• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Indy, not indie

And why do you think there is so much talk about the Indiana Jones game? The talk is overshadowing even Hellblade 2 and Avowed. I’ve seen even diehard PS fans saying they need to buy a Xbox now.

The thing is, there is a big chunk of older gamers, many likely feeling nostalgic over seeing Indiana Jones, same generation who grew up with Star Wars. And Indy is the original treasure hunter that creators iterated on and created Tomb Raider, Uncharted, even Rick Dangerous and Spelunky. It may not be a big thing for you and probably not for the Fortnite crowd but for many others it is a big deal. And also, it was awhile since we had a new Uncharted and Tomb Raider. And we don’t know what they’re doing there yet, old man Nathan might be swapped out to Chloe or Cassie and who knows what they’ll do to poor ol Lara.

Talk means nothing these days lol. Look at all the previous Xbox games from the last couple of years.

Send Tom Hanks GIF

IMD5dpK.jpg
Don't fucking tempt me apple

Fredrik

Talk means nothing these days lol. Look at all the previous Xbox games from the last couple of years.
It’s on Steam, Microsoft Store, Xbox, streaming, Gamepass. If it plays great it’ll be a big release. Look at Palworld, came from nowhere and sold a million in 8 hours, concurrent players is at 600.000 now on Steam alone and the graph just keeps on going up up up.

PaintTinJr

Indy, not indie

And why do you think there is so much talk about the Indiana Jones game? The talk is overshadowing even Hellblade 2 and Avowed. I’ve seen even diehard PS fans saying they need to buy a Xbox now.

The thing is, there is a big chunk of older gamers, many likely feeling nostalgic over seeing Indiana Jones, same generation who grew up with Star Wars. And Indy is the original treasure hunter that creators iterated on and created Tomb Raider, Uncharted, even Rick Dangerous and Spelunky. It may not be a big thing for you and probably not for the Fortnite crowd but for many others it is a big deal. And also, it was awhile since we had a new Uncharted and Tomb Raider. And we don’t know what they’re doing there yet, old man Nathan might be swapped out to Chloe or Cassie and who knows what they’ll do to poor ol Lara.
I'm definitely in that boat, except for being open to buying an xbox for a gamepass game that doesn't look like it will play well on a pad, with all the idTech3 American McGee's Alice whip swinging, and will probably get it eventually on Steam in a sale.

I dread to think what workstation they've ran the game on to produce the trailer. it still somehow looks janky in the gameplay animation IIMO compared to the last Carmack idTech (idTech5) from the original Rage 1.

I'm still interested in playing it, but suspect had it been released on PlayStation too, at full price, I would have passed on it entirely for the Bethesda rough edges, so on balance fitting the demographic you pointed out and accepting below pristine AA on PC when coupled with a good AAA IP the Indy reveal probably convinced me.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

It's too early to tell if I'll like it. In general I don't go for this gameplay style and first person is not better for me. I guess it's something that makes it slightly different than Tomb Raider/ Uncharted, which were largely inspired by the IJ franchise?

Hopefully the final game will look more interesting to me.

Fredrik

I'm definitely in that boat, except for being open to buying an xbox for a gamepass game that doesn't look like it will play well on a pad, with all the idTech3 American McGee's Alice whip swinging, and will probably get it eventually on Steam in a sale.

I dread to think what workstation they've ran the game on to produce the trailer. it still somehow looks janky in the gameplay animation IIMO compared to the last Carmack idTech (idTech5) from the original Rage 1.

I'm still interested in playing it, but suspect had it been released on PlayStation too, at full price, I would have passed on it entirely for the Bethesda rough edges, so on balance fitting the demographic you pointed out and accepting below pristine AA on PC when coupled with a good AAA IP the Indy reveal probably convinced me.
I was blown away by the trailer, was grinning the whole time. So much nostalgia! Saw the first movie just now too. Couldn’t be more excited about the game tbh 🤗

But I’m in on Steam, instantly wishlisted, will go in early if they do another Premium early release like with Starfield. Hoping for some mod bonus again but if there is none of that I’ll get higher fps and mouse controls at least 👍

Ozriel

M$FT
But will a couple of million be enough?

We saw that Insomniac needed to sell, what, 7 million copies just to break even Spider-Man 2?

If Indy sells only 2-3 million copies, it will be an enormous financial disaster.

Royalties on Indiana Jones will be MUCH less than on a franchise like Spiderman. It doesn’t also hurt that it was actually Zenimax that pushed for an Indiana Jones game.

They’re also not going to be spending a crazy amount of money on making the game as Spiderman 2 especially when wages are lower in Sweden.

But your concern is noted

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It’s on Steam, Microsoft Store, Xbox, streaming, Gamepass. If it plays great it’ll be a big release. Look at Palworld, came from nowhere and sold a million in 8 hours, concurrent players is at 600.000 now on Steam alone and the graph just keeps on going up up up.

Palworld is a game that looks like Pokemon. A much bigger brand then Indiana Jones, so this can’t be compared. The majority of the casuals just see another first person (generic looking) game which also does’t really look that great at all. It will be a good game if it plays good, but don’t expect anything compared to Palworld, Hogwarts or anything Uncharted etc etc.

Nostalgia won’t help with the gamers of today. The casuals didn’t care about the movie. It’s not Star Wars which has more variation. I can ask my 5 year old son what Star Wars is, but he won’t know who Indiana Jones is. That will say a lot about these brands today.

Im happy that Machinegame is making it, which might translate in a new Wolfenstein in the future.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I would have passed on it entirely for the Bethesda rough edges

Bethesda isn’t making the game though

Hard to find an analogue to this one, though. It’s a license IP from a known franchise, in first person. What are you going to compare its potential to? Minecraft Dungeons? Starfield? Redfall? Forza Horizon 5?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Bethesda isn’t making the game though

Hard to find an analogue to this one, though. It’s a license IP from a known franchise, in first person. What are you going to compare its potential to? Minecraft Dungeons? Starfield? Redfall? Forza Horizon 5?

That talk doesn’t automatically translate in a good game or high numbers in sales.

DaGwaphics

Xbox/Bethesda usually dont spend $350 mln on games.

You can go long way with good use of $50 mln.

You won’t get fast travel of Spider man 2 or perfect lip syncing of NPC characters giving you side quests.

Good compromise IMO.

People don't realize that Insomniac's numbers are their own and no one else's. It's quite easy to be very successful and inefficient with money, those two things are not mutually exclusive.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I can ask my 5 year old son what Star Wars is, but he won’t know who Indiana Jones is.

Well that's just bad parenting then :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Raiders is a nice family friendly PG rated adventure, you should remedy that ;)

I was blown away by the trailer, was grinning the whole time. So much nostalgia! Saw the first movie just now too. Couldn’t be more excited about the game tbh 🤗

But I’m in on Steam, instantly wishlisted, will go in early if they do another Premium early release like with Starfield. Hoping for some mod bonus again but if there is none of that I’ll get higher fps and mouse controls at least 👍

Day 1, day -5 whichever comes first.

indiana-jones-oh-yeah-nodding-89gsq32d031wgwe7.gif

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I can ask my 5 year old son what Star Wars is, but he won’t know who Indiana Jones is. That will say a lot about these brands today.

And yet the leaked PlayStation demographics chart put only 5% of the surveyed playerbase as being under 20 years of age. No reason not to expect similar for Xbox or Steam.

A significant part of the gaming population definitely know who Indiana Jones is.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And yet the leaked PlayStation demographics chart put only 5% of the surveyed playerbase as being under 20 years of age. No reason not to expect similar for Xbox or Steam.

A significant part of the gaming population definitely know who Indiana Jones is.

That gaming population who knows it is small atm. The gamers from now don’t know much or don’t know IJ at all.

I personally don’t think it will have a huge impact like other well know IP’s. There is a difference between being relevant today or well know by everyone or pure by Nostalgia. The problem with indy is that it was gone for so many years.

I think the game can be fun, but im not sure the brand itself has a lot of impact by todays gaming community.

Last edited:

Danknugz

it looks like turok n64 with current gen graphics but no change in uncanny valley cardboard faces or any kind of gameplay changes from the same game template 30 years ago (kill enemies, solve puzzles, etc)

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So we've gone from bitching about first person to pretending that people don't know who Indiana Jones is?

Read my previous post. It’s not that people don’t know him or heard about him. But the IP hasn’t been relevant over more then what….-ages and ages. It’s well know by nostalgia not like a starwars which is still relevant today and new young kids even grow up with.

Kids today might know the name but i don’t think it will have much impact compared to other larger IP’s. The movie itself wasn’t impactful and easily forgotten.

Again, that doesn’t mean the gameplay can be fun. It’s machinegames so gameplay over graphics, but no gore or anything like Wolfenstein.

Last edited:

Dutchy

Never liked the smug goody two shoes characters. Indy is just about as bad as spiderman to me (the guy who got bit by a radioactive spider and now fights crime in a spider costume lol). But the more I watch this trailer the more I think I'll like the gameplay at least. Still would've preferred a proper sequel to Wolfenstein. TNC was such a vibe. Incredible cast of diverse characters that honestly could've been put together by Tarantino. I hope they won't play this one too safe.

I genuinely think it looks good! It's probably the only thing I'm slightly jealous of PlayStation not getting

I think Indy looks pretty good. In some shots he looks almost spot on for Ford, uncanny valley aside, in some he looks off. I think the face could do with a little stubble, sweat and dirt, to make him look rugged, walked through the desert/jungle for 4 days to get here look- he just looks a little too clean cut, he looks younger in some shots than he appears in Raiders, maybe a bit thinner in the face??...Still have a little time to rub some sand in his face !

Also the voice is pretty close, needs to be a tiny bit lower and a little more gravely? Again, a bit too clean, like Indy hasn't had a drink and eaten bugs in a while, but I'd say it's close enough

Love the sound design, the set pieces look fun and over the top, very Indy, nice to see Marcus in there!

Phase

The more I think about it the more I think first person was a mistake. In order to pull off satisfying platforming it would have to resemble Mirror's Edge or something close to it. I don't think they would try that, but if they did that would sell me on it.

We're probably looking at a more narratively driven set-piece experience.

Last edited:

Calverz

Y'all are some picky ass mofos lol.

Even in compressed YT format, it looks good. The hair, clothing material etc all look really well detailed, with sweat/condensation.

7ArFRFE.png

The incidental detail on even his hand is immaculate with fingerprints and creases between the knuckles also visible.

xfANfTi.png
Agreed. I thought it looked great in the cutscenes. ID tech!

Mister Wolf

Maybe it's just me overthinking but I guess they'd have to work really hard on the animations and the whip's physics

I don't have many examples but in Darksiders 3 it just looks like a 'normal' weapon
youtube-video-gif.gif

I see your point. I think that's not a perspective issue, just that no game has ever put much effort into making a physics based simulation of a whip.

Toons

Wolfenstein 2 had a GIRLBOSS cutscene with a topless pregnant woman shooting Nazis with an LMG. These guys don't know the meaning of the word 'subtlety'.
Wait.... I haven't played wolfenstein but you're describing a scene of a topless woman shooting nazis... as if it's a BAD thing?

source.gif

* Will be playing on my Series X :) Even though I am disappointed with the first person perspective, this is the most excited I have been for an Xbox exclusive in a long time and I doubt it'll disappoint like Starfield. May not be the indiana jones I want, but it's an indiana jones nonetheless and I love the genre.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Indian Jones is made for third person over the shoulder

Then why has there never been a third person over the shoulder Indiana Jones game?

Before Tomb Raider came out, all Indy games were either 2D side scrollers or point and click adventure games.

After Tomb Raider there were three Tomb Raider clones, but they weren't third person over the shoulder games. The first was a literal Tomb Raider re-skin, grid based movement and everything. The second was a sequel to that, and the third was basically a really terrible Tomb Raider clone with even worse Arkham combat.

amigastar

Then why has there never been a third person over the shoulder Indiana Jones game?

Before Tomb Raider came out, all Indy games were either 2D side scrollers or point and click adventure games.

After Tomb Raider there were three Tomb Raider clones, but they weren't third person over the shoulder games. The first was a literal Tomb Raider re-skin, grid based movement and everything. The second was a sequel to that, and the third was basically a really terrible Tomb Raider clone with even worse Arkham combat.
What about this one?

ManaByte

Gold Member
What about this one?

That's not an "over the shoulder" game like you're describing. It's a bad Tomb Raider clone with a terrible camera. That's the second one.

Infernal Machine - Grid based Tomb Raider clone built on the Sith FPS engine from Jedi Knight. Released on PC with a N64 port by Factor 5. PSX port cancelled due to Tomb Raider being so popular at the time and exclusive to PSX so Lucasarts didn't want to compete.
Emperor's Tomb - The Collective's shit sequel to Infernal Machine that was so bad Lucasarts' producers threw up their arms and gave up during development. Released on PC, PS2, and Xbox.
Staff of Kings - Sequel to those two built for the Wii and PS2 by external studios with Wiimote aiming for shooting and horrible Arkham inspired combat.

Lucasarts internally was working on Staff of Kings for PS3 and 360, but Uncharted releasing caused them to cancel those versions and only release the external ports.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Y'all are some picky ass mofos lol.

Even in compressed YT format, it looks good. The hair, clothing material etc all look really well detailed, with sweat/condensation.

7ArFRFE.png

The incidental detail on even his hand is immaculate with fingerprints and creases between the knuckles also visible.

xfANfTi.png

It looks a bit plastic if you ask me. Looks good but not amazing. Certainly last gen but unfortunately that is not uncommon

Top Bottom