• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

As long as it actually has imm sim features and I can genuinely play stealthy then sure, might be good. However I expect this to be a walking sim pos with a few baby level puzzles.

samoilaaa

will that reporter tell Indiana Jones that she couldnt become an explorer because men kept her from achieving her dreams?

bender

What time is it?
I hope the game is fairly light on combat. Using a whip and melee in first person gets old to me really quickly. Apologies to Breakdown and Condemned.

Doom85

Sees a few seconds of what appears to be third person gameplay:

ZAKzSJD.gif

And switches to first person:

cgKh1E4.jpg

Seriously, how do you fuck this up? I like some first person games, this should not be one of them.

Imagine if Insomniac was making their Wolverine game first person. It would be the same bullshit.

We want to see the iconic character we’re controlling.

Edder1

I'm convinced Naughty Dog is the ONLY dev that would have done this game justice.

The animations, art style, graphics, lighting, character models, etc. in Uncharted 4 still look leagues above any game out this gen.
Last thing we need is a game made by Naughty Dog where we have flashbacks of young Indiana having romantic fling with a young Algerian male archeologist. Archeologist then gets murdered by the Nazis and Indiana says "screw the relics" and goes on a revenge quest.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Why?

Play the Robocop game, you won't think that way afterward.
There are a ton of scenes in the Robocop movies filmed from a first person perspective. It made logical sense to make Robocop as an FPS as he's not super agile and basically a walking tank. It doesn't make any sense for Indy IMO.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Is Troy Baker really voicing Indy? Not bad at all if so, but a bit monotone. The Denholm Elliot impersonator sounded good too.

After watching the trailer Im in. It looks a bit rough in spots though and Im willing to bet it wont release this year.

Majormaxxx

Last thing we need is a game made by Naughty Dog where we have flashbacks of young Indiana having romantic fling with a young Algerian male archeologist. The young archeologist gets murdered by the Nazis and Indiana says "screw the relics" and goes on a revenge quest.
Machine games are likely to have similar narrative goals judging from wolfenstein 2.

near

Gold Member

Luipadre

Game looks fun, definitely gonna play it. Just hope they will fix his facial animations, because everyone had decent one except Indy lol

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Makes me shake my head watching that trailer when it shows him whip swinging in third person just to switch to first person when he lands. It baffles me that they would make such a stupid and jarring decision. Then they try to dress it up with the "make you feel like Indiana" bullshit. No, it's your lack of confidence in your ability to make a third person game.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I just don’t get the first person gameplay. The rest I was on board with.

It looks jarring and out of place. Seeing the way everything looks going from the cutscenes to the gameplay…the quality change is just jarring.

The world may look kinda nice, but the rest of the gameplay shown was average at best.

Edder1

Machine games are likely to have similar narrative goals judging from wolfenstein 2.
That studio is very woke and yes they screwed up second Wolfenstein game with their politics, but this game's plot was written By Todd Howard, so they probably won't have much influence over the game's direction. It's basically a game Todd wanted to make for 20+ years. However I would have preferred 3rd person and visually the game just isn't impressive. Animations also look somewhat stiff.

Last edited:

Comandr

You know, watching the trailer again... There were a couple scenes where Indy really looks like young Harrison Ford. Nailed it. Then there's the scene where he's talking to Marcus and the very last scene with the unexplainable Morticia Addams lighting where its... Great Value brand Kentucky Jones. I don't know if it's the expressions or what. But he looks totally different in those scenes.

Audiophile

First person just doesn't tickle my pickle for this. I don't buy that it inherently makes games more immersive, the world, the interaction; and the subsequent state of flow and suspension of disbelief is what determines immersion if you're gaming on a traditional display.

If anything, I find the oft-more stilted interaction of first-person can lead to things feeling more uncanny, in that first-person should be more natural, but almost always isn't. I also think being able to see the iconic character during play is important. I felt the same way about Avatar.

Makes me shake my head watching that trailer when it shows him whip swinging in third person just to switch to first person when he lands. It baffles me that they would make such a stupid and jarring decision. Then they try to dress it up with the "make you feel like Indiana" bullshit. No, it's your lack of confidence in your ability to make a third person game.

The third person traversal looked absolutely awful too

Top Bottom