• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Candy & Chocolate & Cookies |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Japanese-Toilet-Candy-2.jpg

Pictured above: Japanese Toilet Candy

The purpose of this thread is to discuss and share our tastings of Japanese candy et al.

Please share your favorite Japanese confectionaries, and educate us on ones you didn't care for as much.

(BTW, if anyone is interested in a new national or international NeoGAF Candy Swap, maybe we can make that happen.)

Below are some recent purchases from a local supermarket in the US.

--

Look Royal Chocolate with Green Tea Filling.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this one. I can only parse out drips and drabs of the Japanese. It appears to be chocolate with a green tea foamy geleé-type filling.

--

meiji Black Chocolate

Per the source at the wiki link above, meiji is the 5th largest confectionary producer in the world. They make Yan Yan and Hello Panda, which are probably two of the most internationally known Japanese candies. Here's their American website.

--

I first read about the langue de chat, or "cat's tongue" cookie in a posting over at Kathy YL Chan's website. I've wanted to try them since but eBay prices are fairly high. I came across these at the market and am eager to eat one. (Here's the website for the product Kathy linked. She also linked to a recipe for a homemade variety here.)

Linked here is a Wikipedia article about these cookies. Also, this is a LeTAO langue de chat that looks very different than those I've seen elsewhere online. And, here's a website for Shiroi Koibito, I think these are considered some of the best langue de chat.

--

Muscat Grape gummies.

What makes Muscat grapes unique?

Despite the vast diversity in the Muscat family, one common trait that can be seen in most all Muscat members is the characteristic floral, "grapey" aroma note that is caused by the high concentration of monoterpenes in the grapes.

--

Ramune-flavored gummies.

(Ramune is an interesting soda with a light flavor. Via the Wiki link above:

Ramune is widely known for the distinctive design of its bottle, often called Codd-neck bottles after the inventor, Hiram Codd. They are made of glass and sealed with a marble; the codd head is held in place by the pressure of the carbonation in the drink. To open the bottle, a device to push the marble inward is provided. The marble is pushed inside the neck of the bottle where it rattles around while drinking. Therefore, the drinks are sometimes called "marble soda" outside Japan.[3] While the Codd-neck bottle was once commonly used for carbonated drinks, today Ramune is one of its very few users.

--

Finally, some green tea kit kats were on sale and the matcha flavor of these is well-balanced with the traditional kit kat wafers Here's an article about how notably different versions of this flavor exist.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm traveling to Japan in December so I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks!

Also, I'd love a new intl candy swap. If it happens after December I'll make sure to buy some candy while I'm there for that purpose.

octopiggy

By chance I just posted this in the Japan Travel thread but this might be a better place.
Can you still get these Macadamia Carameliser in Japan or were they limited edition?

More importantly, any UK gaffers willing to pick some up for me? My girlfriend would be so happy. I can't seem to find any on any Japanese snack websites.

I love getting those japanese snack crates. So much... soda flavored candy...
DIY candies are pretty mediocre tasting from what I've experienced.

I'd also be interested in a candy swap if we can get one going.

bluethree

Oh man seeing that gumi package takes me back. I live in Japan and haven't had them recently, but back in the States I would always stock up on them at the local Japanese market.

Finally, some green tea kit kats were on sale and the matcha flavor of these is well-balanced with the traditional kit kat wafers There's a rumor that two notably different versions of this flavor exist.

Hm... How is it a rumour when they've confirmed that it's true? :p

*waits for somebody to mention Dagashi Kashi*

hiro4

Just came back from Japan with a suitcase full of food/candy and other stuff. It's never enough but still.

I love gummi like Kororo or 100%Kajyu Gummi but my goto is definitely Hi-chew or Pucho. Pucho Soda or Ramune is the best.

But we shouldn't forget Dagashi. Small candy you can buy for small change like 10 yen gets you an Umaibou.

Dagashi at a Super

Also tasty are the senbei, like magari senbei. And if you like to drink and eat there is enough snacks there too. Sakiika for example. Dried squid that makes you want more.

jbug617

Banned
I loved the Fanta Hi Chew when it was available.
6892919116_c3d5cc0d54_m_d.jpg

I subscribed to Japan Crate so I can try new stuff each month

Ooh, good thread. I subscribe to Oyatsubox once monthly and would highly recommend it.

Here are some goodies I recently picked up on holiday in Japan, including some Sakura Cherry Blossom and Green Tea Kit Kat's!

w6ExdF4.jpg

Impotaku

Too many snacks to mention Japan is a treasure trove of edibles. I have a love of dagashi, cheap yet mysterious and 9 times out of 10 they are really tasty too, every so often i just go crazy & buy a shit load of them from Amazon Japan & use tenso to forward them.

Umaibo are god tier snacks, super cheap & in a crazy amount of flavours they are so addictive. Yeah this was the time i bought a set of 300 from Amazon Japan lol, even that natto flavoured ones were not too bad. The only ones that were a bit weird were the brown sugar flavoured ones. Mentaiko, takoyaki & pizza are some of the best flavours although the corn potage is really good too.
QXXM5Y8.jpg

The green box is full of watapachi a really cool cotton candy that has sour popping candy in it & is melon flavoured but the grape one is pretty good as well. Ther rest of them were weird DIY sweets, mainly the ever tasty neruneruneru ne & some shin chan weird drinks. Also the box down at the front is sachets of melon soda powder you just add them to water for a fizzy melon soda hit.
Qoc7M15.jpg

This was the latest pile of snacks i got, bought a whole box of dodotto tsubupyon kits as i love making those little jelly beads. The red packets are like a super cheap dagashi that tastes a bit like dried eel they are called Kabayaki-san tarou they are a bit like jerky with a slightly spicy seafood flavour. The yellow packs are ama ika tarou kimchi flavour, they are so addictive. Little floppy sheets of dried squid with a spicy kimchi sauce coating them. God i need to order more of them at some point.
bI8Nhik.jpg

kiri

Now this is an OT I can get behind!

Delicious vanilla chocolate and salt covered crisps
jkG5wNu.jpg

Sliced, baked French bread pieces that taste like Cheese Roast Chicken Subway sandwiches
JPuxKaf.jpg

Raspberry flavoured KitKat
laexdhU.jpg

GOAT Ice Lolly - The Big Suica bar; watermelon flavoured and covered in chocolate
5C2dglr.jpg

PuyoPuyo Gummies
dn5j6TS.jpg

PuyoPuyo X Tetris Gummies
GTsWMBM.jpg

Meiji Black is the shit. Probably my favourite chocolate bar anywhere. When I go back to North America I don't think I'm going to be able to handle all the sugar in Western chocolate. PRO TIP: freeze it before eating. It becomes next level.

ALSO:

Calbee Kata Age are THE BEST POTATO CHIPS ON EARTH

package.png

I am super addicted to these, they're like Ms. Vickie's but +15% good. "Kamu hodo umai" - the package does not lie. I've literally been eating them almost every day for a year and I can't stop.. If Japan ever discovers salt & vinegar I'm done.

And shout out to soda Puccho.

41ySylMHogL.jpg

It's dethroned Hi Chew as my favourite candy.

maxcriden

New Champagne Pocky available in Japan

pocky-1.png

Glico, the Japanese confectionery company who brought us world-famous Pocky chocolate sticks, has just announced it will be seeing in the New Year period like many of us will be – with the addition of some bubbly champers. Their new champagne range, which extends to three of their most popular chocolate-based sweets, is the result of a carefully crafted collaboration with Hironobu Tsujiguchi, one of Japan’s leading pastry chefs, who’s well-known around the country for his multi-award winning pastries and chocolates.

With each of the items in the collection containing approximately 0.1 percent alcohol, customers are advised not to eat-and-drive, given that the country abides by a strict zero-percent alcohol policy on the roads. Available for a limited time, the new range will be on sale at stores and supermarkets around the country from 3 January.

More at the link:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/12/27/new-champagne-pocky-available-in-japan/

I bought back so many different Kit-Kat snacks for people on my last Japan trip (big travel packages from the air port). I'm not a huge fan (of Kit-Kats), but I LOVE gummy candies. It was fun hitting up random 7-11's and Family Marts to see what they had on hand.

Cmagus

Ooh, good thread. I subscribe to Oyatsubox once monthly and would highly recommend it.

Here are some goodies I recently picked up on holiday in Japan, including some Sakura Cherry Blossom and Green Tea Kit Kat's!

w6ExdF4.jpg

Those Fran sticks are pretty good, I'm curious though how are the strawberry ones, the ones I had were chocolate. they taste so buttery but taste oddly satisfying.

I can also vouche for Japan Crate I've been a member off and on for awhile it's a good service which some interesting crates. I kind of wish it was cheaper though for people outside the US.

Poppy

All Raisin biscuits are seriously one of the greatest things i have ever had in my life, they are like crack. I fear if i ever order a lot i'm just done for. That one package I bought in Kyoto is gonna have to be a warning for life

maxcriden

I bought back so many different Kit-Kat snacks for people on my last Japan trip (big travel packages from the air port). I'm not a huge fan (of Kit-Kats), but I LOVE gummy candies. It was fun hitting up random 7-11's and Family Marts to see what they had on hand.

Thanks for sharing!
Do you remember which gummies you liked the best? Did they have interesting flavors or was it more about unique or fun shapes? (or textures?)

Thanks for sharing!
Do you remember which gummies you liked the best? Did they have interesting flavors or was it more about unique or fun shapes? (or textures?)

I would recommend Pure gummies. They're a bit of an upmarket gummi I think, but they nail the flavours.

Like these ones:

KANRO-Pure-GUMMY-Sour-Juicy-Gummi-Candy-include-_1.jpg

I forgot this thread existed. I need to start posting more of the goodies that I get every month.

Meltykiss are amazing. Got some limited edition ones in the Christmas Oyatsubox. Delicious!

The thing I like about Japanese candies and actually even Crisps (chips in America-speak) is that they very often completely nail flavours - and often flavours that you don't find in the UK. A few weeks ago for example, I had 'Carbonara' flavour chips and they tasted exactly like Spaghetti Carbonara.

I had the matcha Kit Kats, way too sweet for matcha, and I have a wicked sweet tooth. The matcha frosting on the Pocky version is better if I recall correctly, but I've been off wheat for a few years now.

Morinaga caramels are my biggest weakness. The matcha one is amazing. My favorite of all time has to be the kokutou (kuro ame/brown sugar) caramel, which I think they don't make anymore.
If they do, someone mail me a gigantic box please.
I have not had a bad piece of caramel from them ever, and I'm always up for trying crazy flavors like tomato or flower.

If you like chewing gum and gummies, Japan (and other Asiatic countries) often has a wide array of simply delicious flavors. Things like Hi-Chew and the Kasugai gummies are easily available in Walmart/World Market where I live (Arizona), but I usually have to special order the gum as even the Lee Lee's doesn't carry it and it isn't really a featured product in snack box subscriptions. They usually only have crappy promotional gum or things that are way too ubiquitous, like Black Black. I can get that on Amazon with Prime delivery now. Not excited to see it in a box that I paid a ridiculous premium for.

Shoutout to my most recent amazing "discovery", Milkita Milkshake chewy candy in any flavor is too good. Also, those Ramune flavored Kasugai gummies in the OP are so good. I haven't had any in years. I'm not sure if they only make them sometimes or if it is a supply issue. Ramune flavored anything tends to be really good.

Also nods to Trader Joe's for carrying crazy stuff like the Mikawaya Mochi Ice Cream Balls, I usually have a pack of the matcha ones in the freezer, even in winter.

Pretty sure Hi-Chew and Mikawaya have factories in the US, so that makes getting certain things way too easy.

One more thing: Chip Star > Pringles.

maxcriden

I would recommend Pure gummies. They're a bit of an upmarket gummi I think, but they nail the flavours.

Like these ones:

KANRO-Pure-GUMMY-Sour-Juicy-Gummi-Candy-include-_1.jpg

I forgot this thread existed. I need to start posting more of the goodies that I get every month.

Those look great. Thank you! Any place to buy online?

maxcriden

I've been looking for these for a while at my local asian markets and I found them recently:

They're being sold as "Puchao" in western markets

I agree, they are way better than hi-chew

less sweet and I like the flavor bits inside

For some reason I want to read this as

tumblr_le71lluO6V1qfikaeo1_400.gif

Chille

My main issue is I would love to order this stuff online but as I have a nut allergy and I don't read japanese makes me worry before I order anything lol

My main issue is I would love to order this stuff online but as I have a nut allergy and I don't read japanese makes me worry before I order anything lol

Asian Food Grocer translates the nutritional labels in most cases. Cons are it takes forever and they have a shitty or nonexistent POS system, you never know if you're actually going to get what you order, because they frequently sell out of items without updating the website. They do often have the best prices.

You may be able to order the items from another site using AFG's nutritional labels, but I've noticed that import shops rarely carry the same items.

SeanC

I went to Little Tokyo last week and for whatever reason could not find the Green Tea Kit Kats. In the past those things were everywhere but this time it was impossible. They had many other flavors but not the one major one I went to LT for in the first place.

Thanks for sharing!

Hmm... I don't remember the names. There was one I think that had the words "pure" on the label. Those tasted AMAZING! I had tried the strawberry and orange ones. There were also these small ball like candies that were coated in chocolate? I don't know the name but they were super soft and gummy.

Oh and Hi-Chews? I had a package daily HAHA! I would hit up a 7-11 or Family Mart on my way out for the day.

maxcriden

Oyatsucafe.com should have tons of stuff available to order.

Arigatou~

Maybe for my b-day I can get some good stuff.

Hmm... I don't remember the names. There was one I think that had the words "pure" on the label. Those tasted AMAZING! I had tried the strawberry and orange ones. There were also these small ball like candies that were coated in chocolate? I don't know the name but they were super soft and gummy.

Oh and Hi-Chews? I had a package daily HAHA! I would hit up a 7-11 or Family Mart on my way out for the day.

Nice! Thanks for the tips! If you happen to find the specific name please do let me know. Those sound awesome though and I'll keep an eye out for them for sure, thank you! I'm not sure if I've tried Hi-Chew, though I see it everywhere these days... I guess I definitely have to try 'em!

(I just ate one of the Ramune gummies mentioned in the OP a little while ago. It's crazy how much they taste like Ramune!)

I got a Japanese snack box as part of a secret santa and they came with these long tubes that were like monster munch or wotsits, but a bit more dense. Super delicious but I didn't see what they were called.

maxcriden

These Yoku Moku cookies are great, couldn't find them when I went to Japan in Dec though. Guessing it's seasonal since I bought them previously in Summer.

Those look good! They're a kind of langue de chat, right? I have some chocolate filled ones in our pantry. (Pictured in the OP.)

Decided to post a pic of what we got in Oyatsubox for December - a good selection.

8RSV2SUl.jpg
[/IMG]

What you can see:

Pocky Midi Milk Chocolate (Thick Coating, yumm)
Some nice Cola gummies with a picture of a salary man on the front
Taiyaki - Traditional Japanese wafer in the shape of a fish - Strawberry flavour
Some amazing Sweetcorn Pizza flavour chips.
Some Ramune flavour Candy Floss (Cotton Candy for you Yanks)
Some mini Hi-Chew sweets - a new edition sweet in Japan.
Also got some amazing Meltikiss Chocolates limited edition.

The eagle-eyed among you may also spot this month's Gachapon on the Pocky Box, which if you look closely (and I'm now conditioned to not be surprised by this sort of thing) appears to be a pixelated man taking a pixelated dump.

I like to order random candy boxes on ebay from time to time, and they're usually quite good. Also tried Tokyo Treat once, but it was too expensive to keep subscribing. The squid stuff is super gross though. I might order some of the stuff OP listed next week. ^_^

Here's some of the stuff I bought last year:

31425966713_2836b7cf67_o.png

Anyone have this before?

vl2ImsTm.jpg

Its gold.

lEE6wZZ.jpg

Like figuratively gold.

SMYpZo4.jpg

It's $18 per bar, $100 for this box^

Its pretty damn good though. Probably the best chocolate i've ever had.

Ryuukan

Mikawaya is actually from LA, and mochi ice cream is Japanese-American food. I wouldn't be surprised if it made it back to Japan by this point though.

ages ago when I was in college, the only mochi ice cream around was yukimi daifuku, no American brands

maxcriden

Decided to post a pic of what we got in Oyatsubox for December - a good selection.

8RSV2SUl.jpg
[/IMG]

What you can see:

Pocky Midi Milk Chocolate (Thick Coating, yumm)
Some nice Cola gummies with a picture of a salary man on the front
Taiyaki - Traditional Japanese wafer in the shape of a fish - Strawberry flavour
Some amazing Sweetcorn Pizza flavour chips.
Some Ramune flavour Candy Floss (Cotton Candy for you Yanks)
Some mini Hi-Chew sweets - a new edition sweet in Japan.
Also got some amazing Meltikiss Chocolates limited edition.

The eagle-eyed among you may also spot this month's Gachapon on the Pocky Box, which if you look closely (and I'm now conditioned to not be surprised by this sort of thing) appears to be a pixelated man taking a pixelated dump.

Haha, the gachapon 😂

Thanks for posting his roundup! What was your favorite and least favorite item inside?

I like to order random candy boxes on ebay from time to time, and they're usually quite good. Also tried Tokyo Treat once, but it was too expensive to keep subscribing. The squid stuff is super gross though. I might order some of the stuff OP listed next week. ^_^

Here's some of the stuff I bought last year:

31425966713_2836b7cf67_o.png

Ooh, thanks for sharing! What was the best item in there? I like the look of those. I've eyed some of those random candy boxes before but never went for it. Last year I ordered a set of those limited edition airport only kit Kat bars but the first shipment got lost so all told it took like two and a half months or more to get the order. (http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/04/...at-now-available-but-only-at-select-airports/)

Anyone have this before?

vl2ImsTm.jpg

Its gold.

lEE6wZZ.jpg

Like figuratively gold.

SMYpZo4.jpg

It's $18 per bar, $100 for this box^

Its pretty damn good though. Probably the best chocolate i've ever had.

It looks like great quality macha chocolate. Does it taste like chocolate, though? Or is it more the texture of a milk chocolate with a matcha flavor? I ask because the macha chocolate I've tried hasn't had much chocolate flavor to it per se. Which is probably a good thing, I imagine a bitter chocolate and matcha would clash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom