• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
You watch TV on a 24" Set from your couch? You have friends over and all huddle around it? You have speakers that dwarf it connected to it?

If you live in an 8x8 dorm room I agree with you, but a bigger TV is definitely not useless if you have a living room.

I'm debating getting 7 Plus, a bigger screen seems nice in general but the biggest thing to me would be more room to read Kindle books. I currently have a 5S and use the Kindle app on my commute sometimes and it can't fit much text on the screen.

I used to not like phones with big screens for the same reasons others are mentioning, but now that I have a smart watch it'd be easy to just use that for texts and stuff when I'm out and about and then I'd have the big screen for at home, work, and on the bus. Nicer camera is a cool perk too.

He was being sarcastic (I think), in response to Jaxapollo.

It was shocking how much smoother the 6S+ was compared to the 6+, in my experience

I've had the 128gb 6+ since launch and it still runs like a dream. My only issue with it is the music app, which seems to leave me with a white screen if i'm in a poor reception area like it's trying to make a web connection to confirm licences... even though my music is all my own and stored on the phone.

Geekbench Scores Suggest iPhone 7 Outperforms Current 12.9-Inch iPad Pro

The device is identified as an "iPhone9,3", which may refer to a third model of iPhone 7, given that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus carry the hardware strings "iPhone8,1" and "iPhone8,2", respectively. And yet the RAM for the device is stated as 2GB, whereas previous rumors imply that the iPhone 7 Plus will get 3GB RAM, suggesting this is a 4.7-inch device.

The scores indicate significant performance gains owing to the A10 chip expected to feature in the iPhone 7. If the results are legitimate, a single-core score of 3379 and multi-core score of 5495 show that a 400MHz A10 processor easily beats the performance of the A9 in the iPhone 6s Plus, which scores 2490 and 4341, respectively.

On these results, the A10 also outperforms the 2.2GHz A9X chip powering the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which returns Geekbench scores of 3224 and 5466, respectively.

DOWN

Banned
Piano Black sounds cool and Sony-esque but strikes me as terrifying glossiness in terms of scratching

Future

6 plus wasn't that bad. Definitely some minor lag pulling up spotlight and doing some tasks, but for the most part my experience still pretty smooth. I'm posting from it right now and have been mostly happy. Nothing like the iPad 3 which felt worse than iPad 2 immediately

Worst thing was the 1 gig ram. Getting refreshes on apps when doing very basic multi tasking prevents me from using this thing as reliably as I'd like. That's why the 3 gig ram for 7 plus rumor sounds awesome. Hopefully it doesn't trail too far behind the normal 7 in performance. It shouldn't since the damn thing is more expensive.

I've had the 128gb 6+ since launch and it still runs like a dream. My only issue with it is the music app, which seems to leave me with a white screen if i'm in a poor reception area like it's trying to make a web connection to confirm licences... even though my music is all my own and stored on the phone.
That's just the app since it does it on my ipod touch as well and I don't evn have an Apple Music account.

Just posting to say that if you couldn't see the jank in the first 6 Plus, you have no business whatsoever determining what phones feel unresponsive versus which feel great.

And I say that as a self-proclaimed Apple fanboy who has gone from the original iPhone to the 3GS -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S -> 6 Plus -> my current 6S Plus and "side" SE. I intend to buy a 7 this week.

The 6+ was the iPad 3rd gen of their phones - just didn't have the power to back up the display, and made for the worst experience comparative to the competition Apple has ever had in the space.

Posting from 6 plus i have no idea wtf jank you are talking about.

fwpx

I don't believe the whole "omg the latest update broke my phone! They want me to upgrade!"

But holy crap the unbelievable JANK in the latest iOS on my 6S+ is insane. Unresponsive apps, phone reboots almost hourly, imessage not working. It's happening similarly on my wifes 6 as well. It's borderline unusable!

Kurdel

Banned
I don't believe the whole "omg the latest update broke my phone! They want me to upgrade!"

But holy crap the unbelievable JANK in the latest iOS on my 6S+ is insane. Unresponsive apps, phone reboots almost hourly, imessage not working. It's happening similarly on my wifes 6 as well. It's borderline unusable!

iOS 10 beta is running perfectly on my iPhone 6, maybe look into that?

reKon

Banned
I think that would mean that the iPhone 7 is more powerful than a MacBook Air and competitive with the lowest end MacBook Pro.

yes this is exactly what it means...

because geekbench is the one all encompassing benchmark to test relative performance in all categories...

Jeffrey

been a month or so since I sold my 6+, but the key jank issues for me where:

- pull down spotlight search from the homescreen stuttered like crazy.
- 3rd party keyboards like Swiftkey take a while to open, sometimes not at all (could just be an ios issue, but its less of a problem on my ipad pro).
- Apps typically reload when opening them from multitasking, rarely keeps stuff in memory.

Everything else was fine for me.

Restore through iTunes and start over

Vyer

Uh, none of that is normal. Not getting that on my fully updated phone.

been a month or so since I sold my 6+, but the key jank issues for me where:

- pull down spotlight search from the homescreen stuttered like crazy.
- 3rd party keyboards like Swiftkey take a while to open, sometimes not at all (could just be an ios issue, but its less of a problem on my ipad pro).
- Apps typically reload when opening them from multitasking, rarely keeps stuff in memory.

Everything else was fine for me.

Spotlight has always done that... That pause transition has been janky on every iphone. Except now went to use it no jank. Maybe my phone is special?

johnny956

That seems just like a buggy iOS for the 6S+ as my 5s still runs fine on the latest iOS

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can someone please tell me what Jank is? I mean I've had iOS betas that have been shitty unresponsive but the final versions (And even the current iOS 10 beta) have always been smooth as silk. I mean I am on a 5C, but that's like so much slower than even a 6.

Dany

Banned

Never had that happen with any of my phones.

There's more rumours about the airpods out there. They might be using their own bluetooth-like specification. Which is a good thing if they can improve on it. It will be a high end option which was obvious. No way they were going to include completely wireless earpods in the box.

That's about it. A bunch of trademarks as well hinting at some other thangs but nothing new.

fwpx

Uh, none of that is normal. Not getting that on my fully updated phone.

I know. I need to restore it, but part of me is just wondering what the point is, as we'll both be preordering the new 7. Just kind of an unfortunate happenstance.

Lexxism

That's weird. I never had any of those. Though the only thing I noticed was the delay of using touch id. It was pretty much instant on ios9 but there's a delay on ios10. Hopefully this will be sort out.

There's more rumours about the airpods out there. They might be using their own bluetooth-like specification. Which is a good thing if they can improve on it. It will be a high end option which was obvious. No way they were going to include completely wireless earpods in the box.

That's about it. A bunch of trademarks as well hinting at some other thangs but nothing new.

Yeah, just now read an article about how the AirPods will be the high-end option with Beats becoming the mid-tier, which is a weird flipping of the brands if true

I wish more there were more apps that took advantage of this power. More robust video editing apps on iOS would be amazing. Maybe iPad apps are better. Every iPhone video editing app I've used had felt very limited. It would be great to have a powerful NLE system wherever I go.
Yeah, as it is the power seems like a waste. I have a 5S now and I'm excited to upgrade but the performance of my current phone doesn't bother me. I'd rather have better battery on a phone instead of insane performance I'm likely never going to take advantage of.

Will the Plus perform better with having a bunch of apps open and stuff like that with the extra gif of RAM? Or does it need the RAM for the higher-res screen or dual cameras or something and performance will basically be identical with the regular 7?

Yeah, as it is the power seems like a waste. I have a 5S now and I'm excited to upgrade but the performance of my current phone doesn't bother me. I'd rather have better battery on a phone instead of insane performance I'm likely never going to take advantage of.

Will the Plus perform better with having a bunch of apps open and stuff like that with the extra gif of RAM? Or does it need the RAM for the higher-res screen or dual cameras or something and performance will basically be identical with the regular 7?

It's been said before, but more CPU power at the same power draw (or less, especially) actually does help with battery life.

Yes the Plus will perform better with normal tasks, but the rumors are that the extra gig of ram is for the processing of the dual-camera

After getting gold since the 5S, and now on the 6S+, I was going to get that rose gold 7+. And they are going to drop two shades of black on me now?

The struggle is lit.

Jeffrey

There was a time when Gameloft and Unreal put out graphical powerhouse games like infinity blade or asphalt 8, seems like there is no money there now though.

It's going to be interesting to see how much better the camera is in the 7+ over the already amazing 6S+, because otherwise seems like a better deal to get/keeping using a 6S.

Is the hassle of headphone dongles/bluetooth headphones, a higher price, worth it for better camera and a faster processor that you won't really notice in day to day usage?

Guess sales data will tell.

This is the 2 year mark for the huge amount of iphone 6 owners, so I can expect this year's model to do well.

DonShula

6 Plus still working well enough for me that these enhancements don't sound enticing enough to fork over all the cash. I might replace the battery in a couple months, but it looks like I'll wait it out for the 2017 model.

My wife has been carrying around her 6 for the past month with a shattered screen, so she'll replace hers and I'll see what I'm missing out on. But I can't see buying a 7 and then buying whatever grandiose thing Apple unveils next year.

And piano black? Did we not already do this with the iPhone 3? It was awful.

DonShula

I want to get a gold phone but I don't like the front of it being white.

The white front isn't bad. It shows fewer smudges than the black front. I accidentally got a silver iPhone last go-around(my mistake when ordering) and liked it so much better that I got an iPad Mini 4 in the same color.

There was a time when Gameloft and Unreal put out graphical powerhouse games like infinity blade or asphalt 8, seems like there is no money there now though.

It's going to be interesting to see how much better the camera is in the 7+ over the already amazing 6S+, because otherwise seems like a better deal to get/keeping using a 6S.

Is the hassle of headphone dongles/bluetooth headphones, a higher price, worth it for better camera and a faster processor that you won't really notice in day to day usage?

Guess sales data will tell.

This is the 2 year mark for the huge amount of iphone 6 owners, so I can expect this year's model to do well.

I still think there's going to be some gimmick to this new phone that we haven't heard about yet. I don't think a faster processor, a better camera and some level of waterproofing is enough to get people excited about the lack of a headphone jack.

The white front isn't bad. It shows fewer smudges than the black front. I accidentally got a silver iPhone last go-around(my mistake when ordering) and liked it so much better that I got an iPad Mini 4 in the same color.

It's not awful but I like the way the screen disappears into the black front. I don't think I'd every consider a white iPad, I think it would be too distracting for movies. I know it would probably be really gaudy but I think I'd like a black and gold phone.

Jeffrey

I still think there's going to be some gimmick to this new phone that we haven't heard about yet. I don't think a faster processor, a better camera and some level of waterproofing is enough to get people excited about the lack of a headphone jack.

True, probably on the software side. If capacitive home button is true, I can see it maybe having some gestures or something.

Maybe swipe left and right to switch between apps like on some chinese android phones?

Switching apps with 3d touch is horrendous unless I'm doing it wrong.

True, probably on the software side. If capacitive home button is true, I can see it maybe having some gestures or something.

Maybe swipe left and right to switch between apps like on some chinese android phones?

Switching apps with 3d touch is horrendous unless I'm doing it wrong.

It's not especially useful but it becomes a bit better if you make 3D touch more sensitive.

Jeffrey

It's not especially useful but it becomes a bit better if you make 3D touch more sensitive.

Still wish there was a better option to bring up the app switcher. I know the home button is way more durable than in the past, but I still hesitate everytime I double press it lol. iphone 3g, 4 and 5 all had unresponsive home buttons after a while.

capacitive would help definitely.

Still wish there was a better option to bring up the app switcher. I know the home button is way more durable than in the past, but I still hesitate everytime I double press it lol. iphone 3g, 4 and 5 all had unresponsive home buttons after a while.

capacitive would help definitely.

Isn't that what we're talking about? 3D touch the side of your phone to bring it up.

I'm assuming by default the 3d touch home button is going to need a pretty heavy press to activate to make it as close to the current home button as possible. The force touch trackpads always freak me out by how similar it feels to clicking down. This should be interesting.

I just hope glossy black doesn't look like plastic..

vvvvvvvv
I just posted those and deleted, since I don't think the phone will come in that blue. Makes me think they're fake. And yes, that black looks plastic

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Some new photos of the 7 have leaked.

Source:

http://www.techsignin.com/tintuc/anh-mat-sau-cua-iphone-7-camera-den-flash/

AgUMGkS.jpg

FfOJgLG.jpg

MrHpO76.jpg

nSiPqxP.jpg

Jeffrey

Isn't that what we're talking about? 3D touch the side of your phone to bring it up.

yeah. even with lower senstivities its still not a... idk natural motion?

I mostly use a 6S+ for testing stuff at work though, maybe you get used to it.

edit:

why does the black look so... nasty?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I'm glad you're not bothered by it and like your phone - no sarcasm. But then I wouldn't trust you to tell me how silky or how janky any other phone might be.

I can say with certainty - enough that I'd bet a paycheck on it - that if got two minutes with your phone I could call out four or five repeatable stutters or qualms when using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom