like gaussian rounding shader, cinematic blur, lod/far distance color contrast, texture/geometry streaming, optimised vgxi/rtx, and lense simulated GI...

...and we'll be there in term of really reaching CGI level graphics (as in 2000s level of CGI) by the end of the decade.

The challenge now is animation, crowd AI, environment sim, those are what make a video game immersive and realistic and we absolutely suck at that, especially since it's in real-time and interactive. That's why CP2077 and the Matrix Awakens city part of the demo were unimpressive.

Last edited:
Short answer ..No
Longer answer ......They tend to upgrade the same engine they use for all their games and unless its been massively overhauled between Spiderman/Miles M and Ratchet you will more than likely see spider man MM with some extra bells on it

Stooky

No shit. How do you expect to keep immersion with shit animation or AI behavior?
Shit animation that’s a budget and memory thing. There are plenty of games with amazing animation. This gen should be great because most of not all gameplay movement animations will now be uncompressed. We will see a higher fidelity. AI is a cpu bond should be better this gen. Ray tracing will help that also you gotta have the Programming Talent.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Never go full retard.

That Matrix demo can look the way it does because it's not a game. Once you start adding in all the game elements you are going to have to scale back the graphics in order to make it playable. Nothing in the next few years, possibly even this gen, will do what that demo is doing. People thinking this is what we can expect in the near future are in for a rude awakening.

It all comes down if Sony forces their Exclusive Developers to not max out PS5s I/O System because they want to have them also on PC later ...
The Idea is out there .. if i can think about it - they can think about it.
Iam very worried in that regard. But all hope is not lost. Guess the very next PS5 Eclusive will tell if they decided not to use their own Console to its full potential because 80% of the PC Market is playing with peasant hardware..

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Of course not, the hardware in home consoles isn't there yet. Maybe one or two generations along the road.
Of-topic, and since people have brought it up,... man i wish wolverine would be the first game coming, can't wait.

UnNamed

Banned
It's about engine features. If Insomniac has developed an engine with the same feature as UE5, so it's possibile. If their engine is not fully developed... eventually they will reach the same target but not with Spiderman 2.

skit_data

I think it will surpass Matrix Awakens in some aspects but in general; No.

It will probably look ”better” (but less realistic) in most peoples eyes though, less realistic but more interesting art direction and crazy set-pieces.

Last edited:

oldergamer

I dont think you will see anything close to the matrix or unreal 5 demo unless a game uses unreal 5 and has a vfx pipeline to access and process movie grade effects and lighting.

I also dont see many console graphics engines implementing tech like nanite or lumen. Without that you wont see a similar level to the matrix demo.

ARK1391

I always hate this question, it completely ignores the fact that different games have different art styles.

For instance the Matrix demo specifically chased photo realism. Spider Man 2 is not necessarily chasing photo realism, so to expect that level of visuals is kinda silly to me and sets people up for disappointment, which leads to people saying the game looks "bad" because it's not as 'realistic looking' as this game over here. Same with a game like Psychonaughts 2 or Kena, they still look great but not chasing that style, and there's nothing wrong with that...

VFXVeteran

Banned
No. The consoles are pretty underpowered (i.e.raytracing+high orders of geometric detail) which makes them only able to render at low samples and very limited bandwidth (i.e. low res/low fps).

We should wait for the next iteration of consoles to expect a better boost in bandwidth and RT functionality (i.e. DLSS-type algorithms)

xPikYx

No. The consoles are pretty underpowered (i.e.raytracing+high orders of geometric detail) which makes them only able to render at low samples and very limited bandwidth (i.e. low res/low fps).

We should wait for the next iteration of consoles to expect a better boost in bandwidth and RT functionality (i.e. DLSS-type algorithms)
2032 then

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I hope more engines/developer find ways to do virtualized polygons.
I could see Spiderman 2 trumping The Matrix demo.
However, I dont think The Matrix demo is even the limits of Unreal Engine 5 not even close.

The next "Crysis" moment is gonna be given to us with Unreal Engine 5:
Apix_Trunk-768x432.jpg

ForestRoad_Sequence_Seasons_Green-768x432.jpg

Fahdis

Shit animation that’s a budget and memory thing. There are plenty of games with amazing animation. This gen should be great because most of not all gameplay movement animations will now be uncompressed. We will see a higher fidelity. AI is a cpu bond should be better this gen. Ray tracing will help that also you gotta have the Programming Talent.

What games have you seen with both? Go on, Ill wait.

Kuranghi

Miles Morales was 100% NOT made with the 60fps mode in mind imo. Those animatons were made to look amazing at 30fps, I'm not saying they look worse at 60 obviously but there wasn't as great a benefit in that game because the motion blur is so good.

I did fidelity as my first run and then I was excited to play at 60fps for NG+, but I just stopped after 30 mins or so, the input lag wasn't massively reduced and I didnt feel you saw more in the animations at that fps (like with say Doom 2016/Eternal at 60 vs 120) 🤷‍♂️

Not true thats what UE5 does...Matrix awakens demo literally looks like CGI.

Top Bottom