• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

Aion002

GEJvso4bQAA8L2I
Steve Greene Wtf GIF

Killer8

The biggest issue with first person is that it minimizes the most recognizable thing about Indiana Jones - his silhouette. You always know that it's him in the movies as soon as you see this:

iWsleje.jpg

If you were to take a glance at this game during the moment-to-moment gameplay, there is very little that signals to you that this game is Indiana Jones and not just any other first-person shooter. You are only reminded of the fact during the occasional third-person cut away. It's a huge blunder by the developers and no amount of "it's in first-person to really make you feel like Indy!" is going to fix it.

digdug2

I can understand the disappointment, but this is exactly what I was hoping for. It reminds me so much of the point and click games of the 90s with all of the puzzle solving, but also gives me vibes of the 3D games. And Machine Games nailed Wolfenstein: The New Order- so they know the time period very well. Looking forward to checking it out when it releases.

Graphically it's not very impressive, most of the models look quite bad and the animations are terrible. Some things are nice like the fire effect on the torch and some of the lighting looks alright but this looks like a game meant for last gen then ported up. How big is that studio?

Copying my post from the other thread.

Indiana Jones Ratings:
-Graphics: A
-Frame Rate: C
-Gameplay: Very very mid
-Animation: D. All the games showed so far have horrible animation. Hellblade doesn’t count because I don’t know that it’s a “game”. All I saw was developers talking out of their ass.
-POV: F. Indiana Jones in first person is wack

EDIT: No doubt Indy will get compared to uncharted and other than graphics, this looks worse than uncharted 4 in every way from fluidity, to gameplay, to animation. We’ll see how it turns out for the story but I don’t have any faith in machine games.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Voice acting and face looked off at times. Also not confident in their writing after wolf 2. They will manage to make it modern cringe. Oh well. It is what it is.

Looks fun. First person is not a dealbreaker, but I hate that it switches between 1st person and 3rd person when climbing ladders etc. Just use one perspective and stick with it. Switching views just breaks the immersion. Dumb decision imo.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Very much Thief meets The Darkness with bits of Riddick scattered in. I think that would work for Indiana Jones and in first-perso.

Those who yuck at that idea or even call it a Skyrim mod - please be excited.

Killjoy-NL

You seem salty for some reason. Maybe I missed something but there’s about 10 sec of footage and you act like you’ve seen it all.
What's salty about a first impression of a reveal?
Was just curious about the Direct and this is what they showed.

Just saying it looks mediocre. There's more games that look mediocre out there.
This is just another one on the list.

Last edited:

cireza

The biggest issue with first person is that it minimizes the most recognizable thing about Indiana Jones - his silhouette. You always know that it's him in the movies as soon as you see this:
Did you even watch the video ? They took the time to specifically address this point with explanations and examples of moments where they put the camera back for you to see the character, as well as cut-scenes.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Something's really off with his face/eyes in some parts and facial animations in general not great at all, very last gen.

The whip has no impact in combat and seems way overused too, it should be closer to Prime grapple beam instead.

I can just imagine how he'll constantly talk and solve the rudimentary riddles for you as you grab this and that object.

I guess with that plane and on rails stuff they're going for set pieces and spectacles, not something like Tomb Raider.

Could be fun but why didn't they give it to Arkane, an immsim Indiana Jones could rock much more than an FPS one.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

having watched the trailer a couple of times now, im sure this will be dumb fun, similar to how i felt about TNC... the writing seems a little bit better than that but we will only know when we play it.

if you just pretend in your head it's an Indy FPS spinoff type game from the 80s-90s where no one really gave a fuck about replicating or being truthful to the source material then this will be a good time.

I do deep down in my heart think that Machine Games was not the right call for Indy. I'm gonna get flak here I know but it does kind of look like a reskinned Wolfenstein game. When he grapples the Nazi i almost thought it transitioned to a Wolfenstein game and there was gonna be some crazy cross over.

Personally i would prefer a Studio with more exploration and puzzle design chops taking the lead on this one. Call me crazy but i think Rare (if they could of recaptured some of their past) would have been a great fit

Last edited:

kyussman

My favorite part was when the guy started taking about the franchise and they only showed the first three movies........because as we all know,there are in fact only three Indiana Jones movies,lol.Anyway,when it was first announced Machine Games were doing this I thought,that's a big departure from Wolfenstein......but it seems it wasn't as they have just put an Indiana Jones skin on their Wolfenstein games and called it a day.And I actually expected some effort......who am I kidding,this is a modern video game after all.Should have been third person,but of course then they would have had to actually make a new game.This fucking industy...seriously.

Last edited:

Elios83

First person is a mistake given the nature of the character and the chance they had to cover a genre that has been lacking on Xbox but it's clear the developer was not comfortable to leave behind first person gameplay given their past experience.
Cutscenes look great, gameplay nothing special, a mix of a fps with some first person puzzle interaction like in many VR games.

“Not terrible, Not Great”

- Doesnt look inspired. Like a Ubisoft Indiana jones game

- Gameplay looks basic and mid.

- Animations and models looked off.

- Indiana Jones has a Karen for a side kick that will undoubtedly make the experience worse

+ Puzzle focus, hopefully they are good

+ Varied locations

We’ll see how it turns out.

Kssio_Aug

People moaning about the graphics clearly havent watched the 4k vid in the OP and are judging the game off a low bitrate stream, the graphics look awesome.

Man this game must feel like a dream for hardcore Indy fans. I think i know now how Potterheads felt with Hogwarts.

cant wait!.
People are just salty af! They already knew they "wouldn't be impressed" way before it was shown.

Top Bottom