• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 will run at 30 FPS on Consoles

Draugoth

Gold Member
kingdom-come-deliverance-2-fight-HD-1456x819.jpg

During the ongoing Game Access event in Brno, Czech Republi, the Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 producer also revealed that on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, the game will run at 4K resolution and 30 frames per second, although it wasn't specified if it will be 4K native resolution or upscaled. On Xbox Series S, the game will run at 1440p resolution and 30 FPS mode. The lack of multiple display modes suggests the game will be CPU-intensive, which is expected for an open-world role-playing game.

While Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 running at only 30 FPS on consoles is disappointing, performance should be stable at the very least. The game is apparently already running steadily at above 30 FPS, so at this early stage, optimization is definitely ahead of the first entry in the series, which didn't run very smoothly on consoles. On PC, the developers confirmed to Wccftech that NVIDIA DLSS already enables up to 80 FPS at 4K resolution with Very High graphics settings (running on an AMD Ryzen 7950X3D CPU and RTX 4080 Super GPU).

Source

Meicyn

Gold Member
From the article:

As reported on the Czech website Zing.cz, during the ongoing Game Access event in Brno, Czech Republic, producer Martin Klíma confirmed that the Xbox Series S technical limitations, namely the 10 GB of RAM, have impacted Kingdom Come Deliverance 2's scope. As the weakest current generation console has only 25% more RAM, Warhorse Studios decided to make the game only 25% bigger than its predecessor. This isn't the first time we have heard how Microsoft's console impacted the development of multiplatform games, but it is still disappointing.

lmao

Portugeezer

Gold Member
From the article:

As reported on the Czech website Zing.cz, during the ongoing Game Access event in Brno, Czech Republic, producer Martin Klíma confirmed that the Xbox Series S technical limitations, namely the 10 GB of RAM, have impacted Kingdom Come Deliverance 2's scope. As the weakest current generation console has only 25% more RAM, Warhorse Studios decided to make the game only 25% bigger than its predecessor. This isn't the first time we have heard how Microsoft's console impacted the development of multiplatform games, but it is still disappointing.

lmao
I'm surprised they'd admit such a thing.

Must be a bad translation, right?

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
From the article:

lmao

At this point just skip the Xbox Series, Microsoft is about to skip them too.

GHG

Gold Member
From the article:

lmao

What did I say the moment those specs were revealed.

It's all good and well having a GPU that's not as strong but in order to ensure everything else remains the same all else needed to be equal, so here we are.

From the article:

lmao
Game size and scope doesn't correlate linearly with RAM increase lmfao. Saying that you made the game 25% bigger because there was 25% more RAM is the stupidest fucking thing I've heard from a dev in a while. These are consoles with farrrrrr better CPUs, and equipped with SSDs that can stream in and out data at a far FARRR better rate.

This shit is limited in scope because that is all they can afford.

skit_data

As the weakest current generation console has only 25% more RAM, Warhorse Studios decided to make the game only 25% bigger than its predecessor.
Look, no need to convince me Series S does indeed impact development of multiplat titles to some extent, but this sounds too stupid. It has to be a mistranslation or something.

Last edited:
Well it's a PC game first and foremost. Prolly still cryengine? This game will prolly look insane considering how the first one looked. Or it might end up being a pos as we live in shit times.

Robochobo

There is that thing which is called "options". Ever heard about it?
That just adds even more workload on an already smaller sized dev team making an open world RPG that have been getting more difficult to develop for in a timely fashion. Not to mention the fact their last and only game came out 6 years ago. It's not as if they can work on the game indefinitely. They need to finish and release it as salaries and bills need to get paid.

Denton

They will be very careful to make that 30fps super solid. But I would not be surprised if there was 40fps mode too.

Generic

From the article:

lmao
This doesn't justify the game running at 30fps on the PS5 and Series X.

Fbh

Shame, I'll put it alongside Dragons Dogma 2 on the list of games to play at some point in the future when I can afford to make the jump to PC.
Maybe they can at least get a 40fps mode working

if you have a problem with 30fps you shouldnt own a console,for everyone else its fine

Why? I own a Ps5 and there's tons of 60fps games to play including a lot of recent and upcoming releases from this year like FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2, PoP The Lost Crown, Yakuza Infinite Wealth, Shadow of the Erdtree, SMTV, YSX, Astro Bot and more

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Game size and scope doesn't correlate linearly with RAM increase lmfao. Saying that you made the game 25% bigger because there was 25% more RAM is the stupidest fucking thing I've heard from a dev in a while. These are consoles with farrrrrr better CPUs, and equipped with SSDs that can stream in and out data at a far FARRR better rate.

This shit is limited in scope because that is all they can afford.
My guess is it’s a mistranslation from Czech to English.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
That’s a shame, wanted to play this on PS5 but at least they’re being up front. Maybe this elusive pro may help somewhat.

Bojji

From the article:

lmao

Hahaha, finally confirmation form devs about what I was saying about Series S all this time. This console sets target specs for current games, this is the lowest common denominator and it has barely more memory than last gen consoles. Pathetic...

So when GTA VI releases and blows this away in size, scope and scale, can I tell you how wrong you were?

Imagine how GTA6 could look without Series S (with 8GB of usable memory) as an anchor. Completely different kind of game BTW.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Really hope it has frame gen, sounds heavily cpu limited.
My guess is it’s a mistranslation from Czech to English.
While the article is not exactly well written, the excerpt that they reference isnt mistranslated.

Its also not what has happened since the game has 2 maps (both 16km in size, i theorize its the same map just in a different state) large part of one map (2/3rd) is inacessible so the playable map space apparently ends up being 25% larger in the sequel, but the combined size of those maps, including the inacessible parts add up to a lot more than 25%.

Last edited:
Hahaha, finally confirmation form devs about what I was saying about Series S all this time. This console sets target specs for current games, this is the lowest common denominator and it has barely more memory than last gen consoles. Pathetic...
One game is hardly a compelling argument.

Imagine how GTA6 could look without Series S (with 8GB of usable memory) as an anchor. Completely different kind of game BTW.
Are you saying Rockstar have held back their vision for GTA VI because of Series S? Both open world but GTA is 100 times more ambitious so the implication that one console is holding the developer back still stands.

GHG

Gold Member
So when GTA VI releases and blows this away in size, scope and scale, can I tell you how wrong you were?

Doesn't change the fact that it will need to have been built around the limitations of the Series S instead of the Series X/PS5.

Considering the fact that some games have been delayed and had features completely removed it's clear that the RAM in the Series S is the limiting factor for this generation from a multiplatform perspective.

Oppoi

From the article:

lmao
*Xbox parity clause, holding games back while making sure you're not getting a better experience outside of Xbox and that is how we stay afloat!*

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Doesn't change the fact that it will need to have been built around the limitations of the Series S instead of the Series X/PS5.

Considering the fact that some games have been delayed and had features completely removed it's clear that the RAM in the Series S is the limiting factor for this generation from a multiplatform perspective.

That "some game" wasn't built around Xbox and it came out 2~ months after the PS5 release with only one feature missing on the SS version, no part of the games scope or structure was compromised otherwise.

I doubt GTA VI is going to have split-screen co-op to necessitate that kind of a thing.

GHG

Gold Member
That "some game" wasn't built around Xbox and it came out 2~ months after the PS5 release with only one feature missing on the SS version, no part of the games scope or structure was compromised otherwise.

I doubt GTA VI is going to have split-screen co-op to necessitate that kind of a thing.

Their vision was compromised because they wanted all players to have the option which the game mode that had to be removed provided.

This isn't the first time a developer has mentioned the difficulties/constraints this console has compared to the other "next gen" consoles, and it wont be the last.

Last edited:

Bojji

One game is hardly a compelling argument.
Are you saying Rockstar have held back their vision for GTA VI because of Series S? Both open world but GTA is 100 times more ambitious so the implication that one console is holding the developer back still stands.

Yep, they have to design and run this game in 8GB memory space, they had 5GB last gen with RDR2 so it's barely more than that. Without Series S they would have 13GB of memory available on SX and PS5.

There were a LOT of not happy developers before:

Garibaldi

Nah, they already confirmed 80fps, 4k dlss Quality and Very High settings can be achieved on a 4080 Super.
I'm pretty sure if it's anything like the first game, your CPU will drag that down unless you're running a top end CPU.

Also is that 80 with framegen? Pretty poor if so.

GHG

Gold Member
Also is that 80 with framegen? Pretty poor if so.

Without:

As it turns out, Kingdom Come Deliverance II already runs at 60 frames per second without DLSS (or FSR), while it can reach up to 80 once those upscalers are enabled. However, Stolz Zwilling clarified this was valid for 'most' but not all places in the game, and in general, this was simply a rough test that shouldn't be taken as fully representative of the performance

Garibaldi

Without:

Rough test that doesn't indicate performance is his final quote. So covering all his bases there. I'll stick to my prediction that unless you have a tip of the spear you won't see anywhere near 60fps without simulation cutbacks and dlss reductions. Hope to be proved wrong, but Cryengine isn't the friendliest beast to tame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom