• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Andrew.

Banned
Platted over the weekend. It was a fuckin blast and I enjoyed it every step of the way. Evil Expert was surprisingly easy and I didnt really have many issues with bosses. I think the most deaths were due to the final one, but even then its all about pattern recognition baby.

dcx4610

Got my platinum last night. Delsin didn't do anything special for me though like some of you described. Didn't some of you say he says something like "well we did everything now" or something like that? I got nothing.

You didn't miss much. It was just a nod to you for finishing. No cut scene or anything, you just hear Delsin say (paraphrasing)

We've been through a lot together but officially, we are done.

Jrmint

Yeah I'd say Neon is the best power for a Good playthrough, I'm still on the fence when it comes to Evil... I'm sticking to the third power for now.
After finishing my first play through as good, here is my assessment of the powers:

3. Smoke - Honestly pretty bad. Boring to use, traversal is terrible compared to the other two and damage is nothing great.

2. Neon - My favorite for the majority of the game, even after acquiring the 3rd. Traversal is a blast and the slow down on shots is amazing.

1. 3rd one turned out to be the best. I wasn't sold on it at first but it does way more damage than neon. 1 rocket burst takes down just about any enemy. Traversal skills are probably also the best since you can stay in the air longer than endless run.

Not gonna rate the final thing since you get it so late.

Ephemeris

Completed my evil run (did the good weeks ago). Missed my time-slow down Neon shot.

But #3 is definitely the superior mode of travel.

I liked how certain gameplay mechanics changed when I was evil (no worries about my karma getting reset).

But damn did that ending get dark.

Shinjiru

Final power spoiler:
Too bad Delsin doesn't leave a trail of concrete behind when he launches in the air like the D.U.P.'s do. It looks awesome.

No way of increasing the size of the menu fonts? It's tiny :(

Only put 2 or so hours in, but think there's a massive downgrade in the intuitiveness in the map and power menu. Would have preferred a more traditional HUD as well

Trophy question:

If I do a completionist Good run on Normal, will I be able to do an easy sweepup on Evil Hard, without having to take over all the districts etc?

I miss the slight autoaim in the controls tbh, feel like I'm struggling with accuracy more than I did in the first 2

Yes. I did exactly that. Although I maxed out the three powers, by collecting most of the shards.

Cheers.

Do they ever introduce more variety to the side-missions, other than Audiologs, Hidden cameras, secret agents and tags?

Seems a little shallow, I liked the way civilians would give you (somewhat) unique missions in the first 2

Melchiah

Cheers.

Do they ever introduce more variety to the side-missions, other than Audiologs, Hidden cameras, secret agents and tags?

Seems a little shallow, I liked the way civilians would give you (somewhat) unique missions in the first 2

The
Fetch & Eugene
missions were different, and the civilians
curse and even attack you towards the end
, otherwise it was the same. The experience run was surprisingly easy, partly due to how the powers work on the evil side.

EDIT: Forgot the street musicians, sign twirlers, activist rallies, and Akuran gang members which are side tasks on the evil side. Not much difference there to those on the good side though. The first two become a bit harder the further you go on the evil side, as the civilians
start to run away, when you approach them. So, you need to take them out from afar.

Really growing on me now, controls much better with Neon

The disparity between the quality of main and side-content is incredible.

Such a beautiful game.

dcx4610

No way of increasing the size of the menu fonts? It's tiny :(

Only put 2 or so hours in, but think there's a massive downgrade in the intuitiveness in the map and power menu. Would have preferred a more traditional HUD as well

Trophy question:

If I do a completionist Good run on Normal, will I be able to do an easy sweepup on Evil Hard, without having to take over all the districts etc?

I miss the slight autoaim in the controls tbh, feel like I'm struggling with accuracy more than I did in the first 2

I did Good Karma on Normal, collected all shards, took over all districts and did all of the missions. I then started Evil Karma on Expert and only bothered to collect enough shards to get the powers I wanted to beat the game.

Expert is easy on Evil since you can just kill everything in sight. You already know how to play the game at that point and can pick and choose your powers as needed. I think I only took over 2 districts just for easy shards.

Endless

Comparison images from the European PS Blog's Flickr
1398979377-infamous-second-son-seattle-elephant-car-wash.jpg

1398979377-infamous-second-son-seattle-green-cab.jpg

1398979383-infamous-second-son-seattle-monorail.jpg

1398979378-infamous-second-son-seattle-market.jpg

1398979381-infamous-second-son-seattle-blue-turret-building.jpg

1398979383-infamous-second-son-seattle-skyline.jpg

1398979378-infamous-second-son-seattle-crocodile.jpg

1398979384-infamous-second-son-seattle-space-needle-centre.jpg

1398979383-infamous-second-son-seattle-sonic-boom.jpg

1398979381-infamous-second-son-seattle-gum-wall.jpg

Decided to finally start a new game on Expert with Evil Karma. Being evil never felt so good. Having too much fun killing people left and right not giving a single fuck

Philippo

I'm at second island, just done the "Fan" quest.
Had a legit WTF at
angels
Anyway, having a blast with this title: incredible graphics (a real leap over last-gen), but mostly i'm surprised at how fluid everything is, from loading assence to just running around with neon dash. Feels really next-gen to me.

Bit disappointing is that once i maxed out neon(infinite dash, bullet time, insta-kill granade), i stopped using smoke. Hope the other 2 powers change this a bit.

jonabbey

Finally picked this up earlier this week. So far I've gotten through the third district on my first (good) play through.

I really liked the intro and the initial weather in Seattle, but so far it just seems like there's something missing. Part of it is that the traversal is more awkward than in the other Infamous games so far, but part of it is that this is the third game in the series and the district-by-district cleanups and blast shard hunting is getting a bit old.

I like Delsin the character quite a bit, but when the game isn't doing dramatic scenes with him, he feels as generic as any other character. I think it helped Cole having Zeke as the NPC foil, and the mystery about the mythology helped too.

Right now, I feel like I'd rather be back in the woods of the opening scenes, trying to protect Betty, rather than struggling to get around the city.

The graphics are fantastic, of course, but they feel like they fade into the background while I'm playing, rather than creating an interesting world to explore. So far, the space needle has been the only really interesting structure to climb on.

DieH@rd

Banned
Finally got my (first) platinum. The only one I had left to do was beat the game on expert. I actually ended up having more fun playing evil for the second time on expert than I did on my good playthrough. And way too much time was wasted with photo mode this time around.

Now to finally start those paper trail missions..

Im just finishing up my first playthrough [cleaned entire city]. I had a blast with good powers, but I expect that evil will be even better. :)

artist

Banned
Just finished the game with Good Karma. So do I just start killing people to become evil karma or do I need to start a new game?

Endo Punk

The game is just as fun on good run. Prefer to use smoke for that run, feels great to headshot them into coughing state and smoke grenade gets a lot use. Really hope SP show off the DLC at E3.

Just finished the game with Good Karma. So do I just start killing people to become evil karma or do I need to start a new game?

Star new game for evil karma story.

Philippo

I'm in the middle pf my 2nd playthrough for the platinum and damn, having to chatch all the fragments again (and with them destroying all the dup machines) because otherwise you're underpowered is such a turnoff.
I hoped i could speedrun through it but nope.

I'm in the middle pf my 2nd playthrough for the platinum and damn, having to chatch all the fragments again (and with them destroying all the dup machines) because otherwise you're underpowered is such a turnoff.

That's not true, you don't need get all the fragments again. if you have at least Neon full you can beat the game. There is not such thing as underpowered in these game, even on Hard. Really easy plat.

Endo Punk

That's not true, you don't need get all the fragments again. if you have at least Neon full you can beat the game. There is not such thing as underpowered in these game, even on Hard. Really easy plat.

I see it more as a fun platinum rather than an easy one. Considering most people don't beat games asking them to play twice and on the hardest difficulty setting is a tall order. The game has surpassed a million sales within 9 days prob much more now, must be doing something right to have 10% of the userbase to platinum it.

Philippo

I don't know man, just with smoke alone a group of enemies with a special one (gatling gun guy) almost tears me apart.
I dunno, i guess i'll try like you said.

FireCloud

On my second play through I wanted to collect all of the shards as well. I didn't worry about the other side missions, e.g. audio logs, secret agents, etc. (though I did check out some of the spray paint missions since they are different depending upon which karma you choose) It didn't take too long to clear those DUP stations and it gave me practice with the evil powers.

I see it more as a fun platinum rather than an easy one. Considering most people don't beat games asking them to play twice and on the hardest difficulty setting is a tall order. The game has surpassed a million sales within 9 days prob much more now, must be doing something right to have 10% of the userbase to platinum it.

I just got the platinum yesterday evening. It wasn't too hard to do. I don't typically platinum games. This is the first one I put the effort into. The Resistance: Burning Skies platinum doesn't count because I got that without even trying on my first play through.

The Hat Trick trophy was the hardest one for me to get.
You may want to leave one of the DUP machines until after you have three powers. Pick one that has tall buildings near by with each of the powers available to switch to. I left the one in the center of the southern map. Then pick one of the enemies that can take a fair amount of damage (remembering which one you picked) and hit him once with two powers and then finish him off with the third. What took me a while was I kept forgetting which enemy I was working on. Finally picked one of those big chain gun guys and spammed him from a distance from the roof of a nearby skyscraper.

Playing the evil karma second is probably the easiest way to go for the Expert difficulty. But I didn't enjoy the choices or the ending during my infamous play through. I'm assuming that the good karma story is canon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Fun game so far. But I really dislike the use of the touchpad for draining. Annoying how it feels like they tried to force you to use the touchpad just to use it. Would have felt much more natural if you could just use l3 pr r3

Anyhow do you guys recommend turning on the Fps limiter? Are there noticeable drops or issues with it unlocked?

Fun game so far. But I really dislike the use of the touchpad for draining. Annoying how it feels like they tried to force you to use the touchpad just to use it. Would have felt much more natural if you could just use l3 pr r3

Anyhow do you guys recommend turning on the Fps limiter? Are there noticeable drops or issues with it unlocked?

Personally I think it's much better without the limiter, I never understood the complaints people had about it being unlocked. To me it looks fine when it's in the 40s.

Personally I think it's much better without the limiter, I never understood the complaints people had about it being unlocked. To me it looks fine when it's in the 40s.

The game feels way better with it off, so glad this is a thing now. The second I turned on fps limit it felt like shit in comparison.

RedAssedApe

Banned
are trophy notifications bugged in this game? i thought it was strange that i made it all the way to seattle without any trophies popping. so i went to my trophies section and noticed two bronzes that i never knew i unlocked while playing.

DieH@rd

Banned
I finished good karma, and then started a new game on new save slot. At first opportunity I switched the difficulty to Extreme.

Will that be enough for me to get that extreme trophy, or do I need to be on extreme when clicking on "start new game" button?

Is there any way to skip cutscenes?

Finished my second runthrough over the weekend - an evil/hard run to balance out my initial good/normal one. Fun game is still a fun time.

Used mostly smoke and neon in my first playthrough, but found myself using more smoke and especially
video (we still spoilering powers?)
the second time around.

Still don't have the platinum though its definitely within reach if I ever feel so inclined - am more interested in post-game DLC that'll let me get off the hook again.

someday

Banned
I finished good karma, and then started a new game on new save slot. At first opportunity I switched the difficulty to Extreme.

Will that be enough for me to get that extreme trophy, or do I need to be on extreme when clicking on "start new game" button?

Is there any way to skip cutscenes?
I don't think you can choose hard when you first start a new game. It's a few scenes in. Just switch as soon as the game lets you and you should be fine. I'm pretty sure the update now tells you if you are eligible for the trophy when you look at the options/save screen.

Ljwinter

Banned
A few weeks ago I got 100% good on normal and 100% evil on hard. Now what? I guess I could do some raids but is there anything else? I also haven't looked into the Cole's missions or whatever they're called. Are they actual missions for the game? I just put in the code and download the update?

Andrew.

Banned
I find myself still popping this game in just to see the first twenty minutes or so. I love the cutscenes and acting so damn much. When Del first meets Augustine is such a great scene. "Well I do get nervouos around pretty girls..." *makes face like "ugh, why the hell did I just say that?"*

I REALLY wish Sucker Punch would patch in a cutscene viewer.

Andrew.

Banned
any recommended audio mix?

have been using ps gold wireless headset even though my headphones aren't lol

Get the headset companion app off of the PSN Store (its free) and there is an audio mix specifically for Second Son.

And it's downright awesome

~~Hasan~~

how do I use my super ultimate power in this game ? so far I have only used it once for each power " 3 power obtained so far "

and its by pressing the D pad down " I think". but it only happens when I acquired that power. like, I was instructed to do so.

is there a way I can fill the power meter or something and then release it ? how do I do it ?

Andrew.

Banned
how do I use my super ultimate power in this game ? so far I have only used it once for each power " 3 power obtained so far "

and its by pressing the D pad down " I think". but it only happens when I acquired that power. like, I was instructed to do so.

is there a way I can fill the power meter or something and then release it ? how do I do it ?

If you're playing good, you have to fill all those blue bars in the bomb icon on the side of the screen by doing good deeds (stopping drug dealers, healing civs). It takes seven deeds to fill the blue bomb and then you just hit down whenever.

If you're playing evil it's a little different. You make the skull icon bigger by doing six or seven evil deeds, BUT the combo meter is on a timer so you've got to be quick about it. Once the skull is at it's max size then you hit down.

If you're playing good, you have to fill all those blue bars in the bomb icon on the side of the screen by doing good deeds (stopping drug dealers, healing civs). It takes seven deeds to fill the blue bomb and then you just hit down whenever.

If you're playing evil it's a little different. You make the skull icon bigger by doing six or seven evil deeds, BUT the combo meter is on a timer so you've got to be quick about it. Once the skull is at it's max size then you hit down.

I beat the game twice and didn't know there was a combo meter...

~~Hasan~~

ah ok thanks. i just finished the game on good. awesome game, i am going to play it as evil as i want to know how the story change. i wonder if neon and angel will help me as they did around the end of the tower or the plot will change

tmespe

Just got this game. Looks fantastic, but it's taking me a shitload of time to get anywhere, as I keep stopping to use the photo mode all the time. Almost wish I didn't know about it until I finished.

Gav

Working through evil on expert now to work towards the platinum.

The only trophy i'm having difficulty with so far is comet dropping on 3 coughing enemies!

Working through evil on expert now to work towards the platinum.

The only trophy i'm having difficulty with so far is comet dropping on 3 coughing enemies!

I did it by attacking one of the APCs. When the DUP guys come out you can spam the smoke grenades then drop on them.

Top Bottom