• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars Saga [Updated as I watch]

Status
Not open for further replies.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Phantom Menace isn't very good, but it is just as much a specific cultural touchstone as it is a movie, and unfortunately, that touchstone is one of percieved generational disappointment on a very wide scale. The quality of the film itself is almost always going to be viewed through that particular prism, and it makes the quality of the film seem lower than it actually is in a large number of cases, which leads to people being surprised that it's not a total affront to the sensibilities when they finally give it a shot.

It's still not good, though.

I don't know if this is true for a lot of people, but for me as a kid watching episode 1 and later on episode 2 at the movie theater may have been my first encounters with the particular method of storytelling that Lucas decided to employ in the prequels. In hindsight it seems he was heavily referencing the 1940s-1960s serial approach of rapid narrative pace, minimal characterization and heavy exposition.

Not only was it quite different from the narrative style of the OT, it was also a pretty unfamiliar format among my social circle back then. It left us with strong feelings of bewilderment, as if we were shown a 'work in progress' cut of an unfinished movie. The fact that these movies were none other than the grand return of Star Wars made it all the more difficult to digest..

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
How did the R2-D2 award ceremony seem forced but this seemed fine? Another ridiculous, and fairly nonsensical, coincidence that a slave kid constructed this droid with complex AI designed for diplomacy and etiquette, speaks a zillion different languages, all to help his mother clean the house. I'm imagining in ESB when Vader captures everyone in Cloud City, Vader turns to C-3PO and goes, "Oh ya, I made you when I was a kid for my mom," and then walks into the other room. Everyone just looks at each other.

Actually, in Cloud City we saw a bunch of other identical manufactured protocol droids walking around. Anikan is a dirty liar - he found C-3PO in a dump out back and pretended he made it.

I didn't think he meant that he made it completely from scratch. I figured it was either a kit, or a pile of parts. I don't want spoilers, but I figured that C-3PO ended up with Leia because of a timeline where Anakin brings C3PO along for the ride and ends up getting passed from person to person until he's with her. I don't know. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

Oersted

How did the R2-D2 award ceremony seem forced but this seemed fine? Another ridiculous, and fairly nonsensical, coincidence that a slave kid constructed this droid with complex AI designed for diplomacy and etiquette, speaks a zillion different languages, all to help his mother clean the house. I'm imagining in ESB when Vader captures everyone in Cloud City, Vader turns to C-3PO and goes, "Oh ya, I made you when I was a kid for my mom," and then walks into the other room. Everyone just looks at each other.

Actually, in Cloud City we saw a bunch of other identical manufactured protocol droids walking around. Anikan is a dirty liar - he found C-3PO in a dump out back and pretended he made it.

Anakin tried to kill his son and tortured his daughter, without noticing who they are. Not realizing that its his robot is kind of par of course.

bill0527

The Phantom Menace isn't nearly as terrible at people pretend it is. It has problems and some head scratching moments but its the strongest of the prequels.

I'm curious as to why you think its the strongest of the prequels.

For me, its the absolute worst of all 6 Star Wars movies by a large margin.

Nonsensical alien characters who I struggled to even understand what they were saying...even after repeated viewings.

One of the worst characters ever put to film in Jar Jar Binks.

"But but..this movie was for kids so Jar Jar fits right in !!!" I call bullshit on that. Lucas tried to toe that line for years about how he was making a movie for kids and that's why we got stepping in shit jokes and a Jamaican speaking slapstick comedy character. The problem was, George tried to write a story for adults, but filled it with jokes and comedy skits that only a 5-year old would giggle about. I don't think your average 5-8 year old can read the opening crawl of Episode 1 and have a single WTF they're talking about. Trade disputes and political machinations are always high on the list of children's entertainment.

The problem with Episode 1 is that nothing important happened. Its a complete throwaway movie in terms of the overall 6 movie story arc of the fall of Anakin Skywalker and how Darth Sidious came to power. Anything that was important, maybe like how Anakin got off the planet and had to leave his mother, could have been told in about 5 minutes of dialogue. It was largely a self-contained story minus the Anakin/mother parts.

Episode 1 did have the coolest lightsaber fight, but 2/3 of the participants ended up dead and had no further ties to the rest of the movie saga.

It is the one Star Wars movie I'm very satisfied to never watch again and don't care to sit and watch with any of my kids.

I didn't think he meant that he made it completely from scratch. I figured it was either a kit, or a pile of parts. I don't want spoilers, but I figured that C-3PO ended up with Leia because of a timeline where Anakin brings C3PO along for the ride and ends up getting passed from person to person until he's with her. I don't know. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

But we see that the 3P0 design isnt unique throughout the series, so either:

1) Anakin took a pre-made standard protocol droid kit and assembled it, as you suggest, or

2) Anakin built 3PO from scratch, and from that the 3P0 design was then standardized.

There's really nothing in the movies to say with 100% certainty either way. I'm inclined to lean towards your theory but taking the information from TPM as is, it comes off that 3PO was built from nothing by child Anakin, I'm guessing as a way to show his precocious-ness, but his unique ability( as a human) to podrace should have been sufficient. I just look at it as a form of fanservice, because it doesnt serve the plot in any meaningful way beyond a nudge-wink.

I detest what became of the lightsaber battles in the prequel trilogy. That being said, the three way at the end of episode 1 is still very good. It doesn't quite stand up to the fights in Empire and ROTJ, but it managed to me make emotionally engaged at the end and there are some great moments of suspense starting with the hallway barriers. The choreography, while more active than the OT, doesn't quite get to the levels of the flippy, flashy, oh look how cool we are bullshit of episodes 2 and 3. I like how Maul integrates some martial arts into his fight style. Also, at least it looks like these guys are actually trying to hit each other.

I think they went for the bigger, badder routine with the saber fights as the PT progressed, till it got to the point of being ridiculous( wont expand on that more out of respect for the TC) You know whats an underappreciated fight, even though it was merely a teaser? The first Quigon-Maul fight on Tatooine. That actually had some grit to it, and didnt come off as overly choreographed.

Fuck, youre about to get to episode 2. Youre in for a treat.
Rarely is a movie as dull and boring as Episode 2. Its almost admirable.

BFIB

Rays sentiments line up about where everyone sits on the prequels.

I actually like Phantom Menace the most out of the prequels. It feels the closest to the OT.

But we see that the 3P0 design isnt unique throughout the series, so either:

1) Anakin took a pre-made standard protocol droid kit and assembled it, as you suggest, or

2) Anakin built 3PO from scratch, and from that the 3P0 design was then standardized.

There's really nothing in the movies to say with 100% certainty either way. I'm inclined to lean towards your theory but taking the information from TPM as is, it comes off that 3PO was built from nothing by child Anakin, I'm guessing as a way to show his precocious-ness, but his unique ability( as a human) to podrace should have been sufficient. I just look at it as a form of fanservice, because it doesnt serve the plot in any meaningful way beyond a nudge-wink.

If you watch Phantom Menace protocol droid TC-14 greets Obi Wan and Qui Gon right at the start. Protocol droids are from a kit. Anakin just found protocol droid kit parts over the years and assembled it. It isn't much of a stretch considering he works in a junk yard and you have to imagine the software for the droids is probably pretty standard. Star Wars has always shown that droid parts are scattered around all the time.

zma1013

That's why I see why people hate the prequels cause they sit there and dissect Im here to watch an action Sci fi flick and that's what I get I go in and I'm always entertained I love all 6 and 7 is gonna be an awesome ride but that's my 2 cents.
And OP make sure you have tissues for ep 3 that shit hits you in the feels

You don't even have to dissect anything though, even just trying to mindlessly watch them and all the badness slaps you in the face. The acting, the dialog, the overly choreographed fight scenes, these all punch me in the face as I watch even if I've tried to turn off my critical thinking. It's like the death star tractor beam, there is no escaping it.

If you watch Phantom Menace protocol droid TC-14 greets Obi Wan and Qui Gon right at the start. Protocol droids are from a kit. Anakin just found protocol droid kit parts over the years and assembled it. It isn't much of a stretch considering he works in a junk yard and you have to imagine the software for the droids is probably pretty standard. Star Wars has always shown that droid parts are scattered around all the time.

Damn I totally forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder...always wondered why Lucas made the choice to not make C-3PO and R2's designs unique.

I don't know if this is true for a lot of people, but for me as a kid watching episode 1 and later on episode 2 at the movie theater may have been my first encounters with the particular method of storytelling that Lucas decided to employ in the prequels. In hindsight it seems he was heavily referencing the 1940s-1960s serial approach of rapid narrative pace, minimal characterization and heavy exposition.

Not only was it quite different from the narrative style of the OT, it was also a pretty unfamiliar format among my social circle back then. It left us with strong feelings of bewilderment, as if we were shown a 'work in progress' cut of an unfinished movie. The fact that these movies were none other than the grand return of Star Wars made it all the more difficult to digest..

I appreciate posts like these largely because more often than not, when I hear older fans (people my old-ass age and older) speaking on "the younger generations" and the Prequels, it's as if you guys all have a singular hive mind because you're young and your first Star Wars films were these ones. And you are always ascribed this sort of open, idealistic, welcoming, eager kind of hive mind, and the end result is that you (ALL of you) enjoyed/loved/cherished/adored the Prequels unquestionably, which suggests the only thing stopping us cranky olds from getting on your level is our closed-mindedness, our inability to be as children while watching.

Which has always seemed pretty fuckin' bullshit, to me. It's never the kids themselves speaking up for themselves, or giving their own opinions. It's the kids being used as a prop (surprise, considering most of these kids are people who had these films forced on them by overeager parents watching them instead of the movie to see if they've successfully raised a pop-culture clone) by a group of adults who likely doesn't even interact with any of said kids, as a means to win an argument on the internet.

"Oh, but the kids love it the same way we loved our Star Wars"

Yeah, but fuckin do they? Really? Or is that a thing people say because it's part of an (unverified) checklist people go down as they engage in the same argument for the 3000th time in the last 15 years?

It's dumb enough that a large chunk of us cannot fucking stop feeding into this stupid schism as if it means anything near the level of importance us olds have palced on it. They're just bad movies in a popular film series. It's not unique or amazing or damaging or any of that. But it gets even dumber when we throw entire generations of people into that schism for the purposes of getting to yell across from it that we're standing on the correct side.

That's why I see why people hate the prequels cause they sit there and dissect Im here to watch an action Sci fi flick and that's what I get I go in and I'm always entertained I love all 6 and 7 is gonna be an awesome ride but that's my 2 cents.
And OP make sure you have tissues for ep 3 that shit hits you in the feels

Yeah, that's basically how I am.

Not that I think it matters but if it's relevant, I started with the OT. I'm not a prequels first kid.

EDIT: To the above, I think it's best to just agree to disagree here.

Which has always seemed pretty fuckin' bullshit, to me. It's never the kids themselves speaking up for themselves, or giving their own opinions. It's the kids being used as a prop (surprise, considering most of these kids are people who had these films forced on them by overeager parents watching them instead of the movie to see if they've successfully raised a pop-culture clone) by a group of adults who likely doesn't even interact with any of said kids, as a means to win an argument on the internet.

"Oh, but the kids love it the same way we loved our Star Wars"

Even well into my 30's, I've watched many of the recent comic movies with a child-like enthusiasm, so I never bought into the argument that us older folks couldn't enjoy the new prequels because they were 'intended for children'. With fresh minds now at work, I'm eagerly awaiting Episode VII with a new hope( pun fully intended).

Even well into my 30's, I've watched many of the recent comic movies with a child-like enthusiasm, so I never bought into the argument that us older folks couldn't enjoy the new prequels because they were 'intended for children'..

That's not really the point I'm going for, though. I'm not suggesting it's impossible for people older than 13 to watch a movie in that 13-year old mindset. There are a ton of us forcibly chasing our own adolescence as far into middle-age as we possibly can. I'm not suggesting such a thing is unreasonable or out of bounds. I'm pointing out that the concept is almost always brought up by old people as a way to speak for the young as opposed to letting them weigh in themselves, and that the concept is almost always meant to suggest that thinking about film or storytelling beyond a middle-school level of depth and analysis is somehow "doing it wrong."

For example: kopitarrulez essentially posted a giant run-on sentence that can only be read as advocating for lack of thought and/or discernment while watching.

It's weird, because it's pushing the idea that trying to think like a 7th grader is inherently better than thinking like a grownup (which is a false comparison anyway, really) while simultaneously suggesting "thinking like a 7th grader" = "shut your brain right the fuck off."

All of this kind of mental calisthenics to try and convince people that their opinion of a couple movies is somehow wrong, which is a strange endeavor past a certain point anyway.

Ray Wonder

lol. It has a lot of likes. Looks like a lot of people just want to find a reason to hate one of the good parts in a movie they despise. It translated well while I was watching it, and I'm sure if you hyper analyze any movie, stuff like that will become evident. Since it's a movie, and not real life.

Look at Obi-Wan vs Vader. They're standing there smacking each others lightsabers together like two handicapable old men.

rakhir

I agree completely - yeah, they are swinging mostly around their oponents, but man does it look awesome!

I remember that the Phantom Menace game demo came out before the movie, and I would stay in main menus to watch this gif, which was used as a button:

tumblr_m4dgr8Ms2j1ro0pz8o1_500.gif

Only this fight worked for me in the prequels - It had the sam amount of emotional impact as fights in Empire and Jedi.

EDIT: of course someone made a youtube video :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYudNOKklII

Ray Wonder

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

I'm going to do this one a bit different. As I watch the movie, if I see a part that I want to comment on, I'll pause and talk about it.. Each separate part will be in a separate quote... This idea came when I saw the first scene:

"Looks like we were in no danger after all"
*boom*
All right.
*opens browser*
That was one of the single corniest beginnings to a movie I've ever encountered.
I gotta admit, I liked the line Amidala gave Anakin. "You'll always be that little boy from Tatooine". Fuckin got em. (EDIT FROM AFTER I WATCHED: Welp. Fuck me eh?)
Anakin's a little asshole. They couldn't really be more obvious what they're trying to paint him as.
Car chase scene, the purple power coupling shock.. Foreshadowing to when he gets fried by Palpatine?
How did Anakin go from being the starry eyed little boy in EP I to this dude is what I want to know.
That lady's face in the car while Anakin is hanging on (Still the car chase) freaked me the fuck out.
Pahahaha Obi-Wan's rehabilitation center at the bar. "You do not want to sell me death stick, you will go home and read the bible and volunteer at the community center" lol
Why didn't Boba Fett just take out Obi or Anakin instead of the changling he hired? Clearly they didn't see far enough ahead to see that she was about to get darted in the neck.. I'm assuming that's Boba. (EDIT: found out it's Jango Fett)
Amidala - "Seems you've grown up since last time" Anakin - "Obi-Wan won't let me do things, it's not fair!" :( *stomps feet in crybaby temper tantrum*
Wtf is this Yoda? Kindergarten Jedi school? I thought you could only have one Padawan at a time, right Yoda?
3D star chart is super cool
Can Anakin possibly be written to be more horny? Shit's annoying. Every scene with him and Amidala "I think unconditional love is critical to being a Jedi" or "everything here is soft, and smooth" *Rubs on Amidala like a creep*
She already said you make her uncomfortable when you look at her like a horny creep.

Anakin's half of the story is like a soap opera.
Jango Fett and Boba are leading Obi into an asteroid field when Boba laughs.
Laugh it up Boba you get eaten by a Sarlacc.
Ok well I couldn't be a Jedi, because I would have slaughtered all those Tuscan Raiders if I was Anakin. First time I liked Anakin so far.
Nevermind now he's whining about Obi-wan again.

Holy shit, not the kids and shit too. Yeah, the vader music queued was warranted right there. He's going off the deep end.
Why did R2-D2 knock C-3PO off that ledge, and how the fuck is C-3PO so damn agile now? Grabbing on to ledges and being swung around without letting go. Part of his charm is he makes it through all the danger while walking like a perpetual drunk person.

OK now R2 can fly though?

The part where C3PO getting his head switched with the other android was pretty good lol.

I'm digging the execution gladiator action scenes.

Aww shit the Jedis are here.

Yeah, pretty much everything about this part I like. C3PO, Windu and his purple lightsaber, Yoda to the rescue, shooting down that starship was cool..

Dooku saber fight is awesome too, except for the part where they zoom in on both Dooku and Anakin's face and show them flailing the sabers above their heads like goofs. And the setup for Anakin's arm removal. Pretty clunky.

Yoda fights like a beast.

Ok, Anakin and Amidala got married? I don't know what to think about those two. Didn't convince me at all that they were in love. Whatever. This is the least rewarding ending to any of the SW movies yet.

I didn't really like this one. As you can probably tell from above. I can say that was a fairly bad movie. Not enough Jar Jar. I'm joking. Hopefully EP III is better than this.

Heh. The fact you went out of your way to stop the movie at least 15-20 times while on first view says it didn't really grab you all that much.

Ray Wonder

Heh. The fact you went out of your way to stop the movie at least 15-20 times while on first view says it didn't really grab you all that much.

You're right. I even thought about that. Stopping all those times didn't bother me a bit either.

Ray Wonder

It is! Hope you enjoy it more.

The romance scenes are the worst part of Clones. It's just all so awkward.

Yeah, what those scenes taught me is; If a girl tells you that you make her uncomfortable doing something. Do that over and over until she marries you.

Yeah, what those scenes taught me is; If a girl tells you that you make her uncomfortable doing something. Do that over and over until she marries you.

"I mean, on the one hand, he just slaughtered an entire camp full of sentient beings. But I mean, they did kidnap his mom? He kinda felt bad about it, at least. Hey, remember that time he floated a pear into my face? That was pretty cool. Then there was the time he surfed a giant tick and pretended to be dead just to get on top of me. That was romantic, I guess. I don't know. Maybe?

OOOH METAL HAND. FUCKING BOSS"

PsychBat!

Banned
"I mean, on the one hand, he just slaughtered an entire camp full of sentient beings. But I mean, they did kidnap his mom? He kinda felt bad about it, at least. Hey, remember that time he floated a pear into my face? That was pretty cool. Then there was the time he surfed a giant tick and pretended to be dead just to get on top of me. That was romantic, I guess. I don't know. Maybe?

OOOH METAL HAND. FUCKING BOSS"

I'm pretty sure the sand line he gave while touching her won him points.

I'm so amused by your write-up on 2. I knew this one would be interesting to read. Some people claim 1 is the worst but these people are factually wrong and have horrffying taste
(joking)
. I think 2 is clearly the worst by a loooooooongshot and I dont think I've watched it since maybe 2005. Utter trainwreck, and the abomination that is ep2 Anakin is the conductor.

The best version of this movie is this parody, particularly the part that starts at 15:10

Real Hero

Yeah they really tried to make C3PO all floppy and animated like Jar Jar when he's falling about it looked real weird when he's so stiff in every other scene.

That scene where Anakin does the flip onto the bed and double slashes the slugs to save Amidala and then Obi Wan jumps out the window was hilarious.

Ray Wonder

That scene where Anakin does the flip onto the bed and double slashes the slugs to save Amidala and then Obi Wan jumps out the window was hilarious.

I didn't mind the millipede chopping because, hey they can hit laser bullets without looking, but Obi out the window like he was about to say "up up and away" was hilarious.

The best version of this movie is this parody, particularly the part that starts at 15:10

Oh my god, just the recap of Ep I's parody video had me rolling. I have to wait until I'm done watching III before I go looking for all the parodies though. I'll check it out for sure.

Nevermind, I'm watching it. This is hilarious. "We'll see about that... mmmmmm."

Toxi

Banned
Attack of the Clones is by far the worst of the prequels. Visually it's easily the worst, being in an awkward place between Episode 1 with its superior practical effects and Episode 3 with its superior CGI. So there's tons of CGI compared to Episode 1, but the CGI is horrible compared to Episode 3's. Not to mention the art design is just bad compared to the other two prequels: Outside of the Jedi starfighter and the AT-TE, I find every new vehicle design incredibly ugly. I find most of the movie really ugly.

The sound design is still top-notch though. <3 the asteroid battle sounds. Also Jango Fett was way cooler than his son ever was.

Oh my god, just the recap of Ep I's parody video had me rolling. I have to wait until I'm done watching III before I go looking for all the parodies though. I'll check it out for sure.

Nevermind, I'm watching it. This is hilarious. "We'll see about that... mmmmmm."

Hey youve already seen 2 so go for it. But no cheating! Watch 3 for real before watching any parodies of it. Definitely seek out ep1, too. I think their parodies are 1-4.

And dont get too sidetracked to watch The Clone Wars series. It's the best thing to come out of the prequel era.

Attack of the Clones is by far the worst of the prequels. Visually it's easily the worst, being in an awkward place between Episode 1 with its superior practical effects and Episode 3 with its superior CGI. So there's tons of CGI compared to Episode 1, but the CGI is horrible compared to Episode 3's. Not to mention the art design is just bad compared to the other two prequels: Outside of the Jedi starfighter and the AT-TE, I find every new vehicle design incredibly ugly. I find most of the movie really ugly.

The sound design is still top-notch though. <3 the asteroid battle sounds. Also Jango Fett was way cooler than his son ever was.

Slave 1 sounded so good. All six films sound great.

Ray Wonder

Hey youve already seen 2 so go for it. But no cheating! Watch 3 for real before watching any parodies of it. Definitely seek out ep1, too. I think their parodies are 1-4.

And dont get too sidetracked to watch The Clone Wars series. It's the best thing to come out of the prequel era.

That was one of the funniest videos I have ever seen. I enjoyed that 100x more than the movie.

SickBoy

I'm going to save my fuller thoughts on the whole prequel trilogy until after Ray's done Ep. 3, because I realized that I might wind up referencing Ep. 3 stuff...

But a few thoughts:

1) I'll never understand the pod race scene. People seem to love it, but it's sooo long and so predictable. Isn't extended in the home releases? I can't even...

2) It always seemed a little unnecessary for R2 and C3PO to be in the prequels (yes, I know, Greek chorus!). Even more, I find Darth Vader is also C3PO's father entirely goofy (as I do the too-badass R2D2)

3) When I was watching them as they were released, I remember every episode came with supporters who stated "they got it right on this one." I felt like Ep. 2 lived up to my expectations the most, even though it's a mess and it has a lot of terrible stuff in it. I don't know what that means. But I also haven't seen it in some time now.

eot

Banned
I detest what became of the lightsaber battles in the prequel trilogy. That being said, the three way at the end of episode 1 is still very good. It doesn't quite stand up to the fights in Empire and ROTJ, but it managed to me make emotionally engaged at the end and there are some great moments of suspense starting with the hallway barriers. The choreography, while more active than the OT, doesn't quite get to the levels of the flippy, flashy, oh look how cool we are bullshit of episodes 2 and 3. I like how Maul integrates some martial arts into his fight style. Also, at least it looks like these guys are actually trying to hit each other.

Eh, the coreography is pretty stupid for large parts of the Ep1 fight as well, but I'll agree that it's better than what would follow. The guy playing Darth Maul is pretty athletic and it shows. The lightsaber wankery in the other two movies is my least favourite part of them. People say the clone wars cartoon is good, but when I see snippets of it it's just full of more of that shit. Even lightsabers can't make over the top nonsense acrobatic fighting interesting.

Toxi

Banned
1) I'll never understand the pod race scene. People seem to love it, but it's sooo long and so predictable. Isn't extended in the home releases? I can't even...
Really nice special effects and sound work, and I personally feel it had an emotional core that most of the Phantom Menace is missing. Yeah, it's a simple story we've all seen before, the underdog kid winning the match for his freedom against all odds, but that simple story's stakes for the characters mattered a lot more than, say, the stakes of the Darth Maul battle (awesome though it may have been).

I almost feel like Episode 1 would have been a better movie if it just ditched all the Trade Federation and was just a cheesy sports movie about Anakin becoming an amazing pod racer and winning his freedom so he could become a Jedi.

I always think it's weird whenever Lucas and co. are like "Nono the prequels are kids' movies" for one as if that means they're above all criticism (unless you want to be like "Yeah Foodfight is great, who cares, it's for kids!") and two as if they're not way more violent than the originals. Revenge of the Sith is rated PG-13, like come on.

RobbieNick

He's right. If I remember correctly from reading "The making of Star Wars" In Lucas's original background stories for book writers back in '78 or '79 he wrote that C-3P0 had been on adventures for about 200 years and was re-assembled at one point by a small boy.

A lot of the stuff for the prequels George had in his head for a long time. The original draft of Star Wars had a hero named Anakin and there was a Jedi named Mace Windu as well.

Yeah, that's basically how I am.

Not that I think it matters but if it's relevant, I started with the OT. I'm not a prequels first kid.

EDIT: To the above, I think it's best to just agree to disagree here.
I grew up with the prequel trilogy I watched the originals way back when but was too little now I understand now the OT is always superior I just hope 7 recaptures the magic but I think it will.
On a side note was at a store yesterday and a kid no older than 12 was rattling off all this info about the new film to his mom and I just stood there amazed 10 years since the last film and the hype is back.

BFIB

Ray, you saw Anakin at his worst written. The good news is Episode III is way better.

However, if you are heavily invested in the overall arc, I'd highly recommend watching the Clone Wars series. It really builds Anakins character, because the way he's written in Episode III is jarring after his whiny self in Ep II.

PBalfredo

I'm so amused by your write-up on 2. I knew this one would be interesting to read. Some people claim 1 is the worst but these people are factually wrong and have horrffying taste
(joking)
. I think 2 is clearly the worst by a loooooooongshot and I dont think I've watched it since maybe 2005. Utter trainwreck, and the abomination that is ep2 Anakin is the conductor.

Anakin and Obi-Wan have a more believable friendship established in the first few minutes of this parody than they do in all of Episode II.

Eh, the coreography is pretty stupid for large parts of the Ep1 fight as well, but I'll agree that it's better than what would follow. The guy playing Darth Maul is pretty athletic and it shows. The lightsaber wankery in the other two movies is my least favourite part of them. People say the clone wars cartoon is good, but when I see snippets of it it's just full of more of that shit. Even lightsabers can't make over the top nonsense acrobatic fighting interesting.

I hope episode 7 goes back to the better choreographed fights of the original trilogy. Maybe a mix of prequels and OT (with a little more on the OT side) would work.

Ray Wonder

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

This movie came a long way from Episode II's failed, cringeworthy jokes and acting. Anakin is SO MUCH BETTER in this one. He seems like he's actually comfortable with the people around him.. Him, Obi, and Padme have so much more chemistry. Much more convincing acting from every one of them. That little bit extra really went a long way. Even at the very beginning, while they were trying to rescue Palpatine, the way Obi and Anakin interacted was a sigh of relief. I found myself chuckling at R2, early. It was some of the best R2 in Star Wars, IMO.

The CG is way, way better as well. Everything looked not only acceptable, but good. They made it well enough that 10 years didn't age it too much. I found myself looking at things more like "wow that looks pretty damn cool" rather than it distracting me from watching the movie like Episode I & II did.

The saber fights in this were great. Grievous not only looks badass by himself, but with four lightsabers? Fuck yeah. I dig him.

This movie moves along well, always something being done, and always some kind of action. It helps a lot that 50% of it isn't horny Anakin having temper tantrums, and trying to get in Padme's pants.

Forgetting how they ended up together.. The story of Anakin learning the darkside to save Padme makes me like Anakin a lot more than what I thought was going to happen. In Episode II, I was under the impression he was just a dickhead, and would slowly turn without some noble motivation.

This movie was very successful at making me hate Palpatine. Extremely successful. Order 66 really had me feeling some type of way. All those Jedi. All the wookies. Killing the Jedi younglings. Holy shit yo.

Yoda vs Palpatine: I didn't like as much as I wanted to. I wanted it to be more of an all out war between them. It was just some floaty chair throwing, and DBZ kamehameha power battles. Sorta disappointing, when compared to everything else.

Now Obi-Wan vs Anakin. That was fucking awesome. Anakin losing his mind to hurt Padme. That really pushed the point of how far gone he was. The fighting was great too. Floating over lava, swinging off of shit while battling. Felt big. The cockiness of Anakin leading to him disobeying Obi, and attempting to attack him on high ground. Felt right. Didn't feel forced like a lot of PT parts. And oh my god was I happy to see Obi win that fight. I liked Obi's character.

The whole cut back and forth from Padme giving birth, and Vader being constructed. That was sick. Vader raising up through the smoke with the music playing gave me a bit of the chills. I really liked how they handled that.

Vader "NOOOOOO" lol

I can understand not liking Ep I & II, but III? This has got to be one of my favorites.

I guess it's time to rank them from most favorite to least. I'm probably gonna break some hearts here.

1. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
  2. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  3. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope
  5. Episode I: The Phantom Menace
  6. Episode II: Attack of The Clones

I really do believe there are 4 great Star Wars movies.

I'm going to watch the animated series, but I won't update this as often. Maybe after each season. This has been an awesome experience, that I'm very happy I went through with. Star Wars has always been something that I've looked from the outside, and thought "That looks pretty damn cool", but was deterred by the OT being old, spoiler ridden movies, as well as all 6 being pretty long movies. After these 6, I genuinely am a fan now. Thanks for coming along my little journey with me! Let me know what you think of my order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom