• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaceable batteries > Built in (Lithium Ion) batteries. If you think otherwise you're a fool.

Click bait title. You're all cool by me.

I'm all about replaceable batteries, particularly those of the AA and AAA kind that are easily found and ubiquitous amongst devices. As well as the fact that you can use the chargeable versions.... and even rechargeable packs with these types of devices. They lengthen the lifespan of controllers.

What is the benefit of built in batteries? They have a life expectancy and I am now left with a bunch of controllers that don't charge and either need to be connected or don't even work.

Please enlighten me.

Topher

Gold Member
Star Trek GIF

Do you want replaceable batteries for your mobile phone as well? That’s even more expensive and dies faster because the usage is much higher than that of a controller.
That wasn't my experience in the heyday of replaceable batteries in Android phones. I was able to buy larger capacity batteries and my phones never really lost any performance. My last one was a Galaxy S3.

bitbydeath

That wasn't my experience in the heyday of replaceable batteries in Android phones. I was able to buy larger capacity batteries and my phones never really lost any performance. My last one was a Galaxy S3.
That doesn’t answer the question though.
Built-in, rechargeable batteries are easier to use. Less busy work.

Similar to the argument of digital vs physical. People are switching because it’s easier to just hit play as opposed to getting up and switching/inserting discs.

Last edited:

Fbh

Honestly most of my console peripherals either die due to some other issue or become obsolete before the battery really turns into an issue

Do you want replaceable batteries for your mobile phone as well? That’s even more expensive and dies faster because the usage is much higher than that of a controller.

I'd 100% take slightly bulkier phones with plastic backs but easily replaceable batteries (like we used to have) over modern glass phones with built in batteries

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes? I wish you could buy decent phones with replaceable batteries. Days of being able to swap them out in seconds are gone, bit I would settle for just being able to replace it relatively easy when it starts to not hold charge.
Nowaways even if you can even get to the battery you have to use a blow torch to get the battery out.

I bought replaceable Lithium-ion plug and plays way back during the Xbone controller days that I simply moved to the Series X controllers. Didn't cost me anything new.
So, As you can see, it's possible to have both replaceable and lithium ion. It really has been a better battery experience. Older batteries that last longer than the new PS5 batteries.

Now if only Xbox could do something about that 1TB expansion card price.

Lasha

Built in all the way. Never understood why people would prefer double A. Like I've heard people say because if the battery goes back you can't replace (which isn't true), but that seems rare. Hell, I still have Dual shock 3 controllers that still work.

Rechargeable AA batteries carry more of a charge than built in batteries. Hot swapping is also great for when your controller dies mid session. A box of rechargeable AA can be used for any device. Battery packs for controllers need to be ordered and are only useful for one device.

LordOfChaos

Swapping batteries (and I did switch to rechargeable for it) on my Series S is much more annoying than just plugging in my controller on my PS5 whenever I'm done playing and it's always ready.

The play and charge kit is just another thing I have to buy to get around this and make it work as if it was internal. I guess end of life being able to replace it would be nice but you can do that with a bit more work either way, and the controller may be dying in other ways by then.

Three

The benefit is that you don't need to buy separate chargers and batteries and open flaps to replace them. You just plug it in/dock it and it charges. Its also more compact than replaceable AAs. If after so many years the built in battery doesn't perform well, replace the built in battery. Done.

Nobody is going to be throwing away an xbox Elite 2 Controller because it has a built in battery. You don't need to do it for your cheaper standard Dualsense that comes with a built in battery etheir. It's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Kilau

The Six Axis that came with my fatty ps3 still holds a charge lol. My 360 controller play and charge whatever never held a charge.

I buy the rechargeable batteries for my Xbox controllers, charging stations for the rest and never give it a second thought.

The Stig

It is nice to be able to just replace batteries when the controller runs out without being tethered, but it also feels somewhat wasteful using disposable batteries.
this. very much on the fence here. i dislike built in rechargeables because they get worse over time but when I think about how many AAs I've gone thorugh............... eesh. its hard to truly be on one side or the other (for me)

ACESHIGH

Banned
Never had any issue with rechargeable batteries on my Xbox controllers. I bought one set of replacement batteries on 9 years of gaming.

How are these batteries such a hassle? Do you need iron lungs to breathe or your food intake via serum? Are people that lazy these days?

I suppose internal batteries are not that bad of a deal but they don't last as much.

ryantetric

Neo Member
You just gotta come to terms eventually that, yes, you will have to buy a new controller, furthering the wasteful plastic dump we contribute to.

I'm surprised you thought this was an intelligent response.

An apples to oranges analogy.

You know what, I'm even more surprised people actually liked your comment.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Be honest OP, you saw them talking about this today on Digital Foundry Direct right?

But to chime in, I like Sony's approach. Yes it sucks that years down the road when the system is 2 generations old that the batteries die and you can only use the controllers wired but worth it for the convenience while the system is still current.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I like both. I use rechargable AA's for the Series pads on PC and also use those proprietary lithium 4 pack with the charger dock as well. The PS5 just charges like normal.

I use it all sun

HTK

Banned
Click bait title. You're all cool by me.

I'm all about replaceable batteries, particularly those of the AA and AAA kind that are easily found and ubiquitous amongst devices. As well as the fact that you can use the chargeable versions.... and even rechargeable packs with these types of devices. They lengthen the lifespan of controllers.

What is the benefit of built in batteries? They have a life expectancy and I am now left with a bunch of controllers that don't charge and either need to be connected or don't even work.

Please enlighten me.
I have never had a controller with a built in battery fail on me, sure the lifespan of a charge gets shorter over the years but not complete failure.

I also play wired quite a bit unless I’m playing a single player game. I always have 2 controllers as well so i rotate between them so the wear and tear is not as bad and I always have a fully charged controller.

What I cant stand is running out of AA batteries and having to go to the store and realize how expensive batteries are in general. I also don’t like recharge kits and all those cumbersome accessories and the hump on a controller, I rather play wired at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2D

Comandr

There's nothing wrong with internal lithium ion batteries. What should change is the ease of access to them. According to ifixit it's around a 20 minute process to unclip the bottom of the DualSense controller, replace the battery and reassemble. The cost of the battery is about $20ish dollars as well. Given that the batteries last for several years, and you can even buy higher capacity ones, I think that's a great solution. The only way this could be improved in my opinion is if manufacturers had a screwed-shut flap on the back that enabled easy access to just that compartment.

But let's play devil's advocate here. Let's say in this scenario controllers still use AA batteries. I invest the $35 into a four pack of eneloop AA's and a wall charger. Now I have to keep track of the batteries, have make a permanent spot on my wall for this damn charger to live that I use all the time, and then, in a few years, buy more fuckin batteries because EVEN THESE WEAR OUT! I'm just... making the original problem more complicated! All this versus just plugging in the controller into the same damn cord that I use for my phone and my steam deck and my "massage gun" and my laptop and all the other shit around that uses this charging interface.

TL;DR: $20 and 20 minutes of your time every couple years is not that big of a fuckin deal.

Top Bottom