• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if it has been posted, but here's Totalbiscuit discussing the low critic score vs high consumer score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJANS0VTpbY

I bought the game today despite the critic reviews, mostly due to Reddit and all the GIFs I've seen posted, Mad Max just seemed so fun even time I saw it so I grabbed it. I haven't tried it yet though, I'm trying to finish Witcher III first.

Irobot82

It's to stop other factions from coming and trying to take those camps back, due to their value. Remove the pumps and transfer equipment from the equation and their main value is gone. All you're left with is just a settlement. I can't remember when exactly, but I think Chumbucket explains that at some point. Might be one of his random comments while driving around.

Ok. It was a bit perplexing. I mean why would other want to move back in when it has no value either. lol...game mechanics.

Ok I was loving the game until the races and the stank gun race wtf what is it with these forced races for main missions the cars handle like shit even with upgrades why make it painful for us

Aranath

Ok. It was a bit perplexing. I mean why would other want to move back in when it has no value either. lol...game mechanics.

I guess the regular Wastelanders don't have a need for fuel on an industrial scale, but shelter and protection. The warring factions have fleets of vehicles to fuel and maintain. Regular folks are just trying to stay alive. The strongholds seem to be adequate enough to provide fuel for that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't paid for a full price PC game in years, from my experience CDkeys, CJSKeys and Games Planet are all legit as I've never had an issue with them. I do avoid G2A though as they've had some issues in the past.

Finish the story last night, but still got a long list of side objects to complete.
I give it 6 dud shotgun shells out of 5 boomerangs to the head.

My biggest issue about the game is that Fury Road was the main focus and inspiration, wish Avalanche would have used more assets from the first 3 films.

Thunderdome could have be introduce in a story mission, but then allow you to take part in fights to earn scrap or other unlocks. Also Bartertown could have been used has a hub environment.
Motorcycle gangs like Toecutter and Rock Riders.
More variation of enemies and their vehicle.
Shotgun used to intimidated

psychotron

I'm really hooked by this game. Im spending a lot of time on side quests. Had my first frame rate tank while invading an enemy stronghold. It eventually evened out, but was really choppy for a bit.

jediyoshi

I haven't paid for a full price PC game in years, from my experience CDkeys, CJSKeys and Games Planet are all legit as I've never had an issue with them. I do avoid G2A though as they've had some issues in the past.

But they're not legit in the sense that they're not actually authorized redistributors.

I'm really hooked by this game. Im spending a lot of time on side quests. Had my first frame rate tank while invading an enemy stronghold. It eventually evened out, but was really choppy for a bit.

Had my first one of these last night too in a canyon while destroying a convoy. Again, flattened out after a bit, but was choppy for a while.

M.W.

Got to Pink Eyes (right name?) territory last night. Didn't notice any frame rate issues. I'm on PS4 btw.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
But they're not legit in the sense that they're not actually authorized redistributors.

Legit as in you'll get a working key that won't have any issues in the future. If you want to pay 3 - 4x the price for games good for you, but I can't afford that, and as I said, I've never once had an issue.

I wasn't planning to play Max yet, but I'm having serious performance issues in both Dying Light and Witcher III so thought my PC was shitting the bed but Mad Max runs MAXED, sorry, with no hitching, stuttering or drops. So now I'm trying to find out if W3 and DL have issues on Windows 10. I can instantly tell this is going to be my type of game, but I don't plan to start it properly until Witcher is done.

I'll hit random patches of slowdown on the PS4 version every now and then, but they never last more than 15 seconds or so and they're fairly infrequent (maybe once every four hours of play). I've encountered other bugs but I think most of them are related to having the game suspending or running for too long without closing it. Yesterday the audio glitched out (all dialog, combat and explosion sounds were muted) and I had to restart the application to fix it. That was by far the worst bug I've encountered. There are several minor issues that pop up but none of them have detracted from my experience.

Anteater

leaving the game on for too long in the background (alt-tab) will fuck the game up for me too on pc, I usually go into window mode if I have to multitask now, not sure if that helps since I don't leave it on for too long lately

also it seems that RTSS now crashes the game for no reason when it works previously :(

Sometimes fraudulently acquired keys make their way to unauthorized resellers, which can lead to the publisher revoking said keys leaving unlucky customers with few feasible ways of getting their money back.
Normally the key sellers don't care. G2A provided insurance that you could buy with extra money, but it doesn't do anything.

Me neither, but there are many safer ways to save money. I bought my copy of Mad Max off nuuvem, when it was 79.99 Brazilian reals.

mujun

Anybody else' Storm Shelter camp glitch?

I've destroyed all five tanks but it won't pop.

Frustrating!

I hope it doesn't stop me from completing main quests or anything like that.

Anybody else' Storm Shelter camp glitch?

I've destroyed all five tanks but it won't pop.

Frustrating!

I hope it doesn't stop me from completing main quests or anything like that.

Did that last night actually, just before I bailed. No problems for me though (PS4).

mujun

Did that last night actually, just before I bailed. No problems for me though (PS4).

Glad it worked for you!

I'm also on PS4. I've walked through the base about 20 times now :(

I made sure that I'd hit every tank by watching a walkthrough vid. Also no red circles on the map.

I'm worried it's going to affect my Gutgash missions.

I'll hit random patches of slowdown on the PS4 version every now and then, but they never last more than 15 seconds or so and they're fairly infrequent (maybe once every four hours of play). I've encountered other bugs but I think most of them are related to having the game suspending or running for too long without closing it. Yesterday the audio glitched out (all dialog, combat and explosion sounds were muted) and I had to restart the application to fix it. That was by far the worst bug I've encountered. There are several minor issues that pop up but none of them have detracted from my experience.

its more frequent in gas town

KAP151

Well, im all done.

Wrapped up the story last night now just mopping up some minor things. WHY do developers use odd number for achievements. Now ive got to find a one that ends in a 2 just to round my score out again. Grrr.

Overall, i was pretty damned impressed. A few framerate, map glitches and sound issues aside, it was a solid ride.

Great atmosphere, solid visuals and satisfying fighting.

Negatives:
Some upgrades are all but useless, why give me a lvl 3 upgrade when I got the lvl 5 upgrade days ago?
The bosses or top dogs are pretty much rinse and repeat. Watch for the icon, roll and combo.
The last boss fight was pretty underwhelming.
No New Game +. Once your done, there are no patrols or bad guys left. Its pretty much an empty world now. Very shitty of them.

At least you get the Black on black Interceptor, leather jacket and your shotty return when you finish
.Nice.

Rizzi

Cars all handle like shit.
Races are fucking terrible.
Hitting the barrels in the barrel bash causes your car to fucking spin. Great idea.

So the combat. I get that they wanted to go for something like freeflow, but Jesus Christ did they miss the mark by a huge margin.

It's nowhere near as responsive, enemies seem to have much more flexibility in terms of how quickly they can attack and chain together attacks and the counter mechanic is just a mess with how it's impossible to counter some attacks due to being in a flow of trying to attack one enemy.

It's a mess. They really needed to spend more time on this or just gone in a different direction. Freeflow is a good system, but Avalanche seem to have completely failed to understand why it works so well in Batman.

heringer

So the combat. I get that they wanted to go for something like freeflow, but Jesus Christ did they miss the mark by a huge margin.

It's nowhere near as responsive, enemies seem to have much more flexibility in terms of how quickly they can attack and chain together attacks and the counter mechanic is just a mess with how it's impossible to counter some attacks due to being in a flow of trying to attack one enemy.

It's a mess. They really needed to spend more time on this or just gone in a different direction. Freeflow is a good system, but Avalanche seem to have completely failed to understand why it works so well in Batman.

I disagree. Making the player commit to an action is much more satisfying to me, because it adds another layer of tactics and positioning to the combat. Parry is not fail proof unless you know what you are doing. It's not a win button.

MacBosse

Just got to Pink Eye. Guess I'll build up a stronghold for the third time...

Haha yeah I know the feeling. I have to force myself not to do too many of those so I don't get fatigued on the game before it finishes.

I get what you're saying but I'm feeling the combat system as more challenging and brutal if you make mistakes. Batman was for me way too easy in combat so I kinda like the harsher timings and such in this. Could it be better? Ofcourse, but I enjoy it.

Now what I REALLY don't like is the stronghold architecture. Not the aesthetics mind you, but the layout of the project. No Avalanche, it is not fun to run around in small mazes looking for the right ghostly object so I can build my project I was working on ... Not fun at all.

Rizzi

Go drive this truck in to the subway tunnels. It turns like shit. Spend like half an hour bouncing off walls trying to actually get around. Push down a roadblock. Truck won't fit through. Get out of the truck and step on the piece of debris that was blocking the path, the physics freak the fuck out and it kills me.
Respawn at Jeet's stronghold.
Fuck this game. Fuck it to death.

Overdoziz

Banned
Haha yeah I know the feeling. I have to force myself not to do too many of those so I don't get fatigued on the game before it finishes.
I would've really preferred it if there was only a single stronghold and you had to build that up (at a slower pace and more in-depth). I just finished building up Jeet's stronghold only for the game to tell me to start from scratch again two dunes over. Decided to just not bother with the stronghold at all and just focused on the story missions. Now there's a third area that again is exactly the same in setup so I guess I'll just skip most of it as well.I was actually enjoying most of stuff in the first area, but having to repeat the same process over and over gets really tiring.

Also, the story is pretty much "mah V8" up to this point.

Shari

This game doesn't let you select on which display you want to output and MGSV doesn't let you choose audio output.

Lol.

so i need some help

for some reason i can't get some of the balloons to work for me, they say they are out of gas and when i take fuel over to the thing with the funnel on top it doesn't give me the prompt to refuel it

so i need some help

for some reason i can't get some of the balloons to work for me, they say they are out of gas and when i take fuel over to the thing with the funnel on top it doesn't give me the prompt to refuel it

You've got to refuel the balloon itself like so:

mad-max-balloon1.jpg

oh you have to do it at the balloon it's self i figured you needed to do it on the one with the funnel

well i feel dumb

Don't. In some cases you actually have to fuel the generator. Other than that, for some people the prompt won't show up when standing in front of the fuel pouch. It's either bugged out or the region where it registers the player is very small.

Don't. In some cases you actually have to fuel the generator. Other than that, for some people the prompt won't show up when standing in front of the fuel pouch. It's either bugged out or the region where it registers the player is very small.

thank for the help, if it's would you happen to know where in the Dry Gustie the last Camp is? i assume it's the buzzard lair that's listed on the map but i couldn't find the entrance

system11

That's good to hear. Maybe it is some random memory leak. Hope it gets patched.

Yeah I've seen it a few times but also driven through those same conditions at other times without issue - so it doesn't seem specifically like an overload on what's being drawn.

Love this game. I'm trying to spread my time around between side quests, location harvesting and story.

autoduelist

As much as i love this game, I really wish it was 10x harder and far more focused on survival. I feel godlike both in and out of the Magnum Opus, and I'm still in the first half of the game. It's extremely fun in a 'modern open world' way, and I absolutely love the setting and taking out vehicles, but i want far more challenge... I understand why they went for 'fun' over 'challenge' for a AAA release, though.

Legit as in you'll get a working key that won't have any issues in the future. If you want to pay 3 - 4x the price for games good for you, but I can't afford that, and as I said, I've never once had an issue.

The issue with black market keys isn't so much whether you'll get a working key, but whether the dev gets paid proper. Sort of like people buying/selling review keys -- sure, the key works so it's 'legit' by your definition, but from an ethical perspective it's jacked. The people buying often have no idea they're buying review keys... they just know they're getting them dirt cheap from unauthorized resellers.

Cars all handle like shit.
Races are fucking terrible.
Hitting the barrels in the barrel bash causes your car to fucking spin. Great idea.

Slow down before you hit them? You're hitting explosive barrels... hitting them full speed in a smaller vehicle = bad idea.

That said, yes, they're not the best part of the game.

Cars handle fine in my opinion, once you get used to the game. Unless they're missing tires, obviously.

Fjordson

I'm still very early on (only done like 5 missions) but I'm not a huge fan of the car handling. It's not too bad though, not enough to take the fun out of driving.

Top Bottom