• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we'll see cards that can meld with multiple other cards? For instance there might be an "Emrakul Scion" subtype and cards that meld when paired with any Emrakul Scion.

That assumes Hanweir isn't a meld card.

Looking at the wording on Graf Rats, if only one card was brought back to the battlefield, I don't think "meld" would be necessary, and Midnight Scavengers wouldn't have a frame that indicates it can transform. The former would just say to exile both cards then return Graf Rats transformed. There probably is something weird going on with the back of the cards, which we don't see with Hanweir.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Looking at the wording on Graf Rats, if only one card was brought back to the battlefield, I don't think "meld" would be necessary, and Midnight Scavengers wouldn't have a frame that indicates it can transform. The former would just say to exile both cards then return Graf Rats transformed. There probably is something weird going on with the back of the cards, which we don't see with Hanweir.

Like I said, I'd have to see the back before I could say. There's not really enough to go on with the front to know how it actually works.

El Topo

This is a cool card. I'm actually kind of surprised that they've never done a one-shot Pod type effect like this before.

Tutor effects are problematic and they probably just don't want to throw too many around. It's not as if they make many of them in the first place. Natural Order also feels close enough to a Pod effect, or a bit of a mix of Pod and Green Sun Zenith.

That assumes Hanweir isn't a meld card.

a) The fact that these cards use a new keyword action meld that refers to both, not just one, pretty much establishes that the result can't just be the isolated backside of one of the two cards, buuuut

b) It could actually still be possible that Hanweir is the resulting giant-size card of two other cards melded?

Like I said, I'd have to see the back before I could say. There's not really enough to go on with the front to know how it actually works.

That's what people said about {C} too but it was possible to reason out 100% accurately how that mechanic worked just from seeing Twozilek.

Tutor effects are problematic and they probably just don't want to throw too many around.

Yeah but a one-shot one is safer than a repeatable one!

kirblar

a) The fact that these cards use a new keyword action meld that refers to both, not just one, pretty much establishes that the result can't just be the isolated backside of one of the two cards, buuuut

b) It could actually still be possible that Hanweir is the resulting giant-size card of two other cards melded?
THATS WHY IT HAS HASTE

Yeef

The nice thing about meld as an execution (instead of the pure BFM style) is that the individual cards you get can still be played, and maybe even worthwhile, even if you can't meld them. Graf Rats is a 2/1 for 2 which can be playable in black; Midnight Scavengers is a 3/3 with Raise Dead which you might want anyway. The rares and mythics could easily be designed to be playable even if you don't meld them.
Yeah, but then it looses it's oomph. I can't imagine Brusela not being a meld card, but I'd also be surprised if they hadn't found a way to make that work in limited. Perhaps the printing tech has gotten to the point where they can guarantee two cards showing up in the same pack (though that has its own problems).

Whatever the case, I feel like we'll find out tomorrow. I imagine they'll showcase meld with a splashy card and Gisuna fits that role pretty well.

THATS WHY IT HAS HASTE

ho shits

Yeah, but then it looses it's oomph. I can't imagine Brusela not being a meld card, but I'd also be surprised if they hadn't found a way to make that work in limited.

I mean, they did find a way to make it work in limited

this is that way

Perhaps the printing tech has gotten to the point where they can guarantee two cards showing up in the same pack (though that has its own problems).

100% guarantee this hasn't happened.

Okay, so i will say the one issue with Hanweir being a melded card is that it's got card info printed on it that looks like it would on a single card -- I don't know how it would look on a melded card, but presumably different.

Daedardus

Isn't there this Yu-gi-Oh card that can be folded out three times or so? I wonder how many years it will take before Magic starts doing that too.
My guess is another 12 years.

Okay, so i will say the one issue with Hanweir being a melded card is that it's got card info printed on it that looks like it would on a single card -- I don't know how it would look on a melded card, but presumably different.

Maybe they don't make a difference for webshots of the card for easier handling on the internet?

Isn't there this Yu-gi-Oh card that can be folded out three times or so?

That's a Duel Masters triple-sided card, so yeah, almost inevitable really.

Maybe they don't make a difference for webshots of the card for easier handling on the internet?

Yeah, that wasn't meant as proof it definitely isn't, just wanted to note it's the one thing that seems to point in the other direction.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Went 3-4 drop at GP Taipei. I was going to draw in round 7, but my friend had just lost his 4th, and we were very tired, so I conceded and left. Played alot of RW Humans and Abzan actually. I know GW Tokens was a third of the field but I never played against it, in the Trials on Friday or the main event. Then I played in two Modern events with BW Tokens on Sunday. Single elimination. First event, I Inquisition my opponent on the draw after they played a Bird. See lands, a Siege Rhino, and Avacyn. Turns out Rhino is really good against Souls. Game 2 I drop two Bitterblossoms, can't find any life gain and die to two Rhinos. Next event I play Tron, which is an almost unwinnable matchup for Tokens. I'm going to a WMCQ in two weeks, I think I'll play Burn and actually have a chance of winning a match.

Daedardus

Confused it for Duel Monsters, thanks for the reminder. That reminds me actually of the Level up mechanic of ROE, really liked that one in Limited. Then again, the ROE Limited was actually pretty good, one of the most enjoyable limited environments I played in. How I long to do another draft, but the price of booster boxes is sadly not worth it. That's the biggest shame of Magic, once it goes out of print it's gone forever.

As an engineer, I actually wonder what very flexible printing (one where the setup costs and time are neglible) would do for Magic as a game. They could just print older stuff again for some event and increase the supply of certain cards solely by reprinting the whole set. I don't think if they would actually do this even it were possible, since it cannabalises their current set sales. But it's still an interesting thought experiment.

OnPoint

There were several denialists. They sort of... faded away, but early on some did not believe in Electric Boogaloo 2: The Eldrazening.

EDIT: Also, lol Reddit.

Can't speak for everyone here but I know I partially was playing devil's advocate, partially hoping for that less than 5% chance it wasn't Emrakul. Truthfully the evidence was too big a pile to deny, and I knew it even at the time, but what fun is it if everyone agrees all of the time? That said, I'm fine with the story.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i hoped that it wouldn't actually just be emrakul because i'm kind of over the eldrazi.

but it's just emrakul, big silly card and all. oh well.

ultron87

It'd have been cool if it had been Emrakul, but appearing as a different form on Innistrad because of magic reasons but the big tentacle monster is fine too.

OnPoint

i hoped that it wouldn't actually just be emrakul because i'm kind of over the eldrazi.

but it's just emrakul, big silly card and all. oh well.

That's a big part of it. I was so sick of the eldrazi. And I really kinda wanted them to somehow expand upon the Marit Lage stuff with Cthulu nonsense. But I like how they're going about this right now. These do feel pretty different from what we've seen in the past and play up the horror aspect well so far.

y2dvd

Eww at Eldtrich Evolution. Green already too good. It just got better.

BG Elves can do dirty things in EMA. Timberwatch Elf, Lys Alana Huntmaster, Wirewood Symbiote, Shaman of the Pack loop and throw Blood Artist on top. #_#

Some of these foil uncommons jumps up so much in price. Opened a foil Pyroblast and pleased to learn it's about $45.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ho shits

I mean, they did find a way to make it work in limited

this is that way

100% guarantee this hasn't happened.
I'm skeptical about this giant sized card. I'm not sure why it wouldn't just be one regular sized card.

Haines

Banned
Looking forward to spoilers.

Unsure if I'll play at all tho. Time and money is too limited these days.

Meld seems neat

I'm kind of meh on Eldrazi, but Emrakul looks like a fun time, might build a deck just for shits and giggles.

I've already decided I'm building a mono white soldier deck though, I had one years ago and lost it :(

I'm skeptical about this giant sized card. I'm not sure why it wouldn't just be one regular sized card.

Because that's aesthetically hideous? I mean... if you're going to make things that require two different cards to transform, why wouldn't you use the backs of both? It's cooler, it makes it easier to tell these cards from other DFCs, it has better symmetry and aesthetics, and it explains why these cards require two different fronts to flip -- plus, in this case, the flavor is literally that two different creatures merge together, so having their two cards become one supports that better. Doing it the way you're saying is like such a "just use kicker for everything" pitch.

It'll be difficult getting both halves of the meld cards in limited, won't it?

That's exactly why the mechanic works this way. If it were classic BFM style, if you only have one card it's a blank. This way, each card has a front side that you can play on its own even if you can't meld them. In this case, it's a 2/1 for 2 in black (not unplayable) and a 3/3 with a raise dead (definitely something you'd run in some cases) so you can just treat them as single-faced cards if you can't draft or open both.

ultron87

I really liked Assemble the Legion as a win condition. The slow ticking up of tokens was entertaining. Especially against the Supreme Verdict decks of that period.

I just felt like getting that out there.

Because that's aesthetically hideous? I mean... if you're going to make things that require two different cards to transform, why wouldn't you use the backs of both? It's cooler, it makes it easier to tell these cards from other DFCs, it has better symmetry and aesthetics, and it explains why these cards require two different fronts to flip -- plus, in this case, the flavor is literally that two different creatures merge together, so having their two cards become one supports that better.
If it's anything like the test cards, having it split over two cards would look hideous. I think sticking to a normal single back will be easier to play with and it will look better.

OnPoint

I really liked Assemble the Legion as a win condition. The slow ticking up of tokens was entertaining. Especially against the Supreme Verdict decks of that period.

I just felt like getting that out there.

Yo that card was awesome. RTR block did have some really fun stuff. Progenitor Mimic, oh how I miss you.

If it's anything like the test cards, having it split over two cards would look hideous. I think sticking to a normal single back will be easier to play with and it will look better.

??? The Endbringer test card looks exactly like one oversized card cut in half.

aZVg2VL.jpg

Hero

That's most likely how the new BFM cards are going to look like.

How are people still not seeing this?

Angry Grimace

Because that's aesthetically hideous? I mean... if you're going to make things that require two different cards to transform, why wouldn't you use the backs of both? It's cooler, it makes it easier to tell these cards from other DFCs, it has better symmetry and aesthetics, and it explains why these cards require two different fronts to flip -- plus, in this case, the flavor is literally that two different creatures merge together, so having their two cards become one supports that better. Doing it the way you're saying is like such a "just use kicker for everything" pitch.

That's exactly why the mechanic works this way. If it were classic BFM style, if you only have one card it's a blank. This way, each card has a front side that you can play on its own even if you can't meld them. In this case, it's a 2/1 for 2 in black (not unplayable) and a 3/3 with a raise dead (definitely something you'd run in some cases) so you can just treat them as single-faced cards if you can't draft or open both.
It's not only not cooler it's gimmicky as hell. I won't believe that until I see it.

Ashodin

It's not only not cooler it's gimmicky as hell. I won't believe that until I see it.

I can see where you're coming from: they had ugly flip cards that they then realized later DFCs were just way better for the concept. You want to believe they have the foresight now to not make something gimmicky as fuck without looking at how aesthetics and presentation line up.

However, I believe in EMN they want to change the game up just for one small set and make these big cards to make the set stand out.

It sucks in my opinion that these cards will never see print and fit on the same card; however, as a concept, it's cool as hell.

Angry Grimace

You are posting in the OT for a game with 20+ years of history of using gimmicks to distinguish sets and cards from each other and sell packs. "Gimmicky" is a meaningless criticism of a Magic mechanic.
What's the gameplay benefit of a giant card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom