• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaceable batteries > Built in (Lithium Ion) batteries. If you think otherwise you're a fool.

Kind of brings your own intelligence into question, doesn’t it?
It doesn't. The OP is clearly and obviously talking about replaceable batteries in relation to gaming, and using them with game controllers. I'm not sure how mobile phones (and someone else brought up automobiles) are relevant to the discussion.

If I'm not mistaken, most people change their cell phones every year or every two years. And on average, it takes about two years before one notices any degradation or decrease in battery life, on their phones. A console generation cycle usually lasts 5 to 7 years... Your controller batteries won't last that long, especially without degradation.

In fact, you can list and compare (on paper) the pros and cons of each, and normal replaceable batteries comes out with more pros, every time. Which pros/cons are more important to an individual, however, is entirely subjective.

I bought an Xbox 360 after the ROD debacle, and guess what, the controller still works to this day, minus some minor stick issues. One huge pro of controllers with replaceable batteries, is that you can also buy a li-ion, rechargeable battery pack. You don't have that option, stock, with in-built li-ion batteries.

But yes, I am the unintelligent one.

dcx4610

Agreed. I used to think it made the Xbox controller feel like a toy but it really just gives you options. If you get a Play & Charge Kit, guess what the battery is? Lithium. The only difference is it's removable. With Sony, when your battery starts to degrade, their answer? Buy a new $70 controller.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with internal lithium ion batteries. What should change is the ease of access to them. According to ifixit it's around a 20 minute process to unclip the bottom of the DualSense controller, replace the battery and reassemble. The cost of the battery is about $20ish dollars as well. Given that the batteries last for several years, and you can even buy higher capacity ones, I think that's a great solution. The only way this could be improved in my opinion is if manufacturers had a screwed-shut flap on the back that enabled easy access to just that compartment.

But let's play devil's advocate here. Let's say in this scenario controllers still use AA batteries. I invest the $35 into a four pack of eneloop AA's and a wall charger. Now I have to keep track of the batteries, have make a permanent spot on my wall for this damn charger to live that I use all the time, and then, in a few years, buy more fuckin batteries because EVEN THESE WEAR OUT! I'm just... making the original problem more complicated! All this versus just plugging in the controller into the same damn cord that I use for my phone and my steam deck and my "massage gun" and my laptop and all the other shit around that uses this charging interface.

TL;DR: $20 and 20 minutes of your time every couple years is not that big of a fuckin deal.
I'm going to tell you something that might absolutely shock you...

Xbox controllers allow you to quickly and very easily pop off the battery panel, to replace or insert any type of battery - from single-use AA, rechargeable AA, to Xbox's own li-ion rechargeable battery pack, to battery backs from many, many other manufacturers/providers.

And just like that, using the standard model of replaceable AA batteries, consumers now have myriad choices for the types of batteries they want to use on their controller, and the ease in choosing and installing one. Whaddayaknow

bitbydeath

It doesn't. The OP is clearly and obviously talking about replaceable batteries in relation to gaming, and using them with game controllers. I'm not sure how mobile phones (and someone else brought up automobiles) are relevant to the discussion.

If I'm not mistaken, most people change their cell phones every year or every two years. And on average, it takes about two years before one notices any degradation or decrease in battery life, on their phones. A console generation cycle usually lasts 5 to 7 years... Your controller batteries won't last that long, especially without degradation.

In fact, you can list and compare (on paper) the pros and cons of each, and normal replaceable batteries comes out with more pros, every time. Which pros/cons are more important to an individual, however, is entirely subjective.

I bought an Xbox 360 after the ROD debacle, and guess what, the controller still works to this day, minus some minor stick issues. One huge pro of controllers with replaceable batteries, is that you can also buy a li-ion, rechargeable battery pack. You don't have that option, stock, with in-built li-ion batteries.

But yes, I am the unintelligent one.
We’ve already gone through a generation of built-in batteries in controllers and it was well proven they can last the entire generation.

Not everyone replaces their mobiles every year, and you bringing it up doesn’t help your point as controllers are far cheaper.

reinking

Gold Member
They have a life expectancy and I am now left with a bunch of controllers that don't charge and either need to be connected or don't even work.

Please enlighten me.
Which controllers do you have that no longer work? I have old Dual Shock 3 controllers and original Move controllers that work. I can't think of any I have that do not.

Pimpbaa

I like a controller with a built in battery that lasts forever. Like the Switch Pro controller. Getting the li ion pack for Xbox controllers is great, but it’s added cost. The battery life in the PS5 controller is inexcusable. The benefit of built in batteries for is that I can just charge the controller with any usb charger and get a week of gameplay (with the Switch Pro controller). You can get the same thing with Xbox controllers but only with you buy the li ion pack (like I said, added cost). The downside is the PS5 and PS4 battery life, and there is nothing you can do about it except use some 3rd party external device or open up the controller and replace the battery with some extremely unofficial 3rd party lipo packs.

Comandr

I'm going to tell you something that might absolutely shock you...

Xbox controllers allow you to quickly and very easily pop off the battery panel, to replace or insert any type of battery - from single-use AA, rechargeable AA, to Xbox's own li-ion rechargeable battery pack, to battery backs from many, many other manufacturers/providers.

And just like that, using the standard model of replaceable AA batteries, consumers now have myriad choices for the types of batteries they want to use on their controller, and the ease in choosing and installing one. Whaddayaknow
One of us is confused. Did my post mention anything about Xbox? The argument is about internal versus external. So my post talks about how existing internal batteries don't need or deserve to be demonized. It doesn't matter how good the xbox controller's charging solution is for PS or Switch players.

Crayon

You know, I always said I prefer internal but didn't feel strongly about it either way. But I just realized I hate all battery management equally.

Phone. Every day. 4-5 wireless controllers. And two of them are dualsense so you need to charge them after a deep breath. Then one is a steam controller with that just brilliant lever-button battery ejector thing. Watch your cuticles on that one. A few more that have to be taken out of drawers and cycled lest the battery get fucked up. Plug in that laptop. Oops, hands free is dying. Don't I have a set of wireless cans? Oh over here. Ah, shit they're dead.

How do these earbuds work? I put them in the case to charge then I plug the case in to charge that? 1lb lipos for the rc cars? Oh well condition those even if you don't play with the shit for a year and store them in a fucking bomb safe or whatever. Remember which transmitter takes the ancient usb mini and which wants a trunkfull of aa's.

Picked up a few 2032's to play saturn last nite.

Drawer full of aa's and aaa's. My headlight takes a aaa. Oh but the three work lights need charging. 1 has the usb c and two have the micro's, don't forget! Hey better bring a power bank. You know, that battery you charge to charge all your other batteries. Thank goodness for these sweet eneloops. All I have to do is go dig the charger out of a rubbish drawer and unplug that other charger to make room for this guy. Now I can charge 4 of the 6 batteries I need.

I have had it with these motherfucking batteries on this motherfucking plane.

Esppiral

Built in batteries is the way to go, I've never a controller die on me because of its battery, and rechargeable ones are a pain in the ass + built in batteries more environment friendly.

TexMex

I am never thinking about what will happen to a controller in 10-15 years. I do not care. I buy a new one every couple of years because I like the feel of a new one better, there’s a pro model, color variant, whatever. Who wants to hold onto this shit for that long at this point?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Do you want replaceable batteries for your mobile phone as well? That’s even more expensive and dies faster because the usage is much higher than that of a controller.
Fuck my iPhone. There will be a new.
But in 20 years when I want to play my ps5, the controller will be dead. And wiring it up won’t help because wire is only for charging.
Try playing original ps3. It’s dead. Your controller will die. It’s not a question.
Replaceable batteries are Chinese crap.

There are no drawbacks to battery door. Not a single one.
You can use AA rechargables
Or play n charge kit which would behave like controller does now.

People who yearn for internal only are fools and that’s why we can’t have nice things. It’s waste and future dead controllers. And no. Nobody is opening controllers and plastic batteries to recycle them. While normal batteries have special bins and process. A 4 pack of rechargeable batteries with charger is 10$ at ikea. And you never wire controller siding

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
It’s definitely a plus to be able to easily put in some regular batteries, wouldn’t mind seeing that with all controllers. But rechargeable batteries should always be included in the box with the controller as well.

noise36

There is literally no upside to built in controller batteries.

An xbox controller with a play and charge kit can be used exactly like a PS5 controller or if you have a big stack of rechargeable you just swap and keep playing, never have to charge your controller.

I have all consoles, deal with these issues in real life, not just a theoretical thing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've never in my life had a controller stop working because it wouldn't charge.
Your controller will die. There is no doubt about it.
There are tons and tons of ps3 controllers that don’t charge at all anymore. In fact it might be hard to find a good one sometimes

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Controller built-in batteries are also very easily replaceable.
Oh yeah? How so?
Where are all the new Sony produced batteries for ps3 controller then? It’s all Chinese old stock crap that’s barely holding a charge.
Nobody is saying it’s hard to open a controller. It’s not about that.
But it’s still an annoyance. Wouldn’t hurt to have a door there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Be honest OP, you saw them talking about this today on Digital Foundry Direct right?

But to chime in, I like Sony's approach. Yes it sucks that years down the road when the system is 2 generations old that the batteries die and you can only use the controllers wired but worth it for the convenience while the system is still current.

What convenience?
That I have to whip out a wire and 3rd party charger every 6 hours?
I don’t often use ps5 front usb port. Exhaust I plug headphones dongle there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Built in batteries is the way to go, I've never a controller die on me because of its battery, and rechargeable ones are a pain in the ass + built in batteries more environment friendly.
Lol you are wrong.
Built batteries are a waste. Opposite of environmentally friendly. You don’t open it to recycle and you can’t throw them in batteries bins.
Controller and all your devices will die. No matter if you use them or not

Graciaus

Your controller will die. There is no doubt about it.
There are tons and tons of ps3 controllers that don’t charge at all anymore. In fact it might be hard to find a good one sometimes
My PS3 died before my controller could then.

ZoukGalaxy

Problem is not Li-ion vs replaceable, you're comparing different things.

The problem is that THINGS doesn't have battery easily user replaceable (=open a cover and that's it) and most of the time, they are Li-Ion.

It's a waste, for every living being on Earth.
trash dumping GIF

Also: people are fucking LAZY and SELFISH
*Boooo gimme my internal battery just because I don't care and I'm born tired and I don't give a shit about the world we live*

Also, it would be a piece of cake to use an Li-ion battery like in cameras, that you can change in a snap.

Otherwise, Xbox controller with 2x AA 2500 mAh Nimh is the way too go (so 5000 mAh), it's efficient and durable, and they last so looooong: have some ENELOOP since 10+ years, I can't believe it.

Incoming answers *AAA/AA batteries, what year it old man* bullshit as usual. Well, here my answer:

Halloween GIF
suck my dick middle finger GIF

Wake up, Lithium is not unlimited and electric cars is going to make things even worst. We'll reach soon or later a crisis about Lithium.

Last edited:
Why don't the controllers with rechargeable batteries have an easy way to remove and replace th... oh wait, that's right, because those bozos at Sony want you to spend 80 buckaroos to replace the entire fucking controller instead.

Silly me.
Bruh, this is one of the most pathetic arguments of console gaming. It's going to get to a point where people start arguing about which size screws they prefer on their console of choice.

Shocked Comedy GIF by Lilly Singh

spons

Gold Member
All is forgiven, just give me replaceable batteries for handheld devices. My 3DS survived because it's so easy to replace the battery, and Nintendo even sold them online. I hate to see my Switch die. So for me it's about longevity, same for controllers.

pasterpl

There's nothing wrong with internal lithium ion batteries. What should change is the ease of access to them. According to ifixit it's around a 20 minute process to unclip the bottom of the DualSense controller, replace the battery and reassemble. The cost of the battery is about $20ish dollars as well. Given that the batteries last for several years, and you can even buy higher capacity ones, I think that's a great solution. The only way this could be improved in my opinion is if manufacturers had a screwed-shut flap on the back that enabled easy access to just that compartment.

But let's play devil's advocate here. Let's say in this scenario controllers still use AA batteries. I invest the $35 into a four pack of eneloop AA's and a wall charger. Now I have to keep track of the batteries, have make a permanent spot on my wall for this damn charger to live that I use all the time, and then, in a few years, buy more fuckin batteries because EVEN THESE WEAR OUT! I'm just... making the original problem more complicated! All this versus just plugging in the controller into the same damn cord that I use for my phone and my steam deck and my "massage gun" and my laptop and all the other shit around that uses this charging interface.

TL;DR: $20 and 20 minutes of your time every couple years is not that big of a fuckin deal.
I got my batteries charger connected to my Xbox via usb

nkarafo

I don't get it. Why limit yourself to only built in rechargeable? Why not have more options?

I can use a replaceable/rechargeable Lithium battery, i can use AAs or even rechargeable AAs with my XBOX controller. First option is like having a built in, usability wise. Only difference is if it dies, you can easily replace it.

So why would you prefer to limit yourself with a built in battery that takes every other option away and it might take the whole controller with it when it dies?

odhiex

I usually have multiple controllers for every consoles that I own, and rechargeable controllers since the DS3. Switching between them are much more convenient for me.

Tams

Do you want replaceable batteries for your mobile phone as well? That’s even more expensive and dies faster because the usage is much higher than that of a controller.

Mate, are you stuck in the early 2000s?

They use the exact same chemistry. It's just proprietary ones are custom shaped to fit into devices.

Godot25

Banned
Tbh, I would not have a problem with internal batteries inside of Dualsense or other controllers if they did not have such a pitiful battery life. Like I really need to charge my controller every third play session? Get the fuck out of here.

If there was a situation like Elite 2, which gave me 30+ hours of battery life on one charge, I prefer internal battery. But in every other scenario, I like my AAA.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Double AA for a controller suits me. They always seem to last so much longer than Sony controllers but then the switch pro controller lasts forever so I'd be happy with that.

Same for the elite v2 controller, lasts forever ...

So basically, I have no issue with either but want Sony to fix their effing controllers...like every two mid length play sessions it needs charging. I just have a wire into a power plug next to me now and keep the ps5 controller plugged in. Shite work.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yes.
AdobeStock_357773863.jpeg

As someone who doesnt replace his phone often I was shook last time I bought a new phone to find out basically every phone these days doesnt have an easily replaceable battery.

Wasnt the EU fighting to have replaceable batteries be mandatory not too long ago?

I learnt when my 2nd ps3 controller died perminately that built in batteries are a joke and it's no hassle at all to buy a pack rechargeable AA's and use them for everything. My 8 have lasted stupid amount of years.

I made the mistake with the PS4 too, controller usb port died so it has to be charged using a docking station thing. Crock of shit design gets me angry.

anthony2690

Banned
Energizer Battery Charger for AA and AAA Batteries, Recharge Pro, (4x AA Rechargeable Batteries Included) https://amzn.eu/d/6SRUU2v

I use this, I've been using it for years, my batteries recently ran out of charges/would only last a day, so I purchased some new batteries for £12 & they last a couple weeks at a time currently :)

And my controller is pretty much forever good to go, as I charge one set up for an hour as soon as I switch (then turn the plug off after)

I feel like this thread pops up every few months and it always comes from some Xbox is better narrative.

Honestly in what world do people want to buy or change batteries all the time over simply charging. While the odd persons controller night die, the vast majority of people's controllers last the gen unless they've been mongoloids and thrown them around.

jm89

The biggest advantage of Xbox controller using AA battery is you aren't limited to what battery Microsoft give you.

AA battery capacity is improving all the time and you will get that improvement without relying on ms.

With Sony you are stuck with what Sony gives you, and Sony rarley improve battery capacity, I think they did once with the ds4 but it was miniscule.

At the very least Sony should make it easily removable.

Last edited:

Tams

2000’s is when replaceable batteries in phones were around.
Way to ignore my point.

And you're implying that I want standardised batteries in phones. Phones are too small slim for even AAAs. But there are many devices that do have the room for AAAs or even AAs (controllers especially), that really should have them.

Well, actually I do want replaceable batteries in phones. I accept that they often will need to be custom shapes and sizes, but that's better than them being glued in. Oh, and replaceable batteries were common well into the mid-2010s. My previous phone was a Note Edge and its replaceable battery extended its life to last six years (with good battery life as I just replaced the batteries). And even then, actually back in the 2000s, despite shitty propriety charging ports, phones then often did share the same batteries within manufacturers. I still have a Nokia 808 PureView that has its own battery, but it could also use other Nokia batteries.

Let's this be a warning to you about talking out of your arse.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I feel like this thread pops up every few months and it always comes from some Xbox is better narrative.

Honestly in what world do people want to buy or change batteries all the time over simply charging. While the odd persons controller night die, the vast majority of people's controllers last the gen unless they've been mongoloids and thrown them around.
You say narrative as if there's some false consensus reached. When a chargeable battery is one of the options available to a controller that gives you multiple options, a version of that where the battery isn't easily accessible is objectively inferior. There's no 2 ways about it.

It's strange that people are so against having a charger for batteries as if it's some massive inconvenience and that there are no other devices that might need batteries in a home. No spare plugs at all in your houses? Any rechargeables I've ever had have long outlasted the controller they go in, so a pack of 4 always means 2 ready to go.

Last edited:

Tams

The main point is that built-in batteries are a lot less sustainable and consumer friendly.

Custom ones that can be replaced quite easily are more sustainable than those that can't, but because they are custom rely on batteries being produce in that shape and size. Almost always they aren't, or if they are, they are only for the most popular devices and often of low quality.

Top Bottom