• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax

Banned
Perfectly unusuable maybe. iOS 8 was cramped on 3.5" and iOS 9 outright hid options that couldn't fit and didn't make it obvious how to access them. with iOS 10 dropping the 4S it'll be the first version to not support that screen size at all with no sign in the beta that more breathing room is added to bring it back later. 4" is the new minimum and your pipe dream phone will have to take that into account :p .

I said the same size of the original iPhone, only bezel free. So the screen size would he at least 4 inch.

Kthulhu

Are people angry because once Apple removes the headphone jack the rest of the industry will follow?

Some are, I don't personally see it happening. I think a sizeable amount of people will not upgrade or buy an Android phone instead and Apple will back pedal similar to how Samsung brought back water resistance and micro SD support, or how Apple made a phablet despite saying they never would.

Apple will show you on the 7th why it's the right step.

I'll gladly eat crow if they do. Until then, I'm going to assume this is another stupid design choice like the magic mouse 2, Apple pencil, and Apple battery case.

Sami+

Apple will show you on the 7th why it's the right step.

I really could have sword the 6s I'm typing on right now already has a lightning port that my car radio uses. Completely killing the option to listen to music while charging isn't progress, it's dumb.

KevinG

Have they implemented any sort of stronger, scratch-resistant glass, to the phones since the 6? I didn't pay much attention for the 6S.

I always end up with tiny thin scratched on my phone, no matter how careful I am with it.

Red

I said the same size of the original iPhone, only bezel free. So the screen size would he at least 4 inch.
If it kept the same form factor as the original iPhone, you could not get a 4" 16:9 screen without bezels.

It was a 4.5"x2.4" device. To keep the same width and create a 16:9 display without bezels you'd have to trim a half inch off the height. Else you keep the same height and make it 0.6" wider.

KingV

No one wants a gradual transition and frankly, Apple doesn't do gradual transitions. You want to live in limbo for years while people hold onto their old tech? No thanks. It isn't a car transitioning to electric. We can pull the bandaid right off.

A fucking must? Come on. Apple does this stuff all the time. 30 pin to lightning. Floppies. CD drives. You'll whine but get over it eventually and the world becomes a better place.

CD drives and floppies were on their way out when Apple eliminated them. 3.5mm is not.

30 pin to lightning was annoying, but Apple cables suck so damn bad, that you're buying one every 6 months anyway.

SlickVic

Agreeing with a leaked spec sheet from a few days ago, KGI says that Apple will include Lighting EarPods and a Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7.

I forsee this adapter becoming one of the most lost accessories of all time. 'Must have left it in my other pair of pants'. 'Must have slipped out of my pocket on the train'. 'Actually I don't have a clue where I left it'. Guess you can always stick to the lightning earpods then.

realwords

I have an iPhone 6+ that suffers from intermittient "touch disease" and a rapidly draining battery. Don't mind dishing out the $80 to get the battery replaced.

I wonder if the iPhone 7+ will be worth the extra cash if I sell this 64GB phone I have. The thing is, why isn't there a 64GB version of the 7+ apparently? Price hike might have me just waiting for the 10th anniversary edition.

How does the Apple iPhone Upgrade program work? I want to get on that but not sure how that works with preorders and my current contract, etc. Might just have to go in to the store.

I have an iPhone 6+ that suffers from intermittient "touch disease" and a rapidly draining battery. Don't mind dishing out the $80 to get the battery replaced.

I wonder if the iPhone 7+ will be worth the extra cash if I sell this 64GB phone I have. The thing is, why isn't there a 64GB version of the 7+ apparently? Price hike might have me just waiting for the 10th anniversary edition.
Probably because they rightfully assumed that nobody was going to pay $100 to go from 32GB to 64GB. If they had four storage options and it was $100 for 64GB or $150 for 128GB I suspect most people would simply go for the 128GB which could kind of prove the 64GB to be pointless.

giga

CD drives and floppies were on their way out when Apple eliminated them. 3.5mm is not.

30 pin to lightning was annoying, but Apple cables suck so damn bad, that you're buying one every 6 months anyway.
Eh. I'd disagree. The MBA was criticized heavily for not being able to play DVDs.

Red

I wonder if Apple will really increase the price due to new storage options. Or if they will heed the projections of analysts that demand may be lower due to fewer breakthrough features and leave price points the same to make the storage improvements appear more valuable.

Jeffrey

If apple can convince me on the 7th why I need to burn all my outdated headphones, I'll sell my axon 7 I just bought a few weeks ago and get a iphone 7.

I've still never had stellar experience with bluetooth headphones. Not sure if its my gym shorts, or lawn equipment or something, but I've always gotten random moments of heavy stuttering.

jax

Banned
If it kept the same form factor as the original iPhone, you could not get a 4" 16:9 screen without bezels.

It was a 4.5"x2.4" device. To keep the same width and create a 16:9 display without bezels you'd have to trim a half inch off the height. Else you keep the same height and make it 0.6" wider.

Excuse the rush job, but you're wrong. This is about 4.1 inches, on the exact form factor of the original, with no bezels. The perfect iPhone. I hope this is the route they go for the 10th anniversary. Only with the iPhone 7 2.4 GhZ chip <3 (Note: But probably with no speaker, or a speaker in the bezel, or a curved screen or something. I just think the OG iPhone was the perfect size.)

KdtUj85.png

(Around 4.5 btw)

Red

You've got gross lumps on all sides of your mock up, effectively acting as bezels. It would be a shame to lose the curved, edgeless glass of the 6.

No one wants a gradual transition and frankly, Apple doesn't do gradual transitions. You want to live in limbo for years while people hold onto their old tech? No thanks. It isn't a car transitioning to electric. We can pull the bandaid right off.

A fucking must? Come on. Apple does this stuff all the time. 30 pin to lightning. Floppies. CD drives. You'll whine but get over it eventually and the world becomes a better place.

What benefits to you envision wireless offering other than just being, well, wireless?

Apple does indeed do gradual. Checkout their wired and wireless mice and keyboards being sold right next to each other.

The way you position your opinion just makes you seem like a blatant asshole. You come into these threads, stir the pot, then retreat back to the Android thread where your audience applauds you.

Your opinion is fine but your tact is just completely off.

jax

Banned
You've got gross lumps on all sides of your mock up, effectively acting as bezels. It would be a shame to lose the curved, edgeless glass of the 6.
Read my post. I said it was a rush job. Preferably the new phone has a curved glass screen.

Maximus.

Have they implemented any sort of stronger, scratch-resistant glass, to the phones since the 6? I didn't pay much attention for the 6S.

I always end up with tiny thin scratched on my phone, no matter how careful I am with it.

That isn't the glass, rather the coating on the glass to make it anti-reflective and anti-greasy. That coating can produce those scratches that you can only see when the screen is off at the right angles.

Excuse the rush job, but you're wrong. This is about 4.1 inches, on the exact form factor of the original, with no bezels. The perfect iPhone. I hope this is the route they go for the 10th anniversary. Only with the iPhone 7 2.4 GhZ chip <3 (Note: But probably with no speaker, or a speaker in the bezel, or a curved screen or something. I just think the OG iPhone was the perfect size.)

KdtUj85.png

FWIW there is some merit to this.
You can easily fit the 4 inch screen with room to spare and without changing aspect ratio.

The Sharp Aquos Crystal is there to show the feasibility of minimal bezels.

This is also never going to ever happen.

jax

Banned

FWIW there is some merit to this.
You can easily fit the 4 inch screen with room to spare and without changing aspect ratio.

The Sharp Aquos Crystal is there to show the feasibility of minimal bezels.

This is also never going to ever happen.
I think it might. It would provide an excellent sweet spot between the SE and 6 screen wise, while still remaining comfortable to use.

h0ypfxqt1hlnhlwhqi9p.jpg

There have also been many rumors Apple is ditching the home button in favor of a Fancy 3D Touch faux home button instead. All they would need to do is somehow shove the camera and phone speaker into the top mini-bezel of the phone somehow. That or have it embedded in the top of the screen, like that one sharp screen that can be any shape.

DSCF7193.0.jpg

The iPhone AE (Anniversary Edition) is going to be released for the 10th anniversary right? That means June. Which is at the end of the SE refresh
cycle. Believe.

On this forum, if someone has a super minority position, why are they called trolls? That's absolutely ridiculous and totally suffocating to conversation. Every thread I go to, the mods continue to allow the destruction of my minority opinion on 3.5mm smh. It's so hard to have minority opinions here and I blame that squarely on the moderation who allows and encourages the stifling of controversial minority opinions. Most of the times I've been banned are because I defended my minority position but the ad hominem majority continues to get away with their nonsense. Terrible.

If Apple ships an 3.5mm adapter in the box, the implied message is that a 3.5mm headphone port is something every iPhone should have, which is contrary to the decision to remove the port from the device itself. If they’re eliminating the port, they’re saying most people should not need it. If most people shouldn’t need it, there’s no reason to ship the adapter with every iPhone. Including the adapter is absolutely stupid and I pray to the high heavens they don't do something so dumb. It'll set the transition back so much. Just pull it off like a bandaid.
Yeah, rip off a standard technology used by billions like a Band-Aid. That's how transitions work, especially with technology.

Totally.

Should I trade in my iPhone 6S+ 64 gb and lose the $330 (before tax) I spent on it so far for the iPhone 7? It will be a new lease, so I will have to pay another $750.

This is T-Mobile Jump on Demand.

If I continue to pay and keep the iPhone 6S+, then I will pay $394 more.

I guess this will depend if T-Mobile offer credits for 7+.

... from the 1990s

Other than waiting several hours to install the blowjob firmware update with the built-in 56k modem, a 1990s sex robot wouldn't be such a terrible thing.

What thread is this again?

I'm still not understanding why they don't have the same internals in both size phones.

Plus size is pushing more pixels and needs more power to do it would be my guess.

Also, the updated camera probably requires some extra oomph.

jax

Banned
The 4.5 inch mockup I posted would also be great for split screen multitasking. Come on, Apple! You can do it!
or just do it with the 7 and be done with it

Should I trade in my iPhone 6S+ 64 gb and lose the $330 (before tax) I spent on it so far for the iPhone 7? It will be a new lease, so I will have to pay another $750.

This is T-Mobile Jump on Demand.
No. This is basically a 6S S device. Wait for the 7S+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom