• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just for kicks: How should the only 8K 60fps PS5 game (The Touryst) be PS5 Pro Enhanced?

CamHostage

Shin'en is bold, I could see them doing some fun stuff with even more horsepower (and in the past they have done re-releases and custom versions of games, though I don't know that they've ever done mid-gen reworkings?) The Touryst has some interesting tech underneath it (even though it is a voxel-based block world game,) I'd like to see yet another pass at the tech.

That said, Shin'en's most recent game is a back-to-basics 2D platformer, it's worth checking out (on PS4/5 and Switch for I think $8) and has some cool experimentation going on, but it's not a new bleeding-edge tech try from them. So I don't know if that was Punchuin was just a project for fun, or if they're retreating a bit from high-spec design?

(Both Touryst and Punchuin and also FAST are on sale this week through the 24th on Switch and other available plats, BTW)

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Adding Ray-Tracing to a 8K 60fps PS5 game would be kinda crazy .

They'll need to increase the HDMI 2.1 port bandwidth first. At the current 32Gbps, you're only going to get 8k at 30fps... I'm hoping that gets addressed though. There's the tiny issue of needing to buy an 8k TV. But lets not worry about that for now. It'll spoil the mood of the party you're trying to get going. 🤪

onQ123

They'll need to increase the HDMI 2.1 port bandwidth first. At the current 32Gbps, you're only going to get 8k at 30fps... I'm hoping that gets addressed though. There's the tiny issue of needing to buy an 8k TV. But lets not worry about that for now. It'll spoil the mood of the party you're trying to get going. 🤪
Down sample

CamHostage

Yep, the game is set to do it (and runs at that internal resolution before downsampling), but Sony never got the PS5 to work at that res-by-framerate. I'm not sure if it's something Sony can actually patch in the BIOS (they can change the feature set but I'm not sure if the bandwidth allocation is there?) or if it would need to be a new iteration of the hardware?

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Yep, the game is set to do it (and runs at that internal resolution before downsampling), but Sony never got the PS5 to work at that res-by-framerate. I'm not sure if it's something they can actually patch in the BIOS (they can change the feature set but I'm not sure if the bandwidth allocation is there?) or if it would need to be a new iteration of the hardware?
I remember at the time it, it was rumoured to be getting a future firmware update, but never happened. I'd be surprised if it wasn't redone for the Pro - but then maybe they'll just keep it aligned with the base system. Thinking more seriously about it all, we'd be able to get 4k 120fps full chroma.... which would be nice.

King Dazzar

We don't even know what the HDMI port of the Pro will be capable of yet .
For sure, sorry have I come to the wrong party?
Dance Reaction GIF

buenoblue

I mean 1080p base res reconstructed to 4k at 60fps would be nice first 😂😭

CamHostage

I mean 1080p base res reconstructed to 4k at 60fps would be nice first 😂😭
...Of this game? ...Or of the HDMI port? ...Or of just games in general?

Touryst renders the game at 8K60. PS5 is "capable" of 8K but as of yet the hardware firmware does not support 8K display (...even though it lists 8K on the PS5 box. Xbox Series X is or rather will be also capable of 8K and includes it in features lists, but I don't see a logo or feature point on the package unless it's somewhere in the fine print? Neither console can do it today, and Touryst was only ported for 8K60 native support so far in the PS5 version.) Without a 8K output to display the game at (which bothers you only if you have an 8K TV... *checking wallet*), the game instead uses that internal render as part of the downsampling process for clean 4K60 display.

61QtW8rJpPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(BTW, aside from games, there is no 8K media type or major movie streaming service offering 8K media, but it looks like Youtube does actually have a little bit of 4320p content so you can go get your compressed 8k material there, whenever either console supports it.)

Bernoulli

M2 slut

Touryst renders the game at 8K60. PS5 is "capable" of 8K but as of yet the hardware firmware does not support 8K display (...even though it lists 8K on the PS5 box. Xbox Series X is or rather will be also capable of 8K and includes it in features lists, but I don't see a logo or feature point on the package unless it's somewhere in the fine print? Neither console can do it today, and Touryst was only ported for 8K60 native support so far in the PS5 version.) Without a 8K output to display the game at (which bothers you only if you have an 8K TV... *checking wallet*), the game instead uses that internal render as part of the downsampling process for clean 4K60 display.

(BTW, aside from games, there is no 8K media type or major movie streaming service offering 8K media, but it looks like Youtube does actually have a little bit of 4320p content so you can go get your compressed 8k material there, whenever either console supports it.)

uQOu5iD.jpeg

ZiC823F.jpeg

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

CamHostage

Good to know!

PC is ready too, of course... though it sounds like DLSS regularly helps it work out.

(Also, Touryst PC I believe does not inherently do 8K despite the PS5 version as it is an older port and was specifically written for a 4K frame buffer, if I'm reading it right... correct me again if I'm wrong again... but the PC version can run at 240fps and that's fun to think about too.)

Last edited:

AGRacing

Maybe actually OUTPUT in 8K?

I think it is absolutely hilarious Sony insists on printing “8K” on every PS5 box since launch and STILL can’t output 8K. Meanwhile Pro releases this year.

Is it stupid in the first place ? Absolutely! Do they print it on every single console box regardless? Yup!!

Let me just write “world renowned chef” on my resume. If someone asks about it I’ll just say “I am capable of being one.. haven’t ever done it… but I’ll do it eventually…. probably… stay tuned!”.

buenoblue

I'm just joking about games like Alan Wake 2, Forspoken and Immortals of Aveum where the base res seems to be really low. Talking about 8k and 240fps just seems odd when most new games are pretty low res.

I got the urge to play borderlands and the first Arkham Batman games on PC and seeing them run at 4k native with 60fps makes you realize how shitty new games on console can look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom