• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Neeson wants to appear in a Star Wars spinoff film as Qui-Gon Jinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-liam-neeson-wants-to-return-as-qui-gon-107494863626.html

‘Taken 3’ star Liam Neeson told Yahoo he wants to play Jedi master Qui-Gon Jinn again in the ‘Star Wars’ franchise, and has offered his thoughts on THAT lightsaber from the ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ trailer.

We asked the 62-year-old actor whether he’d be up for a spin-off film featuring his character (watch the video above) and he told us, “Yeah, I’d say so. Yeah, that would be terrific.”

Say what you want about Phantom Menace. Neeson did a great job in the film. And he seems to have come around about his feelings about Star Wars after being initially hostile, lending his voice to the Clone Wars cartoon.

Sephzilla

I'd be okay with it so long as Lucas isn't involved in the writing (which I highly doubt he would be, at this point). I'm sure another writer could do a much better job of giving Qui-Gon more depth and be a generally more interesting character. Episode 1 Qui-Gon is a boring character who's entirely carried by Liam Neeson's natural awesomeness.

Cheebo

Banned
How? Phantom Menace filmed in 1997-1998. Roughly 18 years ago, Well over 20 before any such spin-off could get off the ground. He can't play the character before he died. He aged far too much. Not to mention they make it pretty explicit in Star Wars that Qui-Gon can't appear as a force ghost, only as a voice.

kmax

Yay!

He's already 62...fuck

Time flies. Please don't retire for a long time, Liam. You're my favorite actor.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sure, since he had no character in the first movie anyway they'd have to rewrite him completely.

I don't see it happening though until they start to ramp up the production and "marvelize" Star Wars

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-liam-neeson-wants-to-return-as-qui-gon-107494863626.html

Say what you want about Phantom Menace. Neeson did a great job in the film. And he seems to have come around about his feelings about Star Wars after being initially hostile, lending his voice to the Clone Wars cartoon.

If he was acting under the assumption that Qui-Gon was a unfeeling robot, then he totally nailed it.

In all fairness though, it wasnt all Liam Neesons fault, the script was dogshit and Lucas made it abundantly clear in the pre-quels that he just doesnt care anymore.

Why not. He did a fine job with the dry material he was given, and few actors would have made Qui-Gon as well-liked as he generally is.

I don't know what sort of spinoff film with Qui-Gon you can do though. The Sith weren't exactly being conspicuous with their actions prior to Phantom Menace supposedly, and the Jedi seemed to be content with just kicking back in their Temple and occasionally settle trade disputes.

Phoenix

Oh a SPINOFF. I was about to lay a canonical Smackdown right here.

What, you never knew that Ghost Jedis can remanifest for certain periods of time? C'mon man. There are tons of ways they would have written themselves out of that hole ;) Just do it serially like quantum leap... lol.

McGregor's Obi-Wan, living on Tatooine, slowing being driven mad by the voice of Qui-Gon would be pretty cool. Kenobi develops a new personality named Ben to help deal with his dementia.

Instro

I don't see how it could be done, and really Disney probably wants to distance their films from the prequel trilogy as much as possible. Would be neat though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why not. He did a fine job with the dry material he was given, and few actors would have made Qui-Gon as well-liked as he generally is.

I don't know what sort of spinoff film with Qui-Gon you can do though. The Sith weren't exactly being conspicuous with their actions prior to Phantom Menace supposedly, and the Jedi seemed to be content with just kicking back in their Temple and occasionally settle trade disputes.

Create a Dark Jedi antagonist for Qui-Gon to fight (pre-Obi Wan apprentice era).

Done.

Such an underused character in Episode 1, along with countless other underused characters in all of the prequels. I would like to see more of him.

Corgi

Banned
reminds me, anyone else read those books as a kid? Think the series was 'jedi apprentice'.

quigon was always an interesting character, pretty much any jedi that think the strict jedi code thing is stupid are cool in my books.

Sephzilla

I would love a background film or something based around Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Their interplay in Ep. I was wonderful.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were easily the best things to come out of the prequels. The Emperor hamming it up in Episode 3 is the next best.

Blader

Qui-Gon explained very explicitly that he is not able to appear as a force ghost, only as a voice. It's why he didn't disappear.

I don't know what you're referencing, but since that particular bit of dialogue never happened in a movie, I'm quite sure no one at Lucasfilm/Disney actually cares. No one's going to deliberately write Liam Neeson out of a potential movie just because a cartoon said so at one point.

Sephzilla

The most logical thing that could work for a Qui-Gon reappearance at this point would be as a Force Ghost in an Obi-Wan spinoff. Set it between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope and make the story revolve around Obi-Wan going on some kind of adventure where Qui-Gon travels with him trying to help Obi-Wan out from the afterlife. I think Neeson is too old to do a pre-Episode 1 movie at this point.

Instro

Ok here's the plot. Qui-Gon's ghost is pulled into a living body(that happens to look like current Liam) in the current era by some Sith powers/experiment, who brainwash and use him to assassinate some Jedi or whatever. After coming to his senses, Qui-Gon sets out to get revenge with his very particular set of skills. Done.

Prequels would have been much better if Qui-Gon had survived his injury in TPM and essentially taken Dookus role after that. He would be so much more insidious as a villain given that A. It's effing Liam Neeson and B. He had such close ties to both Obi-Wan and Anakin.

His character was lame. This is a stupid idea and I hate it. That means it will probably happen, and I'll have to hear about it, since I apparently have some overlapping interests with people who watch garbage like this.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The most logical thing that could work for a Qui-Gon reappearance at this point would be as a Force Ghost in an Obi-Wan spinoff. Set it between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope and make the story revolve around Obi-Wan going on some kind of adventure where Qui-Gon travels with him trying to help Obi-Wan out from the afterlife. I think Neeson is too old to do a pre-Episode 1 movie at this point.

Didn't obi wan basically spend the 20 years between RotS and ANH as a hermit on tatooine, keeping watch over luke from a distance and monitoring the state of the empire from the outer rim territories, where the empire held little power, and wouldn't be likely to find him?

Sephzilla

What? Him just sitting around becoming a hermit in the desert?

Didn't obi wan basically spend the 20 years between RotS and ANH as a hermit on tatooine, keeping watch over luke from a distance and monitoring the state of the empire from the outer rim territories, where the empire held little power?

I don't think there's any canon at this point that firmly establishes he just hermits on Tatooine the entire time between the trilogies. They could totally write in a spin-off adventure where Obi-Wan does something either on Tatooine or somewhere else in the outer-rim. Maybe Obi-Wan has some kind of mini-adventure that involves protecting Luke and thus explains why Uncle Owen in Ep. 4 doesn't like Obi-Wan?

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't know what you're referencing, but since that particular bit of dialogue never happened in a movie, I'm quite sure no one at Lucasfilm/Disney actually cares. No one's going to deliberately write Liam Neeson out of a potential movie just because a cartoon said so at one point.

Then why did they make the cartoon official canon? While they made literally everything else obsolete?

Cheebo

Banned

The Clone Wars is not just some "cartoon". This is a statement put out by Lucasfilm a few months back explicitly stating The Clone Wars is at the same level as the 6 films since it came directly from George Lucas himself and thus is part of the base of Star Wars that all future stories MUST adhere to:

He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

How? Phantom Menace filmed in 1997-1998. Roughly 18 years ago, Well over 20 before any such spin-off could get off the ground. He can't play the character before he died. He aged far too much.

That didn't stop them from reassembling a cast last seen together in 1983.

Also, flashbacks.

Cheebo

Banned
That didn't stop them from reassembling a cast last seen together in 1983.

Also, flashbacks.
What? Those characters are all alive so the can appear in a movie set 30 years later. It makes sense they aged.

Liam Neeson can't play Qui-Gon in a flashback. He has aged nearly 20 years since the character died. He can't play a young version of himself without the CGI de-aging stuff which I doubt anyone wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom