• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

BlackTron

Indy, not indie

And why do you think there is so much talk about the Indiana Jones game? The talk is overshadowing even Hellblade 2 and Avowed. I’ve seen even diehard PS fans saying they need to buy a Xbox now.

The thing is, there is a big chunk of older gamers, many likely feeling nostalgic over seeing Indiana Jones, same generation who grew up with Star Wars. And Indy is the original treasure hunter that creators iterated on and created Tomb Raider, Uncharted, even Rick Dangerous and Spelunky. It may not be a big thing for you and probably not for the Fortnite crowd but for many others it is a big deal. And also, it was awhile since we had a new Uncharted and Tomb Raider. And we don’t know what they’re doing there yet, old man Nathan might be swapped out to Chloe or Cassie and who knows what they’ll do to poor ol Lara.

I assumed this game would kill on PC because IJ is recognized by the type of older guys who were making custom PC years ago and have rigs now, but your post made me realize that the original generation of IJ fans who will notice this out of nostalgia are actually so old that they leapfrogged over being PC geeks and their heyday was setting the time on the VCR

ManaByte

Gold Member
It may not be a big thing for you and probably not for the Fortnite crowd but for many others it is a big deal
maxresdefault.jpg

fortnite-first-misadventure-loading-screen-1920x1080-c855ebfa86e2.jpg

PaintTinJr

Bethesda isn’t making the game though
Well, yes, true .... but the Executive Producer of Bethesda is signing off on the game, and I'd argue the dev-team is as much Bethesda's idtech team providing/maintaining the engine/tools for the game. As the tech is a little less versatile than the typical off the peg middleware used by most UE/Unity devs making any type of game.

IMO the games made with idtech typically have a strong FPS leaning design. I'd also guess that the motion capture for Indy cutscenes was done by Bethesda too, so when I said Bethesda rough edges, it was the shared technology causing the rough edges that I was really referencing.

Toons

Virtue signaling with the shirt in a promotional video actually tells us a lot about how they may write.

Wearing a shirt with something he is invested in isn't virtue signaling any more than wearing a flag on one's shirt. It just means you may not be fond of the thing he's choosing to represent on his shirt.

And no, it says nothing about how he writes lol

Last edited:

Noxxera

Ngl I saw the trailer earlier today and was disappointed in graphics looking old-gen in some cutscenes. This game would easily have received more hype if graphics truly looked nextgen. Dont get me wrong I'm sure the gameplay and game will be solid, but the graphics wasn't jawdropping which is a shame what it would do to the Xbox brand. It's a nitpick for some but whatever. Would be a good reason to rub it in sony boys faces.

I thought some parts looked great but others looked a bit flat, but the game is still in development. I do wonder how it would have looked if they had the coalition making this game though.

Last edited:

Moochi

It's not a great recreation. It's a jarring, uncanny valley version of Indy. Perhaps it's because I know his face so well, but the eyes and cheeks are just wrong.

I thought some parts looked great but others looked a bit flat, but the game is still in development. I do wonder how it would have looked if they had the coalition making this game though.
Oh I'd imagine it would look significantly better but I thought it looked good as well and hopefully it runs at 60fps.

Fredrik

Palworld taking over the world now, Indy getting me truly excited, Hellblade 2 in May, Mana in the summer, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 in Sept, Avowed later.
I might actually consider resubbing to Gamepass again. Strong year.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Not talking about resolution, but character quality.

It's pretty good but a generational leap that's being claimed? Other than resolution I don't see it. Hellblade 2 looks like a generational leap.

ID tech doesn’t have the high detailed texture quality. It’s mostly shiny but it all feels flat and the lighting shows it. The faces look like deep fake or face swapped. You can see it when he is in the sand. Also the other characters look pretty bad. The weird shiny corners around their eyes mouth, nose is typically ID tech, i never liked this engine.

Imo it all looks like some old gen game upscaled to 4K. Game could be fun but the graphics look dated.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I think first person was a mistake. In order to pull off satisfying platforming it would have to resemble Mirror's Edge or something close to it. I don't think they would try that, but if they did that would sell me on it.

We're probably looking at a more narratively driven set-piece experience.
That's just silly.

You can have a platform game in the 1st person and make it work even ones with puzzles too. Exhumed and Metroid Prime were doing just that, decades ago. In saying that no doubt NeoGAF back then was saying Metroid Prime must be 2D or 3rd person, and the game will never work as an FPS. We must see her ass or the game will fail *rollseyes*

SirTerry-T

I assumed this game would kill on PC because IJ is recognized by the type of older guys who were making custom PC years ago and have rigs now, but your post made me realize that the original generation of IJ fans who will notice this out of nostalgia are actually so old that they leapfrogged over being PC geeks and their heyday was setting the time on the VCR
Now, now...some of us couldn't even figure that out.

SirTerry-T

It's not a great recreation. It's a jarring, uncanny valley version of Indy. Perhaps it's because I know his face so well, but the eyes and cheeks are just wrong.
It's probably 80% Harrison and 20% Troy. You can see a bit of Troy's likeness around the eyes. It's probably a performance capture "thing" but it also could be that Harrison's likeness is notoriously difficult to capture.

kunonabi

That's just silly.

You can have a platform game in the 1st person and make it work even ones with puzzles too. Exhumed and Metroid Prime were doing just that, decades ago. In saying that no doubt NeoGAF back then was saying Metroid Prime must be 2D or 3rd person, and the game will never work as an FPS. We must see her ass or the game will fail *rollseyes*

Indy is expected to do more than side hop, shoot things, and occasionally grapple around. Indy action scenes and set pieces are some of the best ever put to film and you can't match any of that in a game where you're essentially controlling a wheeled camera rig with a gun strapped to it

Sony

Nintendo
I'm a bit late with the videos from the MS dev showcase, I just show the Indy gameplay trailer. Then I came in this thread... I Don't think I remember a bigger disconnect between my perception and GAF lol

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Which ones? In terms of character models I'd say Last of Us Part 2 comes the closest but still falls a bit short in PBR material quality. Also 1080p/30 vs much higher res/60.
Just off the top of my head:
  • RDR 2
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Resident Evil Village
  • TLOU 2
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Shadow of Tomb Raider

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm gonna guess he got it from one of those twitter dumbasses like the red dwerp or someone similar.

That's what I mean, I don't blame James but you know these twitter losers have to feel threatened if this is what they are resorting to.

Shit like this circulates, and people fall for it.

Indy is expected to do more than side hop, shoot things, and occasionally grapple around. Indy action scenes and set pieces are some of the best ever put to film and you can't match any of that in a game where you're essentially controlling a wheeled camera rig with a gun strapped to it
Yes Jumping off a plane wing tip on to a on coming plane, isn't a setpiece actions you would see in a film or game .

I never knew I was talking to a experienced fully fledge games designer, who knows better than MachineGames, or even bother s to watch the games trailer . My mistake *Rollseyes*

Zathalus

Just off the top of my head:
  • RDR 2
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Resident Evil Village
  • TLOU 2
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Shadow of Tomb Raider
Character models though? I disagree with everything bar TLOU 2. Going off the 4k screenshots and not shitty captures of course.

Character models though? I disagree with everything bar TLOU 2. Going off the 4k screenshots and not shitty captures of course.

Yeah most of those games listed are at the very least on par, even missing some games like Spider-Man which looks really good for characters outside of Mary Jane (Indy’s female protag here looks bad too)

I’m not seeing the big excitement over the characters as a “next gen leap” like is being claimed. It looks good! But not next gen hellblade 2 good

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

It's also available on GoG for $5.99

Never played it before, another game on the backlog.
Great game and it does hold up! Replayed it a few months ago on series x. There's one tricky level (people who played it know which one) where it took me a few hours to get get through it but overall fantastic.

On pc you should look up the gog forums on how to properly map the controller.

Otherwise it plays great with keyboard and mouse.

Top Bottom