• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

DieH@rd

Banned
Working through evil on expert now to work towards the platinum.

The only trophy i'm having difficulty with so far is comet dropping on 3 coughing enemies!

Go find drug dealers [they are grouped close one to another], walk to them, drop caught bombs and then directly from there just tap X button to jump little higher and comet drop from 2m height. It's easy.

However, I did this on good path. I dont know if those drug dealers would be considered "enemies" in evil path.

NeoRausch

Get the headset companion app off of the PSN Store (its free) and there is an audio mix specifically for Second Son.

And it's downright awesome

wait... the app supports normal headphones too?
I never bothered to download it because I don't have the gold headset.

graywolf323

finally got around to finishing the Paper Trail stuff and while I know a lot of people were disappointed with it I still overall enjoyed it just for how it expanded the story

hope Celia shows up in whatever dlc they are planning

Just got around to completing my evil playthrough and getting the platinum. I think I enjoyed the evil ending more than I did the good one.

JP

Working through evil on expert now to work towards the platinum.

The only trophy i'm having difficulty with so far is comet dropping on 3 coughing enemies!
I think luck comes into it but I got it quite easily (Evil on Expert). Planning can help so that you have a few enemies in the same area so doing something like attacking an APC, activating a District Showdown or waiting until you've finished the game and you need to clear the DUPs from an area. It may take you a couple of attempts but remember that you don't have to do it from high up, you can start on the same level that the enemies on and get it.

Endo Punk

How very odd.
The boss fight where Augustine wants to see your neon power, if you don't use neon the cutscene still acts like you did. I feel either time was cut short and they couldn't do an alternative cutscene or SP just completely missed it.

Ran through good to 100%. What a fucking awesome game. Loved almost every single minute. Even the little hunts, the repetitive missions ... all were awesome with the powers and you could switch it up.

I probably will play an evil playthrough in a few months/year if I ever go back to it ... but man. What a simply fantastic and drop dead gorgeous game.

NoTacos

I just started this game a couple days ago.

Does anyone know how many blast shards there are? I'm looking to max out neon and masonry powers but want to know if I have enough to upgrade other stuff on the side

Arrrammis

I just started this game a couple days ago.

Does anyone know how many blast shards there are? I'm looking to max out neon and masonry powers but want to know if I have enough to upgrade other stuff on the side

There are exactly enough blast shards to fully upgrade all powers.

Jedi2016

Does this game have vibration or is my controller broken, any power I can test?
All of 'em? I think it vibrates when you use neon for traversal, running up walls and stuff. Vibrates quite a bit, really, I notice it because the game's quiet when you're not really doing much, so the controller's kinda noisy.

All of 'em? I think it vibrates when you use neon for traversal, running up walls and stuff. Vibrates quite a bit, really, I notice it because the game's quiet when you're not really doing much, so the controller's kinda noisy.

I dont have neon powers yet, early in game but it should vibrate with smoke powers, correct?

edit: fixed, resynced controller, didnt even think about that, thanks.

taizuke

I finished good karma, and then started a new game on new save slot. At first opportunity I switched the difficulty to Extreme.

Will that be enough for me to get that extreme trophy, or do I need to be on extreme when clicking on "start new game" button?

That's how i did it. But, as long as it says "eligible for trophy" next to the extreme difficulty option then you should be fine.

Btw, anyone else find themselves not using fast travel if at all? I maybe used it 3 times tops cause i rather use Delsin's powers to get from point A to B cause it was just more fun that way.

leng jai

That's how i did it. But, as long as it says "eligible for trophy" next to the extreme difficulty option then you should be fine.

Btw, anyone else find themselves not using fast travel if at all? I maybe used it 3 times tops cause i rather use Delsin's powers to get from point A to B cause it was just more fun that way.

I never used it. It's not like Seattle is all that big in the first place.

Duxxy3

Keep asking the devs about custom controls and still no response. I hope other shooters don't force L2/R2, because I just can't stand them.

GulAtiCa

Ended up platinuming the game yesterday. I really liked the game. Though felt it was kinda short, even after playing it twice, the good vs evil was kinda unimportant, wish they made the evil path diverge a little more. Also felt that the game was cheap at times with the enemy auto-target with their guns and follow you no matter where you went..

Despite that, I really enjoyed it. Esp the open city, the powers, and the nice graphics. Neon power zooming through the city and vertically up walls was my favorite.

For the good vs evil, I wish they changed up the game so that the evil path ended up changing the story more than just people disliking you. Would have loved for it to have the game have completely different story for evil path, as no matter what, the outcome was generally the same I felt. Except for obviously (end game spoiler)
being rejected by your tribe and not being able to save them
. I would have loved for the evil path to do at least one major change:
Have Reggie be alive in evil path. Would have been perfect I think. Would have added to the tribe disowning you even better

NateDrake

Maybe I'm just burnt out from inFamous/2 but the side-missions of Second Son are dull. The entire game feels like it recycles the same ideas over and over again with little variation. I'm enjoying the game but it feels lacking in some regards.

Xenon

Maybe I'm just burnt out from inFamous/2 but the side-missions of Second Son are dull. The entire game feels like it recycles the same ideas over and over again with little variation. I'm enjoying the game but it feels lacking in some regards.

Just finished the good campaign, I wasn't feeling it until I received
neon
powers. But it got a lot better from there. I really enjoyed it. But I agree with you on the side missions and would add hunting down the drones was equally boring. This and the post above that mentions there is little divergence in the evil path has made me decide to take advantage of Gamestop's 50% extra credit for trade ins.
It will pay for most of Watch Dogs.

I just finished it and it is rare these days that a game has me wanting to play more like a book you can't put down but I finished it in no time at all. It is a little on the short side maybe but I am going to go through and retake all the districts and play Paper Trail.

After I do this do you think SP has any more good DLC planned or think it is safe to sell and just enjoy another title.

I think I also mentioned before this seemed the same as the other games however after playing it felt much better to play. I actually came to like Delsin and thought the powers were great... well except one maybe.

Sushen

Just started to play and mildly disappointed. Many times it's unclear what the game wants me to do. Also, open but closed world where I get game over by just stepping outside was rather weird. Hopefully, it gets better later.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just got the game and a PS4. Good graphics! The story doesn't look great, though. Also, the side missions are repetitive.

I liked the story [it gets better and better], and side missions are repetitive but are extremely quick to be done. The core gamplay and traversal is so fun that I fully enjoyed clearing everything. If you don't like taversal with Smoke, just wait. Next 2 powers are enabling user to traverse much faster [3rd power is incredibly fun].

I liked the story [it gets better and better], and side missions are repetitive but are extremely quick to be done. The core gamplay and traversal is so fun that I fully enjoyed clearing everything. If you don't like taversal with Smoke, just wait. Next 2 powers are enabling user to traverse much faster [3rd power is incredibly fun].

I've just got the neon power, actually. It's alright, looks very cool and the extra speed makes me think of Saints Row 4. Not sure how far into the game I am.

NoTacos

I've just got the neon power, actually. It's alright, looks very cool and the extra speed makes me think of Saints Row 4. Not sure how far into the game I am.

once you get to the second island of Seattle I'd say about 40% done.

I started playing 3 days ago (regular, good karma) free roam is definitely the best part in my opinion,
random battles with DUPs and helicopters pop out of nowhere and
its a thrill. I can definitely see how its harder to do good karma in the game because you can easily harm or kill innocent citizens by mistake, but its still fun to try and "do the right thing." Saving evil karma for the run-back in a year or so on expert difficulty.

Surprisingly, I still haven't upgraded any of my powers and have been getting along with the game just fine. Only upgrade I got
was a mandatory one for smoke near the beginning of the game (I think for the smoke missiles)
. Besides that I've racked up well over 160+ shards and counting, 8/10 districts cleared. So far solid game, hilarious AI glitches.

Got my tax return last week and bought a PS4 along with Infamous and Killzone. Just owned a 360 last gen, but had the extra cash so I figured why not. Liking the story so far, but it's gonna take some time to get my controller kinks ironed out. I can't parkour or aim for shit yet. I play most fps's with a pretty high sensitivity, so I have the aim sensitivity set to fast. Any sensitivity tips?

RedAssedApe

Banned
just finished this up.

it was a fun game but like all open worlders...the variety tends to be lacking and missions tend to get a little stale after awhile.

great graphics and the traversal of the world was really fun and well done. powers were all different enough to be viable although it would have been neat to be able to switch on the fly and drain while in motion. wish there was a little more variety when it came to melee.

on thing i really did not like in this game was the music. i dunno a lot of it just annoyed me.

overall i'd probably give it an eight. not quite that system seller/10 game for the ps4 but still very good. i don't think i'm going to bother with a second play though. is the paper trail thingie worth playing? trophies? :)

I've finished the game. Well, it wasn't all that great. Decent but forgettable. It has ' (almost) launch title' written all over it. Bring on the Watch Dogs, Destinys, Final Fantasys and stuff!

NHale

Finished it as well and my biggest problem is that the game lacks content. The main story is very short and it feels rushed and they could have easily develop some characters. Side missions are a joke. I refuse to call something that can be done by just pressing a button a side mission.

On the other hand the game is still fun like previous inFamous and it looks amazing. Powers are one of the highlights of the game and destroying DUP mobile trucks or collecting blast shards is a blast and I wish there were more playgrounds to destroy in the open world.

But as a whole the lack of content is definitely a bummer. I wonder what caused this but maybe it's next-gen related issues considering it's not the only case until now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
And suffer the wrath of Courtney Love? Helllll no.

I still say they should've started playing the solo to Pearl Jam's "Alive" as your ascending the Space Needle.

they played up the whole seattle grunge thing in trailers and stuff...but the actual in game music was pretty disappointing to me :\

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Finished my good karma run yesterday and it was great. The soundtrack is awesome when the action gets going. Now, time to start my bad karma run.

Btw, photo mode is addicting.

Expert mode is impossible. I always get killed because the fucking camera wouldn't let me see the enemy or where the shooting came from. That's bullshit.

Melchiah

they played up the whole seattle grunge thing in trailers and stuff...but the actual in game music was pretty disappointing to me :\

Completely the opposite for me. I liked the soundtrack, and was satisfied they didn't use more material from any bands.

methane47

Finished the game earlier today...man it started slow... Smoke powers weren't really my thing... But the THIRD power really won me over.... I basically stuck with that for the rest of the game

I got the Platinum trophy last night.

Well, the game was alright as a tech demo for the PS4 but otherwise it's not memorable. I remember seeing a lot of hype on GAF before the game came out, which seems exaggerated to me now.

Edit: The DUP and their machine guns were fucking annoying. And that camera, how atrocious.

.J.

Banned
Expert mode is impossible. I always get killed because the fucking camera wouldn't let me see the enemy or where the shooting came from. That's bullshit.

This isn't a stealth brag, but...

I actually found it to not be all that bad, surprisingly so. Granted, most of my play involved keeping my distance from enemies and dispatching them in small chunks, but I accepted that as part of the strategy required for a higher difficulty level.

Like others have suggested, static aiming is easier.

I'm playing through again on easy for my baddy trophies, and I honestly don't see a dramatic difference in difficulty level other than some bosses requiring fewer hits to wear down.

.J.

Banned
I got the Platinum trophy last night.

Well, the game was alright as a tech demo for the PS4 but otherwise it's not memorable. I remember seeing a lot of hype on GAF before the game came out, which seems exaggerated to me now.

Edit: The DUP and their machine guns were fucking annoying. And that camera, how atrocious.

You're right. It's not game of the year quality by any means, but it is definitely a beautiful showcase of what the system can do visually. The character models, the face mapping, the fact that things you destroy in the environment STAY destroyed throughout the entire game... all of that is great.

But the story is pretty dumb, especially playing for evil karma, where your cut scenes for infamous decisions and your actions to build evil karma are totally incongruous with your standardized cut scenes and interactions with your cop brother. He'll kind of sort of chastise you for murdering protestors in cold blood, then turn around and playfully quip with you as though it really wasn't that big of a deal. Also, the motivation of wanting to save a few people in your home town doesn't mesh well with a guy who kills dudes trying to make a modest living holding signs on street corners.

Not that any of that is inherent to a generation, but it's bad writing in general, and that combined with the repetitive nature of the gameplay means I won't be revisiting this one unless some pretty dope DLC drops.

Kinsei

Banned
I picked up a PS4 last night along with this game and although I'm really enjoying it so far (I've already got 77%, hooray for holidays), I must say that I prefer Infamous 2 to this.

My biggest gripe is how similar the powers feel to Cole's powers. You'd think with the 3 power sets I currently have they'd differentiate them from the three in Infamous 2, but they don't. The only truly unique abilities so far are the traversal abilities (and I would be remiss not to mention how amazing these are), and invisibility (this is also amazing).

I also dislike how similar the power sets are to each other. Let's take the third power set for example,
my expectations for this power were incredibly high, I mean how could they not be, I thought I could summon an army of angels and demons to fight alongside me, since y'know that's what Eugene does, but instead it was just more of the same, except invisibility which is awesome. You get your standard shot (this time in rapid fire), missiles, and karmic bomb, which despite each one looking unique all seem to do the same thing.

I think I'm far enough to comment on the (lack of) enemy variety. You've got soldiers, big soldiers with miniguns, guys with concrete swirling around them (that don't seem to attack you), soldiers that can make shields and melee soldiers. I understand that they don't want you fighting other conduits, so why not give the DUP robots?

Also talking about lack of variety, what's with the lack of side missions? The only ones that feels like a true side mission are the audio logs and the paper trail. Where are the cool side stories like the first two games? What reason do I have to go after undercover DUP agents, when they don't seem to be doing anything?

The city of Seattle is boring. I really hope they go back to a fictional city if they decide to do another Infamous game.

I am really enjoying the game, but I can't help but feel slightly disappointed.

Tamanon

Banned
Picked up a PS4 today along with Second Son. I barely played the first Infamous, and didn't touch the second one. This game feels great thus far. I have most of the Smoke powers thus far, and the traversal and combat feels outstanding. Plus the game looks absolutely gorgeous.

I picked the game up on a whim, since I bought the PS4 for Watch Dogs next week, and definitely loving the purchase. Great showcase of next-gen possibility.

Top Bottom