• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s “Eternals” Reviews Are In; if you like Thor : The Dark World then you’ll love this!

cr0w

Old Member
The dedicated MCU fan will continue watching the movies just because it exist in the universe. Whether it's bad or middling they'll continue to support these movies.

Reminds me of the comics in that way. A lot of those left buying comics are those who still just hold on because they've invested so much time into the universe. I stopped reading them because they writing just isn't that good anymore (IMO). I feel a lot of people will do the same with the movies. Average Joe and Jane will see them as "super hero movies" and not watch while the MCU fan will see every movie because it's MCU.

And here I was thinking I was the only one who thought Civil War was a bad movie built up purely on spectacle.

The comic ending with Cap's death was phenomenal, and they just took the skeleton of the story and turned it into one of the most contrived "conflicts" in genre history. Anyone who can criticize the "Martha" scene but turn around and praise Civil War/the MCU after the extreme hoops they had to jump through to make Bucky the Starks' assassin is full of absolute shit. I know it's a comic movie, but that scene alone has some of the biggest leaps in logic I've ever seen.

manfestival

The trailer is weird. It looks fantastical for sure. However, it is hard to tell what is happening or hard to have a reason to care while watching it. Aside from being someone that wants to watch a pretty movie or looking for an excuse to watchin a movie on imax

Doom85

The comic ending with Cap's death was phenomenal, and they just took the skeleton of the story and turned it into one of the most contrived "conflicts" in genre history. Anyone who can criticize the "Martha" scene but turn around and praise Civil War/the MCU after the extreme hoops they had to jump through to make Bucky the Starks' assassin is full of absolute shit. I know it's a comic movie, but that scene alone has some of the biggest leaps in logic I've ever seen.

Nah, the Civil War movie is a masterpiece compared to that garbage comic. The amount of stupid shit in that crossover was legendary (Peter revealing his identity publicly when that was NOT what the Registration Act required, Tony becoming a villain basically, Maria Hill trying to arrest Cap over a law that hadn’t even been passed yet, a reporter saying Cap can’t represent the US because he doesn’t know what an IPod is, one of the most unsubtle resolutions ever in terms of metaphors, etc.) and I was so worried when it was announced Cap 3 would be subtitled Civil War.

Thankfully they fixed all of this, Tony is not a straight up villain, Peter is written well, the characters know how laws work (since here Steve and Sam are arrested for trying to aid an alleged terrorist, not over a law that hadn’t fucking passed yet), etc. Also, Bucky killing the Starks was all but said in Winter Soldier, and how is it contrived, it was well established HYDRA wanted any potential threats to them eliminated and Howard would definitely qualify due to his involvement with SHIELD. They left Tony alone because he was initially only a weapons dealer and once he was Iron Man they knew Bucky might not be able to kill him and attacking Tony might reveal they were still alive post-WW2.

cr0w

Old Member
Nah, the Civil War movie is a masterpiece compared to that garbage comic. The amount of stupid shit in that crossover was legendary (Peter revealing his identity publicly when that was NOT what the Registration Act required, Tony becoming a villain basically, Maria Hill trying to arrest Cap over a law that hadn’t even been passed yet, a reporter saying Cap can’t represent the US because he doesn’t know what an IPod is, one of the most unsubtle resolutions ever in terms of metaphors, etc.) and I was so worried when it was announced Cap 3 would be subtitled Civil War.

Thankfully they fixed all of this, Tony is not a straight up villain, Peter is written well, the characters know how laws work (since here Steve and Sam are arrested for trying to aid an alleged terrorist, not over a law that hadn’t fucking passed yet), etc. Also, Bucky killing the Starks was all but said in Winter Soldier, and how is it contrived, it was well established HYDRA wanted any potential threats to them eliminated and Howard would definitely qualify due to his involvement with SHIELD. They left Tony alone because he was initially only a weapons dealer and once he was Iron Man they knew Bucky might not be able to kill him and attacking Tony might reveal they were still alive post-WW2.

I'm not saying the entirety of the comic was great, but Cap dying was a better payoff than the terrible airport fight/Bucky contrivance/1-800-Hotline-Bling phone Cap left for Tony to call him whenever he felt like hooking back up. Zemo arranging the entire showdown with Cap/Bucky/Stark and having footage from a random camera mounted to a random tree on a back road from 1991 is almost as contrived as Joker being basically clairvoyant in The Dark Knight. I know belief is supposed to be suspended in order for us to get to where we need to get to in comic logic, but I just couldn't get on board with the way they wrote the scene. It's just "we want things to end up here, so lets do whatever we have to in order to make it happen, logic be damned."

Doom85

I'm not saying the entirety of the comic was great, but Cap dying was a better payoff than the terrible airport fight/Bucky contrivance/1-800-Hotline-Bling phone Cap left for Tony to call him whenever he felt like hooking back up. Zemo arranging the entire showdown with Cap/Bucky/Stark and having footage from a random camera mounted to a random tree on a back road from 1991 is almost as contrived as Joker being basically clairvoyant in The Dark Knight. I know belief is supposed to be suspended in order for us to get to where we need to get to in comic logic, but I just couldn't get on board with the way they wrote the scene. It's just "we want things to end up here, so lets do whatever we have to in order to make it happen, logic be damned."

I’d rather take contrivances over the character assassination I felt the comic did. And Cap dying left me cold because it felt like the comic suddenly took a 180 of, “oh, we’re supposed to disagree with Cap now despite any reasonable person being on his side due to the extremes Tony was taking”, hell most pro-registration fans I knew changed their mind before the comic ended due to Tony’s actions. Ending with Steve dying just felt like the last middle finger after so many former friends and allies had just turned on him due to bad writing or acting out of character. In the movie, characters actually talked to each other like friends and allies who just wound up divided over a serious issue and when they had to resort to fighting each other it felt reasonable.

Also, I just assumed Zemo got the footage from a HYDRA member he tracked down as they would have obviously stolen that footage to make sure Bucky wasn’t identified.

tkscz

I agree with both of you. The book (and especially it's sequel) were incredibly stupid. The movie did some things better but as a movie, in my opinion, it's main focus is on spectacle and not character development. While we get plenty of reason for Steven and Tony to be at each other's throats, the reasoning for everyone else is either flimsy (Wanda and Vision) or non-existent (Antman and Hawkeye). Even Black Panther's reason to fight is flimsy when thought about for more than 10 seconds, as he comes to the same conclusion most of the audience came to while they were chasing after Bucky, that getting revenge for this is meaningless. It's no different from Batman being angry with superman in BvS. What do you actually get out of taking down this opponent?

cr0w

Old Member
I’d rather take contrivances over the character assassination I felt the comic did. And Cap dying left me cold because it felt like the comic suddenly took a 180 of, “oh, we’re supposed to disagree with Cap now despite any reasonable person being on his side due to the extremes Tony was taking”, hell most pro-registration fans I knew changed their mind before the comic ended due to Tony’s actions. Ending with Steve dying just felt like the last middle finger after so many former friends and allies had just turned on him due to bad writing or acting out of character. In the movie, characters actually talked to each other like friends and allies who just wound up divided over a serious issue and when they had to resort to fighting each other it felt reasonable.

Also, I just assumed Zemo got the footage from a HYDRA member he tracked down as they would have obviously stolen that footage to make sure Bucky wasn’t identified.

I can see that, yeah. I guess when I read the comic I just found it much more impactful than it ended up being when looking back on it. I also just didn't like where they were taking the characters with the MCU movies anyway before Civil War, so I was nitpicking the shit out of it going in. One thing I'll never backtrack on, though, is how much I hated them giving Steve's "You move" speech to Sharon. Giving such an important speech to a nothing character like Sharon ended up being was inexcusable.

I agree with both of you. The book (and especially it's sequel) were incredibly stupid. The movie did some things better but as a movie, in my opinion, it's main focus is on spectacle and not character development. While we get plenty of reason for Steven and Tony to be at each other's throats, the reasoning for everyone else is either flimsy (Wanda and Vision) or non-existent (Antman and Hawkeye). Even Black Panther's reason to fight is flimsy when thought about for more than 10 seconds, as he comes to the same conclusion most of the audience came to while they were chasing after Bucky, that getting revenge for this is meaningless. It's no different from Batman being angry with superman in BvS. What do you actually get out of taking down this opponent?

Well Batman is fucking crazy and hates not being in control, so he would get the satisfaction of killing the one being on Earth that he considered beyond his abilities to reign in on a regular basis. Better kill him than leave any possibility of him being able to beat you. His whole existence is built on being a massive control freak.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I don't think anyone expected this to be masterpiece. It's the core movies that need to do well.

Amiga

Trailer and cast don't excite. But I expect important revelations about the ongoing MCU story. The role of the Celestials should finally be reveled.

trikster40

I’m just glad we got an Eternals movie before a Datedevil, Punisher, or Ghost Rider. I mean, who’d want to watch those when we clearly have better characters in this movie, amirite?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
According to all the reactions/non-spoiler reviews I've read/listened to... It doesn't exactly follow the MCU formula and is more drama heavy/contemplative than most MCU fare. There also isn't as much action or jokes/one-liners as usual.

That makes me want to watch it MORE! I CAN'T WAIT!

sol_bad

sol_bad sol_bad "Clean up aisle 12, damage control required".

At least wait until there are100 reviews or so. It's currently at 75% on Rottentomatoes. It could go up to the 80's, it could drop to the 60's.
I don't generally block people but I'm going to have to block you if you keep spoiling shit.

Another MCU flop incoming. This phase 4 is very hot right now.

It's been an industry wide hit during COVID, not just the MCU.

2020 domestic - https://www.the-numbers.com/market/2020/top-grossing-movies
1ekjzZO.jpg

2021 domestic - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/2021/
loKbAFE.jpg

Bad Boys and Sonic were released prior to the pandemic. Both Shang Chi and Black Widow top almost everything during the pandemic in 2020 and do top everything in 2021 domestically.

2020 worldwide - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2020/
mwggkAs.jpg

2021 worldwide - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/
5QL0yWV.jpg

On a worldwide scale (removing Chinese movies/box office) Black Widow beats everything from 2020 and Shang Chi was only beaten by Demon Slayer. For 2021, both Black Widow and Shang Chi are in the top 5 (spot #3 and #4) highest grossing films of the year. Godzilla vs Kong only grossed $279 million without China. No Time to Die is released at a time where people are starting to feel more comfortable going back to the cinemas.

Eternals is projected to open at between 80-100 million.

Not much of a big spoiler consider that most people have no idea who he is.

Haven't watch The Eternals, looks like some Bollywood style dress up superhero movie.

It's a spoiler for comic fans.

At least wait until there are100 reviews or so. It's currently at 75% on Rottentomatoes. It could go up to the 80's, it could drop to the 60's.
I don't generally block people but I'm going to have to block you if you keep spoiling shit.

It's been an industry wide hit during COVID, not just the MCU.

2020 domestic - https://www.the-numbers.com/market/2020/top-grossing-movies
1ekjzZO.jpg

2021 domestic - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/2021/
loKbAFE.jpg

Bad Boys and Sonic were released prior to the pandemic. Both Shang Chi and Black Widow top almost everything during the pandemic in 2020 and do top everything in 2021 domestically.

2020 worldwide - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2020/
mwggkAs.jpg

2021 worldwide - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/
5QL0yWV.jpg

On a worldwide scale (removing Chinese movies/box office) Black Widow beats everything from 2020 and Shang Chi was only beaten by Demon Slayer. For 2021, both Black Widow and Shang Chi are in the top 5 (spot #3 and #4) highest grossing films of the year. Godzilla vs Kong only grossed $279 million without China. No Time to Die is released at a time where people are starting to feel more comfortable going back to the cinemas.

Eternals is projected to open at between 80-100 million.

It's a spoiler for comic fans.
Barely anything released in 2020. Venom 2 is going to pass Black Widow. Shang Chi had 5 weeks of no competition and No Time To Die passed it like it was nothing. And both Sonic and Bad Boys are lower budget movies and as it stands the latter has outgrossed both MCU movies.

Thought this might be okay because I dig ancient aliens shit but they all look like cosplayers who walked out of a San Fran coffee shop poetry reading.

Xenon

No big surprise here. Its looking like another group of Enternals won't be getting a sequel. At least fans of this movie won't be tortured by a picture on a console's box.
Sad Cartoon GIF

Spaceman292

Banned
Remind me what Zhao has done to earn such praise though a bad review? This is like when DuVernay did A Wrinkle in Time. "The director is fantastic even if the film is shit." At least Josh Trank got the proper credit for his bad movie.
Funny that all the positive reviews listed mention the director by name, and the negative ones talk about the actual movie

sol_bad

It is honestly really weird how this movie has people peering all over it's review score in the hopes that it fails. And people actually saying it does fail because it currently sits at 76% on RT and 60 on Metacritic. Yet there are no threads about Ghostbusters Afterlife (79% RT, 62 MC) of Last Night in Soho (73% RT, 66 MC) failing .
The haters really do have weird hard on's for the MCU failing.

nush

Then you’re inconsiderate to everyone in this thread. Hope the mods do something about it. Not hard to have respect for everyone else in the thread.

This isn't the OT. It's on you to avoid going into topics not marked spoiler free.

Absolute bullshit you've not seen Harry Styles tweet and reporting of in over a week about this already, when you clicked on this topic.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This isn't the OT. It's on you to avoid going into topics not marked spoiler free.

Absolute bullshit you've not seen Harry Styles tweet and reporting of in over a week about this already, when you clicked on this topic.
Nah, you're being a dick. It takes all of two seconds to cover what is definitely a spoiler. The movie isn't out and that info came from a leak.

Instead you rather take the time to put up an unoriginal and overused meme. It comes across like you're embarrassed you have been called out by people and are too prideful to edit your post. Weird as hell, man.

I already know the info now, but others coming into this thread wont want to see that. Do it for them, not for me. Or don't. Weird flex though.

nush

2qyEhh9.png

When people you disagree with use the empathy reaction thinking it means cry and they inadvertently make themselves look like they are actually agreeing with you. Sad fuck went back through this topic to do that. Weird flex though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

7342de8773ddaceaf4de4d2b7f86cd85.gif

SafeOrAlone

Banned
2qyEhh9.png

When people you disagree with use the empathy reaction thinking it means cry and they inadvertently make themselves look like they are actually agreeing with you. Sad fuck went back through this topic to do that. Weird flex though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

7342de8773ddaceaf4de4d2b7f86cd85.gif
Wow, I really got under your skin.

Lunarorbit

Black widow was the first mcu movie I didn't finish. Like all the actors in it but thought it was boring and stale. Not really excited to watch this either. Dr strange, antman and kang, spiderman... Now we talking

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Black widow was the first mcu movie I didn't finish. Like all the actors in it but thought it was boring and stale. Not really excited to watch this either. Dr strange, antman and kang, spiderman... Now we talking
I'm not dying to see this one, so I agree there, but I'm glad they are trying new things and I hope it rubs off on those other characters like Spider-Man and Dr Strange so we can see them break new ground in their movies.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
thumb.png

No, I'm laughing at you. really. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nah, you mad. We covered this in the resetera thread. Whenever someone starts throwing out as many emojis as possible and acting like they are having the time of their life, while in a spat, they're certainly triggered. Otherwise you wouldn't take the time to do the gifs, emoji's, etc.
You're one step away from calling me "sweet summer child" or "honey".

Sorry. Maybe we can find something we agree on later.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's also got Thanos's brother in it, that's probably adding a %.
Wow, you actually tagged it despite throwing a fit when I asked you to. Smart move.

Edit: nvm, it was a mod. Ahah, Nice. One last "empathy" for the post being taken out of your hands then.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Barely anything released in 2020. Venom 2 is going to pass Black Widow. Shang Chi had 5 weeks of no competition and No Time To Die passed it like it was nothing. And both Sonic and Bad Boys are lower budget movies and as it stands the latter has outgrossed both MCU movies.

Black Widow has made over 500 million including Disney+ receipts. You add that to the total because that was their release strategy. Same as adding HBO Max receipts to Dune's total, $223 million + 24 million or whatever paltry number it was based on 1.9 million accounts watching the film. The reason I bring up Bad Boys and Sonic is due to the fact they were released before the pandemic took effect. During a pandemic release Shang Chi was still able to hit it's current box office and basically beat Bad Boys, an unknown franchise almost (and probably will by the end of it's theatrical run) beating a well known and loved franchise like Bad Boys, during a pandemic release.
And of course No Time to Die passed Shang Chi like nothing, It's a known franchise where as Shang Chi is not. I also stated in one of the Dune threads that I'd consider September as a pandemic month and October as a post pandemic month.

Ionian

images

Agreed and this is now a much better topic.

Stop posting spoilers about my teen boners or I'll msg a mod. :p

She really was something else, seems to have kept her looks as well despite looking miserable everytime she's photographed. But, eh, she married a footballer, par for course.

Always wondered if there's a behind-the-scenes agreement going on, on paper. Has to be, he bangs all the whores groupies/she gets a massive monthly allowance for their own shit. Don't ask / don't tell deal.

Has to be, just how does the missus anchor them down to make things Eternal? (Nice avatar btw).

Last edited:
Top Bottom