• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal batteries ARE AN ANTI CONSUMER SCAM

What do You think?

• Internal is perfect. No complaints

Votes: 168 29.3%
  • Internal is anti consumer but I do not care

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Internal would be great if they offered replacements

Votes: 96 16.7%
  • Battery door would be better for options

Votes: 245 42.7%
  • I DO NOT CARE AT ALL

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
After the announcement of Dualsense Pro Edge controller I must come back to his tragic topic.
Many of you have been fooled. Made to think that internal batteries are somehow "comfortable".
This will be yet another 200$ controller with internal battery and no official way to replace it and not other options to power it.
Sony is not selling official replacements for internal batteries and you are stuck with what you get or aftermarket crap.

Internal batteries usage type:
-Use the controller until it depletes
-Connect and play
-Or stop playing, connect and wait with charger
-Controller dies few % each year. A bit with every recharge cycle.
-10-20 years, you get what's happening to ps3 controllers now. Very short or dead battery life. Looking for aftermarket replacements. No official replacements available.

BATTER DOOR ON A CONTROLLER:
-Use AA/AAA
-Use AA/AAA rechargeables
-Possible higher capacity
-Possible different brands
-Can have 2 pairs and swap in an instant - never have to connect to a console or charger to charge and wait.
-Possibility to use Play'n'charge kit that takes place of battery door and just charges with usb c cable normally. Can replace these. Sony could make em just like m$.
-Possibility (in concept, maybe some controller does this) to just charge batteries inside a controller. So just using it exactly like internal but with a batter door do be able to swap dying batteries after years.

There are absolutely no drawbacks to having a batter door on a controller for AA/AAA batteries/rechargeables / play and charge kits.
Your controller will never die.
You will never have to wait for it to charge potentially.
In 20 years, you will just put in new batteries and go.

BUILT-IN Batteries are anti consumer. Create waste products.
Lithiuum Ion batteries are dying and will die. Your every device with internal battery WILL DIE. It's a sad state we accepted this with phones so fight-free.
Even if Sony offered new internal batteries replacements... that would be awesome but they will not do that in years and years after ps4/5 and AAA/AA is a standard tech.

Realistically, I know this probably not a real concern as some after market internals will always be available... But it's not idea... is it ?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
After the announcement of Dualsense Pro Edge controller I must come back to his tragic topic.
Many of you have been fooled. Made to think that internal batteries are somehow "comfortable".
This will be yet another 200$ controller with internal battery and no official way to replace it and not other options to power it.
Sony is not selling official replacements for internal batteries and you are stuck with what you get or aftermarket crap.

-Connect and play
-10-20 years, you get what's happening to ps3 controllers now. Very short or dead battery life. Looking for aftermarket replacements. No official replacements available.

-Use AA/AAA
-Can have 2 pairs and swap in an instant - never have to connect to a console or charger to charge and wait.
-Possibility to use Play'n'charge kit that takes place of battery door and just charges with usb c cable normally. Can replace these. Sony could make em just like m$.
-Possibility (in concept, maybe some controller does this) to just charge batteries inside a controller. So just using it exactly like internal but with a batter door do be able to swap dying batteries after years.

There are absolutely no drawbacks to having a batter door on a controller for AA/AAA batteries/rechargeables / play and charge kits.

Lithiuum Ion batteries are dying and will die. Your every device with internal battery WILL DIE. It's a sad state we accepted this with phones so fight-free.
Even if Sony offered new internal batteries replacements... that would be awesome but they will not do that in years and years after ps4/5 and AAA/AA is a standard tech.

Realistically, I know this probably not a real concern as some after market internals will always be available... But it's not idea... is it ?
You must live a really nice life if this is the shit that bothers you. It’s fine, stop it, and it’s not thread worthy.

Topher

Gold Member
Star Trek GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You must live a really nice life if this is the shit that bothers you. It’s fine, stop it, and it’s not thread worthy.
Thanks. You are probably right. I don't have kids and maybe I have too much free time.
Also, I had/still have very bad time at work and I am probably stressed. I noticed I get annoyed really really easily.... over nothing.

Y'all really need to pick up a dictionary and learn what anti-consume really means. This ain't it.
Isn't offering basic repair parts a given?

Draugoth

Gold Member
At least you people live in countries were internal swapable batteries are affordable

Last edited:

graywolf323

really sounds like the OP needs a vacation

Mark Wahlberg Chill GIF

edit: on topic though I do wish they’d offer replacements

or how 8BitDo handles it where you can either have the rechargeable battery or AAs, and they have replacement rechargeable batteries for like $6’

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

The best solution to me is having the door locked by a simple screw, inside two AA rechargeable batteries, once they die the user can easily replace them.

See I don't like the Microsoft solution either, they have a door for batteries sure, but they don't let me recharge them using the usb-c port, instead I need to buy a proprietary battery and that's BS.

coffinbirth

"no official way to replace it and not other options to power it."

It comes with a USB cable.

But yeah, swappable batteries are a must. I've resorted to 3rd party controllers with swappable batteries for PS3 already, due to lack of new official ones. Got tired of taking apart DS3's to replace them every few years. And yeah, I know DS4 works on PS3...but not well, and will eventually(already have one) succumb to the same issue.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"no official way to replace it and not other options to power it."

It comes with a USB cable.

But yeah, swappable batteries are a must. I've resorted to 3rd party controllers with swappable batteries for PS3 already, due to lack of new official ones. Got tired of taking apart DS3's to replace them every few years. And yeah, I know DS4 works on PS3...but not well, and will eventually(already have one) succumb to the same issue.
It comes with a cable but (I am not sure about this), think if a battery is completely dead, the wire will do nothing

CamHostage

I much prefer replaceable battery slots myself (DualShock replacement batteries aren't too tough but they should be latch-on/latch-off, and then systems like Switch or Vita, that's actually a problem if your battery is completely blown because the systems can't boot on wires alone, so eventually they will be dead-cell bricks.)

However, when you say there should be some kind of battery attachment to charge/power your controller with a USB-C cord, you actually can do that. Plug one of those Power Bank cellphone chargers into your DS4/DS5 and apparently it juices up in gameplay.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The thread you originally ranted about this in clearly listed it, and the wire WILL POWER THE CONTROLLER. Are you serious?
The wire will not if the battery is dead and will not hold any charge. Anyone tried plugging in the wire with battery disconnected?
Sorry, i really do not rmember

DaGwaphics

Personally, I like to have my easily swapped NiMHs on hand, a good set will give you twice the power of most of the internal batteries (2300-2400 mAh). But, I think we can live just fine with internal batteries if we have to. LOL

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why does the battery have to be official? Some aftermarket ones are probably built in the exact same factory that Sony used for Dualshock 3 batteries. Just do your research and read reviews.

coffinbirth

VZBA1yi.jpg

Making me consistently purchase a consumable product that harms the environment is anti consumer…. Not the opposite
Rechargable AA batteries will last you a LOT longer than the cell in a DS3, DS4 or a DualSense...which also contains a harmful battery that will end up in a landfill...but costs considerably more money. The math is pretty clear here.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That electric cars only future is going to fuck us in the hass OP
Of course. Electric cars enthusiasts are on the Elon Musk idiot drugs.
The Lithium and Cobalt are starting to be rare resources. getting more expensive, especially Cobalt.
They are recyclable but very expensive and difficlt
The car batteries loose charge and capacity over time faster than controller battries because of temperature changes.
In most countries, you need coal power to charge the electric vehicle...

Electric cars will be perfect when we get more green solar or wind energy and better tech than lithium ion. Now it's a waste of money

What MS does is a lot more "anti consumer". Their controller come with regular AA batteries not even rechargeable ones, it's unbelievably overpriced in comparison to the competition when you take features in consideration, including not even having a rechargeable battery.

It's better for the player if he has to buy the controller and then a charging kit? I disagree.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
VZBA1yi.jpg

Making me consistently purchase a consumable product that harms the environment is anti consumer…. Not the opposite
This is not about forcing you to buy batteries all the time.
It's about the option !!!
using rechargeables can last you man controllers.
And do not act like dead controllers will not nd up in a landfills. Guess what i will not? my 360 and xbox one controllers

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What MS does is a lot more "anti consumer". Their controller come with regular AA batteries not even rechargeable ones, it's unbelievably overpriced in comparison to the competition when you take features in consideration, including not even having a rechargeable battery.

It's better for the player if he has to buy the controller and then a charging kit? I disagree.
You realize xbox controller is cheaper nd 10pack of AA batteries cost 3$?
But You can buy rechargables.

The best would be like some people above said - If microsoft added rechargables and ALLOWED TO RECHARGE INSDIE A CONTROLLER

You realize xbox controller is cheaper nd 10pack of AA batteries cost 3$?
But You can buy rechargables.

The best would be like some people above said - If microsoft added rechargables and ALLOWED TO RECHARGE INSDIE A CONTROLLER
Ain't nobody going to buy AA batteries in 2022...

Maybe Sony is waiting for MS to show up with this controller that comes with rechargeable AA batteries and charges them, it's only being almost 15 years. As it's stand it's a lot better for most people to just have a controller that comes with a rechargeable battery ready to be used without having to worry about AA batteries or coming up with other solutions.

Last edited:

sendit

-Connect and play

-Use AA/AAA

Shhh....there is a major transition from ICE to EV going on right now with the auto industry. Keep this quiet from the OP, he may have a internal meltdown if he finds out the batteries are internal.

coffinbirth

Yeah, no. Taking apart controllers to replace battery packs SUCKS. They also offer BOTH options with the Elite 2, but I consider that more of a liability than a feature.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Shhh....there is a major transition from ICE to EV going on right now with the auto industry. Keep this quiet from the OP, he may have a internal meltdown if he finds out the batteries are internal.
oh I know. It;s tragic. read few posts above... lol

Yeah, no. Taking apart controllers to replace battery packs SUCKS. They also offer BOTH options with the Elite 2, but I consider that more of a liability than a feature.
Interesting... so in their more expensive controller they went with a rechargeable battery, it almost looks like they are just trying to save up cost with the whole AA battery thing.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You can already recharge a battery pack through the controller as it stands. You can't recharge AAs in there with good reason (the controller would have a hard time telling a rechargeable from a standard alkaline - voltage difference would be the only thing to go on).

-Connect and play

-Use AA/AAA

I 100% agree with you on this. It is far better to replace batteries over the entire controller when those batteries stop holding a charge. I can't understand why anyone would argue to have non-replacable batteries in devices like controllers. You make an excellent point.

coffinbirth

Works with DS3 and DS4, don't have a Dualsense to test...buuut if there are already DualSenses with dead battery cells out there, holy shit that's a MAJOR FAIL and *should* be a feather in the cap of this thread if true, especially paired with the possibility it won't work wired with a dead cell.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's been my experience that the thumb sticks wear out long before the batteries.
This is a good point and I agree.
Thumb sticks could be easier to replace. Just pull up instead of taking the controller apart

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Of course. Electric cars enthusiasts are on the Elon Musk idiot drugs.
The Lithium and Cobalt are starting to be rare resources. getting more expensive, especially Cobalt.
They are recyclable but very expensive and difficlt
The car batteries loose charge and capacity over time faster than controller battries because of temperature changes.
In most countries, you need coal power to charge the electric vehicle...

Electric cars will be perfect when we get more green solar or wind energy and better tech than lithium ion. Now it's a waste of money
I knew going when we bought our Mach E that the batteries were quite expensive to mine but now both our homes are 100% solar powered and totally off the electrical grid and in fact we supply electricity back into the grids

Other than traveling back and forth between Indiana and Florida we use next to no gas and charge for free now

I do find it funny when my neighbors brag about their Teslas but are relying on the grid to charge them

Top Bottom