• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaceable batteries > Built in (Lithium Ion) batteries. If you think otherwise you're a fool.

Drizzlehell

Banned
If having the best of both worlds is possible then sure but I've not seen it in action.

Can't stand swapping out AA rechargeable AA batteries, putting them into a wall socket charger all the time and mine degraded after a year and cost a lot of money, I didn't want to keep buying rechargeable AA batteries each year when the PS3 controllers are still working from 2007

I've never had a problem with Sony's controllers going back to PS3, elegant simple plug it in and charge, play while you charge. When I stopped with the silly AA batteries on my Xbox controllers I bought the lithium charge pack at another large extra cost, the bulky add on is inferior to whatever Sony battery they use as these bulky addons no matter how large the mah drop charge like a stone.
There's a really simple way to keep the rechargeable batteries alive for a long time. Simply don't strain their limits in either direction, i.e. don't let them drain completely and don't keep them plugged to a charger once the charging is completed. If you'll charge them when they have around 10-20% of juice left and disconnect the charger as soon as charging is done, then the batteries will last you a lot longer and it applies to pretty much every device with rechargeable batteries.

soulbait

Built in all the way. Never understood why people would prefer double A. Like I've heard people say because if the battery goes back you can't replace (which isn't true), but that seems rare. Hell, I still have Dual shock 3 controllers that still work.

I prefer easily, swappable rechargeable batteries. That is how I have been doing it since 360 days.

I think MS should include the Play and Charge kit with every controller and console purchased, rather than the included AA batteries. However, I do like the option to use AA batteries when in a pinch.

soulbait

There's nothing wrong with internal lithium ion batteries. What should change is the ease of access to them. According to ifixit it's around a 20 minute process to unclip the bottom of the DualSense controller, replace the battery and reassemble. The cost of the battery is about $20ish dollars as well. Given that the batteries last for several years, and you can even buy higher capacity ones, I think that's a great solution. The only way this could be improved in my opinion is if manufacturers had a screwed-shut flap on the back that enabled easy access to just that compartment.

But let's play devil's advocate here. Let's say in this scenario controllers still use AA batteries. I invest the $35 into a four pack of eneloop AA's and a wall charger. Now I have to keep track of the batteries, have make a permanent spot on my wall for this damn charger to live that I use all the time, and then, in a few years, buy more fuckin batteries because EVEN THESE WEAR OUT! I'm just... making the original problem more complicated! All this versus just plugging in the controller into the same damn cord that I use for my phone and my steam deck and my "massage gun" and my laptop and all the other shit around that uses this charging interface.

TL;DR: $20 and 20 minutes of your time every couple years is not that big of a fuckin deal.

Or make the rechargeable batteries easier to replace and the batteries as official accessories.

I have been using the official Play and Charge kits for Xbox, since the 360 days. They last longer than rechargeable AAs, but still hot swappable when needed. Most of the time though, I just plug in my controller to my near by USB cable I charge my cell phone with and just keep playing when the battery dies.

Roxkis_ii

I don't mind internal batteries for controllers, but I also don't mind opening them up if I need to replace the battery.

I normally keep two controllers to spread the wear between the two, so I'll always have a charged controller when I need it.

With duelsence controllers though, the anglog will be done long before the battery.

I always though Xbox controllers had batteries so MS could up charge you on the recharge kits.

Sophist

I got the joke but what if you actually could easily replace a battery in your car and have backup batteries in your garage. Even ones that are just charging waiting to be swapped out. Then you won't even have to wait between charges if you really want to get a lot of miles.
NIO does that.

If you can't just buy battery in normal shop and need tools to disassembly device to replace that battery then it's not replaceable. No normal casual user will ever be able to do that. Even if this only takes 20 minutes including time spend on looking for screwdriver and making coffee.
Are you serious?? No normal casual user will ever be able to do that? Its just a basic simple screwdriver. I know 8 year olds that can use a screwdriver. Look its not like you need to change the battery every few weeks or something. Most PS controller batteries can last 2 to 3 years sometimes even longer. Its really such a non issue Im surprised people are trying to make this an issue.

hinch7

Guess I'm a 'fool'. Not going to waste time charging and replacing batteries in my controllers when I want to play a game.

Consoles wireless+chord (when low), and PC wired is good enough for me. Tried the AA (with Ikea/Amazon Eneloops) charging on Xbox One/Series controller and that got tedious after a while. Went back to wired and never looked back. Also not paying more for those rubbish quality play and charge kits. Which seems to only last a few months before dying.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Are you serious?? No normal casual user will ever be able to do that? Its just a basic simple screwdriver. I know 8 year olds that can use a screwdriver. Look its not like you need to change the battery every few weeks or something. Most PS controller batteries can last 2 to 3 years sometimes even longer. Its really such a non issue Im surprised people are trying to make this an issue.
In the console wars even the most simple things are an issue.

That doesn’t answer the question though.
Built-in, rechargeable batteries are easier to use. Less busy work.

Similar to the argument of digital vs physical. People are switching because it’s easier to just hit play as opposed to getting up and switching/inserting discs.
If replacing batteries is "busy work" than I don't mind busy work in the slightest.

Nothing to do with xbox.
I created thread like that last year and I don't like xbox :p But praise is well deserved where it should be
I love Sony and Microsoft (gaming wise). If Sony made a controller with replaceable batteries I'd get it and praise them for it. I'm a collector so it's very important to me that the controllers can last a long time before the batteries die. I imagine if they made it a chargeable battery that was easily accessible and they sold lithium ion replacement batteries that you can easily swap out. That would be the best of both worlds. I understand that you can just take out a few screws and replace the rechargeable battery, but it's not consumer friendly. How about just have a removable chargeable battery like old Android cell phones? Forget screws. Just make it so you can easily open it without screws. Maybe even get a larger capacity battery from a third party or something.

I don't understand why anyone would be against easily replaceable batteries, it's literally just a QoL feature so you can do -more- with your device, not less; a play and charge kit for a series controller gives you the exact same functionality as an internal battery, except you can also just hotswap different batteries in, in case you maybe forgot to charge it or whatever.
And when the battery eventually loses charge, replacing it takes two seconds, what sane person would hate this?

K2D

Banned
Click bait title. You're all cool by me.

I'm all about replaceable batteries, particularly those of the AA and AAA kind that are easily found and ubiquitous amongst devices. As well as the fact that you can use the chargeable versions.... and even rechargeable packs with these types of devices. They lengthen the lifespan of controllers.

What is the benefit of built in batteries? They have a life expectancy and I am now left with a bunch of controllers that don't charge and either need to be connected or don't even work.

Please enlighten me.
I've never replaced a controller or it's battery due to battery life. I do however have two controllers I can switch between.
I wouldn't mind the option, but neither will I pay a premium for such an option. Life is good.

I have changed batteries on a plethora of other devises such as laptops, tablets, wireless keyboards.

zomboden

Banned
My personal experience with this is I highly prefer the Xbox approach. When I first got my PS5 I noticed that while playing FF14 my controller would die after about 6? Hours I want to say. Maybe slightly more slightly less. It got to the point where I thought I was going to have to buy a second controller to swap out. Using it on a charging cord blows.

On my Xbox Series X even with just generic duracell AA batteries with rumble off I get like 40 hours of usage or more out of one pair. And no cords if they die I just pop 2 new ones in. A 48 pack of batteries lasts me like a year…

Last edited:

CuNi

"Three and a half years after the entry into force of the legislation, portable batteries in appliances must be designed so that consumers can easily remove and replace them themselves."

Thankfully, the EU is thinking ahead and working on a law to make this discussion moot by forcing Hardware producers to create all electronics with replaceable batteries.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love Sony and Microsoft (gaming wise). If Sony made a controller with replaceable batteries I'd get it and praise them for it. I'm a collector so it's very important to me that the controllers can last a long time before the batteries die. I imagine if they made it a chargeable battery that was easily accessible and they sold lithium ion replacement batteries that you can easily swap out. That would be the best of both worlds. I understand that you can just take out a few screws and replace the rechargeable battery, but it's not consumer friendly. How about just have a removable chargeable battery like old Android cell phones? Forget screws. Just make it so you can easily open it without screws. Maybe even get a larger capacity battery from a third party or something.
That wouldn’t work since they would stop selling that battery too.
The problem is not really replacing the battery. It’s sourcing a good one

Fabieter

Well I think its anyoing that Microsoft sells the charging kit extra to the controller. If you buy both its more expensive than a dualsense with less tech in it.

supernova8

Banned
That wasn't my experience in the heyday of replaceable batteries in Android phones. I was able to buy larger capacity batteries and my phones never really lost any performance. My last one was a Galaxy S3.
I remember having a massive battery for my Galaxy Note 4 from a manufacturer called "zero lemon" or something. It made the phone weigh a ton but it meant I had a 10,000mah battery and didn't need to charge for days at a time.

GenericUser

it doesn't really matter to me, it's just a minor inconvenience to either charge the controller (e.g. plugging in a USB cable) or replacing batteries. I'm ok with both ways.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
AAs of any kind are HOT GARBAGE.

It's 2023, if your device doesn't come with built in batteries, then you're just being stupid.
WOW, what an ASTONISHING take on this. Incredible.

My AA Eneloop Pro's run CIRCLES around any ACTUAL hot garbage from whatever built in battery device that you use bud.

Some of these other posts beside this one as well are just unbelievable to me, I see my gf's son's having to CONSTANTLY charge their PS4/PS5 controllers because of the controllers FUTILE ability to hold any significant amount of charge. Meanwhile I go through MULTIPLE gaming sessions before I have to consider doing the same thing on my series X controllers with Eneloop batteries.

The argument for built in batteries is MIND-BOGGLING. I don't understand it one bit.

Last edited:

killatopak

I’m playing like 2 feet away from a monitor and the console/PC.

A wire is a hand’s reach away. I prefer built in batteries in my case. Way more convenient.

Last edited:

GenericUser

My AA Eneloop Pro's run CIRCLES around any ACTUAL hot garbage from whatever built in battery device that you use bud.

Some of these other posts beside this one as well are just unbelievable to me, I see my gf's son's having to CONSTANTLY charge their PS4/PS5 controllers because of the controllers FUTILE ability to hold any significant amount of charge. Meanwhile I go through MULTIPLE gaming sessions before I have to consider doing the same thing on my series X controllers with Eneloop batteries.

The argument for built in batteries is MIND-BOGGLING. I don't understand it one bit.
Hey, I have the same in my xbox controller. I only need to recharge them once a month. Awesome product.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Hey, I have the same in my xbox controller. I only need to recharge them once a month. Awesome product.

Anyone that hasn't used these clearly don't have a clue. I still have AAA Sanyo Eneloops for a tactical flashlight, and have the Panasonic Eneloop Pro's for my Xbox Series X controllers (Sanyo sold the business to Panasonic). These batteries are CLEARLY on another level compared to whatever built-in garbage that gets put into controllers.

Utherellus

FO7q1QAWYAMBaLO

That's absolutely no brainer.

I use x2 2500mah Duracell setup. And keep other two pre-charged. I mean, 50 hours of charge. There exists no such controller other than Xbox's that you can achieve such longevity.

Warablo

Call me crazy, but changing batteries is less annoying than having to change controllers mid game and plug in the other one to charge. Replaceable batteries give the best of both worlds too if you want to plug it in after.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yep, that pissed me off somewhat. Along with the removal of the 3.5 mil jack. My phone was up for renewal this month, looking around it now seems they ditched Micro SD card support, so I didnt bother, that was the last straw. I just went sim only and shall now rely on old phones for as long as I can..
Weirdly, the cheaper phones often have both expandable storage and headphone sockets. Samsung are a brand who remove features for people paying more..

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Weirdly, the cheaper phones often have both expandable storage and headphone sockets. Samsung are a brand who remove features for people paying more..
Aye, which is who I was with, for years really. My lad was trying to get me to buy a Xiaomi phone.. I'll just stick with me S20 for now.

Getting rid of the 3.5 was a bitter pill, the Micro SD, too far for me.

I would go with a cheaper third party that has both but I've got this one, the battery is still good and it does the job..

I miss my S4 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

b0uncyfr0

I get both sides, really - I think it comes down to : if the battery lasts long enough.

The PS controller's are notoriously bad - if the batteries would last 2 (or 3x) longer, then id prefer to use them. But at their current discharge rate, i think id prefer popping in new batteries and not waiting for it to charge.

Raonak

Banned

What a horribly misguided take. Built in batteries literally shit in the mouth of AA garbage. Its unbelievable that people like you actually stan for AA garbage

Every single person (sane) in the world hates AA batteries because they are a waste of actual space and time. I see my nephews AA controllers. They hate it so much lol. They are always complaining about having to take their AA batteries out and charge them instead of just plugging in their controller to charge in one of the countless USB C ports they have all around the house.

I bought them a PS5 with modern built in batteries instead and they absolutely love it, they feel like they aren't stuck in the 90s anymore. I even helped them take their AA batteries to the recycling station to turn them into actually useful technology instead.

AAs are universally hated, and one of the reasons for xboxs lack of appeal.

Last edited:
Which controllers do you have that no longer work? I have old Dual Shock 3 controllers and original Move controllers that work. I can't think of any I have that do not.
Two PS3 controllers and one PS4 controller. Although I think my original six-axis PS3 controller was defective cuz it was dead within a year. Doesn't even work when plugged in. But then my second dual shock PS3 controller lasted a while, but now I have to use a third party one that's wired that I got. One day I'll attempts to repair them. I haven't played PS3 in a while so it hasn't been top of mind.

My original PS4 controller took about 4 years before it died. But I have two others that are fine. I think it's also because I have to charge them more times because these controllers only seem to have a few hours of charge. I'm not a fan of Nintendo using built-in batteries either but for some reason they all still work but I feel like I never even charge them. Very rarely anyways.

reinking

Gold Member
Two PS3 controllers and one PS4 controller. Although I think my original six-axis PS3 controller was defective cuz it was dead within a year. Doesn't even work when plugged in. But then my second dual shock PS3 controller lasted a while, but now I have to use a third party one that's wired that I got. One day I'll attempts to repair them. I haven't played PS3 in a while so it hasn't been top of mind.

My original PS4 controller took about 4 years before it died. But I have two others that are fine. I think it's also because I have to charge them more times because these controllers only seem to have a few hours of charge. I'm not a fan of Nintendo using built-in batteries either but for some reason they all still work but I feel like I never even charge them. Very rarely anyways.
That sucks. Either I have been lucky or you have been unlucky. I suppose replaceable batteries would reduce the luck factor when it comes to these batteries.

Hayabusa83

Banned
I swapped out my Dualsense batteries easily enough. Put some 2700mah bad boys in there and now I can go two to three play sessions without the bar fully draining.

The only place I agree with this is with the Game Boy/Color/Advance. People who do rechargeable battery mods are kinda stupid, a pair of Eneloops Pro both is much safer and lasts much longer than any internal li-ion rechargeable pack.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I worked at geek squad and a cellular phone retail stores for many years in a past life, and from my antidotal experience, the guy you are responding to is correct. The casual user would consider removing a screw dangerous and the idea would be unheard of. It's mindboggling.

The amount of people that brought me a device, they said was "frozen" or "broken", for me to take a look and find that there was a notification for the user to "press next to continue", would make you reconsider your faith in the human race. People don't have the time or brains to read two lines of instructions telling them to press a big blue button right in front of their face.

oji-san

Banned
They both have benefits and drawbacks, i don't use rechargeable batteries for anything then i had to buy a package with 4 batteries and charger for $20, no big deal, they are 2700mah so it takes about 15 hours to charge them, but then you get more the 20 hours of gameplay, with the DualSense it's like charging my phone, i'm charging it every other day, It hold about 10 hours of gameplay. None of them are optimal but both are good for me.

Top Bottom