• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAAAN Play-Yan ROCKS where have I been?

no..

too expensive, and then I'll have to buy a decent Memory stick, then I'll have to be careful with it.

no thanks...

I'll buy a PSP if its white, and there's a game that I REALLY have to get..

Play-Yan is awesome. I watched my movies and listen to my music on it regularly. It's very handy and extremely easy to use. Fuck the haters. This little thing is where it's at. The resolution of the video playback is surprisingly clear.

Belfast

evilromero said:
Play-Yan is awesome. I watched my movies and listen to my music on it regularly. It's very handy and extremely easy to use. Fuck the haters. This little thing is where it's at. The resolution of the video playback is surprisingly clear.

Yeah, it sure is the thing until you use your PSP for the same stuff.

aoi tsuki

Belfast said:
Yeah, it sure is the thing until you use your PSP for the same stuff.
To be fair, SD cards are far cheaper than MS Duos, and more versatile. The Play Yan would be a nice compliment to the SP or Micro, but the import price is too high to make it worthwhile, especially for music when you can get a flash-based MP3 player for about the same price.

demi

Sometimes I hate being a nintendo fan

I saw these 3 fat kids hounding around the games at the store last night like "omg get zelda wow zelda, no get metroid wow"

I couldn't believe it. Wow.

Drinky better have a way to trap some more NFans

Apenheul

Micro + Play-Yan bundle would be great, as long as it's small. I bought a cheap MP3 player (from Sony) last week even though I have a PSP.

Jeff-DSA

Yeah, the Play-Yan is pretty great. I have enjoyed mine, but it still takes a back seat to my iPod and portable DVD player.

Getting stuff going on the Play-Yan is much better than dealing with the PSP conversion software as well. I'm a little pissed that Sony made it look like running movies of the Duo was so easy and slick when they demonstated it, but they never ****ing released an official software. The PSP memory stick doesn't even create a movies folder for you when you reformat the stick.

Top it all off with the fact that SD cards are cheaper and more versatile and you can see why the Play-Yan is so attractive. A version 2.0 should be released here in the States along with the Micro, but we'll see if that happens or not.

Amir0x

Banned
The Play-Yan video playback is a god-damned joke for anyone who is even remotely serious for viewing quality images. Seriously, anyone who uses THAT monstrosity to watch videos does not deserve a place in discussing portable movie products.

Music playback is another topic.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's a neat little thing if they bundle it with the Micro here in the states, or offer a cheap Micro/Play-Yan bundle. But I wouldn't pay $80 for a set of features I barely even use on my PSP.

The interface, however, sounds like a hoot!

Sho Nuff

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Getting stuff going on the Play-Yan is much better than dealing with the PSP conversion software as well. I'm a little pissed that Sony made it look like running movies of the Duo was so easy and slick when they demonstated it, but they never ****ing released an official software. The PSP memory stick doesn't even create a movies folder for you when you reformat the stick.

PSP Video 9 >>>>> Mediastage (which costs extra when you buy a Play-yan). That software is bloated, confusing crap. Is there a freeware solution for Play-yan video conversion yet?

Ponn

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
PSP Video 9 >>>>> Mediastage (which costs extra when you buy a Play-yan). That software is bloated, confusing crap. Is there a freeware solution for Play-yan video conversion yet?

Man i'm still using 3GP converter. This is how hard it is with that.

step 1) double click icon

step 2) drag and drop file I want converted into window

step3) converts

step4) drag to memory stick, watch, enjoy

Amir0x

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Man i'm still using 3GP converter. This is how hard it is with that.

step 1) double click icon

step 2) drag and drop file I want converted into window

step3) converts

step4) drag to memory stick, watch, enjoy

You skipped a step. You have to select a decent configuration.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I used to use PSP Video 9 and found it to be a complete piece of shit too. I now use a heavily customized configuration in 3GP Converter.

Converting files using MediaStage is a snap. I would hope people aren't confused by the software. Maybe you failed to see the little button on the right-hand corner that reads Convert.

*I'm not intending to compare to the PSP Video soft, since I have yet to use it.

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
You skipped a step. You have to select a decent configuration.

I leave it on 29.7 fps QB4. It automatically starts there. The degradation in quality vs. size is too great on any other setting and is perfect there. If I can't get a movie on my stick at that size then I forget it, which so far hasn't been any.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm still surprised Nintendo isn't releasing a DS upgrade to the Play Yan. The Play Yan can be kept in the GBA slot to provide memory card access, but a DS card actually provides updated software taking advantage of the DS's slightly higher resolution display, better quality sound, and faster processor.

It should be relatively simple to make.

cvxfreak

How big the Play yan relative to the Micro? The Micro is undoubtedly small and if I buy the Play Yan, I don't want it to make it bigger than it should be.

CVXFREAK said:
How big the Play yan relative to the Micro? The Micro is undoubtedly small and if I buy the Play Yan, I don't want it to make it bigger than it should be.

It sticks out the bottom of the unit by about 1cm. It sticks out the bottom of the SP about the same (obviously, seeing as the cart slot is the same size). I was surprised. You can barely notice that it's there.

hooo

boooy
Li Mu Bai said:
Play-yan should be shipping bundled with the Micro over the holidays.

Only if Nintendo wants a huge hit on their hands, and we all know they have no interest in that...

WindyMan

Here's my review of Play-Yan. You can also find where to get other programs to encode the video for it (via Lik-Sang's forums):

http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviews.cfm?action=hwprofile&id=606

My opinion of it is that it's awesome. The video is great on a DS, and MP3s sound just fine through headphones. I just wish I still had my SP to use it as a more convienent music player. I probably will wind up getting a Micro to have a super-small MP3 player.

Amir0x

Banned
Watching video with Play Yan is outright atrocious and should not be considered a viable option unless you're just ass poor and can find no alternative for that particular needs. The artifacting, as you mention in your very "review", is much worse than you let on, and saying "It looks almost as good on the small screen as it did the first time I saw it on a computer monitor" is of particular interest, since for one you don't define the variables for which you saw a video on your computer for the first time and two the videos don't even fucking approach the quality of any even decent computer. Standards need to be set much higher, people. This shit is NOT acceptable.

As for music, I agree with you for the most part.

From what I gather you can now get pretty acceptable video encoding with custom variable bitrates (Mpeg 4 ASF) using 3gpp and your own profile, whereas the packaged MediaStage software (which is Japanese by the way, you have to change your OS region to get it to work) only encodes at three different quality levels. Theres an ini file for 3gpp on the liksang forum.

People haven't quite figured out G.726 audio at 40kbps though. Anything above 32 seems to be scrambling - even at the PC end. Perhaps there's a codec problem somewhere. Some of them are getting sync problems but that's probably because the profile on the forums only has 23fps options, not 25 / 29.97 etc. That's whats unacceptable to me about it at the moment: the audio when watching a video...

if this gets fixed (ie worked around) I'm interested. The price on Lik Sang only equates to £40. That's £10 more than a game. I have SD cards already, and they're getting cheaper all the time.

hooo

boooy
Li Mu Bai said:
This was already mentioned by Nintendo at E3 afaik.
I know that they mentioned it, but there are plenty of other threads that show them ignoring anything that seems like common sense to the wishful gamer.

For example, they most definitely won't bundle if they think they can sell all their micro's they can produce without it. Why further cut into the profit margin if demand is already there for a product at the higher price point?

Top Bottom