• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

I mean, the same form factor as the original, but bezel free. With a super HD display. No home button. No speaker. Totally futuristic monolith, all black front design.

200_s.gif
I think the monolith comparison is more apt for the 4 or 5 than the 1st gen iPhone, which was kind of bulbous and cheap looking 🙊

I hope T mobile has some kind of upgrade incentive. I am not on an upgrade plan but I own an 128GB 6s plus. I wonder if it is a better deal for me to sell outright and put cash toward a 7 plus or to trade mine in and start one of those payment plans.

I've been waiting on a significant iPhone camera improvement for a long time. Looking forward to a dual lens system.

LeleSocho

Banned
The anti-AMOLED stuff in this thread is bizarre. I have a S6 for about a year now and the display is the best thing about the device. The quad HD minute detail and AMOLED colors are glorious and bring a smile to my face every time I use it.

It blows the iPhone's display out of the water. No image retention issue whatsoever too.

There's no anti-OLED stuff anywhere, i'm the first one that wants OLED to be good because theoretically it's the only tech that rivals Plasma level of image quality, but this myth of them not having any problem and the fact that has been this way since years ago has gone way too far and it has to stop.
Heck, modern OLEDs are not even as reliable as Pioneer's Kuro, once they reach that maybe it can be said that the problems are mostly resolved.

reKon

Banned
A10 is probably going to kill everything which is nice and all, but the A9 is fast enough on the 6s and area that Apple is getting beat by other flagships from some OEMs is battery life now. They should be aiming and accomplishing what Sony did with Z3 series in terms of battery. It shouldn't only be the plus model getting all benefits. Phones lihe the Exynos version of the Galaxy S7 and Xiaomi Mi 5 see amazing battery life.

jax

Banned
I think the monolith comparison is more apt for the 4 or 5 than the 1st gen iPhone, which was kind of bulbous and cheap looking 🙊

I hope T mobile has some kind of upgrade incentive. I am not on an upgrade plan but I own an 128GB 6s plus. I wonder if it is a better deal for me to sell outright and put cash toward a 7 plus or to trade mine in and start one of those payment plans.

I've been waiting on a significant iPhone camera improvement for a long time. Looking forward to a dual lens system.
The size and form factor of the phone was perfect though. If it were that size, only thinner, and all black.. man.. the perfect phone.

Lo-Volt

Sounds like a pretty significant upgrade underneath the skin, but I'm still not quite resigned to the fact that they're going to phase out the 3.5 mm jack at the same time. :-/ (I'm holding onto my 6S as long as accessories for it are easy to find.)

icespide

Banned
How long until there is no lightning port?

In all seriousness, I want to see Apple invest in wireless charging. That and a beats dsp would be okay.
you jest but Apple would totally go with no ports or buttons at all if possible. every port has to fight for its reason to exist

platocplx

There's no anti-OLED stuff anywhere, i'm the first one that wants OLED to be good because theoretically it's the only tech that rivals Plasma level of image quality, but this myth of them not having any problem and the fact that has been this way since years ago has gone way too far and it has to stop.
Heck, modern OLEDs are not even as reliable as Pioneer's Kuro, once they reach that maybe it can be said that the problems are mostly resolved.
Ive sold samsung phones for nearly three years. They burn in like nobodies business. If you go into some stores and see their demos ton of em are burned in. I used to gey afarid of showing people phones and tablets at times with the burn in. Im not sure at what the rate is to make it do it but its def an issue.

Laekon

I feel the processor is the least useful feature of the upgrade. The speed of every good phone right now is to the point where it doesn't really matter for regular use. Maybe there are a few games it can make a difference but even that difference is probably not noticeable to the vast majority of people. I know a lot of people here like the benchmark dick measuring stats but I wish more time was put into battery life.

you jest but Apple would totally go with no ports or buttons at all if possible. every port has to fight for its reason to exist

There already no reason for the home button. Well besides giant bezels.

Jeffrey

It may not technically be Quick Charging but using a 2.1A charger will get a 6s plus from 0 to 100% in about two hours.

Yep being doing that when i had the 6+. I just love the QC ability to supercharge me 50% in 30min.

Anyone know of any good trade in deals for a 6+?

sold mine on ebay for $450 2 months ago. Probably still the best way to get money.

Jeffrey

The real question is whats the sell for people deciding between a 6S and a 7?

Seems like the plus is getting all the goodies worth anything this year.

6S is still stupidly fast and has the headphone jack.

Fletcher

I mean there is nothing wrong with the design of the 6/6s. It works great with that size screen. Where the design needs an overhaul is in the + size. Those bezels in that size are rough.

The only real problem I have with the removal of the headphone jack is that it means they are probably shooting for a thinner phone. Thinner phone usually = smaller battery. I want more battery above all else.

jts

...hate me...

Faster than stupidly fast, IPX7, surely better camera anyway, and I'm sure we will not know it all until presentation day. I'm guessing display tricks and other "gimmicks".

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
On this forum, if someone has a super minority position, why are they called trolls? That's absolutely ridiculous and totally suffocating to conversation. Every thread I go to, the mods continue to allow the destruction of my minority opinion on 3.5mm smh. It's so hard to have minority opinions here and I blame that squarely on the moderation who allows and encourages the stifling of controversial minority opinions. Most of the times I've been banned are because I defended my minority position but the ad hominem majority continues to get away with their nonsense. Terrible.

If Apple ships an 3.5mm adapter in the box, the implied message is that a 3.5mm headphone port is something every iPhone should have, which is contrary to the decision to remove the port from the device itself. If they’re eliminating the port, they’re saying most people should not need it. If most people shouldn’t need it, there’s no reason to ship the adapter with every iPhone. Including the adapter is absolutely stupid and I pray to the high heavens they don't do something so dumb. It'll set the transition back so much. Just pull it off like a bandaid.

Most of the sell for me is the fact that I've been paying for JUMP for the past year.

Honestly I think it's a stupid decision, but I'll take they're included headphones and improved specs.

Hoo-doo

Banned
On this forum, if someone has a super minority position, why are they called trolls? That's absolutely ridiculous and totally suffocating to conversation. Every thread I go to, the mods continue to allow the destruction of my minority opinion on 3.5mm smh. It's so hard to have minority opinions here and I blame that squarely on the moderation who allows and encourages the stifling of controversial minority opinions. Most of the times I've been banned are because I defended my minority position but the ad hominem majority continues to get away with their nonsense. Terrible.

If Apple ships an 3.5mm adapter in the box, the implied message is that a 3.5mm headphone port is something every iPhone should have, which is contrary to the decision to remove the port from the device itself. If they’re eliminating the port, they’re saying most people should not need it. If most people shouldn’t need it, there’s no reason to ship the adapter with every iPhone. Including the adapter is absolutely stupid and I pray to the high heavens they don't do something so dumb. It'll set the transition back so much. Just pull it off like a bandaid.

Let's be honest here. 3.5mm jacks are very widely used these days, they are completely ubiquitous. This is not like Apple is ditching a legacy port that no-one uses, this is them ditching the #1 audio connector that billions of people rely on every goddamn day.

Packing in an adapter is a fucking must. The end result is that more and more people start ditching 3.5mm in favor of lightning or bluetooth. That is what they want, a gradual transition. Not ripping off the band-aid for christ's sake.

Mortemis

Banned
Dark black? What kinda name is that? Whatever happened to that really nice blue, it'd be nice to have that and the piano black rather than two black colors.

Anyways these specs sound awesome, but I'm probably gonna pass on this, regardless of my hate for no headphone jack. Only if tmobile does something that makes it cheaper to actually get it or something.

Red

I don't know if that argument is cogent. Does having reachability imply that every iPhone should have no larger than a 4" display?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Let's be honest here. 3.5mm jacks are very widely used these days, they are completely ubiquitous. This is not like Apple is ditching a legacy port that no-one uses, this is them ditching the #1 audio connector that billions of people rely on every goddamn day.

Packing in an adapter is a fucking must. The end result is that more and more people start ditching 3.5mm in favor of lightning or bluetooth. That is what they want, a gradual transition. Not ripping off the band-aid for christ's sake.

No one wants a gradual transition and frankly, Apple doesn't do gradual transitions. You want to live in limbo for years while people hold onto their old tech? No thanks. It isn't a car transitioning to electric. We can pull the bandaid right off.

A fucking must? Come on. Apple does this stuff all the time. 30 pin to lightning. Floppies. CD drives. You'll whine but get over it eventually and the world becomes a better place.

Red

I don't care about the loss of a 3.5mm jack, but I care about it being replaced by a proprietary standard. I'd prefer it be succeeded by USB C or something else more likely to become the cross platform standard.

The size and form factor of the phone was perfect though. If it were that size, only thinner, and all black.. man.. the perfect phone.

Perfectly unusuable maybe. iOS 8 was cramped on 3.5" and iOS 9 outright hid options that couldn't fit and didn't make it obvious how to access them. with iOS 10 dropping the 4S it'll be the first version to not support that screen size at all with no sign in the beta that more breathing room is added to bring it back later. 4" is the new minimum and your pipe dream phone will have to take that into account :p

I feel the processor is the least useful feature of the upgrade. The speed of every good phone right now is to the point where it doesn't really matter for regular use. Maybe there are a few games it can make a difference but even that difference is probably not noticeable to the vast majority of people. I know a lot of people here like the benchmark dick measuring stats but I wish more time was put into battery life.

It's unintuitive but faster processors can actually lead to better battery life. The idea is that it'll finish the same tasks faster so it can race down to it's low power state faster. With recent die shrinks I doubt they made the processor physically any bigger for the extra speed so they at least didn't shrink the battery for it. And yeah, they probably could've kept the same performance on a smaller processor to fit a bigger battery but because it won't reach a low power state as fast it doesn't necessarily mean it's the optimal balance for total battery life.

Xenoflare

I hope the iPhone 6SE is real, you know, A10 in 6's body, like the old SE, but I doubt it since the SE was an appeal to the fans for the size of the 5. Sorry guys I'm hugging that 3.5mm to the death.

I am more interested in this chip's X variant, if there is one of course.

Copper

glad they added 32GB option. 16 was too small. Although I can't imagine someone needing 256GB.

As others have said, just improve the battery, thats all I really need.

Wubby

I held onto my 4S for an extra year to get off of the 'tock' cycle when I got my 6plus now they go and do this. Hah. If it wasn't for the low ram on my 6p I would consider doing it again. Cant wait to see what kind of shots those dual cameras will produce.

I'm debating getting a Plus, when it first came out I thought it was ridiculously big but now that I have a smartwatch and bluetooth headphones it seems more manageable. I don't need to try to one-hand a behemoth when I'm texting or listening to music while running around, and the bigger screen size might be nice when I'm in the office or at home or whatever.

On the other hand I also own an iPad and can just use that in those situations.

Kthulhu

No one wants a gradual transition and frankly, Apple doesn't do gradual transitions. You want to live in limbo for years while people hold onto their old tech? No thanks. It isn't a car transitioning to electric. We can pull the bandaid right off.

A fucking must? Come on. Apple does this stuff all the time. 30 pin to lightning. Floppies. CD drives. You'll whine but get over it eventually and the world becomes a better place.

Why would people not want to gradually transition from a standard everyone uses to a standard no one uses?

hitsugi

I wish there were a normal sized alternative to get the superior camera tech found in the plus models. I'd pay the difference; I just don't want a huge phone.

samn

I don't know if that argument is cogent. Does having reachability imply that every iPhone should have no larger than a 4" display?

People can't go out and buy bigger hands, but they can buy Bluetooth earphones.

Al-ibn Kermit

People can't go out and buy bigger hands, but they can buy Bluetooth earphones.

They don't need to buy bigger hands when the average person prefers a "big" phone. I don't mind using Bluetooth in a car at all but I would never want to have to remember to charge wireless headphones, and I assume most people are the same way.

I'm not massively affected by this change since I mostly listen to my phone in the car but it is a stupid decision to make. I'd much prefer they dropped the lightning port for usb-c at least if they're going to do this.

Sami+

The headphone thing is still such bullshit. I have $400 Master & Dynamic OEMs I use all the time and not having a compatible port would be really frustrating. I don't want to buy an inferior pair of headphones just because of Apple's pointless change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom