• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

in Honor of No Way Home: Will Spider-man 2 reach the same levels of fidelity as the Matrix UE5 Demo?

Not my point. Regardless Matrix uses raytraced GI. Insomniac didn't even bother with a day/night cycle and if they do for part 2 which i doubt, they won't do raytraced GI for performance reasons. Will be the same cost effective solution we've seen these past two generations thats been around forever and is outdated.
Insomniac made Spider-Man for the PS4 it wasn't built for the PS5 from the beginning, I'm not saying they will or won't use any one particular lighting technique, but the comparison seems silly let alone the fact that one is a game, and the other is a tech demo that runs at a lower native resolution, has very little interactivity, no real AI, no big effects etc.

vpance

How likely is it another big studio has figured out their own Nanite tech ready to go in the next year or 2? IIRC Nanite was a result of years of R&D, and that's from Epic who specialize in game engines.

But maybe now that Epic's gone over a lot of the fundamental ideas, others out there can get their own version up and running relatively quickly.

Pagusas

Elden Member
UE4 wasn’t the end all be all and UE5 isn’t going to be either. Technology doesn’t advance in a small bubble

48f62d1138e3b095acbfe9cebb4e471d682d8080.gifv

Haggard

Banned
You don't need to state the that...also devs cant just add new features quickly it takes time...THATS WHY PEOPLE SAID THAT. If insomniac doesn't add a similar nanite like feature then no.

Danny Devito Lol GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie
UE5 is still months from release, Nanite still has massive issues with a lot of element types, Lumen is basically still "just" RT with all the performance issues that brings. And of course everyone who hasn't explicitly shown off tech demos have just been twiddling their thumbs and intent to not upgrade their engines ever again....

Sometimes I think it should hurt to be an idiot of your magnitude.....
Your nickname fits like a glove.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Its a cinematic trailer. Of course fucking not.

And Matrix had to have a LOT of concessions to look as good as it does and it was in detriment to any real gameplay. It was essentially one massive Quick Time Event with very limited "gameplay".

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No it cannot, and the reason is simple: nanite. Nanite allows almost infinite geometrical details and as such, the level of fidelity is unprecedented and also close to CGI/real life. Unless Insomniac has a similar technology, the will not match that demo

Yes, all 3D engines going forward would not/could not develop anything similar to Nanite. s/

Engines going forward will take advantage of the next gen hardware and use i to their own advantage.

UE5 is still months from release, Nanite still has massive issues with a lot of element types, Lumen is basically still "just" RT with all the performance issues that brings. And of course everyone who hasn't explicitly shown off tech demos have just been twiddling their thumbs and intent to not upgrade their engines ever again....

Sometimes I think it should hurt to be an idiot of your magnitude.....
Your nickname fits like a glove.
Duh...thats exactly what everyones been saying and you are responding with stupid comments. You assume Insomniac will have similar tech when Spiderman 2 releases? Insomniac won't reach UE5 demo quality if they don't have a Nanite like solution, period. Infinite geometry is what makes The Matrix Awakens look CGI...hard to grasp..?

vpance

The thing is not many devs probably even considered to go in this direction because of the known limitations that Nanite has with skinned meshes, a problem which Epic is still trying to solve. It's a big bet to completely redesign your future games in this direction especially when the far safer option of iterating off of existing PS4/XB1 engines is right in front of you. With that in mind I think UE5 is in a really unique position at this time. Just have to see if devs will take a bite on it now.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
How likely is it another big studio has figured out their own Nanite tech ready to go in the next year or 2? IIRC Nanite was a result of years of R&D, and that's from Epic who specialize in game engines.

But maybe now that Epic's gone over a lot of the fundamental ideas, others out there can get their own version up and running relatively quickly.

For faster development sony devs may just use tweaked older methods that rely on the PS5s ssd and io setup.

I mean a rift aparts geometry is not that different to UE5s.

hlm666

The thing is not many devs probably even considered to go in this direction because of the known limitations that Nanite has with skinned meshes, a problem which Epic is still trying to solve. It's a big bet to completely redesign your future games in this direction especially when the far safer option of iterating off of existing PS4/XB1 engines is right in front of you. With that in mind I think UE5 is in a really unique position at this time. Just have to see if devs will take a bite on it now.
This is actually an interesting view, if your assumption is correct it's kinda like Nvidia and DLSS. If Epic gains a 4+ year advantage here I wonder how easy it would be for others to catch up, keeping in mind they will have to actually be making a game over that time aswell where the UE5 devs don't.

Not true thats what UE5 does...Matrix awakens demo literally looks like CGI.
I came in to say this. The Matrix demo just proved everything he said wrong. Obviously, a more powerful PC could run that demo at higher framerates and resolution bit he started out by saying consoles can't do ray tracing well enough or geometric detail and those are the primary two things the demo did so well.

This is actually an interesting view, if your assumption is correct it's kinda like Nvidia and DLSS. If Epic gains a 4+ year advantage here I wonder how easy it would be for others to catch up, keeping in mind they will have to actually be making a game over that time aswell where the UE5 devs don't.
You may be right to a degree but what does that say about the industry right now? If they're unwilling to start drastically improving and rewriting their engines then shame on them. They don't have the same ambition as the ps4/xb1 generation and are causing games to stagnate in the process. I hope Unreal 5 lights a fire under their asses.

vpance

Pretty much, like I was thinking in a previous post. Not saying there aren't any other forward thinking engine devs out there but UE5 already looks very capable of hitting all those next gen bulletpoints and ready to go within the next 1-2 years. This is while most game studios first 1 or 2 next gen games still usually have cross gen roots in them.

I'm sure there will be competing engine tech out there eventually though. Guys at EA with Frostbite and Ubisoft are no doubt interested in reaching a similar fidelity for their big franchise titles.

MonarchJT

Banned
true but as VFX say in fact they run at 1080p...and drop down till 21 fps ...a game would be unthinkable with that quality, they will find a way to make the games look more "beautiful" and closer to what this tech demo does, but technically I don't think that the two flagship consoles have the grunt to run ue5 in all its glory. I expect great things from the coalition surely they are the best and most experienced with this engine.

Haggard

Banned
Duh...thats exactly what everyones been saying and you are responding with stupid comments. You assume Insomniac will have similar tech when Spiderman 2 releases? Insomniac won't reach UE5 demo quality if they don't have a Nanite like solution, period. Infinite geometry is what makes The Matrix Awakens look CGI...hard to grasp..?
2 measly sentences are already too difficult for you, my oh my..

To make it as simple and clear as possible:
It´s just software.
A great achievement, but still with a lot of issues outside of a very specific use case and especially in software many ways lead to rome. Just outright dismissing everyone else in the industry or claiming everyone else has to copy paste the exact approach is ridiculously stupid, because, and here we get back to my original comment, "Epic is not the only one with good developers".

Probably still "hard to grasp" for a simple fella whose brain seems to stop working the moment some hype comes into play.

Last edited:

hlm666

Pretty much, like I was thinking in a previous post. Not saying there aren't any other forward thinking engine devs out there but UE5 already looks very capable of hitting all those next gen bulletpoints and ready to go within the next 1-2 years. This is while most game studios first 1 or 2 next gen games still usually have cross gen roots in them.

I'm sure there will be competing engine tech out there eventually though. Guys at EA with Frostbite and Ubisoft are no doubt interested in reaching a similar fidelity for their big franchise titles.
I think frostbite will get shelved, it's obvious since Mr Andersson (im using that pun yep) and friends left Dice are struggling with that engine.

oldergamer

it already looks better :

Because some guy on twitter says its better? Dunno if that post is worth responding to.

Realize the limitations in spiderman and time limitations for epic. Those interiors in spiderman are not emmisive lights at night time. Id rather have more detail on the exteriors but they probably could have nanite based interiors if they wanted. The cars being nanite based could have as much detail as they want. They obviously didnt go to extreme lengths.

Not only that you are comparing a finished game versus something that took less then a year.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No but it's OK they are aiming at different things.

Also the Matrix demo does not run at 60 FPS.

Matrix is great for what it does and Spider-man 2 will also probably be great on their own way. The first one was amazing, one of my fav games of last gen.

Spiderman of the PS4 and PS5 both run at 30fps. They also have a 60fps mode, but that's different.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I seriously doubt the game will look like this. A typical downgrade will happen. Ala ubisoft or Naughtydog.
Theres no way the fog, lighting, detail, leaves and effects stay at 60fps or even 30fps

What do you expect the best games to look like on the PS5 then?

aclar00

While impressive and undoubtedly overall great engine, it is silly to think other dev teams wont have methods and workarounds that produce same, similar or better results

Also, while the engine in itself is great, youd undoubtedly need capable devs to use it to its fullest extend, regardless of the level of automation.

Dont get me wrong, im not trying to downplay how revolutionary nanite could be, but a team with great experience and knowledge (or even time & money) can do greater things IMO than a team with lesser experience and knowledge but greater tools.

With that said, along with engines being constantly updated, i feel we wont see UE5 standout nearly as much as many seem to suggest.

aclar00

But what if there's a PS5 pro in a few years that caters to those aspects?

Can future consoles just use some kind of hardware acceleration to do this? Im not sures what DLSS or VRR are but would it not be simple (maybe expensive though) to have a separate chip to increase frames in the same way there are separate audio chips?

Yoboman

No. The consoles are pretty underpowered (i.e.raytracing+high orders of geometric detail) which makes them only able to render at low samples and very limited bandwidth (i.e. low res/low fps).

We should wait for the next iteration of consoles to expect a better boost in bandwidth and RT functionality (i.e. DLSS-type algorithms)
Yeah there's no way these consoles can run UE5 in the same way they are already running UE5

dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

VFXVeteran

Banned
You must not see very much CGI. Check out Love, Death, Robots and then come back and say you think it looks like CGI. It's not doing anywhere near the RT evaluations or geometric complexity as offline rendering. Still several generations to go with power increases before we are seeing equivalent complexity with path tracing and geometry.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yeah there's no way these consoles can run UE5 in the same way they are already running UE5

dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
They are running UE5 at low rendering settings and UE5 still doesn't have code for complex path-traced rendering like CGI has. There are a lot of things that will choke even the highest end GPU right now. Not sure why I'm getting resistance concerning this. We have had more than enough games where shortcuts are always being taken to get a rendered scene at a reasonable FPS. 1080p @ 24fps should be proof enough that they don't have good enough bandwidth.

I was more impressed with Ratchet than I was The Matrix demo. The former just had so much of a stylized look, though certainly things like Nanite are more advanced

UE5 looks great, but wandering the city I didnt see such a massive difference from other open world city games. Yes, LOD is massively improved, and the seamless nature of it was extremely exciting, but the actual detail didn’t seem too much more dense to my eye

im more impressed with UE5’s development efficiencies that it provides dev studios, but I suspect the absolute best looking games will use custom engines as they always have

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I was more impressed with Ratchet than I was The Matrix demo. The former just had so much of a stylized look, though certainly things like Nanite are more advanced

UE5 looks great, but wandering the city I didnt see such a massive difference from other open world city games. Yes, LOD is massively improved, and the seamless nature of it was extremely exciting, but the actual detail didn’t seem too much more dense to my eye

im more impressed with UE5’s development efficiencies that it provides dev studios, but I suspect the absolute best looking games will use custom engines as they always have
it depend on the studio. Matrix demo is free therefore it is clearly "cold" from an artistic point of view . without something like nanite no chance custom engines can rival what ue5 is doing

Darius87

They are running UE5 at low rendering settings and UE5 still doesn't have code for complex path-traced rendering like CGI has. There are a lot of things that will choke even the highest end GPU right now. Not sure why I'm getting resistance concerning this. We have had more than enough games where shortcuts are always being taken to get a rendered scene at a reasonable FPS. 1080p @ 24fps should be proof enough that they don't have good enough bandwidth.
CGI doesn't run in realtime why you compare offline rendering to realtime rendering in first place? this is game forum.
24FPS is because cinematic look not of lack of BW :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Yoboman

it depend on the studio. Matrix demo is free therefore it is clearly "cold" from an artistic point of view . without something like nanite no chance custom engines can rival what ue5 is doing
I think a lot of devs will use something similar, nothing really stopping them from creating a similar solution

Top Bottom